Chapter 2: Return to Kinman
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The large slowly rides back through trees that led into the clearing, quickly coming back out on the road that they had originally been riding on. Turning left, they begin to ride back in the direction of Kinman.

"Are you sure my son will be okay?" Lord Li asked agent Piao as they two rode next to each other. "It is at least an hour's journey back to Kinman."

"I assure you Lord Li, as an agent of the emperor, that your son will perfectly fine." agent Piao responded to Lord Li's concerns with a soft, comforting voice. "Now that his awakening is complete, his Origin Root will inflict no further pain upon him."

"I understand." Lord Li sighed after speaking. "It's difficult not to worry after him, especially after seeing him in anguish like that."

"Which is completely understandable, Lord Li." agent Piao spoke gently. "But please, trust in me, and know that your son is going to be just fine."

After half an hour of riding, they eventually crest the edge of the forest, stepping out onto cleared out land on the edge of a large cliff. The group sat for a moment, looking over thick forest which sprawled for miles around. Far in the distance, however, open ground was visible, the high walls of a city sticking out like a shining gem.

"That is Kinman." Lord Li pointed toward the walls in the distance. "It should only be an hour ride from here, maybe a bit more."

Agent Piao nodded in response as they began to move again, navigating down a path cut out from the cliff face, leading down to the forest below. "I must ask, is this path secure?" Agent Piao questioned aloud while looking around as they began to make their way down.

"Allow me to assure you now," Lord Li chuckled with a smile, speaking with a reassuring voice of his own, "This path is perfectly safe. Engineers from Kinman check the supports every month and repair any damage."

"I see." agent Piao gently stroked his chin. "Kinman must have rather skilled engineers to be able to cut a path of stone like this."

"Such an accomplishment can be credited to Earl Shi's close friend Xin Xiao. He's currently the head engineer of Kinman, though he originates from the capital, Zhaodong." Lord Li explained.

"He must be a talented engineer indeed." agent Piao spoke with admiration.

"Very much so." Lord Li responded with smile.

They continued their way down the path, curving down path cutting through cliff until they finally touched down on the ground once more as they entered into the forest at the base. Stepping off of the dirt cut path that carved through the cliff face, the group stepped onto more stable ground; walking onto a more proper road which ran through the woods.

The road was made up of an outline of precisely cut grey stones which outlined a well packed gravel laid pathway. Every several feet, the pathway had a thin cut through it that led up to a small gap in the outlining stones, allowing water to more easily flow off of the pathway.

"I wouldn't have expected to see such a road in the countryside." agent Piao remarked as he seemed to admire the high-quality construction. "I assume this is another work of Xin Xiao?" agent Piao inquired as he looked over to Lord Li.

"Indeed, it is." Lord Li replied with a satisfied smile. "When Earl Shi requested Xin Xiao come to Kinman, the first thing he recommended was the construction of more proper infrastructure out here in this far underdeveloped territory." Lord Li continued his explanation. "He determined that a reliable road system should be Earl Shi's highest priority."

"I must say I agree." agent Piao responded with a nod. "I can't imagine how long it would take us to travel to Kinman if this road wasn't here." agent Piao quickly explained his thinking. "And to, I can't imagine how difficult it would be for Earl Shi to move his soldiers if such a thing didn't exist."

"You have the right of it, agent Piao." Lord Li smiled. "Even back then moving the soldiers of Kinman throughout the region was difficult. It allowed bandits and rogues to get away before we could arrive." Lord Li continued with a somber voice. "The people in a rural region like this are far too susceptible to such exploitation."

"It feels as if you could never have guessed such woes once plagued this place." agent Piao spoke with praise. "You generals of Kinman and your soldiers must be quite fearsome."

"I cannot accept such high praise." Lord Li gently scratched the back of his neck with an appreciative smile. "All of this peace and calm belongs to the unrelenting efforts of Earl Shi."

"If I might ask, how is that?" agent Piao questioned with a raised eyebrow.

"The late Earl was a good man, but he was far too lax in the administration of these vulnerable lands." Lord Li seemed troubled as he spoke. "Not only bandits, but southern horse barbarians were a constant threat. However, when the young Earl Shi rose to power, he reorganized Kinman into the powerhouse that stands today." Lord Li continued, a soft smile creeping across his face.

"This Earl Shi is truly a remarkable lord, unlike many other nobles in this empire." agent Piao's face seemed to contort into a disgusted grimace for an instant before his unassuming smile returned once more.

