Chapter 10. A Long Time Ago in a Galaxy Far Far Away
6.9k 49 207
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A familiar tail met my sight as I slowly walked toward my quarters. Anaise was fretfully pacing in the inner courtyard while constantly looking at the balcony of my bedroom.

Judging by the light inside and the sound of the guitar, both Irje and Yeva were inside. Yeva had a habit of extinguishing all light when she was alone. Not only she didn’t need it and didn’t want to waste the oil but she didn’t want the risk of open flame around herself for no reason.

The red tail swung back and forth, mesmerizing me with its movements. Begging to be touched.

I couldn’t say no to that.

A few silent steps and I pushed myself against a pillar, carefully watching my prey in action. Memorizing the patrol route of the enemy that kept my prize attached to her shapely behind. Her walking pattern had been sporadic, pensive with a slight curve that forced me to wonder if her Spark senses were guiding her to remain at a certain distance from my bedroom.

Most importantly, it was predictable.

I let her walk past my hiding spot twice, biding my time. Anaise stopped once again and turned around, her tail curving behind in a slow arc, both following the movements of her body and avoiding any disturbances in the air. Like a large fiery fish in the stream. I silently stepped outside making sure to stay outside of her field of vision. An easy task as her eyes were either glued to the balcony or her fidgeting hands.

My palm landed at the root of her tail and slid across its length, gently stroking the luxurious hair.

“A penny for your thoughts?”

Anaise shrieked loudly into my ear and I found myself dodging streams of fire and fingernails clawing at my face. “Erf!” She squealed as I wrapped her in my arms, preventing further acts of revenge and collateral damage to our estate, “Don’t scare me like that!”

“You were rather deep in thought, is something wrong?”

“Look, I…” She mumbled, her ears flat, “I need to talk to you—”

“Teasing your new wife?” Irje’s voice interrupted us from above. “I thought it was my turn today.”

Glancing up I saw the cougar leaning on the railing and watching us with an amused smirk on her face.

I shook my head as the werfox scowled in my arms, “Give us a moment, we are coming over soon.”

Irje chuckled waved me to hurry up and left us alone.

“You wanted to speak with me, alone.” I summarized to my bushy captive.

“I…” She sighed, “Yes, I wanted to speak to you in private about some… sensitive topics.”

“Is it something personal, between us, or a matter of the entire sadaq?”

“The latter.” Anaise confessed, “While I wanted to take time to breach this subject, I am afraid that my mother would raise the question when she will meet with you tomorrow.”

“Then we should discuss it together, all four of us.” I gently interrupted her.

“I am trying to make sure that it won’t cause a rash reaction from anyone. I don’t know them well enough to predict how they will act, but I know you and I know that you will be able to look at it with a sharp mind.”

“Anaise. They will learn about anything eventually, it is not a question of if but when. And I will not put them in a situation where we will inform them about a decision we made together. While I am blessed by my sadaq, I also have a burden to bear, to keep it united and strong. I understand your desire to prevent anything that could be said or done out of spite, but right now what we all need are unity and trust.

“I planned to talk about my abilities and past between us today. I could have argued that it might be safer for some of the knowledge to remain hidden both to avoid uncomfortable questions and possibly keep all of you safe. But I won’t because I want your trust, and I will never have it unless I am willing to trust you first. So, please, trust them.”

She sighed in my arms, “There is a reason why most of sadaq-at are one-way only, and I find myself wishing that yours was as well. It would have been much easier just to worry about our relationship, without constantly making sure that two more would have to agree with my actions.”

I hugged her shoulders and started to lead her upstairs, “I understand that. And yes I know that I am trying to shift the burden of mediation from me to everyone’s shoulders, despite receiving all of your affection in turn. But I am willing to learn if necessary and I want to rely on your help. About the latter part — no, you absolutely don’t have to agree with all of us on everything. Everyone is allowed to have an individual opinion as long as they all are respected and discussed in a peaceful manner.”

“There will be a time when such talks would lead nowhere.” Anaise shook her head.

“If I find it necessary I will intervene myself.” I tried my best to smoothen her puffed-up tail, “But I would prefer to have these who would stand beside me rather than behind. I am already stuck with a bunch of servants and a lamura of all things.”

XXX

We sat on our bed as Anaise paced in front of us and a thought occurred to me to make another room. I had something that resembled an office but it was more designed to meet others rather than have discussions with those I considered close. I needed a room with lounges and sofas but not in the middle of the estate and open to everyone, but private and secluded. Somewhere where we could all sit and talk among ourselves.

