Chapter 5: Hyde and The Squad
31 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The young noble wasn’t so sure if it was the best of plans, his father and mother were in each other’s presence now. The two walked with him through the hallways, soldiers and servants pressing themselves to the walls as the head of the house and his wife passed them. Not enough time for any pleasantries. Hyde shook his head, was this a race to the courtyard? They were practically storming and trying to outpace the other. His mother wanted to check on the last minute preparations while his father wanted to see them off.

“The Marquess and Marchioness Falcon with Sir Hyde approaches!”

A male servant standing by the archway managed to declare as they all emerged into their destination. The courtyard was in frenzy, there were soldiers all over the place along with servants—but that announcement visibly silenced the crowd. He saw folks pause in loading their luggage into the carriage. Hyde then saw his sister under the barrack’s roof with his friends. That was a pleasant surprise, how’d they all end up together?

“Guess who’ll be seeing us go?”

He waved at the girl and walked towards her and his friends. Soldiers and servants were clearing a path for him. Most likely because his mother and father were just behind him. Rhine curtsied when they arrived, and began to talk to their mother and father. Hyde frowned as he watched his friends retreat away from him. He walked over towards them, and gave them a grin.

“You lots avoiding me?”

“Not at all Hyde, we are simply giving your parents and your sister their privacy.”

Hyde glanced at Cedric, and shrugged in reply as the others nodded or said their own agreements. Cedric Darby had a point, he always had a point. The young noble sighed internally. They were all his friends, people around his age who were willing to look at him on an equal standing, usually, but it didn’t mean that he liked each of them equally. It was an irrational thing, but that was feelings right?

“Soo Hyde….”

“What?”

Hyde glanced at Tom, the male looking as devious as ever with a grin on his face. Somehow, he shouldn’t have preferred Tom over Cedric. The guy was more than often teasing him, always challenging him to sparring and had other agendas he’d rather not be part with. But Tom was Tom. So there’s not much argument for that.

“Your sister.”

“What about my sister?”

Tom still held onto a grin that Hyde wasn’t too keen on at the moment. He crossed his arms and threw a glance at his sister who seemed to be squabbling with their mother. Ordinary girl and noble activities? It was something he liked to avoid. At the corner of his eyes, his dad was talking to Gus, and while he wanted to eavesdrop…there was an important conversation on hand. What did Tom want with his sister?

“I didn’t know your sister was pretty.”

“Hey! You just said that she looked like Hyde with a wig!”

“What?!”

He tore his gaze back to Jaime, probably the youngest soldier that his father had. James was an earnest kid though, forget the fact that they were just about two years apart. Hyde then proceeded to scowl at Tom, how could he possibly look feminine? Or did that mean Rhine didn’t look much of a girl? Wait till she heard about that.

“I was kidding!”

“Uh huh… I’d rather not imagine that you like my sister or… me?”

Hyde tried not to think of that and shudder. He understood that some people fancied people of the same sex, but he never experienced any attraction of sorts yet and found it as disgusting as a young boy who avoided cooties. More than a couple of ladies during balls had given him an inviting smile, but a couple of misgivings on the dance floor had them giving him stink eyes.

“What!? That’s disgusting man! Also who said I liked her? I said she was pretty that’s all.”

“Then you’re objectifying her?”

“What’s wrong with saying what I think? You don’t have to argue about stuff like that—I don’t care for it!”

Hyde tilted his head, and laughed at the upset expression on Tom’s face. This was why he liked Tom, the guy wasn’t afraid to say what was on his mind. It was fun teasing the guy when he had the chance.

“Alright. I was just kidding. My sister… is okay?”

“That’s like saying you don’t look half-bad.”

“Whatever. Here’s me hoping she doesn’t get married though.”

“Aww, so she’s taken?”

“Not really, but you know—what if a prince fancied her when we get there? It’d be trouble for me.”

The young noble shrugged once more. With his friends… it wasn’t so bad to express his thoughts. He and his sister were nearly eighteen, it was around the age where young ladies often get engaged. Marry this and marry that, increase the influence over here and amass wealth over there. It was a bit stupid that his sister would most likely be the bargaining chip for an alliance—which Rhine was more than willing to fulfil.

“Why are you so concerned? Are you a sister-con?”

“A what now?”

“Oh nothing~”

He frowned at Jaime who tried to look as innocent as ever. Where did the guy learn his terms? Hyde was concerned about his sister, it didn’t matter that they weren’t as close as before—he still cared.

“It just doesn’t make any sense to want an alliance with Zourian Kingdom? Haven’t we lived pretty much isolated?”

“Ah not really sir Hyde, we import a lot of goods from the Estrad continent up north.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, I used to unload a lot of goods at my home town, we’re the port city for the kingdom.”

“Oh right, you used to work as a labourer?”

“That’s correct.”

“Interesting. I’ll remember that.”

“No you won’t~”

Hyde grimaced at Jamie’s comment about his memory. How many times did Frank mention it before? He would have remembered that right? Yes, he would. He glanced at the taller man, a thoughtful look on their face. Nostalgia? That was probably it, but why did Frank end up at the Falcon’s territory if he missed home? He pursed his lips, he should try to remember other details about his friends—but it’s not like they had mini talk sessions, for goodness sake! They spent most of the time sword fighting and sparring or getting kicked about by the horses.

“Hey, what’s on your mind pal?”

Hyde lifted and dropped the arm Tom draped across his shoulder before he let out a breath. He was thinking too much again. There was a lot to worry about though, so it was only fair right?

“Nothing, just wondering how you guys ended up in this escort mission. I assumed that father would have chosen more experienced soldiers for an important envoy you know? His Majesty himself ordered us to go.”

“Oh that’s easy, we bribed for this.”

“What?!”

“Dude, you’re getting more surprised than usual. I was kidding, I have no idea why we got picked… did we draw lots or something, and Jaime picked for us? Boy, we’re unlucky aren’t we? Heard that Zourian Kingdom is reaaaaal far.”

Tom looked at his fellow soldiers for any ideas. He didn’t receive much of an answer from their looks and shrugs except for a frown from the much younger soldier. The young man then shrugged and looked back at their noble companion.

“Maybe they just wanted us greenhorns to get some experience? We’ve been pretty much cooped up in here you know?”

“That’s because we’re in an era of peace, thanks that the Demon King has been vanquished.”

Cedric pointed out with a good natured smile. Hyde wanted to barf right then and there, but both of them had a point. He had heard of wars droned to him and Rhine by their personal tutor years back, but it was because of their people’s efforts that their kingdom could enjoy peace for a good duration of time now.

“Oh, right that—they took long enough to solve that problem eh?”

“Aw come on Tom, it’s not funny.”

“I know Jaime, that’s why they should have gotten rid of the demons quicker.”

“I guess, but they already did their best right? A lot of people died…it’s not that nice making a joke out of it or making a comment like that.”

Hyde held back a grimace, soldiers might be usually easy going but debates about war and battles were almost as bad as lords and ladies of their realm squabbling over land and influence. The young noble cleared his throat, before the others could join in the talk.

“So you guys think it’s unlucky that you have to escort me and my sis to Zourian Kingdom?”

“Aww, are Hyde’s little feelings hurt?”

“Very funny. I mean I get that Zourian is quite distant—but think of it as an expedition of sorts? We’ll get to stop at towns and probably hunt in the woods no doubt.”

“They say it’s not about the destination but the journey? Is what you are trying to say sir Hyde?”

“Exactly, Cedric!”

There wasn’t much enthusiasm being gathered with his statements, but at least it was enough to pull off the topic away from the demons of the past and perhaps move onto to the future. No matter what it exactly held…

0