"Aye, he truly is a lord I would gladly die for. He made it easier for merchants and shopkeepers to do business in our city and organized the city militia into a proper military. Within only a year, he tripled its size and armed and armored them with proper weapons and equipment." Lord Li continued speaking, barely thinking as he reminisced. "Soon after, we eradicated the bandits and put the heads of barbarians upon pikes lining the roads, and not long after he strengthened the walls of the city and enlarged its defensive towers."

"With every word of praise you speak, the more I look forward to meeting Earl Shi." agent Piao smiled with subtle anticipation.

"Ah, forgive me for rambling on." Lord Li chuckled a bit as he bowed his head in apology.

"No need to apologize, please continue." agent Piao returned his bow with a simple nod. "Any lord who has a subordinate willing to heap such praise upon him at their leisure must truly be lord worthy of such admiration."

"He truly is a noble unlike any other." A prideful smile crept across his face. "It will be my honor to introduce you to him once we reach Kinman."

"And it will be my great honor to meet with him. And I look forward to getting to know him during my stay in Kinman." agent Piao replied with a smile.

"Thank you, agent Piao. I'm sure Earl Shi would be pleased to hear it." Lord Li bowed his head. "Please just excuse me a moment." Lord Li excused himself as he slowed down a bit in order to match pace with Ao Jīn as he addressed him directly. "How has Tao Cai seemed to have taken the ride thus far?"

"He's still completely unconscious, my lord." Ao Jīn replied as he gently laid his hand on the young boy's neck as Qi seemed to fluctuate for a moment. "His pulse is normal, and his Qi is flowing without issue. Though he may be unconscious, he appears to be completely healthy."

Lord Li sighed before responding, "That's good to hear. Just make sure he remains as comfortable as possible."

"Understood, my lord." Ao Jīn put his hands into a hold fist salute as he slightly bowed his head, quickly returning to normal so as to properly direct the horse. Lord Li quietly nodded in return before hastening his pace once again to catch back up to agent Piao.

"Is your son in good health?" agent Piao questioned as Lord Li caught up, now riding next to him.

"Yes, just as you said of course." Lord Li responded with an assuring nod. "Perhaps we should pick up the pace." Lord Li suggested, looking over at agent Piao. He quietly nodded in response. "Pick up the pace!" Lord Li shouted out with booming voice filled with hearty energy. In an instant, they began to pick up speed.

It didn't take long until they crested the edge of the forest, breaking through the wall of trees as they stepped out onto open land. Continuing forward, they were soon surrounded on both sides by fields sprawling out to their left and right, running up the sides of the small hills and uneven land. Several Tulou were scattered throughout the fields which housed all of the people which tended to the vast fields. Each was well-built, and clearly built for battle as much as they were for housing. It was evident that they were modified to allow soldiers to patrol atop them, armed men clearly visible walking along their top.

"Three of you prepare banners and alert the gate guards to our imminent arrival." Lord Li ordered his guards as three of them toward the front of the formation pulled out small rods. With a quick motion, they suddenly expanded as banners of the Li Family emerged from them. Holding them high, the three riders immediately hastened their pace and went ahead.

"Banner Items?" agent Xiao questioned with a look. "I wouldn't expect them to be seen out here in such a rural territory."

"Indeed, Earl Shi's chief enchanter recently began to produce them for his top nobles and generals." Lord Li explained as he motioned toward two additional men to both his left and right. Each man withdrew a similar rod as they expanded out into banners bearing Li Family name. "It makes it far easier on our guards, to not have heavy banners encumbering them."

Continuing through the fields, farmers immediately began to kowtow from the fields, others lining the sides of the road as they offered their jubilant greetings to Lord Li and young lord Li. Among the farmers were groups of guards offering their greetings. Each soldier was clothed in basic robes, plated leather armor covering their chest and back. In the hands of each man was Ji, laying the dagger-axe against the crest of their armor to hold it in place as they bowed while offering Lord Li and his group hold fist salutes.  An additional Jian was sheathed at each man's hip.

"You, too, must be rather well admired and respected." agent Piao subtly prodded for information. "To be greeted so jubilantly by the peasants. Most lords are lucky enough to be kowtowed to just because of their status."

"Agent Piao..." Lord Li seemed uncomfortable with agent Piao's comments.

