Chapter 80: Althea Leaves
154 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Althea and I are dating! Please give us your blessing!”

 

“...”

 

“...”

 

“...”

 

Silence. The world had become silent. My mind was blank, and I could barely comprehend the gravity of my words. It was as if someone else had possessed my body and spoke my words for me.

 

Though, I didn’t regret divulging the truth at all. If we were to go by the original plan that Althea and I concocted, it would take a month or two before we would finally go public and reveal everything to her parents.

 

I couldn’t wait that long.

 

No, I didn’t want to wait that long. If I really wanted to be with Althea, this hurdle was something that I would have to eventually cross. It didn’t make sense to delay it by a single minute, let alone an entire month.

 

“Althea, you...”

 

Instead of replying to my bold statement, Harper furrowed his brows and turned to his stupified daughter. She was in the midst of a mental breakdown, and her mind was likely blank. If I left it to her, I was certain that she would stammer and fail to explain herself. And thus, I doubled down on my boldness.

 

“Mister and Missus Kong, please hear me out,” I said decisively, bringing their attention back to me. “Althea and I began as simple neighbours. We weren’t even on talking terms before I saved her that Christmas night. However, after braving the pandemic together, we had developed deep feelings for each other.”

 

“...”

 

Neither of them breathed a word.

 

“Eventually, we became an item, and I beg your forgiveness that we’d never informed you. However, the feelings that we have for each other is genuine. This isn’t a puppy love or a one-time fling.”

 

“...”

 

“Although I can’t expect the two of you to approve of me straight away, I swear that I will do my best to make Althea happy. I’m telling you this right now to show my sincerity. If you can’t trust me, I’ll prove my worth through my actions. I’ll never let Althea down!”

 

“...”

 

Coming to the end of my monologue, I locked eyes with the two towering individuals. Both of them were in a trance-like state, likely due to the shock that I’ve bestowed upon them. However, I maintained my resolved eyes, no willing to back down for a single second. I desperately wanted their blessings as they were the only actual people that could hold back the relationship between Althea and me.

 

I couldn’t let that happen.

 

Even if the pair screamed at me, even if they hated my guts, even if they never wanted me to see their daughter again. I had to lay my feelings bare.

 

But fortunately for me, none of those reactions came to fruition.

 

“HAHAHA!!! I’d thought that would be the case!” Flashing a knowing smile, Maya giggled as her eyes gleamed happily. “Goodness, to think that our little Althea actually managed to find a boyfriend!”

 

“... You knew?” Harper eyed his wife with a gaze of condemnation.

 

“No, I just had a hunch.” Maya refuted Harper’s words as her smile grew even wider.

 

“H-How did you know, mom?”

 

“Haha, who do you think I am? I’m the person who gave birth to you, Althea!” The mature lady turned to her daughter as her face grew happier. “Every time we had a video call, I could see you getting progressively more jubilant. Recently, even your pale skin had been shining brightly! I’ve been guessing that you had either a crush or a boyfriend, besides...”

 

Maya turned towards me, and her smile turned a little sinister.

 

“Every time you bring up young Desir here, your face would light up. So I’d thought that the two of you might be dating.”

 

“M-Mom!”

 

I see… So Althea’s mother had expected it. Well, that was understandable. Given how close the pair were, I wouldn’t be surprised if she could guess Althea’s feelings even though they were ten thousand kilometres apart. And judging from her reaction… It doesn’t seem that Maya was against our relationship.

 

The problem was…

 

“Maya… If you knew, why didn’t you tell me?”

 

Harper’s voice was sombre as he asked the question. Before, he was all smiles and was happy to look me in the eye. But now, his face was unreadable. It was as if I got a faint taste of a dedicated diplomat who was at the top of his field.

 

“As I said, I was just guessing,” Maya shrugged her shoulders. “Without any evidence, I wouldn’t expose my little girl for no reason. Besides, even if she did get into a relationship with Desir, I felt that it would be fine since she would have company while we were overseas.”

