Chapter 12: Into The Woods
22 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A young man ventured into the dark woods, treading slowly into its depths and leaving the bright road behind him. It was his only choice after all; it was the only place he could go. He left behind everything. The familiar hubbub of the soldiers, the comforting attitude of his sister and the presence of his companions—he deserted them all. They wouldn't understand it. They would laugh at him and mock him, he could trust no one but himself to bear the burden.

A figure darted to his right—a flurry of movement that soon revealed a familiar soldier.

"Hey, where are you going Hyde?"

The young man cursed his luck.

"It's nothing Tom, I'm just... exploring a bit. I need to take a small jaunt. Sitting down to eat and being stuck several hours in the carriage doesn't do anything good for anyone you know?"

The young noble waved a hand dismissively at his companion. He needed to do this alone or else everything would be for naught, he hoped his friend would understand it and leave him be. But even he doubted that Tom would actually accept things wholeheartedly and without prejudice.

"Geez, you're yapping now. Where are you really going?"

"Does it matter to you? I'm fully capable on my own."

Hyde frowned, he didn't really like people trying to stop him. Maybe it was a bad thing…was he spoiled? He knew what he was doing though. If he prolonged it, the inevitable would occur. To his vehement annoyance, Tom merely shrugged…not even batting an eye at his unnerved tone. Even his sister would think twice when he was upset—is this what friendship offered?

"Your sister and butler would like to beg to differ. Honestly, I was just forced by the captain to check on you... since I did lose the stallion in the woods."

Guilt trickled into Hyde's chest.

"Hey, don't worry too much about it Tom. I'm glad nobody got hurt. Plus, you're more valuable than a horse."

Yes, his friend had been feeling downright blue when he returned with the other soldiers. He should have comforted him after their meals, but the situation brought itself out and it was something he needed to do alone. The soldier merely crossed his arms in return, a quirk on their lips. Did he choose the right words? It felt like he made a wrong move there.

"Heh, thanks for letting me know that. But seriously don't go wandering off suddenly on your own. People get worried."

He wasn't really allowed to go anywhere without someone to keep an eye on him, and it was rather insufferable. It didn't matter that the soldier tasked to follow him was his closest friend. Perhaps Cedric or Frank would have given him some reprieve. And Jamie? Well James would have clung to his back and never let go.

"There's nothing to be worried about. I have weapons."

Hyde motioned to the pommel of a rapier at his side. Tom merely raised his brow in response, and the young noble begrudgingly pulled out a dagger underneath his left sleeve. It was uncomfortable having one tucked inside their clothes, but if there was one thing he admired from his father… it was their preparedness. Nothing ever escaped the sight of a Falcon, and their talons were always sharp. Or at least that was what their tutor had droned about years ago while he was being instructed to master both close range and far ranged weapons.

"So where exactly are you going Hyde? Don't hide it now."

His friend wasn't at all impressed, and his shoulders slumped in response. He took the dagger back into the hidden compartment in his sleeves and looked at his friend. Hyde assumed that showing off his weapons would ease his friend, nobody really knew much that he was prepared for things like this. He sighed a bit, perhaps he should finally be honest with his friend now if he wanted to go somewhere...

"I'm just going to the loo, Tom."

The loo was a tree in the forest in this case, but that didn't change things, right? It was his only option, as the next village was still a carriage ride away and he couldn't hold it in that long. He blamed the butler. It was the entire butler's fault. Evidently this was the man's chance to get close to his sister while he struggled to find the perfect spot. The lemonade was a trap. Why didn't he see it any sooner? His friend blinked for a moment, perhaps not expecting this answer. Tom's lips cracked into a huge grin.

"Well, the leaves are prickly!"

The young soldier laughed and wiped 'tears' from his eyes.

"All this fuss and you were only here to do your business! You could have told me, getting everybody worried for this. It's hilarious, wait till—"

Hyde decided to ignore the comment and laughter from the soldier as he continued to walk further into the forest. At least this information seemed to cheer up his friend. He shook his head. The journey to Zourian Kingdom was just beginning, but that was completely fine with him. They should take as long as they should. He didn't want to go there in the first place, at least let them enjoy the scenery as they travelled. He and Rhine hadn't ever been able to go out at all, excluding the balls and the parties.

Hyde sighed softly and looked around. The forest was dark, the trees reaching heights that obscured the sun's light. It sent shivers down his spine, but he trudged forward. The young man continued to travel deeper. He wanted to ensure that he could do his business without anybody that could chance upon that moment. He hoped that his answer would make sure that Tom would leave him alone. The man certainly wouldn't try to peek on him or something right?

"Ugh, I'm sure Jamie's going to be laughing when I get back, everybody's going to hear about it."

Only silence answered him. An eerie silence to be exact, so he frowned and listened for something. There would usually be the sound of critters… any hunter would be able to pick on that. Or in his case, someone who wanted to be an archer would be able to hear that. Even in the wake of the night, he'd hear owl hoots and the flapping of wings. But there was nothing he could hear right now. The silence was deafening.

Hyde glanced around; he might as well do his business right now and head back immediately. What did his sister say about robbers and thieves hiding in the forests? Did they live in the trees then?

The young noble shook his head and turned to the tree, and there he started to pour out his behest. He hummed a soft tune, trying to distract himself from the fine tinkling noise that was being produced. It really wasn't working.

A rustling in the trees and a gust of wind caused him to hastily turn around and check around his surroundings, barely able to make himself look decent. There was no one in sight.

"Don't try messing with me, To-"

I need that author role on discord now lol xD And yeah, I'm online most of the time there. See you guys there? I'm a lonely root lol.

0