Chapter 67 – Gift
10.5k 1 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This meal ended with a charred braised fish due to Dr. Meng’s cooking skill. 

Chen Ruo Yu could not stand it and personally prepared a few dishes of food.  Then she discovered that Dr. Meng, who has a successful career, forgot to press the ‘cook’ button of the rice cooker.  The rice in the pot was not cooked at all.  So by the time they waited for the rice to be cooked, the dishes she prepared had already turned cold. 

After the meal, she spent twice the amount of time as usual to clean up the kitchen. 

When Meng Gu saw that his first move of making her feel ‘touched’ had failed, he was as well-behaved as a cat.   Under Chen Ruo Yu’s interrogation, he did not dare say more than necessary.   

“Obviously, I’ve seen you buy those expensive beef steaks in the supermarket.”

“Yes, I really know how to fry the steaks.”

“How did you fry it?”

“I use the sauce that Yin Ze gives me to smear on the steak and I put oil into the pan. Then I’ll put the meat into the pan and when it is cooked, I’ll pour the sauce over the steaks and it is done.”

“Then, what about the whole lot of vegetables I saw in your fridge the last time?”

“That kind of situation was the only time when I wanted to ask you to come to my house for dinner.  I had made some preparations in advance.  In the end, you hurriedly hugged your pork shoulder and ran away with it.”

“……”  Chen Ruo Yu did not know what else to say.  Well, her Mr. Tyrannosaurus who is capable of cooking a good meal was only her imagination.

“As long as we have our strengths, that’s alright.”  The thick-skinned man was really bold with his own opinion.  “In the future, I will be responsible for the matters concerning the living room and you’ll be responsible for the matters concerning the kitchen.”

Chen Ruo Yu glared fiercely at him.

This day, before Meng Gu left he said that he had not planned properly for this but his coming performance is something that is worth looking forward to.

When she was lying in bed that night and thought over the day’s events, Chen Ruo Yu could not control herself but smiled. 

At first, when she fell in love with him, she felt that everything about him was good except for his personality.  Now she feels that his personality is terrible and the rest of him is not necessarily good.

Mr. Peach Blossom Forest who has good skin is actually just a normal man. 

Disillusioned, rotten peach blossoms…….Ah, no……they did not have any chance to be disillusioned.  The disillusionment was only hers.

Chen Ruo Yu entered her dreams with a smile.

Since she is an ordinary woman and Meng Gu is just an ordinary man, so their love is just an ordinary matter.

 

Every day they sent text messages to each other, talked on the phone and met up two to three times a week.  Although there were no thrilling experiences, no passions radiating all around but Chen Ruo Yu was still very satisfied.   Although Meng Gu was always busy, did not inform her when he was going to be late, and there were one or two immediate cancellations but Chen Ruo Yu did not mind and felt it was nothing.

She called Liang Sisi several times, reported her status quo with Meng Gu and also asked about Liang Sisi’s situation. 

Liang Sisi only told Chen Ruo Yu everything happy that had happened but never told her the worries she had.  She said she said her life is good and told Chen Ruo Yu not to worry.  But no matter what, Chen Ruo Yu could not put her heart at rest.  Sometimes when she looked at the cabinet full of romance novels that Liang Sisi left behind, she felt that although Sisi is always in love, in fact, Sisi is more eager for love than Chen Ruo Yu, herself.

Those who are eager will always be the most vulnerable.

 

During this period, there were two calls from C-city.

One was from home and as usual, she was asked about the progress she and Zhou Zhe had made regarding their feelings.  She wanted to tell them that she already has a boyfriend but in the end, she had swallowed back her words.  She had not really talked to Meng Gu about her family’s situation, her parent’s character and the behavior of her relatives.  She felt that she had to discuss this with Meng Gu in advance.  Although love is a matter between two people, in the end, there are still two families which will be part of their life.

The other phone call was from a friend, Yang Yang who said that the Spring Festival was arriving soon and Qi Na will be holding a class reunion during that time.  Chen Ruo Yu was invited to attend.  Yang Yang also said that she and a few old classmates had privately located Liu Wei Ping, the man who was rumored to be the partner in Gao Yu Lan’s betrayal of her boyfriend.  It turned out the culprit who created the misunderstanding that year was Qi Na.  Liu Wei Ping had really thought Gao Yu Lan had feelings for him and that was the reason he had made that love confession to her.  And Qi Na had deliberately brought everyone to catch them in the act and witness the show she staged.