 

Harper’s face hardened at that remark. Whatever the reason, it was a fact that they’d left Althea all alone in a middle of a pandemic. I wasn’t one to brag, but if I didn’t enter Althea’s life the way I did, it was likely that she would implode just a few months in.

 

I could understand the inner turmoil that was going on within Harper’s heart. On one side, he knew that I had saved Althea’s life and that she trusted me dearly. On the other hand, he also hated that his baby girl was already thrust into a boy-girl relationship without his knowing.

 

In the end, the man could only sigh in resignation: “Althea...”

 

“Y-yes!”

 

“You’re a grown woman now, and I trust your decision.”

 

“D-Dad!”

 

Althea’s face broke into a rainbow of smiles. As his daughter, she knew how stubborn and pig-headed the man could be at times. She also knew how protective Harper was when it came to her social affairs. The fact that he placed her in an all-girls private school was a testament to that fact. And so, his seal of approval was far more important than her mother’s.

 

“But, Desir...”

 

At that moment, Harper and I exchanged stares. Like two alpha Elks locking horns, neither of us gave way. Those emerald eyes of his, while similar to Althea’s, held a different kind of weight to them. It wasn’t a gentle gaze, and neither was it a cordial one. It was the eyes of a seasoned veteran who could peer into another’s soul.

 

God knows how many foreign leaders succumbed under those eyes. How many businessmen and executives that those eyes suppressed.

 

Involuntarily, I felt a knot form in my throat. This kind of pressure was new to me as I had always been the imposing figure. But that didn’t deter me from staring back into the abyss.

 

“I have don’t intend to interfere with Althea’s relationship, but if you were to harm her in any way...”

 

Harper had a bad experience with guys who were chasing his daughter. Nay, he had the absolute worst experience of his life when he heard that Althea was almost sexually assaulted. It didn’t matter if Harper had a good impression of me. It didn’t matter if I had saved Althea. It didn’t matter that I looked after her in his stead.

 

Althea was his daughter.

 

And he would do anything in his power to protect her.

 

But…

 

The same could be said for me.

 

“I’ll never do such a thing,” I confessed sincerely. “Althea is my guiding light. My guardian angel. You keep saying that I saved her, but it truth… She was the one who saved me.”

 

I stared at the flabbergasted girl, who was just a few more words away from blushing like a ripened strawberry.

 

“If it wasn’t for her, I would have still been living a grey life. I know that you can’t trust me yet, but I swear to you, I’ll never ever hurt my angel. I’d be a fool if I do. If I were to make her suffer in any way, you wouldn’t have to make a move. I would be the first person to break my own legs.”

 

“...”

 

Hearing my honest words, the three Kongs showed amusing expressions. Harper was rendered speechless, his mouth so wide that it could fit an entire pig in. Maya’s eyes shone ever so brightly as her lips arched towards her frosty cheeks. And as for my girlfriend…

 

“D-Desir… W-Why are you like that?!”

 

There was a mixture of emotions on her face. Happiness after hearing my honest thoughts. Shame for letting her parents hear them. Desire as she wished to pounce on me right then and there. And an array more that I couldn’t read.

 

“HAHAHA!!! Ah, is this youth? Goodness, you’ve found a good boyfriend, Althea!” Entertained out of her mind, Maya rubbed the tears from her eyes as she laughed. “Dear, you can’t deny that he’s sincere about our little baby, right?”

 

“... I have nothing to add.”

 

Harper gave a non-answer but seeing his sharp gaze soften, I knew that I got his approval. Still, that didn’t mean he liked the idea of his little girl being taken away. Standing up in a jiffy, the man turned towards the door and said:

 

“Althea, your mom and I will be returning tomorrow morning. You should come with us.”

 

“H-Huh?”

 

“Of course, if you want to stay, we won’t force you.”

