Chapter 10 – Treat me to a dinner
14.1k 3 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chen Ruo Yu is missing!

Chen Ruo Yu only knew about this matter after Gao Yu Lan found her in the hospital.

As expected, in her hometown C-city, Qi Na really spread rumors with additional juicy bits of information about her.  The rumor which portrayed her as an insurance saleswoman who was in dire straits and she also fawned over others to curry for favor was spread to everyone.  When Chen Father and Chen Mother heard this, they were, of course, shocked.  They tried to call her but her phone line was suspended for several days.  After that, the phone number became an uncontactable number.  So Chen Father and Chen Mother became terrified.

Since the old couple could not contact their daughter, they had to seek her friend's help.  So Yang Yang thought of ways to locate her and finally, she summoned her courage to look for Gao Yu Lan's family.  After she got the phone number from the Gao Family, she finally found Gao Yu Lan.  She hoped that Gao Yu Lan who was also staying in A-city could also help to look for Chen Ruo Yu.

When Gao Yu Lan received the news, she was also shocked.  They had not met for a period of time, how did Chen Ruo Yu end up missing?  So Yin Ze, Lei Feng and Meng Gu were also alerted to this news.  Everyone searched through various channels and finally located Chen Ruo Yu in the hospital.

"I changed to a new number and I didn’t even have time to inform everyone."  When Chen Ruo Yu said this, she felt very guilty.  In fact, she had dragged this matter for so long that her company had become anxious before she decided to get a new phone number.  They had said that without a cell phone, how was she going to conduct business?  How was she going to contact her customers?  She was reprimanded and finally after procrastinating, she went to register for a new number.  She could not tell them that she had developed a phone-ring phobia and so did not want to own a phone.  In the end, she had a gastroenteritis attack and collapsed in the reception hall of the telecommunications business office.

Chen Ruo Yu felt very sorry.  Although she knew that cutting off contact with everyone was very irresponsible of her but she did not think it would develop into such a big matter.

Even if this matter had developed into a big matter, it could be overlooked.  But to involve Meng Gu in this and also caused him to come over, it really made her particularly awkward.

This time, her impression in his heart would certainly have gone down two more levels.

Reckless, mischievous, childish, lack of filial piety, brain damage…..ai……

Meng Gu's expression was not good but in front of Gao Yu Lan and Yin Ze, he did not say any harsh words to her.  He just went to look for Chen Ruo Yu's doctor to have a discussion and when he returned, he told Chen Ruo Yu she could be discharged.

"Yi, I asked the doctor today and he had said 'No'.  He said to wait for tomorrow."

"Are you a doctor or am I a doctor?"

"Of course, it's you."  Chen Ruo Yu grinned.  Although she did not agree, she was in the wrong.  So she felt guilty and was a bit afraid to provoke him.

"A technical dialogue was held between two doctors and the conclusion is that if you continue to stay in the hospital, you have to pay more, so you can actually be discharged today.  Do you want to be discharged?"

"Yes, yes."  Of course, she wants to be discharged.  Now she is so poor she wants to cry and if she can save a little, that is a little saved.

So Chen Ruo Yu was discharged.

Meng Mu drove and sent Gao Yu Lan and Yin Ze home first before sending Chen Ruo Yu.

Chen Ruo Yu was very nervous and did not dare to suggest he should send her home first before sending Gao Yu Lan and Yin Ze home.

She had caused these friends to tiredly run around, worrying for her.  She felt guilty.  So all along the way, she did not even dare to voice a single objection.

Fortunately, Gao Yu Lan had talked with her all the way.  The two women were determined to work hard together to make progress in their careers.  At the side, Yin Ze protested and strongly demanded that Gao Yu Lan must not neglect him.  The young couple started to argue and banter flirtatiously which made Chen Ruo Yu smiled to herself.  While she was smiling, she accidentally met Meng Gu's eyes in the rearview mirror and subconsciously she shrank.

Then Meng Gu calmly looked away but Chen Ruo Yu's heart was jumping fiercely.

After Meng Gu had sent Gao Yu Lan and Yin Ze back to their place, he did not drive away but sat in the car.  She wanted to ask him what he was waiting for and after thinking for a while, she kept quiet and waited with him.

After waiting for a long time, Meng Gu suddenly said.  "Come and sit in front!  What?  Are you treating me as your driver?!"

Suddenly she realized and blushed.  Quickly she opened the car door and moved to the front passenger seat.

She sat down and after waiting for a long time, Dr. Meng still did not move his car.

Chen Ruo Yu felt a bit uncomfortable and secretly stole a glance at him.  She saw him staring at her.  "Are you not going to fasten your safety belt?"

"Oh, oh……"  Quickly the safety belt was fastened.

But Meng Gu still did not leave.  He took out his cell phone and handed it to her. 

She looked at the cell phone suspiciously.  Taking it did not seem right and not taking it also did not seem right.  Finally, she said.  "I have my own cell phone."

Meng Gu glared at her.  "Did I say I'm giving you the cell phone?"

She blushed and said.  "Dr. Meng's cell phone is really a high-end product."  He handed the phone over and did not say anything.  Only the ghost would know what he wanted and so she just simply praised him.

"Thank you."  Meng Gu was not in a good mood.  "Please enter your new cell phone number into this high-end phone."

"I won't disappear again."

"That's good but that does not have anything to do with my request for your number."  He simply dropped his cell phone on her lap.