"Hoho, please ignore the ramblings of this outsider, my lord." agent Piao quickly remarked in response as he bowed his head.

"I am one of the three principal generals that lead the armies of Kinman. A protector of the people, and they know that." Lord Li spoke while seemingly disregarding agent Piao's previous words, giving agent Piao a knowing look.

Agent Piao let out a quiet chuckle before responding, "A most noble position, for a very noble man."

"Thank you, agent Piao, I am unworthy of such praise." As Lord Li responded, the walls of the city now becoming clearly visible in the distance. As they grew nearer, the gates became more discernable, their grand draw bridge down and the gates wide open. The gatehouse tower above the gate was three stories tall and expanded widely to the left and right of the gate's frame. Countless guards could be seen patrolling the high walls and walking through the tower.

As they drew near to the gates, the group began to slow down to a more leisurely trot. Riding over the drawbridge and through the open gates, they entered into the city to sound of the clacking of the horse's hooves against the stone street. Stepping onto the main road of the street, countless citizens were already standing on its sides. The people began to kowtow, and the soldiers began to hold their fists in salute as Lord Li and his group road through the streets. Lord Li quietly bowed his head in greeting to the people as he rode past them.

They quickly ride through the open streets, greeting the people as they go. Both common peasants, and wealthy merchants alike shout their praise upon the honorable Lord Li, protector of Kinman and butcher of the Dai Lan Plains.

"Butcher of the Dai Lan Plains?" agent Xiao raised an eyebrow in surprise as he gazed over at Lord Li with the expectant look.

"The Dai Lan Plains are where we fought our last battle against the southern barbarians known as the Renxiao." Lord Li explained. "I took the head of their barbarian king, and two dozen of their tribe chiefs. When they died, the rest of the Renxiao seemed to just fall apart."

"I will have to inquire further about this." agent Piao's interest seemed more than peaked. Lord Li gave only a quiet nod in response.

Continuing down the main street, they eventually made it to the inner-city wall which surrounded the city lord's manor and its surrounding gardens and residences. The gates were already open as they quickly rode through, the gates closing and sealing behind them. Riding through, they quickly approach a colossal sqaure located outside of the sprawling city lord's manor. Dozens of guards stand quietly around the square, the three guards Lord Li sent ahead standing among them. It was apparent that these men were more heavily armored than the soldiers patrolling the city, with a full set of plated leather armor covering them from head to toe and helmets upon their heads. Each man held a spear and shield. Several of them even had plumes upon their helmets, and short capes draped over their back which denoted them as officers.

Stopping in front of the line of guards which stands in front of the steps that lead up to the city lord's manner, Lord Li quickly dismounts. Walking over to Ao Jīn and Tao Cai, the guards all around the square kneel as they hold fist salute while bowing their heads.

"Take Tao Cai and have one of these men guide you to Chamberlain Yahui. Have a room prepared for him. Go!" Lord Li strictly order as Ao Jīn immediately dismounted his horse, grabbing Tao Cai and taking him in his arms. Immediately the guards noticed the unconscious young lord Li as several of them called out to Lord Li.

"Is young lord Li alright, my lord!" one of the kneeling soldiers, a young-looking man, suddenly called out. All of the soldiers looked over at him at him for a moment, but quickly lowered their heads once again. He immediately lowered his head as well and closed his mouth.

"He only feinted during the hunt. Nothing to worry about." Lord Li assured the soldier. His response seemed to make all of the guards in square calm down. "However, I would like you to escort this man and my other guards to Chamberlain Yahui." Lord Li requested as the soldier looked up once again, Lord Li gesturing him to stand. Lord Li's own guards looked at each other for a moment before Li turned to face them. "Wu Yin, Wie Jie, the two of you will stay with me." Lord Li quickly clarified be addressing the rest of his men. "When a room is secured, one of you is to come to the manor's great hall and wait for me. The rest of you shall secure the room." Lord Li spoke in a strict voice as he spoke his order.

"Yes, Lord Li!" the guards announced in unison as they clasped their hands into hold fist salutes while they bowed their heads.

"Go with Ao Jīn." Lord Li ordered as they began to dismount, approaching Ao Jīn and the young soldier guiding him. As they walked off, Lord Li approached one of the officers. "Please have their horses taken care of."