 

“A-Ah, I didn’t mean that...”

 

Flustered, Althea alternated her eyes between Harper and me. She was literally given a choice between her father and her boyfriend. In her mind, at least, it was a tough choice to make.

 

“Just think about it. We can have this talk again during dinner.”

 

Not intending to put his daughter on the spot, Harper moved towards my front door with a frosty expression. I could tell that he wasn’t happy with Althea’s hesitance, but as a man who requires to put on a composed persona, Harper acted as if it didn’t matter to him.

 

Really… In some cases, the daughter takes after the father more than the mother.

 

“D-Dad...”

 

Harper left my apartment, likely to brood over losing his daughter in her apartment. No, since he was paying its rent, it was legally his apartment. Of course, I couldn’t chase after him, and neither could Althea. The only person who could, was the one who knew him the best.

 

“Haha, you guys don’t have to worry about him,” Maya reassured the two of us. “He’s just bitter that his precious daughter has been taken by another man. Harper isn’t the type to sternly go against Althea’s wishes.”

 

I could tell. The man wasn’t like the traditional father, who would scrutinise every boyfriend that his daughter brings home. As long as Althea was happy, Harper would likely allow her to date whoever she chooses.

 

“So don’t worry! I’m sure he’ll warm up to you!”

 

“That’s a relief...”

 

At the very least, he wasn’t opposed to our relationship. Asking for anything more than that would be overkill. Besides, I had my entire lifetime left to win him over!

 

“But, your father is right. Althea, you should really come home with us. At least for a week or two.” Maya added smilingly. “We haven’t seen each other in a year. And while he doesn’t say it out loud, your father really misses you a lot.”

 

“Ah...”

 

Althea felt her heart sink. Just like her father, the girl did sorely miss her parents. If she was asked to return home with them last December, Althea would have likely agreed in a heartbeat. Alas, there was one new variable that was blocking her decision.

 

Me.

 

“Just go, Althea. You should spend them with your parents.”

 

“B-But...”

 

“Haha, what’s there to hesitate?”

 

“W-We’ve never been apart for more than a day… If I left you for a week...”

 

Seriously? You can’t even leave me for a week? Urgh, looks like her attachment issues have escalated faster than I’d expected. Perhaps her parents’ return was a blessing in disguise?

 

“Don’t worry about me. You should spend time with your parents as well! Of course, if you ever feel the need to listen to my voice, I’m only one phone call away.”

 

“Desir...”

 

“Now, now.” I moved forward and gently caressed the girl’s little head. “No matter where you are, I’ll always be here for you. You do know that, right?”

 

“... Yeah, I do.”

 

“So, what are you worried about?” I smiled as my fingers brushed down her luscious hair. “Go and spend time with your parents. I’ll eagerly await your return.”

 

“Okay...”

 

Althea pressed her head into my burly chest, enveloping herself in my scent. It was the only way for her to calm down.

 

“Tch, these young lovebirds. Are you trying to kill me with heartburn?”

 

All of a sudden, an unfamiliar voice broke us free from our stupor. Shit, we actually went into our own world while ignoring Althea’s mother! How could I have made such a blunder?!

 

“S-Sorry, Missus Kong!”

 

“Still calling me that? Judging from your relationship, you should call me mother-in-law!”

 

“M-Mom?!”

 

“Hah… You guys are lucky that Harper has already left. If he’d seen you two flirting like that… Hah, it sure brings back memories. When Harper and I were young, we were also like the two of you. We couldn’t keep our hands off each other, and when we conceived Althea...”

 

“M-Mom! Too much information! Too much information!!!”

 

Now I get it… In their relationship, Maya was likely the one who teases everyone while Harper was the shy one. In some ways, it was parallel to our own relationship.

 

Holding back a wry smile, I watched as my girlfriend turned as red as a tomato as her mother continued to tease her, much like how I would do the same.

6