Chapter 9: I Should go Study
183 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After that awkward walk home with Juria today. All I want to do is just lay in bed and get my mind off of things. Even if Hinae is just trying to be realistic, or maybe just trying to protect her friend. Those words really bring me down. I hate to think that I could ever hurt Juria.

“What does she know anyway?” I toss my pillow to the wall in frustration. It makes a light thud as it drops to the floor gently. She’s only upset because of what happened to her last year. But as much as I want to blame it on her for feeling that way, I can’t…

She’s not wrong. High school is going to be my life for the next three years. That’s a long time. A lot can happen in three years, some good, some bad. Most importantly, it’ll likely be inevitable as well. There’s not much I can do to change fate. The only difference I can make is on my reaction to it.

All this makes me pretty down, but there are more important matters at hand right now. The first would be all this homework my teachers piled on me. What the heck? I’ve been in school for two days and there’s all this work to do already? How am I supposed to get all this done in time?

Wait, what am I talking about? Of course I know what to do in a situation like this. Go over to Taisei’s and Juria’s house. We did homework together all the time even when she was the only member in high school. Though when I put it like that, one has to wonder how I missed her so much after she graduated junior high.

Anyway… I had nearly forgotten that as an option because of Hinae’s words. So now I’m going to head over and surprise the two there. Hopefully they don’t mind me needing a bit of help with homework. I mean come on, Taisei’s in the same class as me. We might as well do it together.

With bag in hand, I make a beeline towards their front door. A quick knock reveals it’s Juria who’s answering the door.

“Hideumi?” Unsurprisingly, she’s surprised to see me so soon after we just saw each other. “Did we forget something?”

“I was hoping that maybe we could do homework together?” I show her my bag filled with numerous pages of things that need to be solved. “It’ll be easy since me and Taisei are in the same class anyway.”

“But Taisei’s not here right now.” She answers.

“Huh?” Why wouldn’t he be? That boy left the school before I did, right?

“He had some things to do with the baseball club after the game. That’s what he told me right before leaving the house about a few minutes ago.” Wow, I really just missed him then. Well, I suppose it wouldn’t have matter if I caught him before leaving. “He probably won’t be home until a little late.”

“But he has so much work to do.” I know how much homework I’ve been assigned and we both got the same amount. “Ah… I guess he’ll just stay up late to do all of it.” Hanging my head down, I’m about to head back home when Juria stops me.

“There’s nothing wrong with just us studying together, is there?” She asks. “I know I’m a grade above you, but I’m quite familiar with the material.” I freeze up at her offer. This would be the first time it was just the two of us studying at either of our homes together. That was why I assumed I’d just be leaving right now.

Yet now that she’s asking, I don’t know what to say. What am I doing? I should be accepting without hesitation. This feeling in my heart… It’s heavy.

“If you don’t want to…” She speaks quietly, looking down towards my feet. “It’s fine. You don’t have to.”

“I do.” Finally, I’m able to speak up again.

“Are you sure?” Why is she asking me that? Wasn’t she sad just a moment ago on the thought of me rejecting her. “You don’t need to feel pressured because of what Hinae said.”

“No, I do want to stay.” Was that conversation with her friend already enough to cause a rift between us? No, it can’t be true. “It’s just that it’s always been the three of us studying together. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but I’m just being silly. Of course it’s not any different if it’s just you.”

I enter their home and head to her room. Maybe what Hinae said about me changing in high school was right all along. I’ve know that being alone with a girl in her room is a big deal, even back during junior high. There were plenty of students making small talk during break referring that they had the opportunity to hang out with a cute girl. I shouldn’t feel this way because it’s Juria, but this would be the first time we’re alone in her room.

I’ve been in her room countless times before. The light scent of flowers tickle my nose as I enter inside. Everything is neatly packed or placed in meticulous manner. Certainly the reason we’re always in this room to study is because Taisei’s room is a mess. There would be no easy way for three people to sit around and do homework comfortably.

“I wasn’t planning on doing homework so early, but I don’t mind it either.” She comments as Juria pulls out some paperwork. I know her main hobby consists of reading some manga to pass the time. At least if she’s going to be home all alone like today. Her parents are out either at work or taking care of some errands. Meanwhile, Taisei’s quickly making friends with the baseball club.

“Sorry if it’s a bother though.” I say as I place my work on the table with her. Since we used this room so often for studying. Their parents set up a nice kotatsu in the middle of the room so we’d be able to work and keep warm during the winter months. Being springtime, that’s not necessary right now. But I did enjoy my time lazing in her room with Taisei under this thing.

“Like I said, I don’t mind it at all.” She brushes me off and leans over to peer the work I need to do. “How about we start with your homework first?”

10