Randgris Helevisa and the Reality of Life
46 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I looked at the surprised face of Jaimie. Her usual cool and collected demeanor was gone. Based on her face, she was somewhere in between confused and amazed.

“Actually that woman is believed to be one of the Three Legendary Seraphs and the only Eternium in existence.”

What? Legendary Seraphs? Like the one in children's stories?

[The Legend of Creation]

[told by Jaimie]

As told by “The Legend of Creation”, when the holy goddess Clementine created the world and all of its inhabitants, she also created the guardians of the world. They are called Seraphs, these majestic angel-like beings were tasked to bless all creatures, guide them if they are straying from their path and protect them if they are to harm themselves. Seraphs were beings of magnanimity, love and selflessness. However, the Dark God, being cunning and malicious, corrupted some Seraphs with darkness and were called Demon Lords, also referred to as Fallen Seraphs, they were beings driven by greed, envy and hatred. They were the exact opposite from when they were Seraphs. Both the Seraphs and Demon Lords were classified in “The Legend” as Demi-gods.

They said that Demon Lords often showed on the doorsteps of people in desperate situations or extreme predicament. They offer assistance in exchange for your soul and spiritual power. If the offer was accepted, the Demon Lords will use their power and pull you out of that situation but in exchange, your soul will be pulled out of the physical body and your spiritual power will be devoured. The physical body without souls (also called “Shells”)  were used by Demon Lords as vessels for their familiars while the soul served the Demon Lords’ every whim for all eternity. 

When the Seraphs caught wind of what the Demon Lords were doing, they, as beings tasked with protecting all creation, waged war with them that lasted for aeons. The war wreaked havoc to the world and both sides suffered extreme loss. This cornered the Demon Lords and with no other option, they decided to perform a Polymorphia. Polymorphia was a forbidden ceremony that fused the souls and shells of the participants to create a more powerful being. This ceremony gave birth to the Cursed Devil King, the Deorum Caedibus or Assassin of Gods in the dead language. No one was sure of it’s true name but many Seraphs fell because of this superior entity.

The Seraphs fought with everything they had but most of their battle maidens fell. They were like flies compared to the might of the Deorum Caedibus. The light of hope dwindled, then the three General Class Seraphs sacrificed their very existence to defeat the Cursed Devil. These were Artemia Pius, Celestia Castus and Randgris Sanctus. Two of the maidens were believed to have sacrificed their physical and spiritual existence to create a divine barrier, called Divina Custodia, which will be used to seal Deorum Caedibus while Randgris fought the Devil to weaken it. She used her Divine Retribution skill, Hail of the Seraphs, to the Devil King which separated its spiritual energy from its shell. This greatly weakened the Devil King who was imprisoned by Randgris using Divine Seal, Divina Custodia from her comrades. However, ultimate power like Hail of the Seraphs does not come free. In exchange for the Divine Retribution Skill, she lost all her Seraph traits and was transformed into an Eternium -- a being that never age or die. 

The Legend also said that she lived like a human and had children. Of course, the children she had were all mortals. She never had any Eternium child, well at least that was what the legends cited. Randgris’ existence was a life of loneliness and suffering -- it was said that she shouldered the sins for both sides and was doomed to live for all eternity.

[Going back to the real world]

“I don’t think that could be true -- I mean, that was a legend, right?”

“I am not forcing you to believe me, but I think it would be best for the both of you to talk face to face.”

I accompanied Jaimie to the Church of Clementine Doctrines - the church is a small sector of religion in this continent. Majority of Clementia inhabitants are members of the Holy Church Dominion(the most powerful religion in the continent), compared to them, the Clementine Doctrines was like a dot on a piece of paper, they don't pay much attention to them. Their Chapel was quite simple -- it was a moderately sized building, maybe with a capacity of a around a hundred people, with four spires on each corner and each was engrave a dove carrying a leaf(the symbol of the Church). The windows were stained glass that somewhat depict a legendary battle between Demon Lords and the Seraphs - it was like the stained glass were telling their tales of valor and sacrifice. It was a magnificent building -- in front of it was a fountain. It was said that when you make a wish and throw coins in it, the Goddess Clementine will grant your wish. The area past the fountain was bustling with people; there are beast-folk, half-elves, dwarves and humans. Some showcase their products, some their talents, while some just look around the area. 

“This sure is a lively place.”

“Hmm hmm… there are different races that has different products; violence is not encouraged but it can’t be helped sometimes. Especially when humans are being rude to other races.”

