Ch 106: Is it too late to ask for a transfer?
1.9k 8 65
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The two groups following me stopped when they realized that there was no fighting around, which probably made them think it was a trap and they stopped right away.

Thanks to it, ‌I can cross the river without anyone noticing me.

"Fuuh..."

That was very reckless of me, but something that was completely necessary since I now know how the procedure for calling in reinforcements works.

'Well, it's time to make my contributions known.'

I entered the forest and advanced, avoiding all the groups with blue dots, which must be the Castemira kingdom patrols. Then, I stopped at a place where there was no one around.

"... Space Travel"

I teleported directly to the forest near the rear army, which is much faster than having leased a horse. On leaving, I headed for Commander Cael's tent.

When he saw me, he made an expression of disgust.

"Wait, Wait!... I thought I made myself clear enough yesterday. Well, let me put it in words you understand... Why the fuck did you come back? Didn't I ask you to die?"

'Hey! I thought you were giving me leeway, not that you were kicking me out!'

"I brought the 10 remnants, Commander!" I saluted militarily with my hand on my forehead.

Cael: "..."

'- Did this guy seriously carry out an impossible mission?'

Since he kept silent, I left the remnants on his desk.

Cael: "!!!!"

'- Bullshit, it’s true! Are my eyes seeing things right? A rookie performing a mission destined for an elite team?...'

Out of nowhere, the commander pulled out a magnifying glass and carefully analyzed each remnant.

'Hey, aren't you getting too suspicious? Could you do it when I'm not around?'

With a serious look, he said, "Who did you buy this contraband from?"

"It's not contraband."

"You are risking jail, you know?"

"It's not contraband!"

'Is it too late to ask for a transfer? I can't stand my boss!' 

"Well, let's say it's not contraband..."

"It's not contraband!" 

"Then, tell me... Why do they look so shiny?"

"They're always like this!" 

'Haa... Haa... Calm down, calm down. This guy is just doing it to annoy me...'

"Well, despite everything, you passed my mission, and with that, you are accepted into the recognition group. Do you want me to put you back on the list?"

"No, thanks... commander!"

'I hate stupid military formalities!'

"I see. Yesterday, I didn't explain to you what the recognition group is all about since I thought you would get the message... But, well, I will now."

"Your job is simple. You must create a map with the locations of all enemy soldiers near the Drial Cenit Kingdom army. If you get the chance, assassinate. Kill as many as you can."

"Periodically, you must give me the results of your investigations and, of course, also the remnants. Besides that, you are free to do what you want. I hardly ever give a mission, so that's it." Cael finished with those words.

'This job came my way. Who would have thought Dorian was such a good person? He only saw me once, but he immediately discovered the job that suited me best. When I see him, I must thank him.'

"See that box over there? Those are the maps you can use. Take some with you. I don't care what signs you draw; I just want to know where the enemy groups frequent."

"Yes, commander."

When I opened the box, I saw over 50 scrolls. I kept seven of them in my inventory and only opened one to see its contents.

[Updated Map]

'Well. With this, the entire battlefield has been 100% filled in on my map.'

"The men under my command are special. If you meet one of them, it's best not to greet them." He shook his head and said, "Also... Take." He threw something at me.

When I caught it, I understood his intention.

"Put the badge on your shoulder. You'll avoid having the patrolling soldiers ask you questions. You’re very skilled at evading the soldiers, with none of them discovering you, huh?"

'Ah, so that's why he doubted so much that those remnants were in my hand. After all, anyone else would have been caught the moment they made their way across the river.'

The insignia shows ‌I belong to the reconnaissance group.

"And finally, don't call me 'commander' here and 'commander' there, you disgust me! Do it only when it's necessary, damn it... Haa! I'm thirsty. That's why I don't like rookies. I have to explain so many things to them. You know what? You'll be doing me a big favor the day you die. Now beat it! Unlike you, I'm busy."

