Chapter 122
2.9k 2 91
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After Dream Vision had sold the rights to [The Blair Witch Project] to Wheel Works, they had invested heavily in creating a sequel to Will’s first movie. Will had heard rumors that the movie had been highly anticipated by viewers but had failed to meet expectations and had just broken even with the initial investments at the box office.

Critics around the world blamed the failure of the film on the absence of Will Evans in the production of the film, and that sentiment was easily shared by many moviegoers around the world. Colt Miller wanted to avoid a similar situation unfolding with [Sherlock Holmes] movie sequels. He was highly apprehensive of Will not being part of its direction and production, apart from Script Writing.

“Don’t worry about the quality of the plot for this movie. I am still writing its script, and I will also choose a competent director for the movie, so it shouldn’t be a problem. The cast is almost entirely returning for either sequel, so that isn’t an issue either.” Will tried to assuage his fear.

Colt turned to look at Will, his body language indicating that he was now giving his full attention to Will. He leaned forward a little and asked, “When do you plan to start the filming for the next instalment of the series?”

Will pondered the question for a bit, staring at the nighttime skyline of Los Angeles that was visible from the Hotel Balcony, and said, “I believe that if we start the production somewhere during the second or third fiscal quarter next year, we would gain the maximum time needed between the sequels for the hype around the project to simmer a little, while not letting it completely die down. So it will be perfect for the franchise.”

Colt could see the sound reasoning behind that and then said, “Alright, but unlike last time, Foxstar wants to have higher involvement in the production process. Last time, my father let you take the reins for the project, but I can’t allow that; we want to get involved with the pre-production and filming of the movie.”

That was not something Will was willing to allow, and neither was it something they could enforce, as Will was the sole investor in the sequel, while Foxstar was just the distributor. He had made that clear with Spencer before he was admitted into the hospital. While the filming process would be fairly simple, and their oversight on it wouldn’t hinder the process much, as most of it would be in the hands of the director, whoever it be that Will eventually chose, he would not budge in order to allow Foxstar oversight over the production and selection process.

Considering that Colt was still relatively new to the industry and he had yet to learn the ropes, Will bluntly said, “I am the proprietary investor in the project; while I have no issues with Foxstar overlooking and helping the filming process, I cannot allow Foxstar to get involved with the pre-production, I already have most of the cast from the original returning, and as I have said, I will select a competent director for the filming, and even after that I will keep a close eye on the filming as well.”

Colt pursed his lips, and while he knew that he couldn’t change much with the way that the investment and ownership were divided, he didn’t like it. Will had 42 percent share in the local and 20 percent share in the international box office for the next two instalments of the franchise. That meant that Foxstar had a minimal share in the final product, he didn’t understand why his father allowed such a one-sided contract to be signed, and he desperately wanted to change that, but he knew he couldn’t.

“I wanted to discuss the distribution rights for one of my upcoming projects, [1917]. I am again the proprietary investor in the project and wish to have Foxstar distribute the project both locally and internationally.” Will tried to move on from the clearly uncomfortable topic. 

This was a chance that Colt could take and negotiate more balanced terms for the final shares. “We will have to go over the contract details, [Sherlock Holmes] has gotten away with a contract unfavorable to Foxstar, mainly because it is a highly profitable and high box office returns from its first movie, I believe [1917], by its rumors of it being a World War One era war drama, will be a standalone film, and thus the terms that were applicable to [Sherlock Holmes] will not stand for this.” 

Will shook his head and pursed his lips. He finally turned from the railing of the balcony, giving his full attention to Colt Miller, who he noticed was standing right next to him, almost hovering over his head. Straightening himself, and matching his gaze for a couple of seconds, he said, “Why don’t we decide that discussion after we have finished with the production and filming of the movie. Director Lucas Amspoker is already in England with the filming, and I am sure, once you have seen what we have come up with, you will be able to make a more informed and wise decision for the distribution rights of the movie. Provided that you’re still in the chair, and Spencer is not back with a gusto, that is.” He joked.

And apart from that, Amanda was already in talks with OP Studios for talks of distribution rights for [500 days of Summer], and if those talks reach a favorable conclusion, he could easily divert [1917]’s distribution rights there. If Colt remained adamant and stubborn over getting more involved with the production and filming of his films, that is. It was a great alternative, it was a smart move by Amanda to create more inroads and networks that Dream Vision could exploit, given the need.

Colt laughed a boisterous laugh at the jab and replied, “Don’t count on it. My old man is retiring, and while I think he will occasionally show up at work to help around, he can’t continue working at his advanced age. Come, let us head back to the party, I hear they have a great Crème Brulee at the bar!” and started walking back towards the party. 

Will stared at his back for a moment and sighed. He leaned over the railing of the balcony, loosening his tie a bit, and thought about the change in stance from Foxstar. He could understand the direction from which Colt was coming. He was new to the work, just like he had been a year ago. He had a lot to learn. He was basically groomed from an early age to take up the position that he was now chairing, and he knew the basic understanding of the job that he had undertaken, but he was inexperienced and a by-the-books kind of person. [Sherlock Holmes] and [1917] would be his first major project in the industry, and he wanted to use it to show that he was competent at his work. But, he had a long way to go before he would be able to match the competency and credibility that was shown by his father, Spencer.

Turning around, Will returned to the party, his major agenda for attending the party now complete, and he was also a little intrigued by the Crème Brulee that Colt had hinted at. He also tried to socialize with the various actors and directors at the party, who were curious about his next project but were in no position to finalize anything else there due to their inebriated state. So, he decided that he would enjoy the food and drinks at the party and then take an early exit, as he didn’t want to get too knackered as he had to drive home as well.

91