Chapter 7
367 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When Li FangMing returned home, he noticed the air around his home seems changed. His father was waiting for him by the gate with a big smile. “Ming-er, welcome home! I’m glad that you’re alright. You don’t know how worried I was when you passed out,” as soon as he stepped down from the carriage, Li FangMing found himself within his father’s embrace. They stayed in position before the older of the two pulled away to look at the smaller one.

Ever since Li FangMing could remember, this is the first time his father held him like this. Before, the older man wouldn’t even touch him. Even the punishments for this son of his were left to others since he would rather not see Li FangMing at all.

“Have you eaten? The servants are preparing lunch. I have told the head chef to make your favorite,” Li FangMing’s father continued, snapping Li FangMing out of his thought. “Elder MoFan, please bring Li FangMing over to the dining hall to wait for lunch. I will speak with General Wu for a while,” he said as he pushed Li FangMing gently towards Li MoFan.

Li MoFan is an old man. In fact, he is the brother of Li FangMing’s grandfather. He is also the one who is responsible to keep Li FangMing from causing trouble for the Li family. “Come and follow me, FangMing,” Li MoFan turned around and started to walk, not really caring whether Li FangMing followed or not. After all, Li MoFan knew that Li FangMing will always listen to his father just for that small recognition that he exists within the family.

Before following Li MoFan, he turned to General Wu and gave him a deep bow as a gesture of thanks. Then he lifted his short legs to follow LiMoFan, leaving only his father and General Wu’s escort.

“Li FangMing is a good child. Li SunXun, you have a good seed,” it was General Wu who speaks up first once Li FangMing was out of earshot. “His Highness, the Crown Prince is very fond of him. It is for the Li family’s good interest to take care of that child,” General Wu was smiling as he said this, but one could still hear the threat within those words.

“Of course! This loyal subject understand,” the Li patriarch, Li SunXun could only smile as he cupped his hand and bowed slightly towards General Wu even in the face of the threat.

“En. I have also came with orders from His Majesty,” when he said this, General Wu gestured to one of his men with one hand. A guard came forward with a tray on both hands. On the tray lays several scrolls. “Due to Li FangMing’s selflessness in saving His Highness the Crown Prince, the Li family will receive the Emperor’s favor. Li Patriarch, Li SunXun, you are now conferred the title YinJing Hou. QingXiang city in HangJiang will be put under the jurisdiction of the newly appointed YinJing Hou to be managed. HouYe may send his trusted family member over to QingXiang city and they are expected to report within half a month,” General Wu finished relaying the Emperor’s word and handed two scrolls towards Li SunXun.

“This is the Imperial Edict from His Majesty for HouYe and the person who will be placed in charge in QingXiang city. As for this last one,” he took the third scroll and looked straight at Li SunXun. “This is for Li FangMing. His Majesty, the Emperor had heard how close the Crown Prince was with HouYe’s seventh son. Therefore, His Majesty has decided to let Li FangMing be the Crown Prince’s companion. HouYe should know what this mean, right?”

Li SunXun, who was just happy that he had been given titles and land was shocked silly. Since Li FangMing was allowed to accompany the Crown Prince that means his son is free to enter and exit the Imperial Palace’s inner court. At first, he only thought that it was because Li FangMing had saved the Crown Prince’s life that the Crown Prince is fond of him. Now, he found out that it was because the two had become close these past few days.

“I understand. Please rest assured. No one within Li family will make things difficult for Li FangMing,” Li SunXun finally replied. With this one last edict, the Li family can no longer control Li FangMing. The young boy is free to do as he wished and no one in the family has any authority to reprimand him as long as Li FangMing has both the Emperor and the Crown Prince’s favor.

