Chapter 19
68 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dale (POV)

A massive transport drone landed near the Dome built by Rebecca’s Ant Golems. The sun had set, but the land was illuminated by the light pouring out of the massive structure. The surrounding landscape is dotted with wind turbines supplying electricity to the dome.

Dale stepped out of the Transport Drone along with Markus and nine other Tamers who volunteered to join him in rescuing civilians. Fifty of those saved this day followed behind. Their eyes were wide at the size of the Dome and could rival the Eiffel tower in height. Dale noticed their shock when they spotted the Ants Golems. Fortunately, he had warned them on the flight about these Bugs, and a misunderstanding was avoided. Though it didn’t seem to lower their guard against those who ruined their lives.

The Warrior Golem Ants greeted Dale and escorted his group into the dome while the Worker Golem Ants built a hanger out of the Earth to store the aircraft. Dale and the rest had struggled to find one of this size and power. He couldn’t afford to let it get damaged by an Ice-Bug attack or the weather. A large muscular man with a little girl riding on his shoulders greeted Dale’s group at the entrance of the Dome guarded by a legion of Warrior Caste Ant Golems. The big guy has a dirty blonde with blue eyes, and the little girl is a redhead with violet eyes. They weren’t related, but you could see they treated each other like family.

Dale. “How’s the day been for you, Gregor?”

Gregor. “I reinforced all the clay buildings in the Dome with the sturdiest wood I could make. Plus, a bit of carpentry for the essential furniture.”

Dale. “The Neo Atlas drones could have made those.”

Gregor. “I needed the practice, and Sheona was bored from doing nothing since we got here.”

Sheona. “I helped out with the designs!”

Dale. “That’s great! So, you two must be pretty tired. What brings you out here?”

Sheona. “Your Chinese friend from the Federation is looking for you.”

Dale. “Zao is here? He is supposed to be at Seward signing the military alliance with the Union.”

Gregor. “He is with Mash and Rebecca inside the Bunker.”

Dale. “Wonder why he didn’t message me through the App.”

Gregor. “Must be something important to do it in person.”

Dale. “Must be… can you help Markus to get the new arrivals settled in?”

Sheona. “We would love to!”

Gregor. “What she said.”

Dale. “Thanks!”

Dale then jogged his way through the stone-paved streets of the new town. The residents greeted him as he passed by. Most of them owed their lives or knew him by the nickname ‘Black Phoenix’ now associated with the Tamer with the miraculous healing ability. A good chunk of the population inside the dome are non-Tamers who had no interest in becoming tamers or the war against the monsters. Survival was all they cared about, and security was their greatest need. So far, the Tamers who coexisted with these people did not have a problem with their decision. It's only been a week since the pink pillars fell, and the death toll was staggering. North America was Ice-Bug territory, but the region of Alaska and the Northern Territories of Canada was being defended by the remnants of the Union armed ground forces. Though it is a shadow of the well-trained and equipped as it used to be.

The troops who remained in the USA were hiding inside underground cities like the one in Seward. Those who did not have one were being hunted by the Ice-Bug swarms. None of them could spare time for civilian rescue operations as their own survival was their utmost priority. This is why Dale took it upon himself to save those civilians with Tamers who felt the same way. Though only several hundred were saved so far, it gave hope to those who needed it. Rebecca had a long list of survivor locations that needed an evac along with the threat level they faced. She would read through the list at night and figure out which ones Dale’s group would focus on the next day. Union soldiers, who Dale had rescued so far, went to Seward instead of the Dome.

Some of the refugees in the Dome complained that those Soldiers must be ungrateful to Dale for saving them, but he didn’t mind it. Dale didn’t rescue the soldiers to create an army that was loyal to him. He wanted to use his abilities to save lives regardless of what he would get in return.  News about Admiral Arthur Radford coming to Seward with his fleet was why the Union soldiers wanted to go there. They wished to serve under him because he held the highest rank and authority. Meanwhile, Dale is a civilian with extraordinary powers, but that's it. He was not a Commander like Zao or the Admiral. Though this didn’t stop Soma from sharing the deeds of the Black Phoenix across the Monster App messaging system so that everyone could see what a true hero looked like. Dale had earned respect from those close to him, including Zao, Sergei, and Soma. Dale and Zao would message each other about the status of their activities. Dale with his rescue missions and Zao with the military alliance arrangement. Zao had tried his best to get the Federation Generals to come to Seward, but none were willing. Instead, they promoted Zao to Commander of the Federation armed forces since he was technically their superior by inheritance.