And carve the proper runes for security. Anaise already grumbled at the lack of protective measures, both that could prevent her from breaking yet another bed, or other wermage to attack or, more likely, to eavesdrop.

“Let me just say that the final decision will be made by all of us.” Anaise started, “This was not something I was planning to talk about so early in the relationship but if I don’t speak it now my mother would definitely say it tomorrow to Erf.”

Irje glanced at me and I shook my head in response as my hand lay on top of Yeva’s.

“I… agreed to be one of the wives in his sadaq. My mother, despite some early concerns, also accepted that outcome. The issue lies in the Emanai society as a whole.”

“You mean other wermages.” Yeva accused.

Irje hummed in response as well, “So are you implying we need to form the sadaq as yours? It all sounds quite convenient for you. What would be next? “Necessity” to get rid of us to please the public opinion?”

“No.” Her voice was steady despite the jabs, “The sadaq would remain as is. What my mother is going to suggest is to use my Feast to make it look like it is an equal sadaq of my own volition. That way it would be seen as the childish fancy of a young wermage rather than a murk asking above his means.”

“You are trying to shift the burden on yourself, is that what you are saying?” I frowned.

“Not precisely. There will be some that would disapprove and would try to make their voices heard no matter what. Both due to sadaq and my position in society. Some would simply try to use it to undermine the Kiymetl. So we all will be under certain scrutiny no matter what. But by changing the focus we can affect their means of influence. These parties would likely resort to words to change my and my mother’s mind. If they focus on Erf they might take more… active methods.”

“Then why do we have to make it known during your Feast?” Cougar crossed her hands, “Domina alone is enough to establish the sadaq. Have her hear us in private just like she did with us.”

“Why did you make the sadaq in the first place? I know Erf enough to guess he wasn’t the one pushing for it.” Anaise shook her head as Irje tried to speak, “You don’t need to answer. I know you did it as an assurance. To make sure you won’t lose him. I understand and I would have done the same myself if I was in your position. That is exactly why I am making it known during my Entrance Feast.”

“You need assurance that no one would deny your spot?” I asked.

“So I won’t lose you. Aikerim Kiymetl Adal is powerful, but my mother is still just Domina of a branch Manor. Even Kiymetl itself is not the most influential out of all seven Pillar Houses. There are forces out there that are above us. And I am willing to bear with minor annoyances as long as they also ensure our union through publicity.”

She looked pointedly at Irje, “This also makes your position much more secure in this sadaq, as well as Yeva’s.”

“I am not really sure that such drastic measures are warranted…” I started to speak only to be interrupted by the incredulous faces from all three sides, “Right, nevermind.”

Yeva coughed, “We should probably think about this a little bit longer.”

“I think that was the point of this conversation — to inform all of us in advance so we can think it through. Thank you, Anaise.” I scratched my chin but decided not to offer my opinion for now. Her offer was reasonable but there was the issue of her still being rather new to the sadaq and Irje and Yeva still felt threatened by her.

Speaking of threats. My fingers squeezed Yeva’s hand, “How was the lamura? Did she behave?”

“Mostly quiet,” She snuggled closer, scrunching her nose, “She did everything I demanded but mostly kept to herself, apart from occasional comment when one of the workers did something wrong.”

“Are you comfortable with her around? I had a talk with Sulla today where he showed me the body of a slain Forest creature. I fear that all my free time would be occupied with training in the future.”

“I don’t think comfort is a correct word, but I don’t fear her. Not with the shackles on her wrists. For me, she is not a wermage but someone who tried to kill you. She earned her punishment and she will do it, one way or another.”

“Hold on!” Anaise barged in, “What do you mean training?”

“With weapons, I think, so that I could ‘prove my worth’ and ‘change my Purpose’”

“But you don’t need to, now!” She pleaded, “My mother can make you a tributary, and as my husband, she is unlikely to demand anything from you. Why would you want to risk your life!”

“Because the freedom is worth it,” Irje butted in, “He might enjoy it now, especially since you are his wife. But what would happen if you grow tired of him? Of us?”

“Do you question my love?” Anaise growled.

“Aikerim Adal was happy with him, yet it all took a single demand from the Censor and his skin felt her whip!” Irje angrily refuted only to sigh and continue more peacefully, “You might love him, but what if your descendants won’t? What if there will be a new Domina and it is not your mother nor you? If you believe in his love you don’t need to fear him leaving.”

