Chapter 9: Carts and Conversations
22 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Everything seemed to slow down. The cart was moving, but at a pace that he could have easily avoided. Shouts were ringing in his ears as the wooden vehicle drew closer. He should move, but his legs were paralyzed into their place. 

“[Gust]!”

A strong wind blasted him off into the forest, a testament of his sister’s skills. He hit a trunk before he ended up in some bushes and brambles. Hyde blinked, were there some angry squeals? Dark spots circled his line of sight until he noticed the cart speed past the spot he had been, continuing its solo journey to who knows where.

Once the cart left his view, he saw his sister gripping their butler’s arms. Her face pale as she met his gaze. She staggered onto the butler. Hyde’s chest pinched at that, was she that worried?

“Rhine…ow!”

He rubbed at his cheek and glanced down to see a bunch of furious squirrels and several acorns littered on the ground. Some of the squirrels chattered angrily at him, one of them seemed to have taken the liberty to throw an acorn at his face while others chewed on his footwear. Hyde grimaced at the sight, well this was an unexpected turn of things.

The young man hoped they weren’t feral as he stood up, dusting leaves off his trousers and throwing off the squirrels’ balance. He returned his gaze to his sibling and raised a hand.

“Hey, I’m okay!”

“You idiot!”

“Okay, bad time.”

Hyde sheepishly ran his fingers through his hair, what exactly had happened? How did a cart end up going haywire in the first place? He walked over to his sibling, glancing around suspiciously for any other mishaps. He stopped at the sight of his friend. 

“Hey James—are you okay?!”

The sight of the young man crouched up on the ground, rather dusty, made Hyde wince. James merely flashed him a smile and stood up while assisting an old man. Hyde could guess that it was the cart driver.

“I’m good! How about you-“

James glanced back, right at the moment that Hyde saw Tom disappear into the forest.

“Er, Tom is probably gonna try and get the horses back.”

“Good for him.”

Hyde nodded his head, albeit frowning slightly. How’d that happen? But talking about getting—he whirled around to the sight of the cart disappearing in the distance.

“The cart! It could hit some traveller!”

He tried not to imagine a random person flung into the air, or more realistically trodden over by the wooden vehicle. He had a feeling that it would hurt more than regular wood, and at the speed it had been going—

“I’ll go retrieve it sir Hyde.” 

The butler spoke up, a calm expression on his face. Hyde wasn’t sure if it was because the man was a butler, or if the man himself was quite suitable to be able to act as an unfazed butler to be able to wear an expression of such professionalism. Nevertheless, he didn’t trust that catching enchanted carts were part of his job description.

“Gus, maybe you could get assistance from–“

“Lady Rhine, could I please trust you on lunch preparations? I am assured that any turbulence would not ruin the prepared food in the trunk.”

“You can count on me sir Gus, I’ll have it done in no time.”

Hyde closed his mouth, watching the butler ask his sister for help and Rhine agreeing without much of a fuss. The butler then talked with the soldiers. He watched Frank and another soldier ride into the direction where Tom dove in. Three of the soldiers began unloading logs of wood from another cart that thankfully stayed with its driver.

“Um, anything I can do Gus?”

“If you are experiencing any dizziness or fatigue, please take some time to recover sir Hyde. I imagine being flung to a tree as quite an unpleasant experience.”

“I’m actually fi—”

He started to protest but was cut off once again.

“It could have been more unpleasant if you were hit by the cart. So I please ask of you to take a seat for a moment, and perhaps assist your sister with the food preparations if you will. If you shall excuse me sir.”

The butler bowed to him before he approached a soldier on horseback. The soldier promptly got off and allowed the butler to take off into the road without even a bat of an eye. The man soon vanishing into the cart’s previous course, the young noble sighed to himself and gazed at the rest of the people already doing something. He should really help.

“Rhine, move over.”

His sister was taking out enchanted silverware from the carriage’s trunk and putting them atop a small table. There were glasses, plates, knives, forks and other utensils—it was like they packed a dining set.  They all came from a chest that had more space than it looked, the words ‘Sustenance’ engraved on the shiny latch. He glanced at another chest where his name was engraved ‘Hyde’s stuff’.   

