Chapter 6
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Scale woke up immediately upon the sound of the door opening. “Huh? What? Where?” She looked around, noticing Toxic opened the door with a loud sigh of relief. “Toxic! Where have you been?”

Toxic answered, “Rescuing Mason… It had been a rough night. We’ve found more visitors, but they will be leaving soon.”

Scale blinked, “Oh…so you’re not hungry then? I prepared dinner all night for you.”

Mason apologized, “I’m sorry for that too but we got busy and I was trying to rescue my friend from the evil scientist.”

Scale glanced at Kai-lan, noticing the red, fresh scratch marks. “I see.”

Kai-lan stood back, “I am fine. I had a slight burning sensation.”

Toxic blinked as if he almost forgot. He went over his shelf, picking up a water bottle and a green healing potion and gave it to Kai-lan. “Here, take this. It’ll make you feel better.”

“What’s this?” Kai-lan stared at the glass potion.

“It’s healing potion. It won’t give you scar when you heal,” said Toxic. “You don’t want scars, do you?”

Kai-lan shook her head. “No and thank you.” She bowed gratefully.

Mason smiled and then he looked over at Jeffrey and Satin who knew about the incident. He came over and asked, “How about you? What did you do over the years without me?”

Satin answered depressed, “I went to work.”

Jeffreyrey answered, “I am going to college to study engineering, but we do miss you over the years. Kai-lan’s parents were taking care of us.”

“What about my parents?”

Jeffreyrey frowned sadly, remembering what happened to them. “They’re buried in the cemetery. You can visit them, but I’m not sure how the public would feel about you because of the way you look. They might be terrified.”

Mason said, “I’m not scared.”

Jeffreyrey shrugged his shoulders, “You tell me… I don’t know what you feel.”

He thought about going home with them, but where would he go. “I wanted to go home with you again, but I fear that people will take me back to the lab to study me.”

Satin smiled lightly. “No worries. We’ll make you a place for you to stay but I don’t know if Kai-lan’s parents would accept you since they’re superstitious. They might think of you as a ghost or something.”

Kai-lan nodded, “Yeah.”

Mason turned to Toxic, “Do you think you’ll be fine without me?”

Toxic replied, “Leaving us, already?

“Yes, I want to get back to my hometown and I haven’t seen the cities for many years,” said Mason.

Kai-lan said, “The city isn’t pleasant as you may think, but the authority is on our side.” She folded her arms.

Toxic shrugged his shoulders, “You are welcome back here if you feel alone. You don’t live far from the forest, do you?”

Kai-lan coughed, “It’s about fifty miles away from here.” She remembered how long it took her to get here since she was captured.

Toxic figured in his head, “Very well. If this is a farewell…” He hugged Mason with his arms around his neck and took a step back. “I hope you would have a great life beyond the forest of death.”

Mason nodded and smiled back kindly. “I promise to visit you one day.”

Toxic turned to Cypress, “Take them back to the main road to safety.”

Cypress answered, “I will.” He glanced as Moonshine, nodding together.

Mason, Kai-lan, Satin, and Jeffrey exchanged looks and they were ready to leave. Cypress and Moonshine led them out of Toxic’s home, leading them back to the forest to search for the main road.

Satin mentioned, “I have a silver truck parked on the side somewhere. I hope you knew how to get there.”

Cypress replied, “Don’t worry, I know where that is.”

The walk took them about another thirty-minutes. The spot around the forest was becoming familiar to Jeffrey and Satin as they ran into the forest hills before the dusk. The hills elevated above where the main road lies. Cypress and Moonshine stopped where they couldn’t go any further.

Cypress pointed with his head, “The main road is above.”

Jeffrey answered, “Thank you.” He started to climb up together with Satin and Kai-lan.

Kai-lan looked back, noticing Mason wasn’t following. “Do you want to go or what?”

Mason looked up, wondering if he should return back to the human world in the new looks he had for many years. He wasn’t sure. People could shoot him if they were frightened by his looks.

Kai-lan noticed the fear in his black sclera eyes. She slid down from the hill, taking his hands and smiled. “I’m not afraid of you, Mason. You’re still my friend.”

Mason blinked, “Are you sure?’

“I’m sure… I would never leave you. Come on.” She dragged his hands, helping him to get up to the hills to reach to the main road.

Once they reached to the top, the bright blue sky rose above. He no longer see the shade of trees in the forest. It was clear and beautiful where the flock of birds soared.

Satin rolled up the window where Jeffreyrey sat, “You can sit inside of my truck. No worries.”

And then Jeffreyrey opened the door from the passenger side. “Come here.”

Kai-lan allowed Mason to go in first. Mason was hesitated to go into a truck for the first time and then he climbed in, sitting in the back and trying to control his blood to stop bleeding. Then, Kai-lan went in and shut the truck door.

Satin started up the engine and the truck revved up as the gas pedal struck with his foot. The truck moved forward as it ran down the road.

Mason gazed out through the windows, staring at the forest where he remembered his terrible uncle took him to the lab facility. Knowing that it was burned to ashes, he would never come back to it again. But… would he see Toxic, Cypress, and the others in the same forest where he was in, maybe. His mind was foggy in his head, wondering if he would get his revenge back at Dr. Grim and Sable for ruining his life.

Dr. Grim and Sable were not found, but the lone psychopath was on the loose in the forest, probably causing another rampage. Mason was too unsure what became of them and he didn’t want to think about it. He needed to move on and start over a new life with Kai-lan, Satin, and Jeffrey.

0