Chapter 6: The Family of Simon Northe
1.2k 8 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
First off, I'm really REALLY sorry for this late chapter. There has been a lot of stuff at work that made it really difficult for me to find time to write (who knew!?). I don't think this will be proper atonement but here's a chapter in the point of view of Yuriel's father, Simon...

Also please take note that I change the royal academy that I mentioned in chapter 4 into the Academic City of Laurel. That was a mistake that I didn't notice until a few weeks ago.

Anyway! Enjoy~ :)

My name is Simon Northe. I am the current head of the Northe Ducal house, as well as the kingdom of Centra's prime minister.

Though some people may say that I obtained this important position due to my father being a war hero of this country, I would like to correct them by showing the achievements that I have gained in order to obtain this the position.

As someone that holds the role of prime minister, I make sure that the different departments of the kingdom are functioning as they should, as well as being a council to His Majesty when important decisions must be made. 

I have many other roles; officially speaking, but my actual job is making sure that His Majesty is doing his job as the king rather than squandering his time, pummeling the knights to the point that they are barely conscious, just because he wants to exercise. I received several complaints from the different knight captains, begging me to do something about His Majesty's violence.

Moving on...When I do not have work, I spend my time relaxing at home with my family.

I fear that they would become distant towards me; if I were to solely focus on my job, so I try to spend as much time as I can with them.

My beloved wife, Marietta, says that I should not worry so much but I cannot help it. Since I have a face that one would akin to a strict and cold person, it becomes difficult for others to act normally around my presence.

I heard from my subordinates that some nobles and servants have been calling me the "Prime Minister of Ice" for some time now.

The title does not have anything to do with my specialty in Frost Magic, but instead, highlights my 'cold' demeanor and how I appear to be someone that is hard to approach.

I do not care if they simply think that I am unapproachable but it does trouble me that my title includes unscrupulous rumors.

I would have preferred if they focused on their duties more, rather than gossiping about people that they do not even talk to.

Moving back to the topic of my family, I have four beautiful children that I treasure dearly, as well as a wife that I am very blessed to have been married to.

Firstly, my eldest son is currently studying within the academic city of Laurel. 

As he will inherit the house of Northe once he is ready, there is a need for him to be able to learn as much as he can in order to fulfill his future duties as the head.

It will also do him good if he is able to create good connections with people from distinguished backgrounds in order for him to have lesser difficulties in the future.

Next are my twin daughters, Mary and Marie.

Mary, the eldest of the twins, is the very outgoing type of girl. She excels in swordplay due to her admiration towards her grandfather.

If she continues her training in a few years time, she may even qualify as a member of the Red Dragon Knight Corp; or so that is what father says.

She does not neglect her duties as a noble, especially when she is present among other aristocrats. Exuding an air of nobility and grace, Mary is quite popular among many children, but if one were to provoke her, she will not hesitate to use physical actions.

On the other-hand, Marie is the kind that dislikes fighting but that is not to say that she will simply stand by idly as a fight is in front of her, she is actual quite strong in bare-handed combat, especially with the gauntlets that is her favorite weapons.

Rather than an interest in the art of battle like her older twin, increasing her knowledge appeals much more. I believe that a large number of books in our house's study has already been thoroughly studied by her, it is merely a matter of time when even the royal library becomes her next target.

She has potential in being a academic scholar but that is up for her to decide.

As their father, I am quite pleased that they are growing up to be quite the beauties much like their mother, but it does worry me that their beauty has been attracting troublesome suitors.

Just this month alone, I have received a considerable amount of letters from many noble and distinguished merchant houses, appealing for the chance of having their sons obtain their hands in marriage.

That in itself should not have been a problem as it is normal for any high-ranking noble house. The troubling part is that a third of those letters are from men that are much, much older than the. Some were even old enough to be their fathers and grandfathers.

Fortunately, even if those suitors were to showcase their wealth or prestige to me, it is completely useless as Mary and Marie are the ones that will make that choice. 

It is our family's rule that the children are free to choose whoever they wish to marry after all. And this rule has existed since the time of the first head, so it is a much honored and protected rule.

Finally, there is my youngest child, Yuriel.

Prior to losing his memories, Yuriel had been quite the solitary child.

He refused to leave the confines of our residence, no matter how much we try to convince him.

He'd refuse any invitation sent to him by other noble families, and even loathed the idea of socializing with any other person outside our family. The only other people outside of our family that he did not have any objections interacting with are his maid, Claire, and Her Highness, Princess Charlotte. Other than those two, he would usually speak to them with eyes like that of a dead fish, right before making an excuse to leave the venue.

Even if he did wish to leave the residence out of his own will, it was in order to study how I handled my work.

There was always a sense wanting to prove something from him, leaving him to be quite the mysterious child that we couldn't figure out.

Among my family, Yuriel has and always will be, our most treasured individual. Every one of us care for him like he was some sort of fragile object. 

This may have contributed to his antisocial behavior but we have our own reasons for acting this way.

When he was born, Yuriel had more mana than what a normal infant's body could contain.

This excess caused his body to act erratically, to which it affected him heavily.

He would frequently have high fevers that would take days to subside.

His mana would sometimes discharge and cause his surroundings to be disrupted.

Often times, he would even hurt himself and those around him whenever his mana goes out of control.

