Chapter 14
324 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ever since they have chosen their own martial art masters, both Qin YiJun and Li FangMing’s day became busy. They would have lessons in the morning, then practice in the afternoon. At first, the two children had trouble keeping up but after repeating such harsh schedule for months, even a weak chicken would turn strong. Occasionally, they would spar with each other whenever they are free. As for the bird that Li FangMing found before, they had decided to release it when it was healed up.

The bird left, only to return the next spring with its mate. The two birds even made a nest on the tree within YueXing Palace so Qin YiJun simply decided to keep them. Seasons continued to change and the two young boys grew up. Soon, ten years has passed and the two children had grown up to be strong young teens.

The two were currently sparring when Hao Shuren came over to pick Li FangMing up. Unlike Qin YiJun’s master, Hao Shuren would always bring Li FangMing out at night as a practical training. Qin YiJun doesn’t know what the training entails and Li FangMing didn’t tell him either. Whenever the prince asked this brother of his, Li FangMing would avoid answering it, telling him that it was a secret.

“Will you be back before dinner?” Qin YiJun asked Li FangMing who is about to leave.

Li FangMing, didn’t know the answer so he turned to Hao Shuren. Hao Shuren saw the questioning look from both teen and finally answered. “Your Highness, this lowly one is planning to bring his disciple to the forest nearby.”

“Forest? At this time?” Qin YiJun frowned before he looked up to the sky which now had a tint of orange. “It’s too dangerous. This prince doesn’t allow it.”

“Your Highness…” Hao Shuren felt helpless. Whenever he brought Li FangMing out for training, the crown prince would always object it. “This is the last step for Li FangMing’s training on this technique. Once he mastered this technique, the rest of his training will be over. There will be nothing else for me to teach.”

“Can’t it be done during the day? This Prince still remember last time that FangMing ends up with a lot of bruise and cuts on his body. Old Pan even had him rest for few days because of that…”

“Your Highness, this technique can only be practiced during night time. What use is it during the day?”

“But—“

Li FangMing decided that he should intervene now before Qin YiJun delay them even further. He tugged on Qin YiJun’s sleeves and gestured with his head that they should talk elsewhere. When Qin YiJun agreed, Li FangMing just smiled at Hao Shuren before he walked away with Qin YiJun.

“YiJun, you have to trust me. Don’t worry. I won’t let myself get injured again,” Li FangMing said with a smile, trying to assure the prince. “Once I mastered this technique, I’ll have more free time. Then I can keep you company during dinner. But if you continued to delay…”

“Alright, alright. This is the last time, right? I’ll wait for you to come back,” Qin YiJun finally relented. He pulled Li FangMing into a hug and buried his face on the other’s shoulder. “Stay safe.”

“I will. Thank you, Jun-ge~” Li FangMing replied playfully only to have Qin YiJun hug him tighter.

“You only call me that when you asked me for something or when you got what you wanted out of me. Ming-er is too playful.”

Li FangMing let out a small laughter as he hugged Qin YiJun back. After a while, they pulled away and Qin YiJun can only watch as Li FangMing left with Hao Shuren. With nothing else to do, Qin YiJun decided to end his training and went back to YueXing Palace and settled for the day.

Night came, and Li FangMing’s training began. The reason why Li FangMing never told Qin YiJun about his training was because of the nature if his training. He held the dagger in his hand tightly as he heightened his focus. At night, it was hard to see, so he needed to make use of his other sense, especially his hearing.

Usually, Hao Shuren would catch some wild animals for Li FangMing to use as practice. It began with a harmless rabbit, and Li FangMing will need to catch it in the dark. Then the animal he caught would go bigger and fiercer. Last time, Li FangMing had to kill a wolf which ends up with him getting injured. Now, since it was the last lessons, Li FangMing’s opponent is none other than his own master, Hao Shuren.

Unlike wild animals who act on instinct, Hao Shuren would conceal himself and made plan before launching an attack. Li FangMing knew this so he had made a mental preparation. ‘One chance. I’ll treat this as real life and death battle…’ Li FangMing thought as he tried to find out where Hao Shuren currently is. Li FangMing had his back against the tree so that Hao Shuren cannot strike him from behind.

Unfortunately, Hao Shuren is still the experienced one so he knew what Li FangMing is planning. He even managed to guess which tree Li FangMing would choose so he had long climbed onto it. The moment Li FangMing stood under the tree, he made his move. In his hand is a long, thin string and he had already tied one of his leg to the tree branch. He then dived down and with one swift movement; he wrapped the string around Li FangMing’s neck.

Li FangMing was also quick to react and lifted his dagger but the moment he felt the string around his neck tightened, he knew it was over.

“If this was a real situation, you would have lost your life. I would have lifted you up before you had the chance to raise your dagger and you would suffocate as I strangle you. Now, if I had a dagger, you would suffer for a shorter time,” Hao Shuren explained to Li FangMing. “I will release you, and we will start again.”

