Chapter 46. Pandora (1)
122 3 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In days long gone, buried by the sands of time. The world as we know it today was still in its infancy. And there were but a few humans and they lived simple lives.

During the day, they crowded along the banks of the river of life. This river flowed down from the heavens and granted them safety and food. To the humans that lived on its banks, it was the origin of all that was good.

And in the nights... well, the nights were cold. And dark. The nights weren't for humans. Instead, it was the strange creatures that scuttled and prowled in the shadows that ruled the night. They were the kings and the humans were left to cling on to life at the edges of the night, struggling to survive.

They would huddle together for warmth, desperate for any comfort that their fellow man could give them. It was only when humans were in numbers that they could find some semblance of security.

In the distant uncaring heavens above, were the gods. They paid little heed to these primitive mortals. What value could those mortals possibly have to beings as powerful as the gods?

All but one god anyway.

For there was one amongst the heavens who cared for the humans. The Titan of fire, Prometheus. He had spent aeons alone since the great war between the Olympians and the Titans. Isolated from the rest of his race by the walls of Tartarus.

Prometheus wanted to help humans to grow and thrive. He wished to one day hold them as equals. Equals that he might be able to speak to as friends and family. Then perhaps, he would no longer be alone.

That was why he began his long journey. He climbed up the side of the mountain that held up the sky. His journey took 7 days and 7 nights and when he finally reached the top, he was standing far above the clouds. 

He had reached a place that no mortal had ever entered. For this mountain was home to the Olympians and only those that served them might enter here.

Atop this mountain was a Great Hall. Built from shimmering marble and gold, this Hall was like a  holy artefact. At the entrance to the Hall were three bronze statues of great and terrifying men.

Of course, he knew who these three were. How could he forget the names of the gods that had trapped his father Atlas beneath the sky? He would never be able to forgive Zeus, Poseidon and Hades.

Prometheus didn't dare look at those statues for too long. If he were to accidentally anger the Olympians now, all his efforts would be for nothing.

...

Prometheus Now stood in front of the great tribunal. In the judges seat was a man with blond hair and yellow eyes that sparkled with electricity. His appearance was inhumanly perfect and was complemented by the golden crown that was perched atop his head. 'Zeus'

On his left, sat a robust man with blue hair, his eyes were sea green. A massive trident was leaning against his knee as he slouched in his seat languidly. This man seemed disinterested and stunk of the sea. 'Poseidon,'

On Zeus's right... was an empty seat. Whoever should have been sitting there was missing.

'Hades never did bother with things like these,' Prometheus remarked to himself. He didn't dare to say such a thing aloud.

Prometheus opened his mouth, and from it came words that flowed like silk. Weaving together to paint a great tapestry. 

He begged that the Gods would allow the humans some of the fire of Olympus so that they might no longer need to fear the night. In compensation, he brought forth the idea of an exchange. Every time the humans used this fire, they would have to offer sacrifices to the gods that provided it to them.

His tongue had always been sharp. That was how he had managed to talk him and his brother out of being sent to Tartarus... That and the box he had created, even the Olympians feared that.

He stood tall in front of the uncaring Tribunal as he wove a great tale to all of the gathered Olympians and when he was finally finished, Zeus and Poseiden were frowning.

They were trying to think of a downside to this proposal but from whichever angle they looked at it, it made perfect sense.

In the end, Zeus made his decision. He wouldn't allow it. The humans could not have fire, they were unworthy... or something like that. His reasoning was flimsy because no one could disagree with him.

Although some of the gathered Olympians looked pleased with his decision, many looked confused and a few, downright angry.

...

Prometheus's composed expression didn't change until he had left the mountain. He walked for 7 days and 7 nights with a stone-cold expression on his face. An expression that betrayed nothing of his thoughts within.

Only when he reached the bottom of the mountain did his face change. His eyes burned with fire and levelled a nearby mountain in frustration.

The reason he was so enraged was that he knew that the only reason Zeus turned down his request to grant the humans fire was out of fear.

Fear that much like Zeus had overthrown the Titans that came before him, He too would be overthrown by the humans.

For a moment, he had thoughts about opening the box... but he couldn't do that. Never. There would never be a justification strong enough to do such a thing. He often wished that he hadn't even created that monstrosity. When he was done, the only thing he could do was hide it away. If the Olympians ever got their hands on it... he didn't want to think about it.

Prometheus gritted his teeth and returned to his home in the distant grasslands. Ever since the Olympians won the war, he had been forced to live down here with the mortals. Not that he minded. It also meant that the Olympians couldn't see his experiments.

After getting rejected by the Tribunal, he spent 12 years in his home, tinkering and creating endlessly, he was determined to make a flame that was suitable for humans. Any that the gods had was far too dangerous and as the Titan of fire, there were none more suitable for the job.

