Chapter 143 – Ominous Clouds
825 1 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

At the bottom of the screen, the group could see the title of the news in big letters.

‘Government announces the existence of superpowers.’

With the exception of Alice, the rest of the group could not help but change their expressions.

On the tv, they could see a reporter using a serious face to describe the news. She was speaking calmly, but anybody could see the bizarre expression on her face.

Aleen changed the channel, but another reporter was speaking there too. He changed again, and this time it was a news program showing images of someone using his superpowers in some country. Except for a few television channels, news of superpowers could be seen everywhere.

‘Yesterday night, more than twenty governments in the world announced the existence of superpowers. According to them, it’s related to the message that appeared more three months ago in all the electronic devices. We still don’t know the details of the situation, but the prime minister announced that the UN will be making public the details tomorrow. We don’t know…

‘Until now, we have confirmed the existence of 25 superpower wielders around the world. According to the UN, the actual number could surpass one thousand…

‘Many experts fear the changes that superpowers can bring to the earth. According to them, if this situation is not handled correctly, it can become the trigger that unleashes a new world war…

‘Some countries show signals of unrest. In Argentina, twenty-five people were killed when they…

‘Many people feel fear for their safety after learning about the existence of superpowers. Now that some people possess abilities beyond humans, they fear that some of them will try to use those abilities to commit crimes...

‘In Canada, a child used his hands to stop a car moving at around 60Km/h. The incident caused fear and astonishment in the country. Currently, the Canadian government…

‘Multiple protests happened in tens of cities around the world. They accuse the government of hiding information purposefully and trying to…

‘According to unofficial sources, the number of deaths caused by superpowers during the last two months surpasses fifty. They occurred in different…

‘What is Dimensional Paradise? There is a rumor that this place is directly related to the superpowers that…’

After watching all that news, Aleen turned the tv off.

“I did not expect that the world’s governments would act so fast.” Aleen sighed.

Alice shook her head. “It was not fast enough. If they would have done it at least one month before, then many deaths could have been avoided. Although, looking at it from another perspective, now that superpowers are no longer hidden, chaos is about to begin.”

“… What do you mean?”

“You only need to think a little bit to understand.” Alice looked at the three of them carefully. “Think about it, now that many people have superpowers, some of them will not be resigned to continue living like before. A kid being bullied will try to use his powers to attack his bullies, an office worker can use his powers against his boss in a moment of rage, a beggar will try to use his powers to steal for food, a wife that caught his husband cheating can burn him in rage, and someone betrayed will try to enact revenge.”

A heavy silence hung in the living room after Alice spoke.

“Things could not be so bad, right?” Claire asked timidly.

Alice shook her head with a self-deprecating smile. “It will be worse. I’m a seer, so I can get a glimpse of the future. And believe me, it will be worse than you think.

“Moreover, although people knowing about superpowers and Dimensional Paradise can help to reduce the number of casualties in the games drastically, it will also increase the number of superpower wielders. Many people will actively try to get superpowers now they know they exist, and some of them will succeed. It, in exchange, will contribute to the future chaos, creating so a vicious circle.”

Aleen's expression turned grave. He could imagine the future that Alice was describing, and if things turned as she said, then the future seemed grim.

'That is the reason I need your help.' Alice thought to herself while looking at Aleen at the others.

“You said you came here to bring me information about something, what is the information?” Aleen asked.

Alice stared intently at Aleen. She then narrowed her eyes and opened her lips. “More than information, it’s more like a piece of advice. Mr. Lightning, Miss Phoenix, Miss Cat, no matter what, it’s better if you keep your identities secret. Even if revealing your identity looks appealing, it will be detrimental in the long run unless you are powerful enough to don't fear anyone on earth.”

Aleen wrinkled his brows, but he nodded. Claire and Aya nodded after him.

Alice smiled sweetly and grabbed the hem of her dress. “Please, keep my words in mind in the future, I assure you it will be beneficial. By the way, miss Phoenix, I have another advice for you.” Alice then stared at Claire. “Your next choice will determine if you are going to protect your most beloved in the future, or be protected by him forever.”

“Huh? Choice?” Claire tilted her head.

“You will understand when the time comes.” Alice smiled mysteriously. She then spun happily and put her hands behind her back. “Well, it’s time for me to go. I don’t want to meet the person is coming, so it’s better If I leave now. Bye bye!” Alice then winked mischievously and disappeared.

Aleen and the others were dumbfounded. Even until now, Claire and Aya did not know Alice’s identity; and Aleen, on the other hand, was uncertain about her goals.

Until now, though, she did not try to harm them.

Aleen was about to explain to the girls about Alice, but when he opened his mouth, the doorbell ringed.

The group put on startled expressions. Thinking about it, Alice said she did not want to meet the person that is coming.

With a curious expression, Aleen walked towards the door and asked with a wary look.

“Who is it?”

Instantly, a business-like voice sounded from the other side of the door.

“Mr. Aleen, it’s me.”

Aleen instantly recognized the owner of that voice.

It was the gray-haired staff member of Dimensional Paradise, Leona.

We are just two chapters away the end of this arc...

If you like this story and want to support me, you can do it on patreon.com/dimensionalparadise and read until ten chapters ahead. I appreciate each pledge very much...

15