Chapter 1: Unfamiliar (Age 9)
1.4k 6 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Waking up to an unfamiliar ceiling, I find myself laying on top of a large and soft bed within a very luxurious-looking room.

Ack!”

When I tried to lift my body off the bed, a sharp pain suddenly pricked through my lower abdomen.

I lifted my shirt in order to take a look only to see that I was wrapped up in bandages.

I could feel the traces of stitches under the bandage.

"Was I perhaps stabbed?...but-"

“Master!”, a voice suddenly called out.

When I looked at the direction where the voice came from, a young woman wearing a maid-like uniform entered my sights. She seemed surprised to see me, as was I of her.

“Um…”

Though it was difficult to speak due to having a dry throat, I still tried to call out to her but before I could even say something, she immediately fled out of the room and rushed off somewhere.

I was left dumbfounded for a moment but then quickly gathered my thoughts and recalled what happened.

"…I remember that I was on my way home from school. That I was supposed to stop by the convenience store to buy the magazine that my sister asked me to buy. When I was crossing the street, I was suddenly struck by a truck that ignored the stoplight… Why can’t I remember useful things like the name of my sister or myself!?"

Who is this sister? I can’t remember her or my own name but I can somehow still remember things that I did before or how my life was like previously. I have also a clear understanding that this is not my original body.

In the one in my memories, I am a young man in my late teens with a height of 173 cm. I'm also pretty sure that I had black hair and hazel-colored eyes, but from what I can see from the hand mirror next to my bed, I have long blonde hair and jade-colored eyes. My age seems to also be that of a child's.

The features of my face is very androgynous that I could pass myself off as a girl, but I am clearly a boy from the feeling between my legs.

"Is this what’s called ‘transmigration’? Did I enter this body when my original one died? But what about the original owner of this body?"

“Yuriel!”

Just as I was inspecting my current self, the door suddenly swung open and I was suddenly embraced between two soft objects.

“My dear boy! I’m so glad that you have woken up!”

By the sensation that I’m feeling, I’m being hugged by a woman. I don’t recognize her voice but it does have a very calming effect on me.

“Calm down, Mari. Yuriel had just woken up and is still weak”

I heard another voice. It was deep and gentle-like.

I think I’ve heard this voice before.

“...”

Being released, I was finally able to see the faces of the people in front of me.

One was a very handsome man with clear silvery-white hair. He wore very formal clothing that was neither gaudy nor too plain. His sharp eyes made him look strict but also somewhat gentle as well.

The one that tightly hugged me a moment ago was a very beautiful woman with long straight blonde hair, she looks really young but I have this feeling that she is not as young as she looks.

There are other people in the room as well but it appears that my eyesight is not that good to properly make out their appearances.

“How are you feeling, Yuriel?”

The man asks me calmly, a tint of worry could be seen on his face.

“Um…”

Seeing me having trouble speaking, the woman handed me a cup of water.

I politely take the cup and drank its contents. My throat felt better so she then asked me again to which I uneasily spoke.

“Um…”

“Yes? What is it, dear?”

The woman asks me worriedly her hand tighly holding on to mine.

“...Could I please know who you are?”

I decided to ask since no memory surfaces no matter how hard I tried.

“D-Doctor!”

Surprised by my words, the woman suddenly made an expression of despair as she looks at the person that appears to be an elderly man standing beside the door.

"Please stand aside, madam"

The elderly man then approaches me while looking intently at my face.

We stared at each other for a while. Even though I was confused as to why we were staring at each other, I didn’t break eye-contact with him.

After staring at my face for who knows how long, he started speaking with a troubled tone.

“...Forgive me, Your Graces. It would appear that the young master has lost some of his memories. The test that I have run just now had shown that there is no problem with neither his body nor his mind. This may be a factor outside of those two, so I could only provide speculations. Forgive me for being unable to give a clear answer”

Hearing the elderly man’s words, the woman’s eyes started to well up with tears as she gazed towards me.

“T-That cannot be”, she spoke in disbelief.

“...Mari”, even the man that stood near her couldn’t help but show a bitter expression. “…If even the best healing doctor of the kingdom finds it difficult, then we have no choice but to accept it... You may return for today, doctor. We will call you again if Yuriel’s condition shows any changes”

"As you wish"

It seems like he doesn’t know what’s happening as well but I simply can’t say that I am not the person that they think I am.

