Chapter 6: Set Off!
23 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“You two will take good care of each other alright?”

 

The Marchioness stood outside of the coach, a beautiful white carriage that was to be pulled by two stallions courtesy of the Flores House. Alas, it failed to awe any who was admiring it at the moment with the dampening aura the woman was exuding—she couldn’t help it.

 

Eva Falcon’s smile was tight-lipped as she reminded her children for the umpteenth time to be careful.

 

“I’ll try not to kill Rhine while we’re on the trip.”

 

“How pleasant, brother. Try if you will.”

 

The young man returned Eva’s concern with a smile, but even she could tell it was a weary one as Hyde leaned back on the furbished upholstery. How dangerous would the travel be? It seems hardly anybody except her and a few would know. Even history was silent on this matter.

 

“You two used to be so close, I remember the time when Hyde got stuck—”

 

“Mother, don’t bring up embarrassing childhood stuff.”

 

She had done her best to prevent it, but only fortune and fate could tell if they were to arrive in their destination. It was absolutely madness but if news of an invasion was right, only an alliance with its former trade partner could help. She despised it though, it could have been anyone but her children were the ones chosen.

 

The Marchioness glanced at the courtyard, even their father was overseeing the last luggages that were being holstered into the trunk. At least he had the decency to supervise the preparations; otherwise she’d have given him an earful.

 

“You know, I have the feeling that I’ll be taking care of my brother more than he could possibly do anything for me. I’ll be making sure he doesn’t humiliate our kingdom, mother.”

 

Rhine, the young woman’s voice was confident and assured. After all, the two of them did study and prepare for such things like diplomacy, history and social etiquette. At least Rhine did. It was a chance for the young woman to prove herself, her brother was the heir to their family… she needed to be someone. Marrying a handsome lord was fine and all, but she was no trophy to be presented—she was capable for more.

 

“Of course dear, I know you will.”

 

The young lady blinked, narrowing her eyes at her mother. She doubted the words, her mother was distracted it seemed—whatever the reason, she chose to relish the approval that the woman could give. It wasn’t that she was starved, but her mother’s words often cut too deep. Even other noblemen and ladies were careful not too upset their mother, perhaps out of her position as Marchioness but more likely for that cutting tongue of hers. She begrudgingly respected her mother for that.

 

“Thank you, mother.”

 

Hyde wanted to sniff, did his mother really agreed with Rhine? He avoided a lot of social events but he was positive that he had enough charm and wit to talk with the king of Zourian Kingdom. There was also the fact that it was still hard for a lady to gain audience with the king or other representatives of a kingdom no matter how much social grace his sister had. Which he’d hate to admit wasn’t all that much.

 

“Rhine doesn’t need to worry too much about me, I’ll do fine… and maybe she won’t need to get married to anybody.”

 

“Aww, are you that concerned with me brother?”

 

“On second thought, get married and stay in Zourian Kingdom. That would be the best for us.”

 

“Hey!”

 

Hyde laughed and dodged the young woman’s fist and blocked the other. Rhine was still a bit of an oddity with their peers for her fascination with spells and the arcane magic. Her good point was at least her willingness to engage with light conversation and dancing with the opposite sex. The young man avoided everybody except perhaps for those with enchanted dancing shoes—at least they won’t step on him, but he often did the stepping in that case.

 

“Is everything ready Howard?”

 

Their mother smiled at the banter the two were engaging, she needed to visit her own siblings when she had the chance. She crossed her arms and raised a brow at her husband, a frown curdling her lips. The man unable to get them out of the mess of a journey, the head of the house Falcon—the bird that retreated in danger as she’d often poke fun at him from before. The man was loyal to a fault.

 

“Of course dear, the carriage has everything it needs. The gifts for the Zourian Kingdom are already stowed away and the other horses are ready to go. What do you think Gus?”

 

“Ah, milord, I think if we travel today we can reach the closest village by sundown. The roads are good as far as I heard, we’re not expecting much of a downpour.”

 

As expected of the man to ask support from his butler, she eyed the said man idly. His estimate was sound but if more experienced soldiers, or perhaps if knights came around—they’d cover more ground. He wasn’t all that impressive, but what exactly made this one reliable? She hoped to never find out.

 

“Perfect, I don’t want any bandits or thieves laying a hand on my son and daughter. Nobody else but the royal family and some select families know of His decree to ensure safe passage but I don’t want to take any chances.”

 

“Oh please Howard, some experience would be good for them. As long as they don’t meet one of the big organizations the royal army still failsto capture, it’d be fine. Get Hyde shooting some arrows on moving targets and Rhine’s aim for spells improving.”

 

“Eva, we don’t want them getting postponed.”

 

“Please, your men should be able to take care of matters. Or are you saying that your soldiers are inexperienced? I knew it—too complacent over the years, it’s such a shame.”

 

“I doubt the king would choose the Falcon family to oversee this envoy if he didn’t trust its capacity to get to Zourian Kingdom.”

