Chapter 90: Children
179 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The world was slowly reverting back to a new normal. Don’t get me wrong, the pandemic was still here and probably here to stay. But through a mixture of good government planning, citizens doing their social responsibility by wearing masks and socially distancing and advancements in medical technology, the pandemic was being kept under control.

 

The number of cases were dwindling, and people weren’t as vulnerable to the deadly virus anymore.

 

That wasn’t to say that we could go back to how we were before the pandemic.

 

Most workplaces, including my own, still had a work-from-home mandate. Schools such as Althea’s also used a home-based learning model just to be safe. And restaurants still could only run at half capacity.

 

But other than that, our country was slowly recovering from the horrendous effects of the pandemic.

 

And with that, Althea and I spent a little more time outside...

 

“Hah… Hah… Hah… Desir, I’m spent!”

 

“Yeah,” I took out a towel from my bag and handed it over to the flushed girl. “I’m surprised you kept up this time. Your endurance is improving!”

 

“Thanks!” Althea accepted the towel and dried up the sweat dripping down her forehead. She looked back at the track which encircled the familiar lake only to heave out an empty sigh: “I still think that I can improve on my lap time, though.”

 

“You’re doing good enough! You just started exercising a few months back; it’s already astonishing that you can reach these kinds of times!”

 

I wasn’t patronising my girlfriend or anything. It was the genuine truth. As someone who had just began her exercising journey, it wasn’t easy to reach her current level. Perhaps it was a mixture of my fitness experience and overall nutrition, but Althea had been improving at a drastic rate.

 

In the past, Althea was gaunt and borderline sickly. It might not even be an exaggeration to call her a pile of bones. But as we started working out together and after I placed her on the right nutritional path, the girl had obtained the epitome of a womanly body.

 

There wasn’t a single ounce of unwanted fat on her tight body. The muscles she obtained were amply defined, and her perfect looks were highlighted through her long limbs. Now, it wasn’t like she had become a muscular woman. Far from it, in fact. Althea seemed more like a top idol which had been training to look good for the camera rather than a sportswoman who honed herself to the peak of physical fitness.

 

“Really?”

 

“Yeah, I think these outdoor exercise sessions really helped train!”

 

While having an indoor workout was comfortable and relaxing, sometimes, it was good to get some fresh oxygen pumping through our lungs. And that’s what I did with Althea as we took a running session down at the lake.

 

“I still can’t come close to your time, though.”

 

“You don’t have to worry about that!” I chuckled as I received the towel from Althea’s hands.

 

Althea was a beginner, while I had been training for more than half a decade. If she could reach my time, I would be the one who would be hiding my face.

 

“When it comes to exercise, you should only compare to yourself. Training your body is a very personal routine, and comparing it with others would only slow you down.”

 

“I know that, but...”

 

“No buts,” I lovingly caressed her head to calm her down. “I told you, Althea. You’re doing good. Don’t you believe me?”

 

“... That’s unfair, Desir. If you talk to me with those eyes, I can’t say anything else.”

 

“Haha, I’m glad my secret weapon worked on you.”

 

It was a power that I’ve recently discovered that I had. If I looked at Althea with loving eyes, she would melt and instantly calm down. It was probably only effective on those emerald crystals that I stared into, but I didn’t need it to affect anyone else. There was only one woman I cared about in this entire world.

 

“Let’s return, shall we?”

 

“Y-yes,” Althea blushed and reached out for my free right hand.

 

As if it were the most natural action in the world, my fingers interlaced with hers, and I pulled her body closer to mine. Enjoying my touch, Althea looked up with gleaming eyes and beamed from ear to ear. That smile… That simple smile… Was enough to make my heart skip a beat.

 

Oh, Desir… How far have you fallen?

 

Didn’t you say you had sworn off all relationships? Yet, here you are, lovingly holding hands with a girl. Goodness, I have changed so much.

 

“Ah, Desir.”

 

“Hmmm? Ah...”

 

While I was distracted by my thoughts, Althea pointed her finger at a woman in her thirties pushing a stroller. She struggled to climb up the stairs that we were headed to, and there wasn’t anyone nearby to help her.

 

“Hold this for a second, Althea.”

 

“Yeah, sure!”

 

I gave Althea the exercise bag in my other hand and rushed to the mother.

 

“Ma’am, let me help you.”

 

“A-Ah, I can’t bother you.”

 

“No, it’s nothing, really,” I shook my head and lifted up the stroller with both hands. I could feel the young toddler sleeping within and did my best to keep the rocking within limits. So, it took some time before I could conquer the stairs and return the young baby to its mother.

 

“Thank you! Thank you so much for your help!”

 

“It’s my pleasure,” I answered as I went over to take the exercise bag from Althea’s hand. However, the girl was in a daze as she peered into the stroller and didn’t notice my gestures.

 

“Ma’am! Your baby is so cute!”

 

“Oh? Why thank you!” The mother stuck her chest out in pride as someone praised her child. “She’s only one year old, and she already takes after me! In the future, I’m sure that she will become a great beauty like myself.”

 

… Was this mother a narcissist?

 

Granted, she did look relatively decent. If I were to rate her from one to ten in terms of attractiveness, I guess she would be among the higher ranks? But still, to call herself a great beauty…

 

“Yeah, she sure is adorable...”

 

Althea ignored the mother’s statement and continued to stare lovingly at the young baby. I had to admit, the baby in the stroller was quite adorable. Her chubby cheeks were reminiscent of soft mochi balls, and her tiny arms and legs made her look far too cute of a creature. I don’t know what it was, but when I saw such a vulnerable and small thing, I felt the need to protect it with all my heart.