The officer bowed his head, gesturing men around the square forward. The soldiers began to take the horses by their reigns, guiding them off to the side. As they did so, an officer in higher quality clothing and more intricately designed armor approached Lord Li. He appeared to be higher-ranking than anyone else in the square.

"Shall I escort you to Earl Shi, my lord." the captain saluted Lord Li as he questioned. "He is expecting you for the luncheon."

"This man will also be coming with me." Lord Li gestured up to agent Piao who was still sitting on his horse, though he quickly dismounted. "We must meet with him regarding a sensitive matter." Lord Li explained.

"Of course, my lord." the responded as he gestured for them to follow him. Leading up the stairs, they approach the main doors that leads instead the grand city lord's manor. The soldiers standing to the left and right of the ornate doors swiftly open them, stepping off to the side as they greet Lord Li with a hold fist salute. As Lord Li, Wu Yin, Wei Jie and agent Piao step into the room alongside the guiding captain, the soldiers close the doors once again. Slamming shut; a loud echo reverberates through the large room.

Long tables line the length of the room on the left and right, while a short table sits parallel with the doors that lead into the room. Throughout the room are numerous guards clad in light armor, spears in hand. Sitting at the short table at the back of the room is a large group of people; an older looking man, an older looking woman, and seven children. Each of them wears exquisite looking robes ranging greatly in color. While most of the children look to be in their teens, the last two look to be far younger.

While the children are being tended to by maids, quietly eating and speaking amongst one another, the older man and woman playful feed each other food and hand each other drinks. The man and woman alike have silver hair and aged appearance but have clearly not been slowed down by the ravages of time.

"My lord, Earl Shi." the captain speaks loudly as he kneels down several meters away from the table. Everyone at the short table immediately has their attention grabbed as they all look over at the guard. Though their attention was quickly diverted to Lord Li and his companions.

"You've returned from your hunt earlier than expected Jian Shu." Earl Shi remarked as he raised his teacup, taking a sip from it before setting back down on the table. "Has something happened, my friend?"

Though Lord Li seemed to hesitate for a moment, he needed before responding, "Yes, my lord, something has happened. If you would allow it, please clear the room of everyone aside from you, myself, and this man here." he gestured toward agent Piao.

"Everyone, leave." Earl Shi ordered with a stern voice as he rose to his feet. Everyone bowed their heads as they saluted Earl Shi before leaving the great hall. Soon enough, only Lord Li, agent Piao, and Earl Shi remained in the room.

"Allow me to introduce agent Piao." Lord Li started as he took a step back, while agent Piao took a step forward as he pulled something from his robes, removing the golden token with red tassels that bears the seal of the Imperial Clan.

"My lord." Earl Shi immediately moved to a knee as he bowed his head while putting his hands together in a hold fist salute. "What brings an agent of the emperor to this humble one's city?" Earl Shi questioned with his head bowed.

"Please stand, my lord." agent Piao spoke with a gentle voice. Earl Shi looked up at agent Piao for a moment as the man gestured for him to stand, doing so a moment later. "I have heard much about your accomplishments, my lord." agent Piao voice was filled with respect and admiration.

"I have only done what any noble in service to his majesty should do as their basic duty." Earl Shi responded with resolute, confident voice. "But please, tell me what I can do to help you, my lord."

Agent Piao subtly smiled before responding, "I have come to Kinman as the emperor's astrologers have predicted a cultivator of great power will awaken within this city."

"I see..." Earl Shi thought quietly for a moment before responding, "We will do our best to assist you in any way we can, though I'm unsure how we'll find the mother bearing such a blessed and well-fated child."

"It may be simpler than I originally thought." agent Piao remarked before continuing, "Young lord Li awakened his Origin Root when I encountered Lord Li and his hunting party." agent Piao quickly remarked. Earl Shi's eyes immediately went wide as he glanced over at Lord Li before looking back at agent Piao.

"Is Jian Shu's son, is Li Tao Cai the one you've come for?" Earl Shi questioned with surprised look on his face. "And how... how is it possible for a child to awaken their Origin Root?"

"While it is exceedingly rare, some are capable of awakening their Origin Root after birth under particular circumstances." agent Piao explained once again. However, before he could continue, Earl Shi began to speak again.

"This is truly a momentous occasion, a day to celebrate!" Earl Shi loudly exclaimed with a hearty laugh that echoed through the large room. "For your son to be chosen by the emperor!" He continued in excited jubilation.