 

She was dragging out a nonsense conversation with her husband but she had to admit it, her children were sheltered and though the reasons were sound—the demon lord’s conquest on the land had kept them cooped up in the walls of the Falcon Fortress… but it was still a weakness that needed to be erased before they reach past the borders of their kingdom.

 

When she was their age, she’d been fighting with trolls that ravaged their lands and also getting the evil eye from other young ladies. She sighed softly, until she noticed the young man who sneaked out of the carriage. He gave her an unconvincing glare, now what was the boy up to?

 

“You know, we can hear you mother.”

 

“So this is why she wants us to take care of each other? I won’t take it too kindly if somebody stages bandits to ‘mess’ with us.”

 

Rhine scoffed from within the carriage, rather uncaring that her brother just stepped out of the carriage. After all, it would be better if her brother just stayed behind. At least she would not worry about the young nobleman embarrassing the two of them or harassing any idiotic female who showed an interest.

 

“I’ll shoot an arrow through their eyes!”

 

“Please Hyde, you have the aim of a squirrel trying to hit a bird with an acorn.”

 

“Is that good?”

 

“Squirrels don’t do that you idiot.”

 

“Well it means you can’t actually measure how good a squirrel is!”

 

“A bird wouldn’t be flying too low to get hit by an acorn. Why are we even arguing about this nonsense, get back in the carriage so we can leave already.”

 

An amused smile formed on the Marchioness’ lips, the two would hate to admit but they still cared for one another. She tossed a glance on her husband, the man’s gaze unreadable despite the years they’ve been together. Perhaps it had been one of the things that she was fond of at a younger age, but now it was merely a pain the ass.

 

“A few words from your father before you depart as the diplomatic envoy of his Majesty.”

 

“Now children…”

 

The man cleared his throat, capturing the attention of the two youths. His wife had thrust him to make a last minute speech, but he did intend to speak of a few reminders with his children. He inwardly sighed, they weren’t children as much as the man may have liked to imagine. A good deal of time had passed when the man returned to his estate but he could do nothing about it. He could only trust that they prove capable to fulfil the King’s orders.

 

“It is a great honour that our family have been chosen by His Majesty to embark on this mission. It may seem odd that he suddenly chose to do this, but there is wisdom in his edict for diplomacy. The Eriss and Zourian Kingdoms were once profitable allies, but communications collapsed during the war against the demons.”

 

“Father, please forgive my interruption but do we not have fruitful dealings with the nations overseas? We have to travel through the wasteland of Heres, something that most merchants and traders would be disinclined to travel through.”

 

“That is correct Rhine, but it is still a wise decision to rekindle good relationship with Zourian. His Majesty chose to assign it to the two of you to usher in the restoration of such things as it will allow the new generation of the two kingdoms to have a chance in leading developments like this.”

 

Rumors of invasion from the north was something he doubted, the cost of over sea travel was great deterrent to many. Plus he didn’t want to put too much strain on his children’s shoulders. It was their first time to have a task thrust on them, adding a burden that they absolutely needed to have an alliance with a kingdom that kept to itself for years and had a notorious reputation would buckle the knees of even the most trained diplomat.

 

“Can I ride on horseback?”

 

“Way to ruin father’s speech Hyde.”

 

“You’d prefer riding a carriage, try to keep your sister company. My butler shall be accompanying the two of you though in my stead.”

 

Hyde frowned, first because his friends were going to mock him for riding inside a carriage. Even Jaime had opted out from riding the carts filled with their supplies. Now he already had an idea that Gus would be accompanying them—the butler himself revealing the information a night ago, but still he found it suspicious. His mother had spouted something about the butler and their father trusted the butler to watch over them and the travelling soldiers.

 

“Well, at least there’s someone who’d be able to make decent tea around here. Rhine gorges hers with too much sugar.”

 

“Oh shut up Hyde, you’re just delaying our trip.”

 

A cough from their father had them shutting up, a tiny smile on their mother’s face. He looked stern but also tired despite it not being too much past the morning, they just finished breakfast. Hyde wondered if it had also been because of the same worries that his mother had.

 

“Apologies for the squabbles, father.”

 

Rhine inclined her head respectfully inside the carriage while Hyde grumbled and also bowed. He proceeded to step back into the carriage, looking enviously at his friends who were all getting on their horses. A snicker escaped his lips as Tom’s horse acted too rowdy like him and nearly threw the young soldier off, well at least he wouldn’t have to fuss too much over a horse’s temperament.

 

“Hopefully this journey helps the two of you get along better, but now everything is all set. I wish the two of you luck.”

 

“Send me letters you two!”

 

Hyde and Rhine received a quick embrace from their mother who bolted into the carriage faster than Tom could have done. The young man was more than happy although surprised as he returned his mother’s warm gesture before the woman pulled away and joined their father’s side. The butler finally stepped inside the carriage, the young noble looked back at his parents.

 

“Can’t we stay here for lunch though?”

 

“No, now set off now. Non enim vale!”

Hiya~! 'Non enim vale' is a Latin phrase that means 'for it is not goodbye'. Random tidbits. :3

0