Chapter 97: Confession Under The Tree
131 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After separating from the group at the library, Althea and I continued with our little campus date, wholly unaware that a storm was brewing online. I learned later on that the news about Althea’s boyfriend had even reached the ears of some professors just hours after our meeting in the library.

 

Though, that really didn’t matter to me.

 

With a beauty in my arms, I held my chin up high as we sauntered down the campus roads filled with the falling leaves of Autumn. Laughing as we toured, Althea introduced me to the places she loved the most in the business faculty. And an hour later, I did the same with her.

 

We went to the IT faculty, which had become a total ghost town due to the pandemic. Unlike business students, most students who went into computer science preferred to study alone, in the comforts of their own homes.

 

So, we basically had the entire campus to ourselves. Which was convenient, given that most of the IT students here were hormonal young boys and bringing Althea in here was akin to flashing a piece of raw, dripping meat to a pack of hungry wolves.

 

Time passed us by very quickly during our brief tour. Before we knew it, the sun was beginning to disappear from the sky, and it was almost time for the reunion dinner.

 

But… There was one final destination that we had to go to.

 

“Desir… Do you know about the tree at the right-wing of Invictus Hall?”

 

“... How could I not?”

 

Every university, or school for that matter, would have an infamous tree of love. Be it elementary, high school or even universities, there was always one tree that grasped the minds of every young couple.

 

And Kofuku university was no exception.

 

The tree in Invictus Hall was one of, if not the oldest tree in our university. Legend has it that the university's founder, Dean Invictus, planted the tree with his wife to commemorate the opening of his crowning achievement.

 

And even though it was nearing a hundred years old, the legendary tree still stood tall. It didn’t matter if it were a hurricane or a blizzard... An earthquake or a major flood... Naughty students that loved to vandalise… There was nothing that could uproot this unbreakable tree.

 

Needless to say, because of its near-mythical history, people have dramatised this tree throughout the years.

 

Some say, if you make a wish under it, it would most definitely come true. Others say that just standing under it for five minutes would cure any and all diseases. There were many fables that could be said about the legendary tree, but only one truly stood the test of time.

 

“They say that if you accept a confession under that tree, you would be bound for the rest of time.”

 

“Yeah, I’ve heard of that...”

 

Well, even if that was true, Althea and I were already a couple. A loving one at that. Plus, our relationship didn’t need some old tree to remain stable.

 

Still…

 

“I know that it doesn’t matter, but shall we go take a picture there?”

 

“Now?”

 

I glanced over at my watch, and there were only a few more minutes left before our dinner. If we walked to Invictus Hall and back, we would most certainly be late.

 

“Yeah! Don’t worry, it’ll take just a minute...”

 

Althea held onto my hand tightly as our feet shuffled earnestly towards the enigmatic tree. The walk to Invictus Hall was mundane, boring even. There wasn’t any beautiful foliage or even statues to gawk at. However, all of that changed the moment we stepped foot in the right-wing.

 

While most of the university had been renovated throughout the years, only the right-wing of Invictus Hall had remained essentially unchanged. Pieces of history could be seen littered throughout the massive corridors with paintings of the great founders. Greyed out floors made from marble. Yellowed pillars that had stood for almost a century.

 

There was even a list of prominent professors that had risen throughout the years, highlighting the immense history that Kofuku University had.

 

If there ever was a time capsule, the right-wing of Invictus Hall would be it.

 

However, since we were in a hurry, Althea and I didn’t stop to marvel at every historical sight in our path. We only had one objective in mind.

 

In the heart of the right-wing, the only place in the university that was untouched by time, there stood a noble Red Oak tree. It grew to over twenty metres in height as it broke through the octagon-shaped opening in the ceiling.

 

It stood all alone, like a worthy ruler that towered over its subjects. Years of maintenance and trimming had kept the glorious tree from breaking into the floors beyond its limits, which made it the perfect place for students and professors alike to take photos.

 

And that’s what Althea was planning to do.

 

“Hmmm, Desir, do you mind holding the phone up?”

 

Althea opened up her camera application and handed her phone over to me. As the taller person and the one with the longer arms, it made sense for me to take the photos. But I didn’t accept the phone. Instead, I pushed it back into Althea’s hands, much to the girl’s confusion.

 

Althea’s emerald eyes opened up so wide that her face seemed small in comparison. Goodness, how are you so cute?

 

No, no! I can’t get distracted.

 

Wrapping my big hands around hers, I brought the girl closer to my chest. Eventually, our faces were just inches apart and just one step further, and our noses would touch. Still, Althea wasn’t disgusted by my sudden actions. Rather, she was showing a face of befuddlement.

 

Don’t worry, girl… I won’t keep you in suspense anymore.

 

Looking deep into her eyes, I muttered the words that I had been holding back since we’d arrived at this legendary location.

 

“Althea Kong! I love you! Will you be my girlfriend?”

 

“H-Huh?!”

 

“Hmmm? Didn’t you say that those who confessed under this tree would be together for the remainder of time? I’m just doing what you asked!”

 

“B-But, we’re already dating...”

 

“Well, you confessed to me first, but I’ve yet to confess to you! So, technically this confession still counts as it’s my confession to you!”

 

“That’s just sophistry!”

 

Althea finally had a change of expression. Her confusion turned into a bemused laugh, as she didn’t know if she should be happy or innocently foolish. Haha, you say that, but your face has already betrayed your happiness. Leaning in, I whispered:

 

“You don’t like my confession?”

 

“No, it’s just… Good grief, Desir! You know what I mean!”

 

“Hehe, of course I do!”

 

Once again, I brought Althea closer into my chest. At the same time, I inched closer towards the tree that was overseeing my confession. Fortunately, there was no one here to witness our awkward interactions. I really envy those couples who could confess without a care in the world of their surroundings.

 

“So, what’s your answer?”

 

“Answer?”

 

“I just confessed to you! Don’t tell me you want to break up with me?”

 

“Hell no!” Althea grabbed onto my neck and firmly held my shoulders. The power in her fingers was so strong that I felt the entirety of my body being restrained, and not just in a physical manner. It was as if Althea wanted to lock my entire existence in a box and never let me out.

 

“But are you sure about that? People who confess under this tree will stay together for the rest of their lives. Are you ready to make that commitment, Desir Snow?”

 

Huh? What on earth is this girl saying?

 

“What do you mean, am I ready? I was ready from the day you fell onto my front door, my little red-nosed reindeer.”

 

“Desir!!!”

 

Unable to hold back her exhilaration, Althea leapt into my chest and bound my body with hers. The warmth that we shared permeated through our bodies and into our beating hearts, and our souls merged into one.

 

“Darling… Desir… My boyfriend… Mine...”

 

“Yes, yes, yes… I’m yours...”

 

Lightly tapping on her shoulders, I shared bits of my happiness with my precious girlfriend. With the brighter emotion of life flowing through our veins, Althea locked eyes with me and inched her face closer towards mine. Wrapping our lips together, our love melted into one.

 

“That’s right… I’m yours...”

 

And you’re mine.

4