Chapter 1
34 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dungeon,

A blessing or a curse?

That was the report of one of the papers from my national newspaper. I yawn after reading one of a column.

The emergence of Dungeon and the rise of Hunter.

The Dungeon spawn monster and if not taken care of, it will cause overflow, and as a result, a breakthrough happened.

Many people died as a result of that but from that event rise the term, Hunter.

A superhuman that is capable of killing monsters with their bare hand.

The military of the world becomes dysfunctional when they know that the very powerful weapon, they created is unable to break through even the slightest flesh of this monster.

Scientists all over the world screamed that the very event was not scientifically possible. But as such, do we actually know the exact phenomenon of this world. We are so indulging in the concept of law that didn’t change... but is it never ever-changing? Or is it is constantly changing but the fundamental was still the same due to basic of those laws.

Till now we are still searching for the nomenclature of the creation of this world.

Enough with the rambling, I was one of the scientists investigating this new phenomenon. People from all fieldwork on their own hypothesis trying to utilize the new resource to good news.

Not long before that, numerous breakthroughs have been made such as the utility of crystals in the field of energy that produces electricity with the use of Monster parts.

From this point onwards, the Dungeon-related business boom and a lot of conglomerates take their chance on establishing a new hierarchy in this new era of politics.

Hunter's awakening is not by choice but only by chance and to the fact that this persona is the only one that can enter the dungeon. The conglomerates take what it takes to hire them left and right hence the rise of what is so-called the Guild.

Laws had been made with similarity of some plots in the novel. Surprisingly they adopt those laws in the real world. And with this certain authors become famous and some call him a prophet for no reason.

Not sure if it is a coincidence or not. That author becomes a hunter.

Soon after that, they found another new resource, which is a blank crystal. From here technology based on magic is accelerating such as the new energy weapon, the monster part related projectile gun and tank, and airplane based on the monster parts. But for now, the combustion parts, Scientists are unable to make an engine that had the same capability as the latest combustion engine.

There is some prototype had been made but it is inadequate. From this, humanity is also able to create a device that can measure the degree of power of Hunter. They utilize the same degree of grading based on the reading of their magic. It starts with J and ends with A. For now, there are only 30 people in the world that exceed category A, The S category. This S category is known as legends and nations protect them as a secret weapon and the determination of wealth and prosperity.

Hunter is limited and died more often during their dungeon dives.  Thus, nations are always doing their best to attract more hunters to their countries. For small countries as mine, we are down to 100 Hunter nationwide. Most of them are still juvenile and few that are already old. Even so, occasionally we can hear from the news that these people were coaxed by the powerful nations to migrate to their countries.

Occasionally we also can hear from the news that, some hunters are threatened by politicians by taking their families hostages. But this is easily sniffed out of by those big countries and used as casus belli to declare war against them… Countries had been invaded such as African Countries and middle eastern countries.

And once the war is over, the hunter is then reallocated to winning countries. Thus now, politicians didn’t dare to harm any of the Hunters and sometimes turn their blindside to some atrocity the hunter had done.

With the increase of abuse of Hunter title, the UN declare a new proposed Guidelines with the backup of CCP, UN, Russia that ensured the right of Hunter, Hunter Law and the Hunter accord that encompasses from Law that the hunter must abide, Accord for which how a hunter can be recruited and the establishment of a World Hunter Councils that were led by S-Class Hunter.

For now, the most S-class inhabited nation is the USA with 13 of them establishing a guild there, with EU running second with 7 and then CCP 6 while Russia coming in last with 4. With the current composition, the USA had authority in deciding the law for the Hunter.

There are a few occasions of a new law had been opposed by Russia and CCP and almost turn into an all-out war and had destroyed the UN Hunter Building with that clash. But with the help of an expert ambassador and politician, the worst-case scenario had been averted.

Till now the relation between this Titan is cracked and news of skirmish and scheming can be heard now and then.

That is how humanity is, thrives in war and death.

