Chapter 29: Rush Dive [2]
3.5k 7 124
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was early in the morning, right before the sun had risen. The air was a little cold and it was little misty.

A gathering of first years could be seen at the entrance of the labyrinth hub of the academy.

As morning dawned on the first day of the announced rush dive test, all of the students had prepared beforehand any equipment and materials they needed.

They also ensured that every member of their respective parties was on time because this test did exactly what it's name suggested it would examine.

A tense and thick air surrounded the area as they awaited their exploration instructor to show up.

Which should have been minutes ago considering that he himself said so weeks ago about proper punctuality.

Although the students that had known him for a brief while now should have known better to take him for his word.

A few more minutes passed until a loud yawn came from above. Everyone turned their head upwards as they saw Professor Ulden floating in the air.

His appearance was very sloppy and his hair was disheveled but he still had a frustratingly handsome face in spite of that.

One more thing to notice is that he clearly came to the gathering in his suit and his pajama pants.

"...Who the hell came up with this schedule?.." he said slightly iritated.

'You did!?' I inwardly screamed.

Everyone must have had the same thought as the look on their faces was filled with frustration and dissapointment.

As he floated down to the ground, he immediately scanned the class, verifying the attendance for the test.

"Seems like no one's late. We better get going. We only have a day"

Despite holding in our anger, the class proceeded inside the usual hub as we came face to face with the glowing entrance to the labyrinth once again.

Ulden coughed loudly to attract the attention of the class.

"I'm sure that all of you already know the mechanics of the rush dive test but for the sake of protocol, I'll just say it"

"Each students wether alone or in a party is free to explore the lower layers just for today without limits"

"Of course, one must keep in mind the time limit is one day only so by the time it reaches the limit, I'll have to forcibly send you all back in that instant. Look at your vraces when the test starts, it will keep you aware of the time left" Ulden added as he pointed at his vrace.

"Those are the only two things you must keep in mind during the test....and..."

He paused for a while as he scratched his chin until he had an ephipany of some sort.

"For those that are not aware, you won't start at the first layer, the labyrinth can instantly transport you to the 2nd layer if you wish to do so"

"However don't forget that going back is another matter altogether, it won't let you transport instantly to some layer you once cleared in a backward intention. The labyrinth isn't that kind of convenient place.." 

The class took his words seriously and not one of the students were surprised by the information that the professor had given out.

The nature of the labyrinth has long been studied and it shows that delvers can transport to layers they have cleared already.

However the same could not be recreated when a delver tries to transport back to a higher layer or even the exit.

If one did try, they would only find themselves in the previous layer that they had been on. This kind of mechanic of the labyrinth is one of the reasons why diving inside it is very risky and costly at the same time.

Delvers would have to exhaust more of their resources going back after their diving expedition which in most cases would either lead to bankruptcy or even worst, death.

In some sense, the labyrinth is literally setting you up for a deadly trap if you're unprepared or simply reckless.

Fortunately, there are ways to get around this problem. First, one could use external spatial items found in the labyrinth to secure their home trip.

It's also a saving grace that these kind of items pop out more frequently the lower the layers one goes.

The Alliance has already tried to replicate these items but garnering a power that the labyrinth itself created is not an easy feat to do except for some few very special people.

The second option would be to get the aide of a delver with spatial nature in one's party. This option is difficult to procure since the space nature is very rare.

'..He's unusually properly discussing things for once' I thought, not expecting a lecture from Ulden from all people.

From what he basically said, our lives were on his hands because he was the only one with teleportation skills in the academy that we know.

"....Well there's nothing else to say so let's get going. This time, all of you must go in inside at the same time. Once you're inside, the test will already have started"

Ulden then went inside nonchalantly aftrt leaving behind such parting words. 

Everyone stood there for a brief moment until a certain group rushed towards the entrance.

As they saw Brian's usual group enter the labyrinth, everyone immediately followed right after.

Bright lights momentarily flashed before my eyes like last time but this time, I had slightly became accustomed to the intense feeling while I thought of the second layer.

Opening my eyes, I quickly noticed that the other groups have set out just like Brian's party.

I observed each party that had come right after I entered the second layer and I was slightly surprised to see Amana and Sophia in a party together.

They were accompanied by another beastman and another elf as part of their party.

Although judging by how they didn't even wait for their party members to catch up to them told me that they reluctantly made that party just for the sake of the test.

'.....Well it's better this way since by having party member with them this time, it would hinder the movements of those assassins even if for a few minutes' I thought.

The fact that Amana had chosen to team up with someone makes me anxious a little because in the original story, she and Sophia never made a party like this time.

In turn, when they were attacked at the same time and at the same place as with the rest of the main cast, they were the first ones to be immobilized and almost killed by the assassins.

The worry of a ripple effect might also affect the outcome of the coming crises although I'm not sure whether it will have an effect nor do I know if such ripple effect will be beneficial or not.

Even the slight changes is making me anxious now because of all the altercations that has been happening around me lately.

'....I can't say the same for myself though' I mused, a wryly smile formed on my lips as I felt the stares of an annoying bunch behind my back.

"You're such a handful Ray! Did you really have to wait a whole week to join our party" Alice ridiculed me, a grin on her face as she slapped my back.

"....This violent woman.." I shot back but all I got in response was a knowing smirk.

"Hey Emily meet our new pathfinder, his eyes are going to come in handy"

"Alice, please control yourself and Ray...welcome to our party" Emily said as a beaming smile showed on her beautiful face.

"Yeah..."

'..Too bright..' I thought as I tried to lessen the effect of her smile on me.

"Ray I thought you weren't going to join us" Jun said as he stared right at me with focused eyes. He then moved closer to me as he whispered

"...What?" I mumbled.

"...Thank you man, I can't handle being the only guy in this party.." he said in a defeated tone as a grateful look was directed at me.

"...Dude, people would kill to be in your spot.." 

"...Huh? What do you mean?.." 

"....You're hopeless" I facepalmed.

"What?" he asked in confusion but I only brush it off.

Looking at the girls direction, I gave them a sorry look for this dense excuse of a protagonist.

'...Now that I'm not planning on interfering with Jun's love escapades anymore, the amount of girl's desperately vying for his attention is going to have a hell of a lot on their plate this time around' 

While I was lost in thought, Lily came to face me as she spoke.

"Welcome to the party, I hope you can help us as a pathfinder even if it's just for this test" she said in a formal tone.

'...That's more like it, everyone keeps forgetting my conditions' I thought relieved.

"The pleasure's mine and don't worry, that's the least of our problems anyway.."

"You're right the other parties is already ahead of us. Emily" she called out to the party leader.

Emily nodded as a tense air surrounded the party. Her eyes were laser focused as she looked at each of our eyes straight on.

"Let's do this guys"

""Yeah!"" Jun and Alice shouted as Lily and I just nodded in affirmation.

We immediately set out as a party even if my membership was just temporary.

124