Prologue
740 4 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Now, let’s all take a look at the latest statistics. There are over a hundred million cases worldwide, with approximately a million deaths. In the past month, there have only been two thousand infected and eight deaths. Although there is a downward trend, residents are expected to social distance with masks, and unless absolutely necessary, please refrain from gathering in large crowds...”

 

The news anchor continued to give the latest information about the pandemic with an expressionless face, not showing any signs of anxiety or fear. Throughout the past year, I became accustomed to seeing her face every time I turned on the news, and there were many times where she looked panicked. 

 

Well, who could blame her? It is a pandemic the likes of which we’ve never seen before.

 

Fortunately, there was light at the end of the tunnel.

 

“Vaccines are going to be readily available for the most vulnerable starting Monday, and our essential workers have already been fully vaccinated. Please do not be anxious. Our government is working hard to ensure that as many people are to be vaccinated and...”

 

“Desir? Oh, you’re out from the shower.”

 

A second voice tickled my side, drawing my attention away from the television. A gorgeous young lady came out from the kitchen while removing her oven mitts. The frilly, pink animal print apron obscured her slender body, but it could not cover her milky white collarbone. 

 

Reaching towards her back, the maiden pulled her hair tie, freeing the luscious black strands from their ponytail. Running down her back, the young woman untied her apron, revealing the solid white V-neck shirt and denim shorts that lay underneath. 

 

A year ago, I would have probably gasped at her beauty. However, after four full seasons, I’d more or less gotten used to her astounding good looks.

 

“You need help with the baking?”

 

“... Do I look that helpless to you?”

 

“Well, you created charcoal in my oven before...”

 

“That was ages ago!!!”

 

The girl pouted, puffing up her cheeks as if she were a squirrel. She looked unbearably adorable, and I was tempted to squeeze on those mochi-like cheeks. 

 

So I did.

 

“Hey! Stop that!”

 

“It’s your fault for acting like a squirrel.”

 

“I’ve asked you this before… what does that even mean?”

 

“... Next time, I’ll take a video.”

 

I paused before giving her a nonchalant answer. It was hard to describe her cuteness in words, so it would be best if I just showed it to her. Instead, I quickly changed the topic: “So, how’s the cake?”

 

“Coming together perfectly! It should be done before Len and Sienna arrive.”

 

“Oh ho? Looks like our little Althea has finally learnt how to time herself.”

 

“... There you go again, treating me like a child.”

 

“Haha, in my eyes, you’ll always be that red-nosed reindeer that bumped on my door last Christmas.”

 

“Y-You!!! How can you always say that with a straight face? Hmph! Just you wait! When Sienna comes, I’ll make sure she punishes you!”

 

Unable to handle the embarrassment, Althea folded her arms and snapped her head backwards. Really… even her angry look is adorable. I was tempted to pet her once more, but I held my hand this time. 

 

“Haha, my bad. My bad…”

 

“Gosh… You really love to tease me, Desir.”

 

“Who else should I tease? Ever since the pandemic started, you’re the only one that I see on a daily basis.”

 

“So if you’re required to go back to the office, you’ll stop teasing me?”

 

The young girl’s face brightened up like a lightbulb as if she was a prisoner that had been freed from years of torment. However, as the gears began to grind within her brain, her blooming smile slowly turned into a frantic grimace. “A-Ah, I don’t mean you should tease any random stranger… R-Right! You can tease Len or some other male colleagues. B-But other mature ladies are a no, alright? H-haha...”

 

This girl… Why is she so easy to read?

 

“Mature ladies are a no? So should I tease cute, younger girls? Maybe Grace would like it?”

 

“N-No! You can’t tease her! She’s my best friend!”

 

“What about some of your other female friends? They seemed to like my cooking last time. Maybe I should spend some time with them?”

 

“N-No… Not them either!”

 

“Ah, no younger or older women? Damn, I guess I have to find some of my female university mates. It’ll be out of the blue, but it can’t be helped, right? Since you’ve banned me from teasing you, I’ll just find someone else to tease.”

 

“Just don’t tease anybody!” Blushing from ear to ear, Althea stomped her foot in annoyance. 

 

Unable to bear with it anymore, Althea’s face turned as red as a tomato while her nebulous emerald eyes sparkled like two embers flickering in the white snow. Her mood turned sour, and yet, her adorable expressions made her look more like an animal in distress rather than an angry woman. 

 

“Haha, I’m sorry.”

 

I knew I had gone a little too far, so I ended the exchange with a stifled chuckle. Taking two steps towards her, I wrapped my arms around her sharp collar bones and pulled her into my chest. Her shoulders trembled, but there were no signs of any resistance. Rather, it felt like she was shifting her weight to accommodate mine.

 

You really are an adorable one.

 

Resting my chin on her shoulder, I felt my fatigue slowly dissipating, and my heartbeat got slower. My hand naturally moved over her head and my meaty fingers brushed her silky hair. Then, I leaned in closer to her left ear and whispered: “You’re the only one I’ll tease.”

 

“L-Like I said… Just don’t tease anyone!”

 

I chuckled and didn’t bother to reply. As if through telepathy, the girl in my embrace similarly felt my intentions, and we sauntered slowly to the sofa to take our usual positions in front of the television. 

 

To think that a year could have changed me this much. If my past self were to travel forward in time, he would probably scoff in disgust. The pandemic had changed the lives of many, some for the better, many for the worse. I was fortunate enough to be from the former group. And it was all thanks to…

 

The Angel in my arms. 

15