 

“Haha, you’re a great beauty as well! If you have a child in the future, I’m sure she will be as cute as you.”

 

“M-Me?!”

 

“Yes! Having a baby is good, you know! You get to play with them every single day!”

 

“Every day...”

 

Althea stared right at the young baby girl with yearning eyes. Unknowingly, her left hand reached into the stroller as her outstretched finger tried to touch the kicking baby. But before Althea could even touch the girl, the baby started to bellow.

 

“Ooops, look like someone is tired. Sorry, I think I should return home now. Thank you for the help!”

 

Used to her baby’s cries, the mother instantly deduced her desires and bade us farewell. She was probably in a hurry to return as well, so we didn’t hold her up. In the end, we stared blankly at the impatient mother as she rushed down the pavement with her young baby girl.

 

“That was… interesting...”

 

“Y-Yeah, I didn’t think that the baby would cry...”

 

“Haha, don’t beat yourself up on it. She was probably tired and needed her milk or something.”

 

It was common for babies to cry. Hell, that might even be their defining feature. It definitely wasn’t because she hated Althea or anything like that.

 

“Still… A child, huh?”

 

“Hmmm? What’s wrong?”

 

“D-Desir, you… H-Have you ever thought of having children?”

 

… What?

 

Wait, wait, wait! Having children… with Althea? Wait, why am I getting nervous about this? This was a common thing to talk about in all relationships. In fact, it was encouraged for couples to talk about whether they wanted children even before they entered a relationship. This ensured that there wouldn’t be friction later on as they progressed from lovers to spouses.

 

If anything, it was odd that Althea and I hadn’t talked about it before.

 

“T-That...”

 

Externally, I had put on a brave front, but internally… I was panicking beyond belief. What should I say in this situation? What answer would make Althea happy? No, what if Althea doesn’t feel the same way as I did? Would we break up right here?

 

… What the hell are you thinking, Desir?

 

If you want a relationship to last, shouldn’t you tell the truth? Even if Althea didn’t feel the same way as I did… I had to be true to her.

 

“Honestly, I’ve never really thought about it.”

 

I sighed as my reply came out flawlessly.

 

“Before I met you, I wasn’t even interested in relationships, let alone having children. So the thought of having a child… It never really crossed my mind.”

 

It was the most honest reply I could come up with.

 

“Truth to be told, because of how rough my childhood was, I’d always thought that having children would be a bad choice. I didn’t want anyone to go through what I did earlier in life, especially if it were my own flesh and blood.”

 

There was a period of time where I firmly thought that bearing a child would be a bad thing. They would suffer rejections just like I did. They would have to work through trials and adversity just like I did. They would be bullied and shunned just like I was.

 

But as I grew older and understood how life worked better… I’d realised that it was just the opposite.

 

Having a child could be a blessing, just as it might be a curse. It all depends on the person you’re asking.

 

“But right now… I don’t feel the same way. I really love the time I’ve spent with you, and all I want to do now… is to make you happy.”

 

“D-Desir...”

 

“So, if you want children, I wouldn’t mind having some.” I bashfully replied to the blushing girl while scratching my cheek. “O-Of course, if you don’t want kids, that’s fine as well! All I want now is to be with you. It doesn’t matter if a child is in the equation or not.”

 

Althea dropped her face down, not daring to meet my gaze. I couldn’t tell what she was thinking at the moment, but it was probably the same as me. She was trying her best to fight back the embarrassment.

 

“S-So? W-What do you think?” I asked cautiously.

 

“M-Maybe, down the road… I would want one...”

 

“I-I see...”

 

T-That was good to know.

 

So, Althea wants a baby… If that’s the case, I’ll have to start getting promotions and pay raises. Raising a child in the city ain’t cheap. We’ll need to move into a nice neighbourhood that has a good school and daycare. To help get around, we’ll probably need a car. And this apartment was far too small for a family.

 

Eh, that was still a long way down the road. Althea and I will have plenty of time to plan for that. Alas, I didn’t notice Althea’s face turning frantic at my lack of words in my moment of thought.

 

“D-Desir, if you want one now, I wouldn’t mind too!”

 

“H-Huh?”

 

“A-Ah, it might be difficult to go to school with a baby in my stomach, but I think I can manage! B-But we won’t get pregnant that easily, right? I-I can ask my mother for some fertility drugs if you want! A-And-...”

 

“CALM DOWN, ALTHEA!!!”

 

“H-Hic!”

 

Goodness, Althea’s sudden confession made my neck tense up. Calming both of us down, I grabbed onto her head and said:

 

“I’m not in a hurry, Althea. Jesus, you don’t have to scare me like that.”

 

“S-Sorry...”

 

“Haha, don’t be...”

 

We cuddled for a brief moment before finally getting back on track. “Althea… You’re far too young to be thinking about having children. You still have to graduate, find a fulfilling career, and enjoy what little you have of your young life. When we have children, all of that goes out of the window, you know that, right?”

 

It wasn’t like you couldn’t enjoy life once a baby was born from your flesh, but changes were inevitable. All of your focus won’t be on yourself anymore, but the baby who is wholly reliant on you. It was a huge responsibility, and rushing into it was far too reckless.

 

“I-I see...”

 

“I’m not in any rush, Althea. So why should you be?”

 

“I-I know...”

 

Althea rested her face on my chest, pressing her body into mine. It was probably a mixture of anxiety, embarrassment and relief that prompted her to behave in that manner.

 

“So let’s take matters one step at a time, shall we?”

 

“Yes...”

 

I didn’t realise it then, but… On this day, I had essentially promised my future to the adorable creature in my hands.

6