When he finally emerged from his home, he brought with him a mason jar that was hugged tightly against his chest. He cradled it like a baby because he knew just how precious the contents of this jar were. Within this jar was the beginnings of civilisation.

Immediately after leaving his house, he began the long and arduous journey to the river. He was going to find the humans and give them a gift.

...

In the heavens above, Zeus smelt burning. As the god of the sky and winds, whenever something like smoke entered his domain, it was a simple matter for him to sense it.

He peered down through the clouds that covered the mortal realm and what he saw struck him dumb with rage. A group of humans were huddled around a feeble flame that flickered and threatened to go out at any second.

Occasionally, they would toss pieces of meat into the flame which would quickly burn away into nothing. Their cheeks were rosy and despite it being night, smiles adorned their hungry faces.

Zeus immediately realised what was going on, "They are making the offerings that Prometheus tried to tell us about... So it was him."

In an instant, he had turned into a bolt of lightning, streaking across the sky in a flash of blinding light. Thunder boomed as he passed through the heavens like a might war drum and in seconds he had found Prometheus.

The Titan didn't even put up a fight as Zeus dragged him away by his hair. Pulling him thousands of miles until his scalp bled and his hair was ragged and torn.

He didn't scream in pain when lighting rained down from the heavens, scorching his skin black. And even when Zeus drove great nails of heavenly iron through his hands and feet, his face remained the same.

His face remained the same, even when he was chained to a boulder atop a lonely mountain at the end of the world. In the distance, he could see his father, Atlas, Struggling beneath the weight of the Sky.

And even though every day, a crow would come to eat his liver and every night, his liver would grow back anew, waiting to be eaten again. His face didn't change, not even once.

He just smiled softly throughout it all. After all, he had succeeded.

...

When Zeus returned to Olympus, he was so angry that he began tearing down the priceless tapestries that lined the Great Hall. He Ran straight to the great library, destroying any evidence of Prometheus contained within.

It wasn't until his younger brother Poseidon intervened that he finally came to his senses.

"Calm yourself, brother!" Poseidon yelled. 

"How can I stay calm when an insect like Prometheus defies my rule like that?" roared Zeus

"You must remain calm. Right now, we need to get the box before Prometheus's brother Epimetheus finds out what you did to him. Should he open it and release the terrors hidden within unto us..."

Zeus took a deep breath and tried to clear the fog of rage that had settled on his mind. "Hmm, you are right. Only Epimetheus should know the location of the box now. But how do we get it?"

Behind Zeus, a woman appeared. Her hair was the golden colour of wheat and her eyes were a fiery red. She wore a loose toga that revealed more than a little of her flawless skin to the world. 

She opened her mouth to speak, revealing a set of teeth that could have been sculpted from the finest ivory. And when she spoke, her voice was soft and got under your skin. 

"What is it Aphrodite can't you see that I am busy?" Growled Zeus

She giggled and reached out a hand, grabbing Zeus by the chin and pulling him closer. And then, she whispered softly into his ear. 

"I want to play~"

...

Zeus returned from the mortal realm with a lump of clay. He wasn't sure why he had done what Aphrodite asked, but for some reason, he could never defy her orders. This should have scared him, or at the very least made him wary. Was it not strange for the king of the gods to do someone else's bidding? So then... why did it excite him?

He brought the clay to Aphrodite who was waiting in the Great Hall. Around her were many gods that all looked enthralled. Even the women were enraptured by her appearance, however, instead of lust, their gazes contained envy and scorn.

With a gust of wind, Zeus landed in front of Aphrodite, placing the clay gently in her demure hands. 

Before the collected gods, she began fashioning the clay into human form. Within her hands, the clay warped and shifted, transforming into a beautiful woman with black hair and purple eyes. Her beautiful eyes were blank and unseeing. 

Aphrodite brought the woman sculpted from clay to each Olympian in turn and they all offered their blessings.

Zeus - Breathed Life into the woman born from clay.

Athena - Gifted soft clothing and modesty.

Hermes - Gave her cunning and the ability to lie.

Hera - Presented her with curiosity and the desire to learn.

Apollo - Granted her the skill of Archery.

Poseidon - Gave her her Rage, spawned from the raging storms he governed.

Demeter - Offered the ability to grow.

Hestia - Taught her the meanings of companionship and familial love.

Hephaestus - Granted her great Dexterity and intelligence.

Ares - Blessed her with The courage to face her enemies.

Hades - N/A He did not make an appearance.

After the gift-giving was over Aphrodite pulled the Woman into her arms and gazed into her purple eyes. She brought her close and kissed her deeply. When she pulled away, she spoke the first words that Pandora would ever hear.

"I have given you lust, and I also give you the name Pandora. Now go and bring me what I want."

2