Chapter 42 “The Figure in the Dark”
433 5 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

According to the data provided by the Foundation, the performance of SCP-701 "The Hanged King's Tragedy" play does not always lead to riots. Whether intentionally or unintentionally, the outbursts usually occurred on opening night or at the performances with the largest planned attendance.

Once the anomaly occurs, the actors begin to deviate from the script unconsciously. Unlike "off-script" improvisation or mistakes, these deviations are orderly and consistent. The actors were performing a different version of the play, without the actors noticing any change and as if the play was meant to be.

Zhang Jue was at the edge of the stage, watching the performance. At this point, the first act of the performance was nearing its end. Charles told his personal servant about the dream he had and said that he had met King Sifford and he was the Crown Prince.

His performance was vocal and emotional, and it was clear that the student named Leo was a superb actor, and in a short time, he might become a star. Yet Zhang Jue saw something strange - the actor's voice had changed, as if another person was attached to his body, saying the same thing.

He also had his eyes looking at a figure looming on the opposite edge of the stage, and everyone but him seemed to notice that figure. Even a crew member walked past him.

Was it about to happen? Zhang Jue licked his lips. Zhang Jue walked around backstage to the edge of the stage, where the actors were waiting. After coming down from the stage, he saw that Leo had become silent and sat on a stool to the side without moving.

The other actors didn't notice his abnormality because they had to prepare for their own scenes.

Zhang Jue walked over and patted his shoulder, "Are you okay?"

Leo raised his head, "I... I'm fine. I'm just a little tired. It's okay, and I can still continue."

Zhang Jue saw that his eyes were already covered with blood, and he kept grabbing his hair as if he was fighting against something. Leo was lying. He was already mentally exhausted.

The moment he stood on the stage, he felt like his whole body didn't belong to him anymore. He couldn't control his actions at all, and his mind was blank. By the time he came back to his senses, his performance had already ended, and it was good to see that nothing had gone wrong.

Naturally, his abnormality could not be concealed from Zhang Jue's eyes, and Zhang Jue held his shoulders with force, unleashing Plague Doctor's ability - Paralyze.

"Ah!" Leo screamed out in pain, feeling his body being hollowed out.

After the pain, he felt relieved instead, as if a thousand pounds of burden had been thrown by someone else.

He looked at Zhang Jue, "You… what did you just do?"

Zhang Jue patted his head, "Young man, don't always think about those messy things. I'm a talented and elegant man with powdered makeup and proud bones. I don't have any bad intentions for you. You are free tonight, young man."

Leo was shivering. Zhang Jue chuckled and turned away to leave. Those actors already had a bad feeling about him and looked at him sinisterly. They all secretly cursed towards that psycho.

Zhang Jue was pleased with himself, but only when he reached a quiet place did the smile on his face gradually dissipate. The situation was much severe than he had imagined.

After studying his own abilities in detail over the past few days, he had discovered that using those abilities he had acquired from the SCP required a lot of energy. The more complex the ability he used, the more times he used it, or the stronger the thing he had to fight against, the more exhausted he would be.

Just now, he just tried to dispel the bad omen imposed on Leo by the Hanged King, and it was very laborious. There were more than a dozen performers on the stage, and if they were all under the influence of the Hanged King, just getting them back to normal wouldn't be enough for him to do.

If he had to restore everyone's condition to normal using this method, then he'd have to die of exhaustion. Zhang Jue narrowed his eyes and decided to use a more exciting way - how about breaking the boat and throwing in the towel?

The second and third acts were performed in turn, and the audience was enthralled. It was because of the actor's performance that went well.

"Vice President Zhang, Shijia trained his theatre club very well, hahaha!" President Bai said with a smile.

Vice President Zhang nodded, "Yes, what a performance indeed. "

Minister Qiu laughed, "I haven't seen that Advisor Zhang perform yet. I wonder what role he will play."

Probably remembering Minister Qiu's words earlier, the corners of Vice President Zhang's mouth twitched, "I hope it's not some weirdo."

Only three people were not immersed in the performance out of everyone on the stage. Two of them are Yang Xue and Lei Shan, who already knew the truth of the situation. As for the other one, it was Zhang Shijia.

"Something's not right. Their performance is completely out of the script! The scene where the minister is killed and made into a dish is too cruel, I have obviously deleted it, and it was not in the script. Why would they act it out? Did they read the original script? Did they know that my script was copied? What to do? What can I do?" Zhang Shijia was immersed in self-doubt, completely unaware that he was on the verge of collapse.

Yang Xue noticed his abnormal behavior and looked at Lei Shan. He nodded and made a gesture without a trace. At the edge of the audience, two people wearing security personnel uniforms slightly bowed and slowly walked towards Zhang Shijia.

"Probably because Shijia had direct contact with SCP-701 originally, the closer to the time of the outbreak, the more intense his mood swings become." Yang Xue gave Leshan an analysis.

She was a senior researcher, a very reliable companion. Only when Zhang Jue was around, he was always a little faster in the head than she was. Somewhat discouraged and dependent at the same time.

Lei Shan nodded, and he also noticed that not only Zhang Shijia but most of the audience was much more exuberant than before. They were still watching the play when the theatre club had just entered the stage. Then by the third act scene, they were already in a state that only watching the World Cup can bring.

The more psychologically fragile people are, the more they are affected, and already a few students are quietly crying. But no one seemed to realize it.

"Look!" Yang Xue suddenly pointed to a corner of the stage, and Lei Shan looked in the direction of her finger, only to see a figure looming in the darkness. The silhouette went from nothing to something as the two noticed it and finally disappeared.

Lei Shan squinted his eyes, "That's probably the Hanged King."

Yang Xue nodded, a little worried in her heart because Zhang Jue still hadn't appeared.

According to the plan, Zhang Jue played the dead Hanged King, appearing as a ghost in the middle of the crowd's performance. But the first four acts of the play had ended, and the plot was nearing its climax. Yang Xue wondered when exactly he would appear.

The curtain opened on the fifth and final act as she was thinking. The first character to appear was Zhang Jue as the Hanged King! He had finally appeared!

Yang Xue slightly clenched her fist, couldn't help but be a little nervous. Lei Shan smiled. Advisor Zhang does not see the looming figure. He went to the stage, which means a good show was about to be performed.

The time has come to see the figure at the end of the story.

Read up to 40 chapters ahead on my patreon!
https://www.patreon.com/nahyesq

18