Even though Sergei and Soma shared a similar status with Zao within the hierarchy, neither desired the role of Commander. Nor did Zao, but if it meant getting the authority to make an alliance, then he would be a fool not to use it. It took Dale several minutes before he reached the Bunker’s entrance after passing through the passageway that connected it to the Dome. Rebecca’s Worker caste Ant Golems had smoothed it out in the center and created steps on the sides. The Humans took the side steps, and the golems moved back and forth through the center of the passage. Sometimes the Warrior Caste Ant Golems would give people a ride on their back if they were headed in the same direction since they were big enough to sit comfortably. Dale had hoped on to the back of one of these Golems to get back to the bunker. When the new blast doors opened, Dale found Zao standing with a Chinese woman with blonde hair in a Federation uniform. She stared at Dale as if he was a celebrity, she had a crush on and bowed deeply when approached. Dale felt awkward and tried to bow back the same way.

Zao. “This is my new Lieutenant Jia. She is among the first wave of Tamers sent to Seward by the Federation’s armed forces.”

Jia. “It is an honor to meet the Black Phoenix! I have watched all your rescue missions and admire your dedication to serving the people with your healing.”

Dale. “It’s nice to meet you, Jia. I didn’t know I had fans in the Federation. Surely Zao should be their main focus.”

Jia. “Commander Zao is amazing! But the miraculous power of your holy flames can restore the mind!”

Dale. “You mean, cure it from migraines or a headache?”

Jia. “No, it can cure those with Alzheimer's and a lot of other brain damage and problems.”

Dale and Zao were surprised.

Zao. “Is that true, Dale?”

Dale. “The first time I heard it.”

Jia. “The refugees who hurt their heads were cured of their memory loss and recovered control over their body.”

Dale. “Now that I think about it… there were quite a few whose skulls were cracked, and their bodies were paralyzed.”

Jia. “One of them was in a wheelchair for a year. He is now moving around your Dome without any help.”

Zao. “You can heal wounds that old?”

Dale. “I didn’t realize that I could. I just used holy flames on those who were too injured to move.”

Zao. “It certainly is miraculous, but why are you interested in it, Jia?”

Jia. “My fiancé met with an accident during D-Day. He has been in a coma ever since, and I am hoping the Holy Flames could wake him up.”

Zao. “Your healing abilities… and the weird Bride’s veil on your combat form is because of that?”

Jia. “I think the Monster App reflects what is deep inside one’s soul.”

Dale. “I am not sure if I will be able to bring him back.” 

Jia. “I hope you will be willing to try.”

Zao. “Where is he now?”

Jia. “In a medical facility in Taiwan.”

Dale. “Is his body still safe?”

Jia. “Yes! But the monster attacks on Taiwan are increasing. I am not sure how long the hospital will look after him.”

Dale. “Zao… can you find a way to transport her fiancé here?”

Zao. “I can make the arrangements.” 

Jia. “You will?”

Zao. “Most of my family was in Beijing on D-Day. The city has been declared a no-go zone because the Federation forces cannot retake the city. They might be alive inside one of the bunkers. I haven’t found any messages from them through the Monster App. But if I can help my subordinates recover their family, I will do it.”

Jia. “I don’t know how to repay you for this.”

Zao. “Serve me faithfully with your Blood arrows that boost stamina when I fight.”

Jia. “I will!”

Dale. “Is there anything else you need from me? I feel you both are needed back in Seward.”

Zao. “There is one more thing. I want you to come to Seward with me.”

Dale. “Me? Why?”

Zao. “The Admiral of the Pacific fleet requested it. He has heard about your rescue missions and wants you to join the Union armed forces.”

Dale. “I have no military training… or any interest in being a soldier.”

Zao. “You just have to be a Tamer who saves people in the name of the Union.”

Dale. “They want to look like they are saving people when they aren’t?”

Zao. “I am just the messenger. But it will help seal the deal for an alliance.”

Dale. “Does the Admiral speak on behalf of the Union forces in South America?”

Zao. “Those troops will not be joining the fight.”

Dale. “Why?”

Zao. “Their Generals say the Union is over. If the Ice-Bugs don’t come south, they won’t waste lives to retake the north.”