After waving his hand towards the doctor, the doctor was escorted out of the room by another woman that wore a maid-like uniform.

“M-My child…My dear child… Do you not remember me!? I am your mother, Marietta, this is your father, Simon. Do you not remember us?”

The woman begins to hug me tightly, as she wept and while trying to introduce herself and the man standing behind her.

I don’t really understand what had happened but I ignored that for a moment and hugged her in order to calm her.

“I don’t really understand but please don’t cry”

I tried to voice it as gently as I could, but it simply resulted in her hug growing tighter.

From what I can understand right now, this person seems to be my mother and the man that now has a very bitter look on his face, is my father.

These people seem to care for me (or the person that originally owned this body) rather deeply.

After a while, the woman- I mean mother, stopped crying and asked me to rest.

She and father left the room shortly after while telling me to take it easy.

Currently, I am alone in the room, save for the maid that first found me awake.

“Do you require something, young master?”, she asks me as she assists in placing a pillow on my back.

“Um…Did I wear something for my eyes? I can’t seem to be able to see properly”

She seems to have immediately understood what I wanted, as she immediately walked towards the dresser beside my bed.

“Here you are, young master. The master has already requested for a replacement as your previous ones broke. Please forgive me but you will have to settle for this at the moment”

She hands me a pair of glasses that were slightly cracked on one of its lenses.

“Thank you”

She suddenly paused for a moment while staring at my face with a dumbfounded look.

“...

For some reason, her eyes were now slightly moist as well and she is somewhat suppressing herself from crying.

“Um, is there something wrong?”

”N-No. Forgive me for showing such a sight. I became rather emotional from suddenly being thanked by young master”

“Eh?”

Does she mean that this is the first time that I thanked her?

“Eto…Can you tell me your name?”

“You have given me the name, Claire”

I gave her?

More questions entered my thoughts because of her words.

“Um, Claire…was it? Can you tell me about myself? Also about what happened to me? I really can't seem to remember anything”

I decided to ask Claire about the identity of the person that I am now am.

I need information of who I am if I’m going to be living in this person’s body after all.

“Understood….”

After listening to her for a while, I understood some things about me and about my family.

My name is Yuriel Northe, 9 years old and the youngest child of Simon and Marietta Northe. My family is of a Duke rank nobility and father also works as this country’s prime minister.

I have three other siblings, two are twin girls that are a year older than me and an elder brother who’s four years older that’s currently boarding at an academy.

Apparently my sister weren’t being allowed to see me due to my condition while my elder brother still hasn’t known of what happened to me since information would take months before it arrives to him.

She then explained to me about my previous personality...And I must say that Yuriel was a rather difficult child.

Due to being sheltered by both my/his parents and my/his siblings, Yuriel grew to be a very shy and quiet child. Yuriel hardly separated himself from his parents or siblings and have never accepted any invitation from other noble children. Frankly speaking, Yuriel's reputation among other noble children is not that good due to his lack of socializing.

Claire, who seems to be the only servant I am fine being with, is a slave that my grandfather gifted to me on my 7th birthday. The reason for why she was given to me was because of her unique trait of having reptile-like scales on her arms and cheeks that she inherited from her ancestors, the dragonkin. She seems to also be adept in combat, so aside from being my maid she is also my bodyguard.

As to what happened to me to end up like this, there seems to have been an incident that endangered my life when I was out in town with father.

There was an assailant that was originally aiming for father’s life but when they found that father's security was too dense, they switched their attention over to me because I was separated due to the commotion. That was the only time that Claire wasn’t with me, so I was dragged into the situation and unfortunately got harmed.

Being the prime minister, father has a number of enemies that want him dead. Even if they wanted to interrogate the man that attacked us, they couldn’t do so as the person immediately committed suicide as soon as they were captured by the guards.

The matter about my incident is being heavily investigated with grandfather spearheading the investigation.

It seems like my grandfather is the head of this country’s knights.

It has already been three days since then and I only woke up just a few moments ago.

“Please try to rest now. This Claire will stay with you until you fall asleep”

As soon as she finished speaking, Claire took of my glasses and helped me lay down.

"La la lala la~ la la la laa~" 

Hearing her melodic humming, my eyes grew heavier by tue second. I had just woken up not too long ago and yet...yawn~

As my mind drifted of to sleep, thoughts of what will happen from now on passed my mind but it then quickly faded.

20