Chapter 2: A Day in The House Falcon
55 2 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sunlight poured out the window, illuminating crumpled bed sheets and clothes tossed on the floor. The one to blame was nowhere to be found. A young maid stood alone in the chamber, holding a bow in her hand. She shook her head and picked up the mess. Most would assume that he spent a good portion of the morning snoring, but Hyde found himself at the soldier’s barracks.

“Hey! Good morning!”

The young man strode in the open courtyard, a couple of stone buildings that hosted the majority of Falcon’s soldiers. Several men already present in the grass, some sparring with wooden swords, others fist fighting and some running laps around their area. A couple of them would be taking care of their horses at the stables and a few would have gone to the kitchen to collect their allotted meals.

“Hyde!”

One of the younger soldiers waved—before he was knocked onto the ground. Hyde shook his head, Tom was a good friend but not much of a soldier. Frank, on the other hand, the guy who punched Tom, he was a serious and keen one. He offered a hand to Tom who simply got up by himself, dusting some dirt and grass off his back.

“Greetings, sir Hyde.”

The other soldiers also offered their polite nods and salutations before they went about their businesses. He liked that, nobody tried kissing up to him. So Hyde did his best to return the greetings before he ended up in front of his two friends. He gave a small smile at Frank.

“You could call me Hyde, we’re the same age, us three no?”

“Frank’s a bit older by a couple of months.”

“It would be improper to disregard your station, sir.”

Frank elbowed Tom in the gut, nearly staggering the man back to the ground again. The guy was well-meaning, Hyde respected that.

“Anyhow, you want me to kick your noble-butt?”

“Let me see you try Tom!”

“Is that a good idea…?”

His routine involved training with the soldiers, as the only son of his father, the role of overseeing the soldiers would rest on his shoulders in the future. More importantly, though, it was actually fun. He could sweep through a flurry of blows smoothly or get a bruised eye or two when he was with them. Status, power and position didn’t matter when he was with them. Usually.

The older soldiers were more respectful, but those around his age were relaxed and willing to throw punches at him. Tom began to circle around the young noble, a grin on his face. Hyde clenched his fists and took on a guarded stance. One leg forward and the other slightly behind him, he eyed the soldier’s movement. Tom kept circling and circling him, a lion toying around with its prey.

“Hyah!”

In what seemed to be a blink of an eye, the soldier threw an uppercut at Hyde’s face. The young noble blocked it with his left arm and threw his fist at the male. But Tom had already stepped back, a chuckle escaping the man’s lips.

“I bet four coppers that Hyde gets knocked out.”

“A silver coin, that Tom gets crushed.”

Hyde ignored the other soldiers watching them spar. His sole attention was on Tom, who continued to move around him like it was a walk in the gardens. Hyde’s arm stung slightly but Tom didn’t have much weight to push on him, compared to say, Frank.

“I’ve learned [Flash Movement]”

“That’s cool. Don’t go—”

Hyde felt the air go out his lungs, Tom’s foot crashing on his chest as he appeared in front of him. Only his stance helped keep his feet on the ground and raised both of his arms to block another kick that swept his way. Did the sky blur? Only Tom’s jeering kept him from passing out.

“That’s a foul move.”

“Nothing is fair in battles and spars sir.”

So his opponent really did move in a blink of an eye, Hyde frowned but pushed that thought aside. Skills were nothing when one trained hard, when one’s body moved in instinct and he was on guard. A flash of movement at a corner of his eye, he threw a punch and felt Tom’s fist also connect with his face. It hurt but Tom staggered back on the grass. Some laughter erupted around them.

“Ow.”

“Heh.”

Hyde allowed himself to grin for a moment of satisfaction and not think of the bruise probably forming on his face. One advantage, Tom didn’t think much of his movements—they were slightly predictable. Hit him with a flurry of movements and hope it knocks him out…at least that’s what Tom probably thought right? His opponent touched their jaw and winced.

“You’ve got some power in those skinny arms of yours.”

“Shooting kind of helps develop muscles?”

“Not much one can do with arrows in a fist fight.”

Hyde eyed the male who slowly got up and rolled their shoulders. His opponent seemed to be stretching and taking their time, something to lower down his guard probably. Hyde’s face was a bit sore but Tom didn’t look better off either. He did punch better than Tom, no waste of movements and a good ol blow. If it had been someone with more muscle, Tom would have been knocked out by a square hit in the jaw.

“Well you’re right but—”

“Sir Hyde! Your father requests your presence in the dining hall!”