Yang Yang said.  “Ruo Yu, will you come for the class reunion?  We are planning to get Liu Wei Ping to come over as well.  Regarding what happened that year, the few of us felt very uncomfortable in our hearts and we feel it is better for this matter to be cleared up.  You and Lan Lan had suffered needlessly for this grievance.  Even if Liu Wei Ping won’t come forward to testify, we don’t want Qi Na to act so arrogantly.  She had also invited Lan Lan, so she should have plans to make it ugly for Lan Lan.  When she invited us this time, she also said some hurtful words telling us how poorly Lan Lan is doing currently.”

Chen Ruo Yu laughed.  “Yang Yang, Lan Lan’s life is very good.  She is so happy that she makes other envious of her.  You are very thoughtful of her but I think the new Lan Lan is completely different from the old Lan Lan.  Now she has somebody supporting her and she should not be worried about Qi Na.  Don’t worry.  I will attend the class reunion.”

After putting down this call, she gave Gao Yu Lan a call.  During this period of time, they had always met up and regarding Gao Yu Lan’s steady and smooth development of her love relationship, Chen Ruo Yu actually felt a little envious of her.

She told Gao Yu Lan about the class reunion and confirmed with Gao Yu Lan that she had also received the invitation.  She told Gao Yu Lan she would definitely be going and both of them agreed they would attend the class reunion.  Then Chen Ruo Yu asked Gao Yu Lan about her apartment. 

“Your rent is much cheaper.”

“But there is only one bedroom.”

“Lan Lan, hurry up and get married or you can move to Boss Yin’s house.  Anyway, you’re already living together.  Staying in your place and staying in Boss Yin’s house is the same.  In this way, you can let me have your house.”  The problem of housing was indeed a stress for Chen Ruo Yu.  She was also considering Zhao Xia’s invitation to work fulltime with her because her income would then be more stable. 

On the other end of the phone, Chen Ruo Yu’s words......‘Anyway, you’re already living together’ made Gao Yu Lan blushed furiously and she could only utter a few words in reply.  However, when Gao Yu Lan told Yin Ze that Chen Ruo Yu was looking for a house, Yin Ze told Meng Gu. 

Therefore, in order to speed up the progress of making her feel ‘touched’, Meng Gu started the implementation of his second plan. 

This day, Chen Ruo Yu was about to go off work when she received a call from Meng Gu.  “Chen Ruo Yu, did you receive the package I sent by express delivery?  What are your thoughts?”

“What express delivery?”

“You still have not received it?  Well, they are really inefficient.  Let me give them a call and ask.”

He said he will call again but after waiting for a long time, he still had not call back.  Chen Ruo Yu did not feel at ease.  What did he send by express delivery?

She called him and the phone rang for a long time before he picked up the call.

“What did you sent me?”

“It’s a surprise.”

“What surprise?”

“It will not be a surprise if I tell you.”

“Durian?”

“That is an old trick.  That’s nothing new.”

“Flowers?”

“Miss, that day I had sent you flowers and in the end, you asked me for the price of the flowers.  Then you told me that with that kind of money, it could buy me more than 10 catties of cauliflowers and you also stipulated that I should never send you flowers in future, remember?”

“Oh.”  There was truly such a thing.  She felt her heart ached.  That bouquet of flowers could have bought several meals of vegetables.

“What did you actually send by express delivery?  Where is the express delivery now?”

“He said that he had too many deliveries in hand and it will be very late before he can deliver it.  I told him to send it tomorrow.  You don’t have to wait.  Go back early to rest.  Today, I don’t have time.  Can we have dinner together tomorrow night?”

“Okay.”  But she was not worried about eating now.  She still had the package in her mind.  “What did you actually sent me?”  Why does she have an ominous premonition?

“You will know when you receive it tomorrow.”

“No, tell me now.”

Meng Gu was forced without any option.  “It’s only a bank card.”

“What did you say?!”  Chen Ruo Yu screamed loudly and stood up.  Her colleagues around her looked up at her in surprise and holding her cell phone, she rushed outside to talk.

“Dr. Meng, you’re not so vulgar as to send money directly to me, did you?”

“Of course not!  Am I so tasteless?  That is not any bank card.  It is my salary card.”  Meng Gu felt he was very creative.  This move is romantic and moving.