Majority of humans in Entoria dislike the beast-folk, before the treaty signed by Queen Ansare and King Entoria, the beast-folk(Ansarians) and Humans(Entorians) were always out trying to kill each other. After the treaty, both kingdoms decreed that their citizens can and should be welcomed to both countries. Beast-folk are considered as Demi-Humans, they have twice the strength of humans and has animal like features. They are proud warriors of the Ansare Queendom. Unlike humans, it was rare for them to have magic affinity; most of the magically inclined are either nobility or royalty and these Ansarians are revered. On the rare instance that a commoner got this kind of gift, they were automatically absorbed into one of the royalty’s mage corps. Queen Ansare set up this system without discrimination and even the commoners without magical capabilities are treated well by both the nobility and low-end side of royalty. The country, basically, scorned the idea of discrimination and segregation.

Half-Elves on the other hand, are the biggest victim of racism in Entoria. They are being considered as failed experiments and often blamed for any misfortune or inconvenient event. Half-Elves created a settlement near the forest of Ancante. Their small villages mostly depend on crops and weaving silk to survive. Their biggest problem in their small settlement are monsters; being outside the city walls, soldier often ignored their plea for help. Elders of the village sent out multiple pleas for help to the royal palace but they are often taken for granted since the human council scorned these half-breeds.

“Randgris Helevisa is always inside this Chapel. She rarely talk to other people and doesn’t really give a damn about the world. She often gets aggressive when people outside the Knight's Order try to get an audience.”

“I understand but I need to talk to her even if she rips me apart. Kindly tell her that the son of Gerard Grand is here to see her.”

Jaimie nodded and we entered the chapel. She pointed at a single chair beside a cabinet full of beautiful artifacts and told me to sit down and wait. At the end of the center isle, there was a beautiful gray-haired woman. She looked as young as Jaimie but her aura surely felt as if she was a very mature and independent woman. She was covered in white cloak with the crest that looked like the pendant my father gave me -- it was Triquetta that had a dragon’s head in the middle of it, beside her was a Claymore looking weapon; it looked like the one I am carrying but her scabbard and sword was pitch black. Jaimie approached the woman and whispered to her ear -- she quickly looked at Jaimie who was surprised by her reaction. The woman nodded and looked at my direction, Jaimie bowed to her and walked towards my direction. She approached and I saw her face filled with surprise.

“She said she was expecting you. She wants you to approach her.”

“Understood.”

I nodded at Jaimie and she nodded back. Then she turned around and was headed towards the door.

“Wait, where are you going?”

“My job here is done. She said that she needs to talk to you in private.”

She then opened the door and walked away. I turned towards the woman, presumably Randgris, and took a big gulp. She stood up at the center of the isle and she was staring in my direction. “Here goes nothing” I said to myself and I walked towards her. I felt her elegant aura even if she just stood there. As I got closer I noticed the opening of her cloak; she was wearing a full plate legion armor -- the major color was black but there were golden linings and her bust was… woah… I felt my face burn up as I got closer because they got bigger. I mean, Jaimie’s was fine and all but this...  if I would give this a rating -- hers were definitely in the A to S ratings. I continued walking towards her and eventually reached her and stopped a couple of feet away. I noticed that her eyes had different colors(heterochromia); her left eye was blue as the skies and the other was red like flame.

“Hello! Uh.. I am..”

“Axel Grand… You... you looked like your father…”

She stared at me as I fidget, I didn’t know what to do. I was very uncomfortable looking at her eyes and I was somewhat scared of her. I crossed my arms and looked at the stained windows instead. 

“Well uh… My father…”

“Gave you a necklace and told you to meet me….”

“Yeah and I also brought the sword and the shield I got from a box --”

“Along with a letter and a bunch of money, I know. So, how did your father die?”

“Death Wraiths, an army of them attacked our farm and he defeated all of them.”

“So that’s why he activated his divine skill… I felt it as he burned his spiritual pathways.”

“He said he didn’t have any choice,  was struck by a blade of a Death Wraith and his very spiritual vitality was damaged.”

“Idiot… he could had a priest purify that death curse.” Her face showed disappointment and she placed two of her fingers to her forehead.  I fell on my knees, I felt as if my heart was squeezed and my body weakened. I felt my tears building up on the side of my eyes. “Wha -- ? What are you saying? Then why didn’t he run? Why didn't he.. ”

She looked at me with a very cold stare and took her sword which leaned on the chair she sat earlier and inserted the scabbard in a hole in her utility belt. She put her hand on my shoulder closed her eyes for a couple of seconds and said in a calm and cold manner:

“Because he’s an idiot,  that’s why. He knew countermeasures to every demonic monster there is. He threw his life just to prove a point and he very well knew that he didn’t have to use his Seraph’s Reckoning because he had that sword, but he did anyway.