Hyde slouched at the sight of Gus approaching them, the man seemed to be a master of bad timing. He frowned at the butler.

“Can’t you give me a couple more minutes, I’m sparring with Tom.”

“But sir…”

“Hey, don’t slack off your duties because of me.”

The young soldier waved a hand and grinned, if Hyde knew better—the man was already satisfied with the results of their bout and didn’t want to lose. Plus Tom appeared gracious in this case.

“How kind of you Tom, my thanks.”

“Bring some of those ice treats if you really are!”

Hyde rolled his eyes but nodded his head as his friend grinned in response. A soldier’s ration in House Falcon was better compared to others but still paled to a noble’s meal. It was unfair… he sighed and walked after the butler who was already walking back to the main castle.

It was an awkward moment.

It was like any family, to be honest, they were all seated together to eat breakfast. You just ignore the fact that there were a couple of maids and servant scurrying about and a butler stationed behind them. He, Rhine and his father were situated together in a table that was too long for its own good. Their mother was nowhere to be found for reasons unknown but he had a guess. On the end of said table, their father was reading a parchment, a cup of tea in front of him—slightly gone cold.

“Umm…”

He cleared his throat, dabbing a napkin on his mouth. On the other side of the table, Rhine gave him a raised brow… he looked over to their father.

“Father, where is mother?”

“I believe she is feeling upset.”

After that short reply, his father took a sip of some tea. His face grimaced slightly, most likely because it was cold and motioned a maid to refill his cup. Hyde tossed a look at Rhine, hoping for support… but she was mindfully eating her omelette soufflé. A sigh escaped his lips.

“If you are curious… I think it is because she will miss the two of you dearly.”

“Where are we going, father? How is it that you and mother will not accompany us?”

Hyde tilted his head, he wasn’t too sure if Gus simply slipped the information last night by mistake or his father had directed it that time. Officially though, Hyde had no previous knowledge…thankfully this was also the moment where Rhine did not utter a word as well.

“My son, you and your sister have been chosen by his Majesty to embark to the Zourian Kingdom for diplomatic pursuits.”

“…What if I choose to refuse?”

A rush of silence erupted in the hall, listening maids and servants paused in their places. Rhine took a sip of her drink and gave him a stink eye. He bit back a grin and glanced at their father. It was a dismay that his father didn’t drop his cup, nor did the contents whir at his declaration. But was his father smiling slightly?

“Well, you’d have to raise that complaint to his Majesty himself… but our family has already prepared much for this journey, you two could leave today at once.”

“It’s just an overwhelming task… I’m not sure if I and Rhine are suited for this diplomacy.”

“We shall rise up to the challenge, or at least I shall do my best father for the sake of our family. It’s a chance to prove ourselves to his Majesty and I for one would like to take it.”

Hyde held himself back from shaking his head or groaning. Of course, expect his sister to oppose him… or at least actually want to this thing.

“Why Rhine, we cannot force your brother to accompany you if he dislikes it. Perhaps his Majesty shall be lenient and accept that only you would travel to the Zourian Kingdom.”

“I do not mind if it would only be me. Perhaps it’s even better and suitable.”

Rhine had raised her chin ever slightly, a thing that she always sort of did when they were younger… he frowned. He wouldn’t trust Rhine to travel alone—who knows what she’d do? He thought of his sister returning with an engagement ring, or some suitors chasing after her. He shuddered at the thought.

“What’s with that expression Hyde? Are you not glad?”

“Well…”

Hyde crossed his arm over his chest, looking down at his half-eaten bacon and fried eggs. Of course, his father would want him to go on this trip; it was only natural to want to foster goodwill. But now he’s playing the ‘if he does not want to, then don’t force him’ tactic. He didn’t like where this was going…

“Regardless of Hyde’s choice, I would like to journey to Zourian kingdom, father.”

“Of course Rhine, if Hyde does not want to accompany you—then your mother and I would surely appreciate his presence when we attend Lord Wes’ ball this coming week.”

Hyde looked up from his plate and stared at his father who said it so casually. If he had been unsure of his father motivations, now it was laid out in the open. A threat. An open intimidation technique. He could feel his mouth dry and his thoughts lose their coherence. His father was surely no leader by namesake alone.

“…well now that I think of it, I don’t trust Rhine to be able to handle this alone. It seems I’ll have to go with her.”

“Wha-?! You jest brother!”

“Are you sure Hyde? You had qualms earlier.”

“…It was only a thought father, I understand the importance of this task. It would be an honour to serve the king.”

“Then you shall.”

0