"I am as of yet unsure if he's the one I've come for, Earl Shi." agent Piao quickly corrected the lord's mistake with his quick explanation. "First I must investigate his physique to determine if he's the one. If he's not, then our search must begin in earnest."

Earl Shi very quickly calmed down as he coughed into his hand. "Yes, of course. Of course." he cleared his throat as he continued, "I pledge to assist in finding the child you seek, should Li Tao Cai not be the one you've come for." Earl Shi put his hands into a hold fist salute as he bowed his head. Agent Piao quickly reciprocated in respect.

"Although, where is your son Jian Shu?" Earl Shi suddenly questioned as he looked around the room.

"The awakening of his Origin Root caused him great anguish, causing him to pass out in pain." Lord Li explained. "I've sent my men with one of your soldiers to find Chamberlain Yahui in order to prepare a room for Tao Cai to temporarily recover in."

Earl Shi nodded in approval as he responded, "Perhaps you should go check on Tao Cai, and make sure he is in good health."

"We were planning on making our way to him once our meeting with you concluded. Though a man from Lord Li's retinue has yet to come it seems." agent Piao responded as he looked toward the doors on both sides of the room.

"The luncheon can wait until your son is in better health, my friend." Earl Shi laid a reassuring hand on Lord Li's shoulder with a quick nod. Lord Li smiled in return, following to his knees as he kowtowed before Earl Shi.

"I cannot thank you enough for your support." Lord Li thanked him deeply as he remained on the ground for several moments. One of the doors on the side of the room suddenly opened as a pair of Lord Li's guards stepped into the room, kneeling before Earl Shi and putting their hands together into hold fist salutes.

"We greet Earl Shi." the two men spoke in unison. Earl Shi bowed his head in response. "Lord Li, when you're ready, we can escort you to the young lord."

"You should go on ahead to your son, I have much to discuss with this Earl Shi." agent Piao spoke up among the silence.

"Indeed, please go check on your son." Earl Shi affirmed agent Piao's remark. Lord Li slowly climbed to his feet in response.

"Then I shall go ahead, my lords." Lord Li offered a salute before turning about and heading toward his men. "One of you is to go get Wu Yin and Wei Jie." Lord Li order as he pointed at the door across the great hall. One of the guards bows, making their way across the great hall as Lord Li enters through the doors before him alongside the other guard. They quickly guide him through the corridors as maids and servants bow at his passing, and soldiers guarding the mansion offer their salutes.

The corridors are decorated with intricate and beautiful tapestries and statues, as well as precisely crafted pottery and ceramics. Eventually they come upon another large open room. Several of Lord Li's guards stand outside of the doors within the room, immediately moving into hold fist salutes as he approaches. Getting closer, they open the doors for him, closing them behind him.

As he enters the room, he steps into a small sitting area, with a small study through a door on the left, and another set of double doors on the other side of the sitting area. The room is filled with several guards, each of whom immediately offer a salute to Lord Li. As he walks through, men close to the set of double doors quickly open them, allowing Lord Li to step into the bed chamber before they close the doors behind him.

Tao Cai is laid in a large bed quietly snoring, Ao Jīn standing quietly at his bedside. To the right of the bed is a wall of moveable panels that open out onto a balcony that looks into the manor gardens. As Lord Li enters, Ao Jīn immediately kneels.

"My lord." Ao Jīn spoke quietly as he remained kneeling. "The young lord has been in fine health since we arrived, even slightly better from when we were riding back. He's looked blissful since arrived, free of pain or discomfort." Ao Jīn explained with a relieved sounding voice. As Lord Li nods in silence, acknowledging Ao Jīn's explanation, he sits at the bedside of his son.

"Very good, you may leave for the time being." Lord Li commanded with a soft voice. Ao Jīn immediately clasped his hands into hold fist salute before leaving, closing the doors behind himself.

Sitting there quietly, he gently grabs his son's small hand in his own, holding them for a moment before bending over, touching his head to them as he closes his eyes. "I'm so relieved that you're okay." Lord Li spoke softly, his voice filled with both grief and happiness. Tenderly placing his hands back at his sides, he sits back in his chair.

"I can't believe my son is a cultivator." Lord Li quietly spoke to himself. "But what will happen to you if you are the one agent Piao came for?" Lord Li seemed conflicted as he questioned himself, filled with worry.

Lord Li sits in the room along with Tao Cai for a time until a gentle knock finally comes at the door. It slowly opened a moment later, agent Piao stepping into the room.