Soon afterward, news on the discovery of items that can be found in the dungeon. This item possesses weird abilities and for some increases some of the attributes such as healing. They were called the “Artifact”. The world turns into an uproar by the first discovery and S-Classes Scramble to get a hold of these called artifacts.

Then the worst skirmish ever recorded happened. It happened in Metropolitan Japan where the Auction site have been assaulted by unknown assailants. Due to Japan being a strong ally of the USA,  it is known that those assailants were either from CCP or Russia. But media blackout has surrounded these events and only minor details were deliberately disclosed to the public.

From this event, tons of conspiracy theories pop up from the Internet world but with no proof to back, it is just a theory.

The heat was escalating and a proxy war happened in Kazakhstan, deep down inside all people know what had happened but lives go on and the world keeps on spinning.

Till today the proxy war continued.

Enough with History,

Due to our limited resources, our countries had been focussing on researching new applications on monster parts.

But for myself, I hypothesize that the Dark Matter is the key to finding the truth about the Mana, Magic, and the incidence of the dungeon.

But my Superior said … “Are you an idiot? Why is Dark Matter is responsible for this? We don’t even know that Dark Matter exists”

“Don’t waste any resource on those wild goose chases and go change your research to monster part application !!!”

My heartache by the scolding of my superior, my motivation and self-esteem shattered. Deep down inside, my mind knew that these research fields are almost with no return and the consumption rate on resources is astronomical.

I’m here is also as a gesture of kindness to the government that had to create a scheme in order to allow student researchers to do research of their own regardless of cost. This Scheme's purpose is to cover all aspects of the field that may be missed by Titan Countries and instead of focussing on one field better to cover all range of field even, it is thought to be meaningless.

Trying to compete with other nations with specialties is crazy but what the nation thinks is we can make a new minor application and sell these application tools to the 1st world countries at a price that excels in improving lifestyle. In a nutshell, we are trying to become the CCP before the discovery of Dungeon.

Jack of trade countries that sell anything.

I went back to my home and underground basement and look at the gatelike structure.

This gate was constructed with my own money. With makeshift tools that I dictate sufficient but it turns out hideous. This is naturally what happened when you have been denied the funds to create a proper one.

As always, I turn on the device with hopes that to able detect Dark matters but looking at the desktop screen, no indicator of finding one. As a normal niche, I brew a coffee sit down on one of the chairs, and let out a sigh while looking at the ceilings… recalling my hardship and my luck.

Like always, I look at all the research journals regarding dark matter and carefully read those journals. But most of the journals indicate no Dark Matter has yet to be found and conclude that it is hard to investigate that dark matter in gravitational settings. Hence, they conclude that it is best to abandon the research and reserve it when civilizations have reached stage 1 civilization

Hours have passed and I’m still reading journal while sitting on the chair when suddenly a beeping sound can be heard from the desktop but just before I’ve reached to the desktop to find out what is happening. The Beeping become intense and then a sudden brilliant of light surrounded my vision and then that was the last thing I see.

911 what is the emergency…

“Hello …. Please come quickly here!!.... there is an explosion happening near my house… a lot of houses is burning”

“Sir, please calm down… and let me know where are you right now and how many houses are burning and what is the current situation there”

“I don’t know how many houses burning… but it is bad… really bad… please come here quickly!!”

“I’m at XXXX St …”

“Thank you for your quick respond, sir, we have already dispatched a response team to the XXXX ST… stay clear from the fire and goes to safety Sir”

“Haaa... Ok Thanks a lot, Miss”

“No problem, Sir… “

That day the neighborhood was brought down by the fire despite the good effort from the response team.

Miraculously no one was hurt… with one was found burnt on his whole body but yet didn’t die.

“Where am I?”

