Chapter 77 – Slapped
10.4k 2 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The house was full of people.

Two mahjong tables were set up, the sofa was fully occupied and all the chairs in the house were brought out.  The whole house was full of people sitting around without even one vacant seat.  In addition to the relatives who had celebrated the New Year with her family for the past few days, her Elder Auntie and her family had also come over to join in the celebration.  There were also several people who she did not know.  One of them was a young man sitting next to her Elder Auntie and Chen Father was chatting with him.  Chen Ruo Yu had an ominous premonition. 

She was a bit suspicious.  Today was already the fourth day of the New Year and she thought that the relatives should be leaving these two days.  After discussing with Meng Gu, they had planned that today, no matter what she must look for an opportunity to talk to her parents about Meng Gu and then she would spend more time with him the following two days.  After the relatives had left, when the house had quiet down, she would take Meng Gu home to meet her parents.  Then when the holidays end, the two of them would go back to A-city.

But now looking at this situation, could it be Elder Auntie had brought someone over for a blind date with her?

It is the New Year, why won’t they let her off?

When she opened the door, everyone looked towards the door.  Seeing that it was Chen Ruo Yu, there was laughter and smiles on everyone’s face in the room.

“She’s home, she’s home!  Xiao Yu, come over and let Elder Auntie take a look at you.”

She put on a bold front, smiled and walked over.  Actually, there was no place to sit and anyway, she had no intention to sit down, so she stood and let her Elder Auntie pulled her hands and exchanged a few pleasantries with her.  At the side, Chen Father stood up and gave her a wink to sit down on the seat he had just vacated but she pretended not to see.

But even if she were to stand there and put on an act that at any time she wanted to go to the toilet was also not appropriate.  Her Elder Auntie did not display any courtesy and directly introduced the young man beside her.  Her Elder Auntie said that the young man is her colleague who had come to visit her and since she was planning to come to Chen Ruo Yu’s house, she brought him along with her.  The young man’s name is Li Chao.  He has good facial features, his conduct is good and his performance in the company is excellent.  Since it is the New Year, young people should get to know each other, enjoy each other’s company and make friends.  As a show of courtesy, Chen Ruo Yu smiled at him and gave him a look.  Li Chao was also somewhat cautious and returned her smile.

She also felt sorry for this poor person.  Who would willingly be pulled into a stranger’s house during the New Year and be watched like a monkey performing a show?   Her Elder Auntie who has a strong self-centered personality must have also brought her personality to her company and this Li Chao is definitely her subordinate whom she had brought under pressure.

After the two people had been introduced, the case was as she had guessed.  Elder Auntie said enthusiastically.  “Li Chao, look at her.  My family’s Xiao Yu is beautiful.  She has a good personality, obedient and filial.  The two of you will definitely be able to communicate well.”

Li Chao did not say anything and only nodded.

Chen Ruo Yu truly could not smile with them any longer.  Her personality is really good, so good that it is easy for problems to crop up.  This Li Chao does not seem to have a personality, so he also has a big problem.  In such a situation, if it was her family’s Tyrannosaurus, he would never allow anyone to mold him.  She still likes that person with his bad personality.

Chen Ruo Yu excused herself saying she wanted to go to the toilet.  Then after going around a few times, she led her father away by saying the toilet was blocked and it needed his attention.

The problem-free toilet was used as an excuse and it also served as a place for whispers.

Chen Father was puzzled.  He was about to say if the toilet was blocked, she could have unblocked it herself.  What was the use of calling for him?  Before he could open his mouth, he was questioned by his daughter.  “Dad, what is this?  Why wasn’t I informed before you do this?”

“What do you mean by saying you were not informed?  Yesterday, your Elder Auntie called to say that she is coming to pay us a visit for the New Year and we talked about you.  Your Second Auntie said she wanted to introduce a partner to you, then your Elder Auntie said that she knows someone who is good.  Since he will be going to her house to visit her for the New Year, she will bring him along to visit us.  Yesterday you were not at home, how can I tell you?”

“Dad, you should have refused.  I told you I already have a boyfriend.  How should this matter end now?”

“Don’t always have a rejection mentality.  Everyone is trying to help you by introducing a partner to you and it is their way of showing they care for you.  It is not nice to find excuses to ward off our help.  Yesterday your Mom was already not too happy about this. You are an adult, so don’t let us worry about you.  First, talk to this guy, Li Chao and get to know him.  It’s not like we are telling you to get married right away.  Dad had talked to him for a while and I think he is not bad.  If you don’t like him, then we’ll tell your Auntie then later if you don’t meet, it’s alright.  It doesn’t matter.  Don’t say any more about having a boyfriend otherwise you’ll make your Mom angry.  If your Mom asks you to bring him over, then what will you do?”