"How is he?" agent Piao questioned Lord Li gently as he sat at the side of the bed across from him.

"Better than when we were travelling." Lord Li remarked. "Ao Jīn said he was in no pain and wasn't experiencing any discomfort."

"I'm pleased to hear so." agent Piao responded simply as he sat in silence for a moment. "I will begin investigating the boy's physique immediately." he suddenly continued bluntly. Though Lord Li looked away for a moment, but soon turned to face agent Piao once again, nodding as he gently grabbed his son's hand for a moment before stepping back.

Agent Piao nodded back as he stood up, placing one hand on Tao Cai's stomach, while placing his other atop Tao Cai's right hand. He soon closed his eyes, concentrating on delving into the boy's soul, touching deep into his Origin Root as he used his own Qi to investigate his body and mind. As he inspected the boy, he began to feel a dark and ominous aura emanating from him. Not made up of a single energy, however, but rather two distinct energies. After two incense sticks worth of time, agent Piao's eyes suddenly open as he removed his hands from the boy's body.

"While your son's physique is truly incredible, I can confirm with certainty that he is not the one his majesty sent me to receive." agent Piao sat back down, sounding rather disappointed. Lord Li on the other hand could only have an expression of pure relief and joy displayed across his face. Although other thoughts soon came to his mind.

"What do you mean my son's physique is incredible?" Lord Li questioned as he approached agent Piao, sitting down close to him.

"Your son possesses a twin physique, a very rare trait among cultivators." agent Piao explained as he turned in his chair to face Lord Li directly. "Specifically... he possesses what is known as the Twins of Death and Undeath physique." agent Piao quickly continued. "It is a physique which utilizes dark Qi, also known as Necromantic Qi, and one that possesses an even darker past."

"What do you mean?" Lord Li's concern was evident as he questioned agent Piao.

"Only a handful of cultivators throughout the history of our Xian Empire are known to have possessed this physique." agent Piao explained with a stern voice and serious expression. "Each are known today as extremely deadly warriors, but also as infamous murderers, necromancers, and necrophiliacs." he quickly continued. "One of them even formed a dark sect, known today as the Darkblood Gate. They're said to reside in the Hangzhou Mountains."

As agent Piao explained the history, a horrified look slowly crept across his face with each word spoken. "What is going to happen to my son!" Lord Li suddenly screamed with anguish clear in his voice. As he looks upon Lord Li, agent Piao seems conflicted for a moment before shaking his head.

"While I would like to say proper guidance can solve this, I'm afraid it cannot." agent Piao explained quietly. "However, we can mitigate its dark influence over the boy through training him properly. At higher realms, he even be able to successfully suppress it." agent Piao continued. "Though his physique also explains how he had such a strong breakthrough in the clearing earlier even though he was just awakening."

"How is that, exactly." Lord Li questioned cautiously, now concerned of every word which agent Piao might speak next.

"During his awakening, he was surrounded by corpses. By energies of death." agent Piao clarified. "He must have absorbed all of that dark Qi during his awakening, and it may even be the reason his awakening began at all." agent Piao continued his explanation, intriguing himself with his own theory.

"Will he be affected by this?" Lord Li questioned, clearly concerned. "He absorbed dark Qi into his body!"

"We will have to monitor him for a time." agent Piao quickly attempted to explain. "But, so long as he doesn't delve into the darkness of demonic techniques, I do not believe this will affect him harshly."

"Harshly?" Lord Li seemed devastated. "But this will affect him?"

"I cannot tell for sure." agent Piao seemed conflicted. "I think you should rest and worry about the future tomorrow. For now, I must speak with Earl Shi and begin my search for the child I was sent to find." agent Piao seemed to want to reassure Lord Li but knew there wasn't much to say. "However, when I leave for the capital, Li Tao Cai is free to accompany me. There is plenty of time, though, as I won't be leaving for at least another month, or until I find the child."

Lord Li seems surprised for a moment before lowering his head as agent Piao leaves the room, the doors being closed behind him by the guards standing out in the sitting area. "I forgot." Lord Li remarked to himself. "Perhaps going to the royal academy would be better for you, my son. To be with other children who have awakened their Origin Roots, and teachers who can guide you through this terrifying time." Lord Li softly mumbled to himself as he sat there, putting his head in his hands as he contemplated the future.

"What should I do?"

0