“I fear for his death!” The red tail swished across the room, “Perhaps you need to see the creature’s trophy up close to understand what he will face out there!”

“Ladies!” I spoke over them, “Stop arguing over my decision and let me speak for myself.”

As I spoke, my left hand pulled Irje closer, while the other left Yeva’s hand in order to pull on Anaise’s tail once again. Hard enough that she landed on me with a soft squeak. I hugged all three to keep them quiet and listening.

“All of you are right to some degree. Yes, I will be doing this because freedom is truly worth it. Not from your mother, but from the Emanai system as a whole. But I am not planning on throwing my life away in a desperate hope that I would gain it. I saw the trophy room and I saw the size and the runic markings on its shell — I am aware of what it could mean. That is why I will train until experienced warriors will tell me I am ready. And then more.”

I sighed and squeezed them tighter, “I understand your fear Anaise and I share it. That fear stems from uncertainty. Uncertainty whether I live or die as well as uncertainty whether my graces within the House of Kiymetl would stay stellar. That is why I wish to forge my own fate, both against the creatures of the Forest as well as the slavery laws of Emanai.”

“I will not let you go, if I think you aren’t ready,” Anaise hugged me back.

“He will be,” Yeva spoke to my side, “Erf is full of tricks. I believe that it is the creatures that would fear him in the Forest once he steps inside.”

“You shouldn’t underestimate them,” The wermage chided softly.

“As Yeva said, I am full of tricks, however.” I chuckled, trying to lift the sombre mood. “Most of which I haven’t even started to develop. In fact, I was planning to talk to all three of you today, about myself and my past. To tell you more of what made me, well, me. And to assure you that I have plenty of ways to defend myself.”

My arm stretched out and black tendrils lashed out to envelop it. Much faster than they did during my ‘conversation’ with Sulla. Louder too.

“Wait,” Anaise’s fingers trailed over my skinsuit, “Is it alive?”

“It is. And if it gets damaged it will regrow itself. It also withstood the punch by Albin, and I have a feeling he could punch through steel.” I scratched my nose in contemplation, “Granted the runes could make steel tougher but the same could be done to the skinsuit.”

A palm landed on my lips, “We shouldn’t be discussing this. Not here!” Anaise hissed as she looked around.

“Is someone listening in?” Irje glanced as well.

“I don’t hear anyone, but us,” Yeva spoke up.

“This room has no protections. None.” Wermage spoke. “There are…these, who could easily listen in from far away. Or find out one way or another. You need to have silencing runes carved around your meeting rooms and that is just for private conversations. The stuff you tend to discuss needs the best protection possible. Trust me with this.”

“So we need to carve runes on the walls first?”

“No, we need Domina. Only my mother can make sure there is an ‘adequate’ security when you speak. Were you planning to share this knowledge with her as well?”

“Probably. Most of you had witnessed my growth, including Aikerim. What I wanted to talk about is the history of it. Excluding her now, while telling you would just lead to problems down the line.”

“And what if she tries to take him?” Yeva asked.

“She won’t. I am her first daughter, not only I am beholden to her by blood, but I will also inherit most of her titles and power once she steps down. As long as she is confident in me making wise choices and listening to advice, Domina has no need to take him. For I am the future Domina. For us, that is akin to stealing from oneself.”

XXX

I stood naked in front of lounging Aikerim, with the rest of my sadaq lying on nearby couches.

Well, technically naked. The skinsuit was deployed and covered me from neck to toes. Slightly bulging fibres of the exoskeleton muscle layer were partially covered by scaled plates on my torso. A futuristic warrior standing in front of the Roman patrician of the past.

Although Emanai ambience had more similarities with central Asia than Rome. If I remembered my history right, Romans liked to paint and fresco their walls, while Emanai liked to show off their fancy wall carpets and carve wood into intricate designs and incorporate runic scripts whenever possible.

And sand. The sand was literally in every fancy room they had. No wonder they hang their colourful farshat on the walls, I could just imagine how much time they would spend daily to clean all that sand from their fancy rugs.

“Impressive,” Aikerim observed, “Remind me to test its strength at a later time, something tells me you aren’t here about the armour.”

“I am not. I wanted to talk about my past and how I became what do you know as Erf. I was planning to talk about this with my sadaq and I feel that you should hear it as well.”

“Your feelings do not betray you, for I am indeed curious. I have been curious for quite a while but up until recently I had no means to satisfy my curiosity in a private manner.” She looked at Anaise, “The fact that you are here today with your entire sadaq means that you were wise enough to stay quiet all this time.”