“Hey! Quit scooting over here.”

“I’m looking for something.”

“Then just tell me!”

“It’s fine, I can get it—there we go.”

Hyde opened the lid and dug his hand inside, mentally chanting the items in mind. The chest spewed out the bow and a quiver full of arrows right at him. He winced and picked up the fallen objects, carefully checking the weapon, no cracks or splinters at all with the wood. He sighed in relief and slung quiver across his shoulder.

“Are you insane?”

“What?”

He looked at the furious expression of his sister, face almost as red as their hair.

“If you didn’t place your arrows properly, we could have gotten shot!”

Hyde’s shoulders sagged slightly, she was right there. Enchanted items were tricky, especially the chest and trunk variants. His tutor once told the story of a merchant that got stabbed by their own spears after hazardously dumping his wares inside. The maid must have placed his bow and arrows along with other luggage, efficient on space but quite deadly. But she didn’t need to be so upset with him. He frowned at his sister.

“Well, I didn’t put my bow and arrows here, somebody else did. But I’ll keep these on my person then.”

“You’d be taking up too much space inside the carriage.”

“Would you rather I misplace them in the trunk and get myself shot the next time I open it?”

“I would have placed an axe instead.”

“You’re scary as mother.”

“Just don’t bother me right now Hyde, I’ll be preparing lunch.”

Hyde wanted to point out that she’d be just taking out the containers already holding the cooked food but held his tongue. He mock bowed and moved out of the way. Rhine gave him a stink eye but concentrated on pulling out the other items from the trunk.

“Now what to hunt…”

Hyde glanced at the forest ground; the squirrels were still collecting the acorns on the ground. They were all concentrating on storing up their food, so they were easy prey. He hesitated for a moment, he was the reason why they were all defenseless in the first place. He glanced at everybody else doing something, they were all rather distanced from the forest so the squirrels hardly paid heed to them.

He slowly drew an arrow from his quiver, carefully notching it on his bow.

“Ooh, catching game?”

“…!”

The arrow slipped from his grip, before another person caught it in between their fingers. Hyde glanced up at the familiar face of Cedric, the soldier’s lips twitching a bit in amusement. Hyde forced a smile. How could he have not noticed?

“You surprised me there.”

“I got you bad didn’t I? Apologies, it was not my intention to shock you.”

“Ah it’s…”

Hyde returned his gaze to the forest, just in time to see the squirrels scurrying away from them. One of them even shot him a nasty look. Well there goes the game then. He sighed inwardly and looked back at Cedric. The guy didn’t mean any harm right?

“Fine. Don’t worry about it.”

“Oh, they got away…”

“Squirrels don’t have much meat, it’s fine. I was just a bit bored.”

“Ah yes, the woes of most nobles around our age.”

Hyde raised a brow at Cedric, he would have crossed his arms if he didn’t have the bow.

“What do you mean by that?”

“Oh, it’s just a thing my father used to say. He tells me and my brothers that back in their time, they did much more than just lounging around, attending ball parties and chasing ladies.”

“Really? Sounds like something my mom would complain about.”

“He thinks our generation is lazy and ungrateful—‘it hasn’t even been a decade since the demon lord was defeated by us and you guys are bored? Nonsense!’… That’s what he said, although as far as I know, he was mostly in charge of keeping our farm lands than actually fighting demons.”

There was a slight edge in Cedric’s voice that Hyde wasn’t used to. He wasn’t too sure on what to say to that statement. Did Cedric’s father have a point? Most likely…

“Um…”

“Ah, I said too much didn’t I? Please forget it. You’re just quite a comfortable person to talk to, you know?”

“Ah, I didn’t know that?”

The soldier laughed and jabbed his shoulder—which actually hurt with the metal gauntlet and all. Hyde tried not to let it show on his face.

“You’re being too modest Hyde, but in all honesty that’s what we like about you!”

“Being modest?”

He tilted his head, rubbing his sore shoulder as casual as possible. Hyde wasn’t actually sure on how he’d describe himself, nice? It was always hard to measure oneself without bias after all. He looked at Cedric who seemed to be thinking, his fingers grasping his chin. Hyde bit back a groan, did anybody really do that?