I look around and found myself in the dark. From afar I saw some distortion but was unable to ascertain what it is…

Then distortion explode and a blinding light surround my vision and I woke up from my sleep abruptly with a cold sweat…

“What was that?” I calm my breath and look around…

“Why am I in the hospital? What had happened”

Then I remember the last thing I can remember. My machine was beeping furiously that time and just before I was able to see what is happening…. An explosion happened… then my consciousness faded into darkness.

I look all over my body and felt the usual sensation from my body… all look fine…without any lost limbs or paralyzation.

Then I was interrupted by the opening of the door.

A man with a black suit with black glass come in and look at my confused face and smile and then take a sit on the chair beside my bed.

“Good morning, Mr. Sol, how do you do?”

I look at the black suit man and said ….

“May I know whom I speaking to?”

Realizing being rude of not introducing himself, the suited man gets up and bow a little bit

“Sorry for the late introduction, my name is Hiro, I’m from the National Hunter Biro… Please to meet you”

Surprise with the involvement of National Hunter Biro, Sol turns speechless. He ponders on the possibility of why National Hunter Biro involvement.

Seeing Sol got his tongue glued… the man sits down and begins explaining the chronology.

“Mr. Sol I have bad news and good news… which one do you which to hear first?”

“Please… the good news”

The black suit man nodded and spoke

“The good news is that you are alive even though you suffer 3rd degree of burn… in which was an impossible feat for you to be alive”

“Even more surprising you able to recover and heal within a month of hospitalization”

I gawked when hearing that… but continue to listen.

“We check all your vitals and internal organs; all seems intact with no sign of damage of shrapnel or shockwave from the explosion”

“All in all, what we can say… you survived an impossible ordeal…”

“My hands trembled and asked…. And the bad news is?”

“I’m sorry I didn’t finish with the good news yet”

“Huh, there is more?”

The man smiles and took off his spectacle and looks with his seemingly glowing black eyes…

“I would like to congratulate you on becoming a hunter”

I gawked and almost shout

“Huuuuuh!!!?”

“We take the liberty of measuring of your magic power… and found out the trace of it inside your body”

“Hope you don’t mind...”

The man then put his hand inside his suit and take out a card… and proceed to give it to me…

“Here is your Hunter license…”

I take the card and look carefully at the fine print…”
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Sol Nova

Rank J

Associate Dungeon: None
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

I blink numerous times not believing what is happening… but in my mind, a lot of questions coming into my mind… is the explosion linked to my awakening? Is one of many questions that lingered in my mind…

Having experience of dealing with this type of situation, the suited man interrupts my train of thought…

“Even so Mr. Sol… it is necessary if you are not to disclose your situation to the public… this is related to the matter of national security”

I look again with surprised faces…

“National Security? Why is that?”

“We are unable to disclose the reason as it is classified information… in which was related to the bad news, I’m going to tell you next”

“The bad news is that your house is destroyed and a dungeon spawn through the underground portion of your houses… as such you need to forfeit your ownership to the land from here on onwards… and later we will need to take you to testify on what is happening down”

I gawked once more… and it make my jaw goes hurt…

“Sir please don’t surprise me more… I’m afraid, I might suffer jaw dislocation if this conversation were allowed to continue”

 The man laughs…

“Haha… indeed it is quite a lot to take… if that is the case... shall we continue this tomorrow…?”

I nod and smile at him

“Thank you, Sir,”

The man woke up from his seat and goes to the door, just before he opens the door, he took a glance at me and spoke

“Your family is already waiting for you… and I do hope we can finish tomorrow of all necessary things”

I look at him warmly and nod again

“Thank you very much for telling me, Sir”

“Well then, have a nice rest, Mr. Sol”

The man went out and closed the door leaving me alone on the bed watching the scenery through the windows…

I let out a deep sigh.

I who was supposed to have died, had awakened as a hunter but lost everything… how was my job I figure, am I allowed to work again at that place? Or they have already replaced me?

Well, I figure it is not used to think a lot for now and have a nice sleep again, just in case this was a dream.

That night went without a hitch…

 

 

1