Step 6 – Stop and reflect
1.1k 7 66
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I felt a sudden jolt of energy run through my body, something like when you suddenly wake up in the middle of the night, almost exactly like that, the only difference was that when I opened my eyes it was already morning.

My mind was racing to catch up to what was happening, after looking around I noticed I was still in Kathie’s house, I felt a weight lift off my chest, I was happy to still be here.

I thought back on yesterday, it was an explosion of emotion like no other day, but it was overall a lot of positive ones, I am sure I would have a lot of good memories from here when I went back home, memories like how cute Kathie looked when she was flustered, how adorable she was when she was puffing her chest while looking smug, and how soft her hands were…

I felt my face burn as I remembered yesterday’s last waking hours, what I was even thinking! Of course, it isn’t love! Two girls can’t be all lovey-dovey and act like a couple!

Or maybe they can… The image of me and Kathie acting like a cute couple and kissing ran through my head, it was too much! I buried my head in the pillow to muffle the scream that I couldn’t hold inside me anymore.

“Oriel…”

Her small voice came from behind me. The sudden realization that she might have watched me do it made me blush even more than before. I wanted to dig a hole in the ground and bury my head in there.

I held the pillow against my head with all my power, but I forgot to account for the fact that she was stronger than me, I was suddenly facing up and her face was close to mine, I froze, I could almost feel her breath hitting my face, my eyes were drawn to her lips.

They looked so soft…

“Are you feeling alright? Your face is so hot”

She put her small hand on my forehead, I forgot to breathe for as long as it remained there, my sense of time was lost, all I could think about was her.

I was brought back to my senses when she let go.

“I- I am alright…”

She tilted her head as if curious about my sudden behavior, she was so cute I almost couldn’t handle looking straight at her, but I also didn’t want to stop looking, I hid half my face with the blanket that covered me.

“I- I am just… hungry…”

She seemed to be satisfied with my made-up on the spot answer, she was so gullible I almost felt bad for doing it to her. 

She got up, and I finally noticed the cute apron she was using, it had a lot of cute bunnies sown into it, her childish look was shining through.

“Breakfast is ready, do you want me to bring it to you”

Her demeanor was that of a caring mother, I almost forgot to respond while looking at her.

“Don’t worry, you can go ahead and I will go eat with you”

Satisfied with my answer she went to the kitchen area, I felt somewhat relieved, but my problems wouldn’t end here. How could I look at her when I was such a mess, I didn’t want her to see me like this!

I got up and searched the area for a comb, I needed to remember how Shea used to do it. My palace education never prepared me for this!

              


 

I got myself together as best as I could, my limit was my hair though… I didn’t have any clothes with me. Checking myself again in the tiny mirror she left in her room, and after some deep breaths, I was ready to go.

It only took a few steps towards the door for me to regain my confidence, Ellen’s teachings weren’t all for nothing, I was ready to not let this witch win! Whatever win meant right now, I would get the upper hand on her no matter what!

I stopped myself before going through it, I needed to scout the premises, to understand the battlefield before going to engage in the battle.

Her cute apron was now hanging at the back of a chair, she was sitting at the table, a piece of what looked like cherry pie in front of her, it looked so tasty…

Stop Ori! Now is not the time to let my stomach control me!

I continued to look at the battlefield, now every second counted, I had already taken too long, she looked a little bit anxious. I can’t let her wait for too much longer, she might even notice me peeping.

The last thing to catch my eye was a pile of blankets in the corner, so she slept there, I felt bad for getting her bed to myself, even though I don’t remember how that happened. I wouldn’t mind sharing it with her… I could feel my face burning again, I pinched myself, now is not the time to lose control again!

I took a long breath, there is no going back when I cross this door, it is now or never. I walked through the door with confidence, the battle was about to begin, and I was ready for it.

She noticed me entering the room, her anxious look was changed for a happy one, I was ready to raise the white flag already…

“I made this pie with wild cherries I got in the forest, I am not a royal cook but I hope you like it”

She was smiling but I noticed how expectant she looked. I guess it fell on me to judge her cooking, the cookies yesterday were really good so I have high expectations, I might even get to use it as an advantage…

I sat down opposite her, she quickly offered me a plate with a piece of the pie, it looked amazing!

I used the fork she left on the table for me to take a piece out of it, the vibrant red of the cherries was different from the ones I had seen before, maybe the wild cherries were different from the ones I ate at home.

Her eyes were glued to me as I took that first bite to my mouth.

I had never tasted anything so refreshing in my life, the sweet goodness filled my mouth and I couldn’t hold my words to myself.

“This is amazing!”

Her smile brightened up.

“I am glad you enjoyed it~”

She somehow managed to look even cuter than before, I couldn’t stop my hand from feeding me more and more of that pie, and my mouth couldn’t stop saying good things about it.

I will consider it a tie today…

Wait a second, did she put some sort of potion in the pie to make me like it this much!?

66