Chen Ruo Yu bit her lip, lowered her head and stared at the cell phone in her hand.  After a long time, she finally admitted.  "I still have not registered for my new number."

"What actually do you keep in your melon head?"  His fierce attitude again riled Chen Ruo Yu, making her angry.

"The cerebrum, the cerebellum, and the brain stem."

Meng Gu threw her a glance.  "Very professional."

"It is common sense."

"It will be so much better if you do things using your common sense."  Meng Gu started the car and quickly drove onto the main road.

Chen Ruo Yu bit her lip and resisted the urged to retort.  She must practice self-control and there will still be hope in life.

Meng Gu took another look at her and she wanted to glare back at him.  Endure, self-control.

When she saw Meng Gu drive to the telecommunication business office, she was dumbfounded.  So, just having self-control is not feasible.

"I……"  Just as she opened her mouth, she received a glare.

Meng Gu stopped the car, turned to her side and opened the door on her side.  "Get down and do the registration for your cell phone number.  Don’t make excuses and don’t delay.  Get down."

She had already got down from the car but he was still scolding her.

"It is alright if you lose contact with your friends, you also dare to lose contact with your family.  Have you ever thought about your parents?  Even if you want to hide from something or someone, is canceling your cell phone number really useful?  You are an adult, not a child, what were you thinking?  You can even do such naïve things.  Not only will your family worry about you, but your friends will also worry about you.  You have made everyone feel so scared, don’t you feel bad about this?"

"It's just because I feel bad that I'm standing here in front of you waiting for you to scold me.  Otherwise, I would have turned around and left long ago."  Her voice was low and did not dare to speak out loudly.

"What did you say?"

"I didn’t say anything."

"Chen Ruo Yu!"

"I said, Dr. Meng is really a good person.  A medical doctor who has the heart of parents*.  Now I truly understand."  A 30-year-old man thinks of himself as a father figure to her…..nag, nag, nag and endlessly nag.

(A medical doctor who has the heart of parents means a doctor who cares for his patients just like parents care for their children.)

Chen Ruo Yu did not dare to look up and could feel Meng Gu staring down at her from the top of her head.  After he had stared enough, he escorted her into the business office to register for a new cell phone card.

She stood in front of the service counter and listened as Meng Gu acted on his own initiative to tell the salesman to register a new cell phone number for her.  She did not speak and pulled out her wallet. Then facing the salesman, she silently took out the balance of her money amounting to RMB21.50 from her wallet.  The salesman's face stiffened and subconsciously looked at Meng Gu.  He also did not speak and in front of Chen Ruo Yu, he silently pulled out a credit card.

"You owe me this money."  Meng Gu announced.  She did not know how she should respond and so she did not give him any response. 

The new number was finally registered and Dr. Meng Gu's high-end cell phone had also saved the number.  Then he escorted her back to the car again.

"When you reach home, give your family a call, do you understand?"

"En."  Chen Ruo Yu scowled.  She really did not know how to make this call home.  When she thought of her family's reaction and the upcoming bombing they would give her, she felt her scalp going numb.

"Treat me to dinner tomorrow.  I'll be off duty at six."

Her face immediately changed from anxiety to horror.

"What?  Not willing?  Just think, you had sneaked off from the hospital after I had shown you kindness.  I've been a doctor for so long, no patient of mine has ever sneaked away.  I have lost face due to you.  Also, you said you are my friend, do you treat your friends like this?  After that, you did not answer my calls and I don’t even know which street that you had died in.  Then you went missing and I still have to help find you.  You can do the calculation yourself.  How much do you owe me?  Is it wrong for you to treat me to dinner?"

Chen Ruo Yu did not dare to say she was wronged and so she said.  "Dr. Meng, I'm poor recently."

"Why are you poor?"

"I've stayed twice in the hospital and had spent a lot of money.  In addition, because of my customer's accident, these two months I was unable to close any insurance deals and almost did not even receive my basic salary.  I don’t have much savings and I still owe someone money.  I really don’t have money now.  At night, when I return home I eat only instant noodles, I'm really very poor.  Besides, I just changed a new number for my cell phone and I still have to contact all my customers and people on my contact list.  I will be very busy."

"Poor is it?  Busy is it?  All these are the results of your own actions.  Not worthy of any sympathy."

Chen Ruo Yu sighed and started to negotiate with him.  "Or else, wait until I have money then I'll treat Dr. Meng to a good meal."

"Wait until you have money?  Do you think your hope will materialize in this life?"

"I……."  Chen Ruo Yu glared at him.

Self-control.  Self-control.

"Wait in your home and I'll come to pick you up at 6 o'clock tomorrow."

"I have gastroenteritis.  I can't eat anything.  Why don’t we change it to another day?" 

"You don’t have to eat, you're inviting me for a meal.  If your stomach is not well, you can eat less."

Listen to him!  Listen!  Can he be more overbearing than this?

"That……6 o'clock is exactly the peak hour and the traffic jam is at its worst.  Coming to pick me up will be inconvenient for Dr. Meng.  Why don’t we change it to a weekend and make another appointment later."

"Inconvenient to drive?  I didn't know you can be so considerate.  Well, you can come and pick me up instead.  Come early and wait for me in the office beside the ward at 6 o'clock."

This is killing her!  No, kill him!

What kind of person is this?!

Chen Ruo Yu felt distressed.  What should she do?  How is she going to eat this meal?

10