Ch 1: A bit of luck is not bad
16.6k 17 209
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Warning: This novel started being written in a non-traditional code/format. After many requests from my readers, I decided to change the code/format to a more traditional one, but it will take me some time to edit all the chapters already published. I am slowly editing the chapters and checking for any grammatical problems they might have. I will be updating the chapters ten by ten every so often.

*****************************************

My name is Emir, and I have black eyes and hair. In terms of my appearance, I am slim, 1.8 meters tall. Ever since I was born, I have seen strange images and symbols before my eyes. I remember that when I talked to my parents about them...

"Daddy, I see things"

Dad: "…"

That same day, my father spanked me until my butt was red, and from then on I never brought it up again.

At the time I was 4 years old, I didn't know how to read, so I didn't understand what those words meant before my eyes, nor did I understand that circular image that constantly moved.

Only at 6 years old did I understand that this was a moving map. All the places I've visited are recorded on that map; those I don't know about are simply transparent.

"Let’s play hide and seek!"

With the map, I never lost in that game.  After all, the map also records people's movements.

When I was 8 years old, my parents taught me to read and write. It was a very strange process since they said some complicated things and I miraculously understood them. 

I know that they are not good teachers, and I, a less-than-genius, later understood the reason for this strange situation.

Well, when I learned to read, I was able to understand the words before my eyes.

[Emir Lvl 8] [Human] [Class: None]

HP=10 || MP=10

Agility=10 || Strength=10

Intelligence=10 || Luck=1

[Resistances]

Physical=1 || Magic=1

Poison=1 || Curse=1

[Click here to hide the status window]

I mentally pressed there, and then those words disappeared.

Emir: "…"

'For 8 years, the window was open! I finally closed it! I want to cry; those words have always blocked my view. Who opened that window? Tell me!'

[Status] [Skills] [Magic] [Inventory] [Settings]

Calmer, I began to learn how to use this skill.

I noticed that its name is [User Interface] since there is an option called [Customize User Interface], hence its name.

There are numerous options in the menu to manipulate the status. Some are locked, like [Skills], [Magic], and [Inventory], while others are enabled. The most notorious are [Reset Status Points] and [Experience], located in [Settings].

But since I am a healthy child, I never used them… At least I didn't until I was 15 years old.

********

"I enrolled you in the knight's test; if you can pass, you will get the [Warrior] class, and with it, you can live on your own. With enough strength to protect you, and with the honor of a knight!"

"You are already 15 years old, you are an adult. With our family luck, you will surely get the class in a blink!"

Emir: "…"

'In a blink? Your grandmother!'

My luck attribute only has 1 point. It's as standard as it gets!

My father and mother are both former adventurers. The stories they tell me about their past can be hard for anyone to believe, but…

[Emilia Lvl 45] [Class: None]

[Luck: 57]

[Joel Lvl 51] [Class: None]

[Luck: 54]

My parents' luck is beyond normal! No wonder I was born with this user interface! Thank you, parents!

"Can't I just live here in this peaceful town? If you want me to work, I can be a farmer"

The farmer class can be obtained after a few years of doing specific farmer actions. I don't know what actions are, but everyone who tills the land for a while will naturally get that class.

"You need to have more faith in yourself. We have no way of proving it to you, but our luck is unbelievably high. You almost certainly inherited some luck from us."

"Identification magic only shows our level and class; otherwise, you could see how high our luck is." Father sighed.

'Yup, I know.'

But your child only has one point in luck. All the family luck was deposited into this user interface! Even the girl next door is luckier than me!

I'm afraid that because that status window was open for 8 years, my luck didn't increase at all. If negative numbers existed, my luck would surely be in the red!

By the way, it is normal to have 2 or 3 points in luck.

"Haa, alright. I'll go."

"Well said! Then prepare your things, tomorrow the carriage will come to pick you up"

'Tomorrow?! They don't even give me time to mentally prepare? Haa, my parents must be so reckless because of those 50 points in Luck...'

***

The next day.

"Here is our parting gift"

My mother gave me a bronze sword and chain mail. A window appeared on them simply by looking at them closely.

[Bronze Sword] [Slot: (Empty)]

[Chain Coat] [Slot: (Empty)]

'Empty slot? What will it be?'

It's the first time I've seen such a description.

"Although the knights will grant you weapons and armor, I hope that these will serve you on your long journey as a knight"

"Goodbye, I will send you a carrier pigeon when I arrive"

""Goodbye"" My parents waved their arms goodbye.

You don't know how much I wanted to retract and go back to my quiet days as someone with [none] class in his status. But, in this world, everyone is ranked by their level and class. You can marry or remain single for the rest of your life, depending on them.

I'm not lying when I say that a person from this town never acquired a class, and, because of that, no woman approached him…

So, even when I want to go back, I don't want to be a virgin for life, so I'm going to take that knight’s test.