'$%%$%$&%$&$%! Calm down, calm down.'

***

Although Emir's mind was all in an uproar, he showed petty emotion on his face. He merely nodded as a farewell and then exited the tent.

Cael again raised the magnifying glass in his hand and examined a remnant.

[Demir] [Warrior Lvl 19]

"I love the creator of this magnifying glass. To see the faces people make when I inspect the objects... It gives me great pleasure!"

Actually, the magnifying glass can't identify objects!

Cael just uses it to annoy people so he can release some stress. After all, being a commander isn't easy. If you don't ease the pressure, then you'll have to hire a psychologist, and lately, they don't come cheap at all.

Psychologists are becoming millionaires from the war.

"At least, it is much better than being an alcoholic!"

Of course, Dorian Aranis releases stress with alcohol.

And sometimes with Yair.

***

"Delia, please, love me!" 

"Mm? Emir? Huh...? Mnnn Amnnn Mnnha Nmnna."

'- Did something bad happen to him?'

At first, she was surprised by the sudden kiss, but then she kissed me back.

'- Mm... Should I let him pet my tails? He always seems so relaxed when he does it.'

Once we parted, Delia casually sat down on the wooden floor and then lightly patted her thighs.

I quickly understood her intention and lay down, putting my head on them.

Then, three tails appeared very close to my face.

'Just this once, we'll let you caress us. Hmph!' At least that's what they said in my mind.

"Do you want to tell me what happened to you? I'm a good listener."

Delia seems more angelic than usual. I'm afraid if I talk, I'll confess all my crimes to her. But many of them have to do with her! So, I'll say what's fair and necessary.

"Nothing special. I just want to beat the crap out of my boss."

"Hehehe. That's all?"

"Yeah, leaving aside his attitude, he doesn't seem like a bad person. He just has a knack for getting on people's nerves."

As we talk, I stroke their tails. 

For a few seconds, they let themselves be touched. But, after a while, they completely forget their previous words and hit me in the face to get me to release them.

When this happens, I switch tails and stroke the next one following this cycle. I can stroke them endlessly without completely angering them.

"You scared me! Initially, I thought something bad had happened to you in the war."

"Nothing at all. I'm alive and kicking."

"Hehehe. When you stroke my tails, you look like a 15-year-old"

Emir: "..."

'Hm, I think it's about time to say it.'

"Delia... Just out of curiosity, how old do you think I am?"

"Mm... 21 years old?"

Emir: "..."

'Am I that bad? Doesn't my badness fit in the body of a 15-year-old? Because I'm 15!'

"Delia..."

"Mm?"

"I'm 15 years old"

Delia: "!!!!"

'- So... Our age difference is 17 years old!'

At that very moment, her tails fiercely smacked me in the face.

I tried everything to calm them down, but they seemed untamable. They seemed to remember their wild instincts when they were free in the wild. I don't specialize in taming wild animals, let alone three twin sisters, so I let them attack me without defending myself.

After all, they are so soft and fluffy that, at each one of their attacks, I release stress.

'It's a win-win situation, I would say.'

Patiently, I waited for Delia to calm down. If I say anything, I will most likely only confuse her more. So, while their tails keep hitting me hard enough to wrinkle my clothes, I zoomed in on the map on full screen and looked at the capital, Altamira.

I focused only on the red dots and the enormous walls surrounding them.

Minutes later, I found what I was looking for... 

'A hidden entrance.' 

How do criminals get into the city without their kind being identified? When I started exterminating thieves, I asked myself that question so many times. The conclusion I came to was that they had a hidden passageway to elude the authorities.

'Who would have thought that hidden entrance would now be beneficial to me?'

When their tails went back to being as peaceful as before, I took it for granted that Delia had already accepted our relationship regardless of our age.

So, to change the subject, I said...

"Do you know how to make a necklace out of a rabbit's paw?"

As a response, Delia rolled up her sleeves to show professionalism.


65