Chen Father had not finished speaking yet when Chen Mother suddenly appeared at the door of the toilet.  “What are you two whispering about?  What had Xiao Yu done?  What will make me angry?”

“Nothing.  It’s nothing.”  Chen Father winked at Chen Ruo Yu.

Chen Ruo Yu did not care and said.  “I have a boyfriend.  I won’t agree to a blind date.”

Chen Mother’s face sank and she sneered.  “You have a boyfriend?  Good, then let him come now.  I want to see how he looks like.”

“There are so many guests outside.  I plan to bring him home two days later when there are not so many people in the house.”

“Why two days later?  Your Elder Auntie had already brought a partner over and if your boyfriend is not coming, who knows what he looks like?  It’s the New Year and he doesn’t even have the knowledge of etiquette to pay us a visit?

“Calling him to come over and let others watch him like a performing monkey is called etiquette?”  Chen Ruo Yu was very angry.  The thought of her Mr. Tyrannosaurus acting like that Li Chao who was looked upon by others with a gossip mentality, without any respect for him, she felt her heart ache.  “It is quite embarrassing for Elder Auntie to bring people here like this.  Have you all ever thought about the feelings of us young people?  We also have self-esteem.  It should not be the case that what you elders want us to do, then, we will have to do according to your wishes!”

Chen Ruo Yu’s voice was a little loud and Chen Mother felt so angry that she was gasping for breath.  “He was brought here just because of you.  What do we want?  We are only doing our best to help you, young people, live well.”

“When I have friends coming for a visit regardless of whether they are men or women, you always have to ask what they do, how much they earn a month, what do their families do, what their partner does, what is their salary……..are all these related to letting us live well?  It is just the bad habits of old people who love to find out about other people’s business and their love to compare with other people.  Then you talk about the matters regarding someone else’s child, the matters regarding his partner, their job and how much income they get.  Old people like you gather together and only talk about this.  Then you will say this child is not living well, it is not good, then comment that the child doesn’t look good and don’t know whether they will last.  Does this nit-picking commentary really help us, young people, to live well?!”

When Chen Ruo Yu became excited, her voice became louder and her words became more.  Chen Mother had said only a few words, and Chen Ruo Yu had talked back in a long speech. The matter escalated and caused the relatives in the living room coming over to investigate what was happening.  Chen Mother could not control herself and in a fit of anger, she swung up her hand and slapped Chen Ruo Yu on her face.

Chen Ruo Yu firmly and calmly took the slap and gritted her teeth without making a sound.  Then she squeezed past Chen Mother to return to her bedroom.

Chen Father said to Chen Mother with anxiety.  “Why can’t you discuss this nicely?  Why do you have to hit your daughter?”

After slapping Chen Ruo Yu, Chen Mother felt regretful but in front of everyone, she could not lose face and did not say anything.  She tightened her face and kept quiet.  When Chen Ruo Yu’s two aunts saw what had happened, they quickly tried to smooth things over.  “Don’t be angry, don’t be angry.  It is the New Year.  If the child is disobedient, you have to teach her slowly.  Come, let’s go out for some tea.”  While they were talking, they dragged Chen Mother back into the living room.

When Chen Ruo Yu ran back to her bedroom, Chen Brother jumped with fright.  His bedroom was occupied by his Second Uncle and his family and he had nowhere to go.  His mother had said that since there were guests in the house, he was not allowed to go out.  There were a lot of people in the living room, so he could only hide in his sister’s bedroom with a manga.  In the end, his sister did not return the whole night and now suddenly when she appeared, she had a dark face and it frightened him.  

“Sister, what is wrong?”  He asked cautiously.

Chen Ruo Yu sat on the edge of the bed and ignored him.

Chen Brother became even more cautious.  He opened the door and looked around.  Outside, everything was normal and when Chen Father sneaked a look towards his direction, Chen Brother quickly shrank back into the room, slammed the door and whispered.  “Sister, tell me.  What happened?  Is there a fierce war going on?  Should I go out and avoid it?”

Chen Ruo Yu still ignored him.  She felt so sad that she wanted to cry but she tried hard to control her emotions and this stinky boy was messing around.  She pulled out her phone and called Meng Gu.  At this time, only her Mr. Tyrannosaurus can comfort her. 

The phone was connected and without waiting for her to speak, he asked.  “You’ve done talking so fast?”

“Not yet.”  Speaking of this, she felt even sadder.  He was still waiting for her to tell her family that he would be coming over to meet them but she had messed up everything.

“What is wrong?”  He knew something was not right when he heard her voice.

She hesitated for a long time and only said.  “I am not in a good mood.”

Chen Brother stared at his sister suspiciously.  Goosebumps were in the danger of rising on him.  This woman is acting a little spoilt.  It seems there is something going on.

“How come your mood is bad?  Just now when you went upstairs, you were very happy, weren’t you?”  Earlier, he had sent her home and dropped her off downstairs.  Only a short time had elapsed, and now she is not in a good mood.

