Chapter 13
313 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Time passed quickly and before long, winter has arrived. The trees had shed its leaves and most animals went into hiding. Li FangMing, dressed in thick clothes was walking through his courtyard. It has been a good five months since he lived in the palace and he still feels like everything was a dream. He approached the pavilion in the courtyard and as he got nearer, he noticed a small bird lying on the snow nearby.

The bird isn’t moving and Li FangMing thought that it might’ve died from the cold. Feeling pity, he went closer and picked the bird up with the intention to bury it. Unexpectedly, the moment Li FangMing picked the bird up, it moved slightly. Li FangMing was squatting on the ground as he stared at the bird. He noticed the bird is having trouble moving its wing.

“Did you break your wing? It must’ve hurt… don’t move too much…” Li FangMing’s voice was gentle as he tried to coax the bird to stop moving so that it won’t make its injury worse. It is unknown whether it was due to Li FangMing’s gentleness or it was because the bird understood him but the bird did stop its movement and turned docile.

“FangMing!” a familiar voice sounded from behind and Li FangMing turned around to see Qin YiJun approaching him.

“Yi--… Your Highness!” Li FangMing was about to call out Qin YiJun’s name when he saw the eunuch behind the crown prince so he quickly corrected himself. He stood up and bowed to the crown prince, his hand still holding the bird.

Qin YiJun looked at the bird on Li FangMing’s hand and his eyes were suddenly filled with curiosity. “What is that? A Bird? Did you catch it?”

When he heard Qin YiJun’s question, Li FangMing quickly shook his head. “No. I found it lying down on the ground, motionless. At first, I thought it was already dead and wanted to bury it but when I picked it up, it moved!” Li FangMing explained to the crown prince. “But it seems that it broke its wing… See? It cannot move its left wing.”

Li FangMing held the bird higher so Qin YiJun can see the bird with ease. “En. The wing does seems broken. Pao, get the bird and have it treated. This Prince already found FangMing so we will go to the training hall now. No need to follow us,” Qin YiJun ordered the servant.

Although the servant was reluctant, he still has to obey. He gently took the bird from Li FangMing and as soon as he did, Qin YiJun took Li FangMing’s hand and pulled him along as they ran, leaving the poor eunuch alone with the bird. The eunuch can only watch helplessly as the two figures disappeared from the courtyard.

Letting out a sigh, he looked down at the bird that is on top of his palm. “I will just hand you over to Old Pan…” he mumbled in a soft voice as he started to walk away.

Meanwhile, the two children were still running through the inner court. Wherever they go, the servants and guards would give them way. Li FangMing quietly followed Qin YiJun until they reached the entrance to the training hall.

“YiJun, why are you being impatient? What is in the training hall?” Li FangMing finally asked. He was feeling out of breath since they had been running all the way to the training hall.

“FangMing! We’re now six! Of course it’s time to start training!” Qin YiJun said with a huge smile on his face. “Imperial Father had asked several masters to come, and they all finally arrived today!” the excitement was clearly visible in his eyes. He then dragged Li FangMing once more and finally entered the training hall.

Inside, there were several men standing in waiting and as soon as they saw the two children, they immediately figured out their identity. They knelt down and clasped their hands together and as if they had practiced it, they all speak at the same time. “Your Highness! Wangye! We are honored to be given the chance of teaching you!”

Qin YiJun’s excitement continued to rise in his heart while Li FangMing was somewhat overwhelmed. His eyes wandered on each of the men before him. ‘These are all masters… they must be strong…’ he thought. Then, his eyes landed on one person. Unlike the others, his build is smaller and though others have sword, sabre or even an axe, Li FangMing only see a small dagger on the man’s waist. It intrigued the young Li FangMing, wondering how one would fight with only a small dagger.

“Alright, please introduce yourself and explain to this prince the style of your martial arts!” Qin YiJun said in an excited manner. One by one, these masters started to introduce themselves. In the end, Qin YiJun picked Shen Guo, master of the sword’s style. When Shen Guo was picked, the rest can’t help but feel jealous at his luck. After all, being the master of the Crown Prince, it meant that he doesn’t need to worry about earning money to live anymore. Life in Jianghu is always cruel and they wouldn’t know when they would die.

“Okay, FangMing. Why don’t you choose? Or do you want to have the same teacher as this prince so we can practice together?” Qin YiJun asked the boy whom he considered brother.

“FangMing wouldn’t dare. His Highness must have undivided attention from Master Shen Guo so Fang Ming will pick another teacher,” Li FangMing answered with a smile on his face. Earlier, when he heard a certain master introducing himself and the style he used, Li FangMing had already made his decision. Li FangMing slowly walked over to where the masters stood and they eyed Li FangMing, hoping the young boy would pick them. After all, this boy is their only chance left to escape the lawless world of Jianghu.

Li FangMing’s feet finally came to a stop in front of the man that had managed to catch his attention earlier. He looked up at the man who seemed surprised that Li FangMing would suddenly stop before him. “Master Hao Shuren, may this humble one have the honor to have Master as his teacher?” Li FangMing bowed in front of Hao Shuren to show his respect.

Everyone was shocked, while Qin YiJun was confused. Even Hao Shuren never expected to be picked. After all, compared to the rest, his style is what others would say underhanded.

Wangye, are you sure?” Hao Shuren asked. “As I have explained, my style is seen to be unpleasant by most. If you win in a fight, you only win it underhandedly. My style does not have the dignity that sword style practitioner has, nor that it has the strength that the axe user have. It doesn’t have any integrity… And…”

“FangMing understand all that and still wants Master Hao to be his teacher,” Li FangMing said before he straightened his back and looked at Hao Shuren, eyes shining with determination. “If I, Li FangMing can have the ability to protect His Highness, then even if it is using an underhanded method, I am willing! Master Hao, please forgive this child’s selfishness and accept him to be your disciple!” Li FangMing went down on his knees and kowtowed to the older male.

Li FangMing’s determination moved the heart of the masters that was present and Hao Shuren finally yielded. “Very well. Rise, disciple FangMing. From today onward, until the last of your breath, this Hao Shuren will be your master. I will impart unto you all the knowledge I have,” Hao Shuren said with a smile on his face.

Li FangMing was happy that Hao Shuren agreed to be his master but little did he know that his choice today would be the bane that is used against him in someone else’s plot.

6