'I have to take it, right? Hmm, anyway, I'm going there!'

With that resolution, I put on the mail shirt under my clothes and hung the sword on my waist. With my suitcase in hand, I got into the horse-drawn carriage.

***

The name of the town is Dominir, and since my birth, I have always remembered living there. It is a quiet town with farmers and ex-adventurers like my parents that is located in the Castemira kingdom, whose capital is Altamira.

The city of Altamira is located four days away from the town of Dominir, and that is where the greatest order of knights is found. So, that is where I must take the test to become a knight.

'I don't know what the conditions will be for the warrior class to evolve into a knight, but I hope my luck with 1 point will do something…'

[Reset Status Points]

'What if I change it? Hmm, I wonder if this "reset status points" feature lives up to its name and allows me to freely change my status. Then, adding some points to luck wouldn't hurt, right? But what if it's 'reset' of type back to zero? Would I go back to level 1 with only 1 point in each attribute?'

[Reset Status Points]

[Except for the most important ones, all status points will be freed, giving the user the freedom to set them to any attribute they want.]

'Mm? Did I think about the button so much that a description window actually popped up? So helpful!'

Without hesitation, I mentally pressed the button, then… Nothing happened!

No, wait. A button appeared that says 'Release All'. Pressing it, all my status points disappeared, leaving only 1 point in each essential attribute.

[Emir Lvl 15] [Class: None]

HP=1 || PM=1

Agility=1 || Strength=1

Intelligence=1 || Luck=1

[Resistances]

Physical=1 || Magic=0

Poison=0 || Curse=0

[You have 48 free points]

I feel clumsy and slow. I have a hard time remembering why I have the status window open and why I'm sitting in this carriage. After several seconds of going around in circles, I remembered everything.

Looking at my status window, I feel like I can draw a lot of conclusions, but nothing comes to mind. It's as if I can't hold on to any thought for more than a few fractions of a second.

'These are…. the consequences of having one point in intelligence?'

[Intelligence=10]

'Yes, now I feel better.'

Then all the points marked for MP, Magic, Poison, and Curse will be put into Luck. I will leave all the others the same, as I am afraid that this lack of habit will lead me to make mistakes in my daily life.

HP=10 || PM=1

Agility=10 || Strength=10

Intelligence=10 || Luck=13

[Resistances]

Physical=1 || Magic=0

Poison=0 || Curse=0

[Do you want to save the profile of this status?]

'Ohh. Can I save it?'

I quickly agreed and named it [First Trip]. That way, I'll immediately remember what changes I made to it.

Having a single point in [MP] has not produced any change in my body or mind. Apparently, it's like the rumors say, MP is only needed by mages, and ordinary people won't be affected in any way.

"Are you okay? You were pale a few seconds ago"

A dark-skinned man, who appeared to be 38 years old, spoke to me.

'Does my status make me pale from low HP?'

"Yes, do not worry"

My HP is now 10 points. My complexion is back to normal.

"If you say so... are you going to take the knight’s test? These days, I have seen many young people heading to the capital"

"After all, I'm 15 years old."

The age at which people become adults is 15 years old. In other words, I am currently an adult according to the laws of the Castemira kingdom.

Since the carriage ride will take 4 days to reach its destination, I decided to talk to pass the time. And, so quickly, 8 hours of travel passed, and we decided to camp for the night.

In total, we are seven people, counting the driver. We are all men. So, a romantic situation with a beautiful woman in danger can’t happen. 

'What a pity.'

"Emir, you're already an adult, right? Come! Come with us to drink!"

"Huh? Um…ok?"

"That's the way to talk. Drink, drink!"

One of the passengers I spoke with earlier in the day got drunk and wanted to lead me astray… Since everyone was staring at me, I had to agree.

After having a cup of beer, my status changed…

[Emir Lvl 15] [Class: None]

[(Drunk Lvl 1)]

'I still feel normal, so that level 1 has a good chance of increasing if I keep drinking.'

When they gave me the next cup, I checked the status again…

[(Drunk Lvl 2)]

I was right; if I keep drinking, my level of intoxication will increase and, with it, the effects will become noticeable. I'm actually feeling a bit drunk right now, so the best decision I can make at the moment is… Not to raise it to level 3.

"Here, here, drink, drink!"

Emir: "…"

'Damn! When everyone looks at me with those eyes, it's practically written on their faces that they want to get the rookie drunk!'

I gritted my teeth and drank again.

[(Drunk Lvl 3)]

"That’s it! Have another one-…! AHHHH!"

The man tried to give me another cup of beer. Then I felt a deep pain in my ear, and, at the same time, an arrow passed by my side, piercing the man's arm. The cup fell to the floor, breaking into pieces.

"The thieves are attacking us!"

'That arrow just missed my ear. If it wasn't for my luck attribute, would that arrow have hit me in the head?'

 

209