“Good. I have one more last thing to say. This is more of a ‘request’ from His Highness the Crown Prince. Since the Crown Prince had taken Li FangMing as his person, the Li family must treat him well. Whenever YinJing HouYe is to attend the court meeting, he must bring Li FangMing along so the boy can accompany His Highness. That is all. This general will now excuse himself,” after saying all that he have to say, General Wu finally led his men away and return to the Imperial Palace to report to the Emperor.

Once the figures of General Wu and his men disappeared from his view, only then did Li SunXun let out a sigh of relief. “They say the most important thing must be mentioned three times and General Wu did exactly that. I wouldn’t have thought this unfavored son of mine would actually receive heaven’s blessing the first time I brought him out. Now even if I am reluctant, I have to treat him well even within the walls of my own home.”

After lamenting for a while, Li SunXun finally went into the house and straight to the dining hall. He saw that most of the important member of the family is already waiting for him, and the food was already served. He took his seat and looked at everyone, who is waiting for him to finally announce they can eat.

“Since everyone is here, I believe now is the right time to announce this,” Li SunXun speaks up. “From now on, no one is allowed to cause any difficulty towards Ming-er. Ming-er has received the favor of the Emperor and the Crown Prince. If anything were to happen to him, it would be the same as slapping the Son of Heaven and our family will be ruined. Do keep that in mind,” Li SunXun finished his words and swept his gaze along each and every one of the member within the hall.

As soon as this was said, all eyes landed on Li FangMing who became even more timid. The stares were making him uncomfortable and he just bit his lips in an attempt to keep himself calm. Some of the elders were looking at him with a profound expression, probably wanting to curry favor with him. But the younger generations, especially the first son of Li SunXun were extremely unhappy. Yet, there was nothing he could do about it. After that, they finally have their meal and once it was over, Li FangMing was led to his new room within the household.

This new room is larger in comparison to his old room, and it is located in the main house. All of his belongings had already been transferred into this new room but the furniture were all new. “Uncle Ren, is this really my room now?” Li FangMing asked.

“Yes, it is. Now that Ming-er has received the Emperor’s favor, naturally the family must give Ming-er the best treatment. After all, people say that when one is enlightened, even his chickens and dogs will ascend to heaven. Because of you, our family will now rise to its prominence. Your uncle will take his leave now. Ming-er can just relax. If you want to go out, just tell the servant outside and they will be your escort.”

After being left alone, Li FangMing once again took the scene in his room. Near the window is a large bed. To the side, there are small table and chairs and behind it is a shelf full of books and scrolls. It was clear that this room was for adult before it was given to him. Even the decorations in the room were not suited for a child like him. Li FangMing is not complaining though. ‘When I go see His Highness, I must tell him all about this!’ he thought excitedly as he went to the bed and lay down. ‘So soft, ah! But it’s not as soft as His Highness’s divan…’

While Li FangMing was enjoying his new treatment back at home, the situation within the Imperial Palace was tense. The investigation on Qin YiJun’s attempted kidnapping is finally finished and everything had come to light. The Emperor was still in his studies when he received the detailed report. When Qin WuZhen read the report, his expression was so dark that the eunuch accompanying him had almost wet himself.

“Call Concubine Xing and the first prince over!” Qin WuZhen roared out in anger. The hand clutching the paper that contains the report was shaking. “To actually want to harm the Crown Prince… Very good! It seems that Zhen has been very lenient this past few years that even Zhen’s own concubine and son thought they could walk all over Zhen’s face!”

“Begging His Majesty to calm down! His Majesty must not let anger control him!” the eunuch knelt down on the floor as he tried to calm the Emperor.

“Did Zhen not tell you to call Concubine Xing and the first prince over? What are you waiting for?” Qin WuZhen narrowed his eyes at the eunuch who is now trembling in fear. “Or does the beloved servant want to tell Zhen what to do now?”

“This servant would not dare!! This servant have received his order and will now go find Concubine Xing and the first prince!” after saying this, the poor eunuch stood up and rushed out. The eunuch ran all the way to the palace where Concubine Xing resided, his face pale as a ghost.

5