Chapter 1: Before the Disaster
59 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I woke up to the sun shining on my face. It was summer, and summer in this little island off the continent of Averyl feels like a stone oven. I looked at my desk, there was a spell book that I was supposed to have the first 10 pages memorized last night, a battle ax that is very worn out from battle, a few flowers that Chelsea gave to me, and my mother’s necklace. I considered this necklace as a good luck charm, as I was grabbing this necklace while my mother was protecting me from the soldiers of Rakathen in the war that ended 15 years ago. As I was grabbing my battle ax, I heard a knock on my door. 

“ IVO! It’s breakfast time! Wake up! You missed the roll call.” Said Chelsea, my friend. 

“I’m already up, you can stop annoying me now.” I said back

I stepped out of my room and walked down the stairs with Chelsea. Issak and Goodwin were there, as if they were waiting to give me a lecture. However, no lecture was given, they just told me to eat my breakfast.
“Ivo, you missed the roll call and was late for breakfast, I do not expect it to happen again” Goodwin said, in a stern voice.
“Give the young man a little break! You were the same way when you were his age.” Issak talked back

“He is not supposed to repeat my mistakes”
“Speaking of age, isn’t your 18th birthday coming in 2 moons Ivo? How does it feel? Almost a man?” Issak bombarded me with questions
“It would feel great to be able to do jobs alone.” I said back

“I thought you liked my company, how rude!” Chelsea frowned. 

Issak smiled at me as he said
“I still remember that day when I brought you up out of that trap, you were only a tiny little creature there, and then you would…” Issak started saying

“Enough of the rambling, you two, I need you to deal with the aftermath of the cult extermination” Goodwin said to me and Chelsea

“There were survivors?” I asked

“Yes, some of them escaped using disguise spells. We have gotten intel that they are gathering at the Rogury hill, be careful, and get there quick, Vesper is already there waiting for you two”
“Aye aye captain” 

Ah yes, the cult, they worshiped the Goddess of Luck, Leora. They were fanatic about it, threatening people to join them. At one point, the mayor decided to hire us as mercenaries to deal with it, and we did, but I am surprised that there were survivors. We weren’t supposed to be careless enough to have to deal with survivors, as we were taught that way, so I was surprised that we have to deal with the aftermath now. 

We arrived at the hill by high noon, as the sun was burning against our skins. Vesper was already there, waiting for us, looking quite annoyed.
“What took you so long?” Vesper asked us angrily.

“Big guy here won’t wake up.” Chelsea answered.

I ignored them, I just wanted to get the job done. The higher ups thought well in putting this team together. Vesper was a natural Assassin, trained in the shadows, and an expert in espionage, he has been an Assassin since he was only a little kid . Chelsea was a Wizard, a genius in the arcane, that can make things out of thin air and destroy enemies with large offensive spells, the higher ups of the group call her “once in a hundred years”. And I was the exact opposite of both of them, I have no talent for the arcane, I can only cast low-level utility spells, so I picked up an ax, but unlike Vesper, I do not move in the shadows, It was usually me that is at the frontline and runs into the enemies, I was a Warrior.

Apparently, while he was waiting for Chelsea and I, Vesper came up with a plan. He was to kill the cult leader silently as we attract the weaker members of the cult. It was not a very elaborate plan that takes that long to come up with in such a long time, but he seemed very proud of it, and it's not like it is bad plan, so I was fine with it, Chelsea however, was slightly annoyed that it was not intelligent enough for her, but she agreed nonetheless. So, first part of the plan, Chelsea was going to fire a harmless magic called Distant Light, a spell that causes a flying beam of bright light into the air,  to attract them to where we want them. While they are all looking at the light, Vesper will then go to the cult leader's tent to kill him, as we kill the others outside of it. After making sure everyone understands this plan, I clenched my mother's yew wood necklace as I prepared for battle.

4