What’s her deal? She insulted the memory of my father! She made me very, very angry -- I wanted to punch her so bad. I stood up and I felt as if all my anger was being channeled to my strength. “What is your point? Stop insulting my father’s memory, you bitch!”

I saw Randgris scoffed and sarcastically replied: “Is it an insult to tell the truth? Please...”

I snapped and threw my fist at Randgris. She dodged me easily and grabbed me on my neck, lifted me for a second and threw me back.

“You have the same shitty attitude like your father.”

She smiled at me then pushed me on the ground. I stood up and dusted my shirt and pants. I immediately realized the gap between our strengths. So I tried to control my and and her dead straight in her eyes.

“So… Why did my father asked me to come to you, bitch?”

“You’ll see… Come back here by tomorrow. Rest well, you’ll need it. Oh and one suggestion, never follow your father’s footprints. Think before you act and don’t be an idiot.”

She turned her back and walked behind the altar where she disappeared. She was really condescending, I understand she was an important person here but were the insults needed? I felt as if my father made a grave mistake sending me to this person but it seemed that she knew a ton of things that I didn’t. I knew that I needed to swallow my pride and do everything she asked for until I get the information I need. I picked the sword and the shield up and walked towards the chapel door and shouted.

“I fucking hate this place!”

I walked towards the inn and asked for the cheapest room -- it was 1 silver coin per day.I entered the room and was surprised. There was only 1 window which was held by a piece of wood so it could remain open, the bedding had a bunch of patches in it and under the bed was hay that looked like mud due to its blackness. The room was poorly lit and there were holes in the wall by the window.

“Howl’s stable is better looking that this shit! This is a fucking scam! This is not worth even 50 copper coins, in what world does this room cost 1 silver coin?!”

What can I do? I had a bunch of money but I knew that I don’t have a stable income so I need to control my spending. I still felt the anger that Randrigs caused earlier. I knew that I needed to calm my mind so I decided to take a walk in the city. The sun looked like it was on fire as I stroll down the main street, stores started to light up and prepare for the arrival of more customers. I decided to go to the tavern for a quick drink. “I hope the beer they serve are good.” 

After I entered the tavern, I saw a familiar face -- her hair was flaming red and so are her eyes -- it was Jaimie.  I was surprised when I saw her on casual clothing. I thought her body was more defined but looking at her, she looked like a frail girl. She was sitting on a table with two young-looking holy knights, they were sitting on a differently styled table, theirs was looking a bit more flashy and more comfortable than the normal ones. Discrimination really was rampant on this city. Well, our town does not really have any demi-humans but I don’t think that anyone from our village will treat them like this.

“Hey there, Jaimie!” 

I greeted her while walking towards her. “Hey, what’s up?” she replied in a monotonous voice. I immediately felt stares around me. It seems that other people, especially commoners like me, are not really approaching Holy Abecedarian Knights. I heard faint whispers from the people around me.

“He had guts, that kid!”

“The difference of their social status is like heaven and earth, yet he approach her so casually.”

“Who does he think he is? Ha! Dumb kid”

I cringed and remembered that Holy Knights and commoners could never be friends. The social status difference is just too much. I stepped back and I thought I should just head straight to the bar -- then one of her companions stood up as I walked away.

“That’s right, know your damn place, you piece of shit!”

Everyone in the bar laughed at me. I felt so angry because of the cockiness of this idiot, I wanted to walk back and beat the crap out of him(even if I knew he would kill me with one punch) but I know that I will definitely be sent to prison for attacking him and “insulting” him. I stopped and looked at the cocky bastard, but Jaimie stood up and walked towards me. She stood between me and the asshole of a Holy Knight and she whispered: “I apologize for their behavior. It is inappropriate for a “Holy Knight” to act like that.” I knew that she’s nice and was concerned on how I felt after being insulted for saying “Hi”. “It’s okay. You don’t have to apologize for anything.” I replied. I felt happy after what she did -- she knew that social statuses are a bunch of bullshit; and excuse to promote slavery, discrimination and racism. I really think highly of her.

I decided to sit on a chair near the bar and order a mug of beer. I just observed the difference between the behaviors of people here versus the one from my village -- people in the capital are all assholes, I concluded. They make fun of other people and hurt them for no specific reason, some idiot adventurers take money from other people so they can drink or pay their debts.

“What a bunch of savages. Disgusting.”

After drinking my beer, I decided to head back to the disgusting hotel room to rest. I need to go to the Chapel early and I need all the energy I can muster for whatever Randgris has for me tomorrow.

0