“What did you say?”  Chen Ruo Yu felt she was going crazy.  “Are you kidding?”

“I’m not kidding.”  Well, Meng Gu had to admit that the reaction of his girlfriend could not be considered as ‘moved’.

“You put your salary card in a document bag and gave it to an express delivery staff that you don’t know!  Now that person is holding your card and you don’t even know where he had run off to?!”  She roared.

“Well,…….”  Meng Gu could not help but defend himself.  “According to the process, after I had handed over the card to the express delivery staff, he had delivered it to the express delivery company and now it is another express delivery staff who is supposed to send it to you.  So, there is no such thing as secretly running off with my card and they don’t know what is in the bag.  I had packed it in a box and it looks like a gift.  It is very safe.  Besides, they don’t even know the password……..”

“Give me the express delivery bill number and his phone number!”  Chen Ruo Yu interrupted him and now the word ‘Chaotic’ was not enough to describe her mood.

Meng Gu gave her a number and Chen Ruo Yu rushed back to her seat to write it down.  She instantly cut off Meng Gu’s call and ran outside again to make the call to the express delivery staff.  The staff also said the same thing as Meng Gu had told her.  There were too many deliveries to be made and it will only be delivered tomorrow. 

“No matter how many deliveries you have to make, my package is very important.  I will wait for you and no matter what time, you have to come.”  Chen Ruo Yu was fierce and the staff was subdued.  He muttered and tried to explain that he really could not make the delivery.

“Don’t tell me all this!  I must get my package today and if you can’t send it, I’ll pick it up!  Tell me, where are you?”  Inside the bag is the salary card and the money-squandering-gamer really did not know the seriousness of his action.  Why did he play with his salary card?  If she did not see the salary card with her own eyes today, how can she have a good night’s sleep?

Finally, when the express delivery staff gave in and promised to make the delivery to her first, then only did Chen Ruo Yu quieten down.

After the call ended, Chen Ruo Yu immediately called Meng Gu again.  She told him that the packaged was being sent to her now and she would wait for it in her company.  Then she said fiercely.  “If I don’t receive it today, I won’t forgive you!”  She did not wait for Meng Gu to reply and she hung up the call.

Holding her cell phone in her hand with anger boiling, she looked at Mr. Peach Blossom Forest on the phone screen and poked at the back of his head. 

How do men develop their brains?  Is sending their salary card to their girlfriends through express delivery called romantic and touching?

This is so unnerving.  She is really scared to death, okay?

She waited for half an hour and finally, the express delivery arrived.  She was very careful and inspected the goods before signing for receipt.  The staff saw her fierce expression and could not do anything except allowed her to open the package.

She opened the package and saw a beautiful gift box.  She opened it and saw the salary card lying in the box safely.  Instantly, she let out a sigh of relief and then signed on the express delivery document to acknowledge receipt.

When the express delivery staff saw what was in the box, he had an understanding expression on his face.  “Your boyfriend is quite generous.”

Chen Ruo Yu glanced at him.  “Why is it when you said ‘Boyfriend’, I have the feeling I’m hearing the word ‘Gold Master*’?”

(Gold Master means a financial backer or an investor or the paymaster.)

“How can that be?  Miss, you don’t look like someone who is being supported*.”  The express delivery staff waved his hand.  Although he had said those words, the expression on his face showed otherwise.  As he walked out, he muttered to himself.  “Nowadays, there are all sorts of people.” 

(Supported here means a woman/man kept by a man/woman who takes care of all her/his needs in exchange for sex.)

After Chen Ruo Yu saw the card was safe, her anger had somewhat subsided.  But when she thought of what Meng Gu had done, not taking into account it had frightened her, it had also made other people feel she was that kind of women, she felt displeased.   She called Meng Gu to confirm the time for tomorrow’s appointment and also told him she wanted to have a proper talk with him. 

At night, while she was lying down on the bed, she played with Meng Gu’s salary card in her hands.  Now that everything is over and she is no longer feeling angry, she has an inexplicable feeling of sweetness in her heart.

Well, this man had given her his salary card and although the process was frightening, she felt the sweetness with his card in her hands.

Mr. Tyrannosaurus, you are a social elite but you are so naïve.  However, such naivety is quite adorable.

No, he cannot be considered as adorable as he had done such a stupid thing.  It can only be described as hateful and adorable at the same time.

Well, just only a little bit……adorable.......

19