Chapter 4: Upset Mother and Roseberry Tarts
29 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hyde wanted to give his father a tiny favour, or at least make his mother go see them out before they leave. However, it was mostly to see the look that’d be written across the old man’s face when she does go out. The young man made his way across the numerous walls of the castle, no guards wandering about outside of his mother’s current chambers for a good reason. He wondered how long the two have been arguing about this diplomatic envoy.

“Mother?”

The door swung open and a maid scurried out with roseberry fruit tarts and honey lemon tea still atop the tray, his mother’s favourite foods. At least his father had the decency to memorize his wife’s favoured treats, but still to no avail. The maid rushed out the hallway like she’d seen a ghost, which would probably be his mom if she’d been throwing tantrums all night.

“Go away Hyde! I don’t want to talk to anyone!”

Hyde caught the door before it could slam shut. He took a peek into pitch darkness, where was his mother? He sighed to himself and tilted his head a bit to look at the huddle of blankets on the bed. A small floating orb caught his attention, it was moving around without its purpose. He grabbed it and shook it for a bit before the orb finally drew out a gentle glow and he threw it towards his mother’s bedside. Light orbs were odd things; he still preferred candles most of the time.

“I might actually go away… to Zourian Kingdom you know?”

“NO!”

The vehemence was dripping in his mother’s tone as her head poked out from the blankets. Her green eyes were flashing at him. The young noble bit back a wince, he wondered if Rhine also had the capacity to burst his ear drums as well. Was that a girl thing? It was more reasons for him to avoid girls if this was the case.

“What’s so wrong with me and Rhine leaving to Zourian Kingdom?”

He sighed and leaned back against the stone wall, its rough texture was actually comforting to him in some way. Maybe it was like rubbing his back on a tree bark? He heard some sniffling coming from the female.

“It’s… dangerous!”

“Mother, his Majesty himself ordered us to go… what can a little danger do against gaining the disapproval of our king? You know what happened to those who displease the king.”

“You don’t understand Hyde, if it’s simply the politics that would be occurring at Zourian—by all means, go ahead. But you’d have to travel through the Land of Nyx.”

“Land of Nyx? Isn’t that supposed to be a desert? Tundra?”

“A wasteland.”

“Um, what’s the difference?”

“You’re my favourite son but you ought to pay attention to the history lessons more.”

He watched his mother shook her head, a smile crossing on her lips. The young man shrugged in return, what were history lessons when the world was before your eyes? He’d only have to reach out and take it, which was how he felt atop the tallest tree tops while hunting for birds. The sky seemed so close to reach, the birds in the air seemed to fit in his hand… that was how a nine year old Hyde ended up on the ground, his back fractured in many ways that he could remember.

“My dear son isn’t even paying attention to his poor mother.”

“Huh?”

His mother was now up from the bed, stretching out her arms and craning her neck, it was as if she was off to her own spar against a thing called life. Hyde shook his head, he got lost in down the memory lane again.

“Your father promised me that he’d have his butler with you. I hope he’s as competent as rumors say.”

“Gus?”

“Oh never mind me, I’m going out and check if they at least managed to enchant the carriage properly.”

Hyde frowned for a moment but nodded, there was something up with the butler. But as his mother began to march out her room, he could do nothing but trail after his mother. Like tiny ducks waddling to their mother. He chuckled to himself, gaining an odd look from his mother but who decidedly kept walking, purpose apparent in each step. He had a clue to where it was going to be.

The kitchen.

“Where are my tarts?!”

Okay, he didn’t exactly figure out that her first stop would be the kitchen. Hyde assumed she’d storm to his father’s study room. But as the woman he called his mother devoured the roseberry tarts like no tomorrow, he wondered on how his father and mother actually got along.

“A-ah, Eva you’re here.”

Hyde wanted to shake his head—the Protector of the Borders was demure. Howard the Great walked in the kitchen like some timid boy. Even the chef in the kitchen seemed to notice the unease as the male kneaded some dough, the chef whistling to himself and acting busy. Some of the servants were washing dishes and others were going about the room, they soon disappeared. His mother paid no heed to her husband, continuing to eat her tarts. Hyde’s father cleared his throat.

“Francois, are there any tarts left?”

“Mine.”

“Okay, I’ll have some tea perhaps.”

Mine.

The woman hissed at the older man while pulling the platter of roseberry tarts and practically spilling the tea in the pot as she moved them closer to her. Hyde sighed to himself; this would take quite a bit of time. He tried to grab a tart but received a slap on the hand.

Ow.”

“Fine, you can get one tart Hyde.”

Hyde watched his mother glance at the plate of tarts, her lips pursed together. She picked up a very thin one and shoved it in his mouth. A begrudged expression, mixed with some slight satisfaction.

“You’re welcome.”

“M-moth—”

“Don’t chew when your mouth is full.”

Howard let out an audible sigh, earning him a glare from the woman. At least she finally decided to come out of the room.

0