“When you are around magical people who have the ability to peek into your inner thoughts, OPSEC becomes paramount. Operational security — analyzing what information is important and limiting ways for an adversary to get a hold of it.”

“That we can discuss at a later time,” She interrupted, “I cannot hold the protections indefinitely.”

“Right,” I nodded, “I will be quick and short for now. We could discuss certain topics in detail at a later time.”

I patted the breastplate, “Erf isn’t just one person, I am a union of three separate entities. My body and my knowledge of Emanai came from the farmer slave of Chimgen. On the way to Samat, he had found the crashed ship and the rest of me within it. He found a fruit full with knowledge, soul if you may, of the ship’s Navigator. No name, for he had many and they all belonged to different bodies.”

“And the third part?”

“The Ship itself, Lif is her name.”

Aikerim frowned, “The crashed one?”

“Not the one nearby, that was a mere boat to move between the ship and the land. The actual ship, or I should say what was left of her, had crashed somewhere else. Somewhere far away. I will say this right away — I will seek it out as it is a part of me, but I have no plans to fly away. This is my land and I won’t just leave it.”

“Fly?” She leaned forward, “Like a Pillar?”

“She doesn't use magic to fly and is unlikely to be able to fly right now. But yes tree-ships can stay in the air.” I subconsciously glanced at the window. Somewhere in that direction, in the middle of Samat, seven Pillars were floating above the city. Seven towers of the seven most important Manors in Emanai Manorat.

And in one of them Virnan Shah was probably still playing around with mathematics, but I didn’t want to think about true horrors right this moment.

Anaise elbowed Irje, “Do you see why I wanted him to talk here now? This is why.”

“And where did it fly from? To arrive here?”

I glanced upward, “Orion arm of the galaxy. But all these names would mean very little to you, I am afraid. Let me start with a brief history of the planet ‘Earth’.”

They listened quietly as I briefly talked about ‘murk homeworld’. A place without magic and Forests. A cradle of humanity that used technology to build society and eventually reach the stars. I spoke briefly about challenges that we faced in doing some. Some of which Emanai had already overcome, some it was in the middle of and many others that are yet to come.

Noticing the sweat on Aikerim’s forehead, I jumped ahead to the first scattering. A tumultuous time in the earth’s history where capitalistic tendencies of the past clashed most severely with the mass-automation of labour and subsequent loss in value of the average human life.

Only for humanity to develop stable fusion technology.

Technology that could fuel our rockets across the stars, even if the trips would take centuries to achieve. And the mass exodus and creation of the First colonies. Groups of people large and small, wishing to escape the burden of Earth. To seek out a life that was worth living, away from corporate conglomerates and privatized automated production that made most of the work redundant. But instead of bringing paradise on earth it further enriched the select few, while making others worthless in the eyes of the economy.

And humanity scattered for the first time among the stars.

Both ensuring the survival of our species but quickly fracturing as a result of it. Light speed communications were too slow to maintain cultural cohesion where each message would take tens or even hundreds of years to reach the recipient, if it reached them at all.

Borders were erased and redrawn again and again as each successful colony established its own culture and influence. While hundreds of the smaller ones had vanished without a trace. Some succumbed to accidents during their travel. Some went dark after landing, either intentionally to break away from the old chains or due to the failure to establish a successful colony.

“Billions of people died.” I spoke into the sand, “Thousands of expeditions and colony ships simply vanishing in the darkness only to be replaced by thousands more. Some were found afterwards. It is one of the Navigator’s tasks — to seek and help lost colonies. And I have many reasons to believe that this world, Tana, is one of them. Too many similarities not to be. Murks which are identical to humans, wer and wermages that are still closely related enough to have offspring. Animals and plants that all have Earthen counterparts. Even your language, while mostly unique, still feels like an offshoot of the many languages spoken on Earth.”

My toe drew two symbols on the sand. Vir and Tana. First two letters of their alphabet, or virtana as they called it.

Tana was obvious, the round O that represented dirt, land and world. And Vir — a symbol that looked like a stick figure or an OK turned ninety degrees clockwise. It represented self, existence and, surprisingly for a matriarchal society, a male. It was also the first letter of the word wer and wermage, and likely the reason for their spelling too. I saw the virmage spelling in the older books.

“There is a dead but widespread language: Latin. In it, the word vir means man.” I looked at my quiet audience, “It might be a complete coincidence…but knowing what I do know now — it might not be.”

207