Dale. “So, the Pacific Fleet Admiral is the only one left in charge of the North?”

Zao. “It seems that way, for now. None of the other military heads in the US and Canada have complained. But he is short on people like you who care about civilians. That’s why he wants you to serve under him.”

Dale. “If I can continue with the rescue missions, then I don’t care who I serve under.”

Zao. “We all have to make sacrifices for the greater good.”

Dale. “Speaking of which… did the New Europa Republic armed forces consider our proposal?”

Zao. “The Republic is a mess with hardly anything left to call a military. Their Tamers are the only faction doing the job of protecting citizens and fighting the Amphibians. But they are divided, so there is no one with absolute authority to enter a treaty with.”

Dale. “What about the Oceania Confederacy?”

Zao. “Full of cowards refusing to fight since they haven’t been hit by the pillars. They refuse to accept refugees because they don’t have the land or other resources to spare.”

Dale. “Weren’t they receiving aid from us for decades?”

Zao. “If we weren’t in a war for survival right now… let’s just say they need a lesson.”

Dale. “I understand… What about the nations of ORB?”

Zao. “Only Japan and Korea have self-defense forces worth our attention. They are willing to break their neutrality and join our alliance. They also offered to bring their technological resources to Seward.”

Dale. “That’s great! But what kind of tech?”

Zao. “The Combat Mech kind.”

Dale. “Aren’t those Vector tech?”

Zao. “It seems they obtained blueprints from Vector, but they lack the resources and technical knowledge to build them in large numbers and quickly. They hope to mine Alaska for the resources to build those war machines.” 

Dale. “The technical knowledge sides?”

Zao. “I spoke to Selvaria… the Admiral from Vector. She agreed to offer her expertise as long as we help her people evacuate to Seward within a week.”

Dale. “Is she upset that I didn’t go there yet?”

Zao. “You prioritized those that were nearby and desperate for help. No one will fault you for not going to Texas sooner. The refugees in Selvaria’s stadium aren’t in immediate danger of running out of supplies. Once we get a few more transport drones, we can start planning their rescue.”

Dale. “Do you think the Pacific Fleet Admiral will agree?”

Zao. “I already stated it as one of the conditions of our alliance. I get to pick those we prioritize for rescue operations. Which will be the same as whatever you and Rebecca decide for the refugees within Union territory.”

[ALERT! EMERGENCY LOCKDOWN WILL BE INITIATED IN 5 MINUTES!]

The Bunker’s AI yelled with a siren to grab everyone’s attention. Mash and Rebecca rushed towards Dale, Zao, and Jia from a corridor that went further into the Bunker.

Mash. “We have a huge swarm of Ice-bugs headed for the Dome!”

Dale. “Ice Bugs?”

Zao. “How do you know that?”

Rebecca. “My Warrior caste Ants Golems detected their pheromones in the air. The worker caste is sealing up the dome in response.”

Suddenly Zao received a video message from Sergei on his phone and played it. Sergei’s face appeared on the nearest Holographic screen in the bunker.

Sergei. “Zao! The Pacific Fleet reached the Bay of Alaska. They are being attacked from the air and the sea by Ice-Bugs numbering in the thousands. Some are splitting away towards Seward and the Dome. If you are still at the Dome, stay there! Don’t try to fly back here or take them on your own.”

Before the message ended, Sergei shared Hologram Screens full of video messages from the Sailors of the Pacific fleet. The background behind was full of warships firing bullets, shells, missiles, sonic attacks, and lasers into the air and sea around them. The videos also highlighted the different types of Bugs that are attacking them. Giant Dragonflies, Hornets, Moths, and Beetles filled the sky. They showered the warships below with long-range Ice attacks. From the sea, Giant Isopods the same size as fighter jets is devouring the hulls of the Aircraft Carriers. Lobsters, crabs, and other sea crustaceans were climbing onto every ship and tearing apart sailors on deck.

Sergei. “Admiral Arthur Radford messaged us for reinforcements, but Soma ordered our troops to ignore that and defend Seward. Not to mention, Dale can’t support the fleet with his fireballs at night. There aren’t any Tamers who are capable of helping them. Do you have anyone in mind who can?”

The message ended with an expectation of a reply from Zao. 

Zao stared at his phone and then looked at Dale.

Zao. “Can I borrow your rescue team?”

4