“I had a fight with my Mom.”  She bit her lip and rubbed the bedsheet.

“Um……..”  On the other end of the line, the man’s voice did not sound sympathetic but he asked.  “Then do you need me to come over and challenge them or do you want to come down and elope with me?”

He teased her and she wanted to laugh.  “Both of them will result in my Mom breaking my legs.”

“No, she will not.”

“Just now, I was slapped.”

This time, the other side was quiet for a while.  Then Meng Gu said.  “What is the number of your house and what floor is your house?  I am coming up.”

“Are you still here?”  He had clearly said he was going to look for Yin Ze and wait for her call.

“I’m still downstairs.  There is nothing interesting at Yin Ze’s place.  I just want to wait for you.”

Chen Ruo Yu really felt like crying now.  “I will come down.  Don’t walk away.”

After hanging up the phone, she rubbed her eyes and ignored the strange look on Chen Brother’s face.  She opened the door and went out.

As she passed through the living room, everyone suddenly stopped talking.  Chen Ruo Yu did not look at them and only said to no one in particular.  “I’m going out for a while.”  Then she opened the main door and left.

Chen Mother ran after her to the door and wanted to call her back but as soon as Chen Ruo Yu was out of the door, she ran and disappeared down the stairs.

She ran downstairs to the district entrance and saw Meng Gu’s car still parked at the same place where he had dropped her off when he sent her back earlier.  As Meng Gu got down from his car, she rushed over and hugged him tightly. 

“You’re really pitiful.”  Meng Gu patted her head.  “I told you, I don’t have confidence in you dealing with these matters.  You’re worse than I imagined.”

“Who said so?”  Is this the way to comfort people?

“Who slapped you?”

“My Mom.”

“Is she the most ferocious in your family?”  In fact, she had told him everything about her family but he still had to confirm.

“Um…..”

“Come, let’s go up.”

“No.”  She hurriedly pulled him back.  Upstairs is the Dragon’s Pool and Tiger’s Cave*.  Today is not suitable for a battle.

(Dragon’s Pool and Tiger’s Cave means an extremely sinister place.)

“What is it?”

“There are many people upstairs.  My relatives and their families are there.  My Elder Auntie’s family is there also and she had brought a man as well.”

“Huh?” 

A man?  This is the point.  “It is the New Year and they still want to arrange for a blind-date?”

She bowed her head and was very upset.  “I really told them that I already have a boyfriend.”

“So all this while, they treated your words as fart?”

Chen Ruo Yu felt even sadder.  “Don’t make me cry.  I’ve been holding back and if I start crying, it will be earth-shattering.”

“How earth-shattering is that?  Is it like when you are in bed?  While crying, you screamed and scratched me?”

She punched her fists on his chest.  “I am very sad now, so don’t talk indecently to me.”

He smiled and spread out his arms invitingly to her.  “Come.”

She bit her lip and threw herself into his arms.  Finally, she could not control herself and cried.

She cried for a while and after she had cried enough, Meng Gu took out some paper towels and helped her to wipe her face.  He asked her what exactly had happened and then pulled her into the district.  “Let’s go back.  Since they can’t seem to be able to hear you, then let me tell them.  If we don’t prove on the spot that what you said is true, won’t they behave more arrogant in the future?”

“Then when they say any unpleasant words, you must not get angry.”

“I won’t.  My temper is the best.”

“Wait, wait……Control the way you speak.  Those people are all relatives and try to be nice or it will not look good.”

“I will.  I am the most gracious person.”

Is that true?

“Dr. Meng, a person must have self-awareness.”  His self-evaluation had once been cast aside by his girlfriend.

“I have.  I am quite objective of myself.”

Hand in hand they walked upstairs and saw the main door of Chen Ruo Yu’s home.  Chen Ruo Yu looked worriedly at Meng Gu and he also looked at her.  Suddenly, he held her chin and gave her a hard kiss.  “Last night, I had worked hard and given you all my energy.  Now, I have to get back some from you.”

Why is he still messing around?  She really could not help but hit him.

Looking at his smiling face, she suddenly understood.  “Dr. Meng, don’t be nervous.”

“I am not nervous.  What kind of scenes haven’t I seen before?  I’ve never been afraid of quarreling.”

“You’re not here to quarrel.  You’re here to meet my parents.”  She had to remind him.

“I know.”  So that is why he feels nervous.

No, he does not feel nervous.

“Chen Ruo Yu, will you kiss me again?”

“Should we come back another day?”  She felt more fearful than him.

She lifted her foot and wanted to leave but she was pulled back by him.

His slender fingers pressed decisively on the doorbell.

Chen Ruo Yu stared at the door and her heart began to race.

To all Gods passing by, please bless her family’s Tyrannosaurus and protect him from that large group of people in the house.

20