During those times, I had considered killing the infant Yuriel to put him out of his torturous condition, but no matter how many times I try, I simply could not find the strength to take away his life.

I turned to many specialists, consulted and listened to their suggestions in order to cure or at the very least; lessen his pain. It angered me whenever a suggestion of sealing him inside of a special room would come up.

In the end, our family agreed on having high-class magic seal placed on Yuriel's back.

The seal would transfer a considerable amount of the mana that Yuriel's body produces towards a large mana tank that is kept securely inside of the royal castle. 

The fact that the mana transfered to the mana tank is being used to power the barrier that protects the royal castle while we conserve on cost of using mana crystals, is the kingdom's secret known to only a few trusted individuals.

....This past few days, Yuriel has changed drastically.

The former solitary child that kept to himself was no more.

It is as though, a brand new person has taken over his place.

His sociability has improved greatly, his relationship with the princess has taken a positive turn, and though it is not that frequent, he is leaving the residence out of his own volition.

These are not a bad changes per se, but the changed Yuriel is...... difficult to understand.

One of the changes that was most noticeable is in his intellect.

Though the former Yuriel was already quite the brilliant child, his current self seems to have unlocked even higher lengths of knowledge.

For example; the agricultural suggestion that he had told to me before has already shown budding results. The reports mentioned that it will take some time to see physical results, but seeing how the planted crops had already budded earlier than what was initially expected, Yuriel's idea was already proving its worth.

Moving onward, there is the matter of his intellect. After losing his memories, Yuriel seemed to have lost a great amount of knowledge about this world.

Because it is important for a noble child to know as much as they can in order to survive in this world, I hired a tutor in order to regain the knowledge that he had lost.

Surprisingly, it only took mere days for Yuriel to grasp most of his subjects. Though he had difficulty with history and etiquette subjects, his ability to learn the others was faster than how it originally was.

His magic lessons has yet to show results but seeing how his tutor had energetically informed me of his talents, it would merely a matter of time.

Finally; and quite surprisingly, there is his culinary knowledge. Dishes that have never been served in our family, nor in any restaurant that we have been to, were suddenly appearing on our table.

When I called the head chef in order to learn as to where the new dishes came from, I was informed that all of them were suggested by Yuriel himself.

Not once did Yuriel step inside our residence's kitchen and yet, dishes that we have never seen before had been popping up one after the other.

It was a mystery as to where he learned such things, and even when questioned, he simply answers with an unsure tone.

Because of how different Yuriel has become, I am starting to wonder what kind of future he will encounter.

"Father, I made a new pastry that goes well with tea. Would you like to join us?"

"Ah! It should be fine to take a break now, I will join you. Did you remember to invite your mother as well?"

"Yes~"

No matter. Whatever it is that Yuriel becomes in the future, I will support him with everything that I have.

"Yuri~!"

"Let's eat that pie that you made!"

I trust my family, and those that hold him dear, to make sure that he won't stray from the right path.

"Now, now, there is no need to be so excited. I am sure that Yuriel has made enough to satisfy the both of you"

Looking at the smiling faces of my children, I hope in my heart that the goddess bestows her blessings upon them. To make sure that they will never face dangers in their life.


In the tales of old that were passed down by the gods themselves, there was once a god that left the heavens in order to be with the mortals that walked the earth.

This god originally lived his existence as one that destroys, but he did not want to be known as only as being of destruction. He believed that being an entity that destroys was wrong as observing fits his hobbies more.

He hated the thought of taking the lives of innocent mortals, so he cast aside his duties and lowered himself to be with mortals.

He did not care what others thought of him.

He did not care that he threw away his status in order to be among those who's lifespan was far shorter than his own.

He was content on simply being among the mortals, watching how they lived their lives out of their own free will.

The other gods simply looked at him like he was some sort of fool, but he did not care for their mockery.

His joy lied not in being worshiped or by feeling the he was of the superior race, but by simply witnessing how those with fleeting lives lived on their own.

As thousands of years passed and many civilizations come and gone, the god left the world of mortals that he originally resided in, but he did not return to the plane of gods.

The god decided that he wanted to travel to the distant worlds were other mortals lived.

He had met, loved, and even hated many people throughout all of his travels, but he still enjoyed his experiences nonetheless.

He also befriended and acquainted himself with many of the gods of those different worlds.

Eventually, the god grew tired of living an ageless life.

Seeing the deaths of those he loved took too much of a toll to his mind.

He pleaded to the god of death and the god of creation; the two gods that existed even before any of the other gods did, to take away his godhood, to make his being a mortal that knows death.

The two gods contemplated on the god's unusual wish, but in the end, they granted his desire.

His immortality was no more.

His essence turned into that of a mortals spec in the vast sea of souls.

The former god lived his life, in a world far from the world that he first attained consciousness.

He married a woman that captivated his heart, had children that he treasured dearly, grew old as a mere farmer who owned a small plot of land, and died as a beloved husband, father, and grandfather.

Though life was not as easy as a mortal, he did not regret his choice, he thanked the two gods that gave to him what he desired.

Even as his eyes slowly closed, a smiled spread across his face.

Only in living a mortal life, did he truly feel like he was complete.

One could only imagine what sort of life this former god is living now.... but knowing him, that idiot is having fun in whatever kind of life he is currently living.

12