“Well that isn’t the best choice of word, relaxing? Calm? You’re great with simple folks like us, you never make it seem like you’re different or better than us.”

“Simple? You’re also a noble, Cedric!”

“I’m the nth son of a small lord who is in charge of agricultural lands. I’m not really that much. I’m probably just an extra child who’d better be off marrying a lady of greater status or groveling on my older brothers.”

Hyde frowned at the notion given, was that how a noblemen see their children as? Pawns for their own agenda?  He couldn’t help but take note of sibling hierarchy. He was somewhat aware that some older siblings tend to boss around younger ones or perhaps the youngest was spoiled to the core, but he couldn’t say much. That was a difference between him and Rhine from others. They were twins.

His mother still kept up the little guessing game, never telling who between them was the first born.

“Ah, I must be boring you again…”

There was a sheepish expression on Cedric’s face. Hyde mentally slapped his forehead, he shouldn’t be thinking too much.

“No, I was just thinking—”

“If I worried you about my story, I can assure you that I have no intention of seducing your sister for any political or wealth purposes.”

Hyde gawked at the serious expression of the male. This statement he wished was completely out of earshot of anybody—especially his sister. Heavens forbid the guy incur her wrath, even he would pity the guy.

“W-wha?”

“Feel free to loose an arrow through my head if I actually do anything like that.”

Cedric handed him the arrow that Hyde forgot was with the soldier. The arrowhead was pointing into the blond man’s direction, perhaps a show of complete sincerity—Hyde could have just thrust it into the young man’s throat and be over with it. Cedric’s resolve unnerved him as he returned the arrow to its brethren.

“Um thanks Cedric.”

“It is my plea—”

The guy staggered as Hyde’s eyes widened. James, or more called by them as Jaime slung his arms around Cedric’s shoulders as the soldier tried to carry the burden on his back. Jamie looked at him with a grin.

“Hey are you two fighting~? Tom’s going to get jealous.”

“What?! No, not ever. What makes you think that? We’re friends right Cedie?”

“U-uh yes Hyde, can you please get off me Jamie?”

Hyde waved his hands, which also meant that it seemed like he was waving his bow like an idiot. He stopped moving and looked at Jamie, somewhat relieved that his presence now took out the awkwardness between him and Cedric. Hyde was actually starting to commiserate with him and that was somewhat new.  

“Aww you two are calling each other with pet names now.”

Jamie gushed at them before he was promptly thrown off by Cedric who mock glared at him. Okay, let Hyde retract his statement on relief with the young man’s arrival. He wished the others were back now, but catching horses was no easy task unless you were a beast tamer.

“You’re going to break my back someday James. You’re wearing armor you know?”

“Meanie, Frank can carry me around with no problem.”

“He has skills in the areas of [Strength] and [Stamina], I don’t.”

“Ah you’re such a softie. Maybe I’ll go help Lady Rhine with the cooking~”

Before James could even move an inch towards his sister, Hyde already grasped the back of his armor plate.

“We keep the food in enchanted pots and whatnot, no need for any ‘help’ from you kiddo.”

A small whine erupted from James, making Hyde chuckle and shake his head. Should he be happy that his friend is starting to show interest in girls? He still couldn’t get over the ‘him in a wig’ remark though… but he eventually let the young man go.

James bolstered back to the old man, the young soldier talking with the man again. Hyde took a note to introduce himself later, anyhow, Cedric was still beside him. The young man wore a half-smile, although his attention was also on James.

“He’s quite animated isn’t he? Jamie’s too young to be a soldier.”

“Well, as you said, we’re lucky to be in an era of peace so there’s not much to worry about.”

“And the pay is good as well, one of the reasons why my father didn’t complain much with me joining the troops.”

“Really? I thought it was because the food fared better than other counterparts?”

Cedric laughed once more, and slapped a hand, or rather a metal gauntlet against Hyde’s back. Somehow the sound of the soldier was more genuine to Hyde than any previous good-natured laughs he’d been giving when they all gathered together as a group. Perhaps it has been because Cedric got some things out of his chest. Hmm, maybe Hyde was actually a good confidante?

Also he needed a good ice pack now.

0