Li FangMing felt the string around his neck loosen and then Hao Shuren disappeared back onto the tree. He watched as Hao Shuren unties the rope on his leg before jumping down. “Master, how did you know that I would choose this tree?”

“FangMing, in the past, how did you know where your prey would run to?”

“I predicted it. Based on their action, movement and line of sight, I can predict which way they plan to go,” Li FangMing answered.

“And there you have your answer. FangMing, do not think of me as your master right now. When we start again, think of me as your prey. In a battle between two hunters, you can either be the hunted or the hunters. Keep that in mind.”

After advising Li FangMing, Hao Shuren started their training again. It wasn’t until late at night did Li FangMing succeeded in defeating Hao Shuren and finally concluded his training.

That night, Li FangMing returned to the Imperial Palace feeling happy that his training is over. Never did he think that he would be witnessing the Emperor’s death.

“The Emperor has been assassinated!!!”

That sentence reverberated throughout the Imperial Palace as Li FangMing was being held down by the guards. His clothes were stained with bloods, bloodied dagger lies on the ground near him and the Emperor lays lifeless before him. His eyes were wide, and there were trails of tears streaming down his face. What happened next was hazy to Li FangMing as he refused to accept what just happened.

Just minutes before the incident…

Li FangMing who had just returned from his training was walking towards his residence when he met with Kuanshe Wang, Qin LuoZhuo, the current Emperor’s half-brother. At first, Li FangMing only wanted to give way to the older male and went on his way but Qin LuoZhuo seems to have a different idea. “FangMing, you’ve only returned now?”

Li FangMing, not wanting to disrespect the male, gave him a low, deep bow. “FangMing greets His Highness. This humble one had just returned from training, is there anything that Your Highness need from me? If it is something I can do, then I will do so,” he answered, not lifting his head up to meet the older male’s gaze.

“Li FangMing, it has been ten years since you started living within the Imperial Palace. Imperial brother had also given you the title of a Xinglan Wang and even treated you just as he did with his own son so you should stop acting like a servant,” Qin LuoZhuo said with a smile but deep in his heart, he wasn’t thinking as such. To him, Li FangMing is just someone who was lucky enough to save Qin YiJun and was favored by the Emperor. If it wasn’t for that incident, this boy would end up being a lowly servant. He had always abhorred the fact that Li FangMing is allowed within the Imperial palace in the first place.

Li FangMing also knew this fact, so he had always avoided from meeting Qin LuoZhuo but he didn’t know what winds blows this time as the older male took the initiative to speak to him. “Li FangMing, Imperial brother called for you. He said he wanted to discuss something with you, concerning YiJun… Alone.”

‘The Emperor? Why? He has never called me alone before this,’ Li FangMing thought as he frowned. He somehow felt that something is wrong. Though Li FangMing had met the Emperor before this, it was usually with Qin YiJun. “Then… I will go see the Emperor after I’ve bathed myself,” Li FangMing said, trying to at least buy some time so he could see Qin YiJun before seeing the Emperor.

“No. The Emperor said he wants to see you now. He is already waiting by the pavilion within the Emperor’s Garden. It isn’t good to keep the Emperor waiting, Wangye,” Qin LuoZhuo said as he continued to urge Li FangMing to go see the Emperor. This made Li FangMing feels even more suspicious but if what Qin LuoZhuo said is indeed true, then he would be disrespecting the Emperor if he is tardy.

“Then… I will go and see His Majesty now. This humble one thanks Wangye for informing him,” Li FangMing then excused himself and changed his destination to the Emperor’s Garden. But, Li FangMing wouldn’t have expected that in his life of sixteen years, he would see the Emperor laying on the marble floor of the pavilion which is covered in blood.

“Your Majesty!” the first thing Li FangMing did was call out for the Emperor before he rushed over to the Emperor’s side. He carefully lifted the Emperor up and slowly turned his body around only to see the small dagger stuck on the Emperor’s chest. What’s worse, the dagger was his. The dagger was given to him, by the Emperor himself to commemorate his sixteenth birthday. But it was lost few weeks ago. He even told Qin YiJun about it and they searched for it together to no avail. And now, here it is, used as a murder weapon to kill the Emperor.

“F-Fang…Ming…” the Emperor’s voice surprised him and when he turned his head from the dagger, he saw that the Emperor’s eyes were open and was gazing at him sadly. Then, the dying Emperor’s hand went to grab his clothes. “Fang Ming… You… must get away… L-live and p…-protect… YiJun… Luo-” the Emperor didn’t get to finish as his hand slacked and his breathing stopped.

Li FangMing has yet to realize the tears that streamed down his cheek. When he saw that the Emperor has passed, Li FangMing finally did something that turned his world upside down. Fearing that he may be implicated because of the dagger, he pulled it out, not knowing that someone was waiting for that very exact moment.

“Seize him! He has assassinated the Emperor!!” came Qin LuoZhuo’s voice, followed by few footsteps. Before Li FangMing could register it, he was already roughly held down by the guards as servants began to scream out that the Emperor has been assassinated, waking everyone up.

4