The Beginning – Death Wraiths
60 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I trembled before the Silverback-Wolf. As they say, I saw my entire life flash in front of my eyes. I don't want to go out like this, I need to do something.

While the Silverback-Wolf walked slowly towards me, my survival instincts kicked in. I saw the pitchfork by the door and tried to reach for it. The wolf got startled and posed as if it was about to pounce. I was able to get the pitchfork and aimed it in the direction of the wolf.

I was ready to fight for my life when I suddenly felt chills down my spine, electrifying my entire body. It was as if I saw a terrifying ghost. I couldn’t move a muscle in my body.

I was ready to give up when I noticed that the wolf was not moving. I looked at its eyes and saw the same fear I was experiencing.

"Holy cow…” I think this freaky sensation just saved my butt.

After being frozen from fear(I think?), the wolf and I were able to move. The wolf backed down; it bit the thing it was dragging and ran to the bushes, it disappeared into the darkness.

I was scared to death. I was surprised that I acted out of character.

"Note to self, never be a curious cat and never peek when you hear strange sounds." I reminded myself.

I took a deep breath and checked on Howl. I opened the door and he was chewing on his reins. The damn horse stopped moving and just stared at me when he felt my presence.

"You're already caught in the act, don't play dumb." I told him.

Seriously, it made me laugh and it somehow helped relieve some of the stress I experienced. I took the reins and guided him to his special pen; it had high walls and had a door similar to a tavern, with locks of course.

"Try and get out of there, dumb horse."

Howl neighed loudly. It was as if he was trying to tell me to get off his back or he was cursing. Though, I think it was the latter part.

"See you in the morning, boy. Don't do anything smart while we’re sleeping."

I walked away from him (he's still staring at me) and closed the door behind me. The Howl incident relaxed me even after a life threatening situation. Then I remembered an event that happened to me when I was a kid.

I was playing near the stream with Howl and fell. I was so sure that I was gonna die that time too when my father heard my screams. I was about to let the stream take me. I remembered how my dad shouted "Just stand up you idiot!". I know, but hey, can you blame me? I was a kid.

I remembered the embarrassment when I stood up and realized that the water was only chest deep. It was just a stream.

I chuckled and thought; how an idiot I was. Yeah, those were my carefree days, and they never failed to put a smile on my face. I made sure the stable door was secured; after all that, I went straight to the barn where my father was.

I entered the barn and saw a man in his early 50s. He was sitting on a wooden chair; his hair and beard were mostly gray but his well-defined body was undeniable. I guess farming really helps you get to that dream bod everyone wants.

Upon noticing that I entered, he looked at me and said, "You surely took your time, boy. I heard Howl. What happened?"

"That damn horse was chewing his reins again. I think he just cursed his brains out after I yelled at him." I answered. The picture of Howl chewing on his reins flashed through my mind again and I couldn’t help but chuckle.

My father’s small smile turned into a burst of laughter. He almost fell out of the chair. "He really is a unique horse.” After composing himself, he asked, “Did you put him in the pen?"

I nodded and walked towards a cabinet full of tools. I took a wooden chair, a couple of sacks and some small rope.

"I'll start packing the corn. The ones on our field are the last harvest for this season, right?"

I asked him and pulled the cart that contained the corns. I noticed that the cart was not that heavy. I looked inside the cart and notice that our harvest was this year not even half last year. I looked at my father, worried. He smiled at me and shook his head.

"Is something wrong, father? I know this is one of the last batches of corn but isn't this too few?

"Something is happening, son. I don't think we're prepared for it."

He looked worried. To assure him, I gave him a smile before starting to pack the corn. "Well whatever it is, I know we'll get by, right?"

He smiled at me and nodded. I was not sure what but something was bothering him that time. I had no proof but I was sure something was up.

We were packing the produce when we both heard a scratching sound behind the barn. I looked at my father, worried.

"Is that thing back?" I said and reached out for the machete.

"What thing?" he asked.

"Oh, I saw a Silverback wolf earlier."

"...."

My father was looking at me with a "what the fuck” face. He took the hoe and aimed it at the door. His expression changed from "Wtf” face to "I'll kick your ass later” face.

"Well I didn't want to make it a big deal so I kinda kept it from you.” I shrugged my shoulders. “I'm sorry?" I smiled at him and scratched my head.

He sighed deeply. "Yeah, you're right, it was just a Silverback. So yeah, no biggie, idiot!"

At that point, I was not sure if I was afraid because of the scratching or my dad. I was sure that I was gonna get a good scolding later. We stood there, waiting for either the scratching stops or the wolf burst out of the door. We were ready to fight to the death.

After a minute, the scratching stopped and we heard footsteps walking away from the door.

"I think it's gone."

Then a Silverback-Wolf suddenly burst in.

"Shit shit shit!" I screamed.

As weird as it was, the Silverback-Wolf ran past us and hid behind the stacked sacks. It looked very afraid, it looked weak, as if it was dying, but there were no visible wounds.

The image of the scared wolf made my heart be at ease easily, though I screamed my brains out earlier. "Now that's weird." I said confused. I lowered my machete and looked at my father who was looking at the wolf but his face was still worried. "Maybe he's just cold?" I asked.

Then a sudden blast of cold air entered the barn. I got the same sensation as earlier. I felt the spine chilling shit and couldn’t move a single muscle. I looked at my father and he seemed fine but I saw fear in his eyes.

"Son, I need you to run." he said.

"I can't move, Father. I can't mo--"

"RUUUUUUUNNNNN!!!!” He shouted with all his might and threw a whole corn at my face. It hit my eye and was painful as hell.

"Wait, I can move."

Then I noticed the lamp behind him: the fire was slowly dying. So were the lights on the other lamps. The room gradually became lit to dim then eventually, only a few beams of moonlight lit the room.

"What the hell…is...that?"

A dark hooded figure came inside. It was floating and it felt like death incarnate. It was holding a Greatsword. It was almost as tall as me and one and a half wide as my body.

"Who would've thought you'll play this hand, Belfrost."

My father looked as if he had accepted death and he looked scared. I have never seen my father like that. He usually laughs at scary and dangerous things, but not this.

"Father…"

He smiled at me; it looked like a smile that say goodbye and it felt like he's saying some other things. Then he turned his gaze at the thing and it, in turn, looked at him.

"Son, this is a Death Wraith, one of the elite demons of the Devil King." he said.

The Death Wraith turned its head, as if it's checking the room out. I mean, what the hell. Why is this thing here? What does it want? I was incredibly scared, I think a little pee went out of me.

"Get out of here, son. I'll lure this thing out."

My father then charged at the thing, hit it with the hoe and slid under the thing. He sure got its attention. It followed my father at the back of the barn.

"What do I do? I need to help father..."

0