Chapter 43: Library
2.3k 8 74
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Uvelia Grand Library, Second floor

The area was similar to the one on the first floor which made me reluctant in searching for that specific section.

Just by looking around me, I knew that it would at least a few hours for me to search around even after minimizing the scope of my search.

'...That [Recollect] skill is something else...' I pondered, amazed by the accuracy and utility of the librarian's skill.

Surprisingly there were students roaming around these parts, most of them were first years.

Some were just randomly scurrying around while others have organized study groups among themselves by the available study tables.

"..Dude, should we really be wasting our time like this?.."

"Just trust me man, at this point the only way we could pass is to find something like that.."

Two students argued while looking through the shelves.

"...Did you find any?.."

"No"

"...No.."

"Not here either.."

A group of girls checked the piles of books on their table.

'...I bet that most of these people are looking for the same thing as I am..'

These students wouldn't normally be in this kind of place if they have access to their vrace, the curriculum and other study materials are already readily available to all of us.

The only reason one would visit this place would be those that have the mage class or those that have caught a wind of the rumors regarding the type of skill book I'm trying to find.

As for the former reason, comprehension through tomes, book, and scriptures are necessary for mages to unlock and assimilate their respective classess in that category.

Research also shows that virtual information isn't a great material for the accumulation of experience or intelligence and wisdom for mages.

Originally even Ray from the canon had to force himself to bury his time in looking through every books concerning null spells.

Spells which were simple and straightforward in nature so it didn't take much for Ray to comprehend those type of things.

The downside with such easy to digest information for mages is that it only helps in strenghtening the skills but not the intelligence or wisdom stat as a whole.

Such is why, even for a mage, Ray still placed last. Most likely he had passed the magic courses but failed everything else due to ingrained early misconceptions during his stay within the Irisville main household.

It also didn't help that most question aside from magic related courses included subjects as Labyrinth History, Monster Anatomy, Skill Understanding, Class Composition, Lower Layers: Fundamentals, and other nonsense I as my current self can't even understand.

During the mock test that Vivian showed this early morning, I couldn't help but just look at it with a stupified look.

("Explain the maximum intensity and range of a [Fireball] casted with minor mana operation skill in hand?")

That was just one of the question about our Skill Understanding subjects.  

'..How in the world am I supposed to know?, even the original Ray only focused on null magic at best..'

Even when I look through my memories, all the things that were taught to me about those subjects were either lacking or wrong in the first place.

It was a pain trying to make sense of the lessons when the semester started becuase most of the things Ray knew didn't match what was taught in our subjects.

Even when I knew that it would eventually come to this situation, my efforts would still amount to zero since I was also preoccupied with labyrinth diving and acquiring materials and money.

The things I know from my original world only helps a miniscule amount when I try to study those bizarre concepts.

'..Like they say, you can't use what you don't have. Ray's memories regarding academics is unreliable..'

Thus it only leaves me to grasp a hope that might be possible for me to find.

Passing by those still gambling with their luck, I proceeded to find Section B-32.

-----

An hour has passed and I finally found Section B-32.

"...Yup all of this is about Mana Operation...Mana Operation: Primer, Starter, Basic.."

All sorts of books about that certain topic filled the long and tall shelves on that section but it wasn't the goal from the start.

Like in the novel, Jun only started from this section until it was described that he wandered around for three hours the whole afternoon.

Jun did that until he found a book with a blank cover like most skill books with low ranks would have.

The problem for me now is that it didn't specify in the story which section he found that skill book from.

Of all the things that I knew about the story, It couldn't even give me a freebie for this particular matter.

Checking if there was anyone near the place, I looked through each end of that Section.

"...So we're all clear.." I mumbled in relief.

Afterwards, I put on my goggles, hoping that my previous experiment last night will not fail me.

I also needed to be more discrete about this since people would accuse me of peeping inside the library.

It's something I wouldn't want to be added to my title.

That would make me look like am even worse pervert and deviant inside their heads. Although it's not something fatal, I would still prefer to minimize any damage to my already crap reputation.

"..Anyway..show up you stupid book. C'mon first try" I crossed my fingers.

'[Penetrating Gaze]'

My vision was instantly filled with the hollow structures of the walls and shelves. The books also became transparent and close to air to my eyes.

Adjusting my eyes to a suitable intensity, I controlled my penetaring gaze so that it would only see through those transparent books.

I then proceeded to walk around the section slowly, scrutinizing each and every book I come across.

After 15 minutes of searching, I deactivated my skill after feeling the usual side effect starting to assail me.

"..What the hell? this is going to be more troublesome than I thought.."

Looking at my progress, I'e only scanned a small portion of those shelves. There was still a lot more to check.

'...Well cheating has to come with a price I guess'

After resting a little bit I continued my search once again.

----

After 3 hours of searching, I feel like puking any time now.

"...Why do I have to abuse myself for the most mundane things, damn it.." I questioned while wiping away the sweat on my face.

Although I lowered the intensity of my skill, It still took a heavy toll on me to keep it up for 3 hours straight.

Looking at the large window, I could see that the sky is already starting to darken and that also means that the library is going to close anytime now.

Heaving a heavy sigh, I reluctantly decided to give it one last go.

With how much progress I had achieved, I think it would take a few more hours before I find the skill book.

And there's a few more things I need to be worrying about besides the academic part of the midterms.

Obviously, I already know what would happen on our coming practicals but I also know that most of it comes down to stupid luck.

The only thing I could do is train and master my skills for that matter.

"..But seriously, how much did that idiot wander around in the story?"

Even with the ground I covered today, it still wasn't enough. This makes it looks like I just wasted my time browsing around the library without even reading.

Not to mention, I was using my skills in conjunction. It would look like I was really up to something no good.

Shaking of my frustrations due to an unfruitful search, I proceeded to go further to the opposite end of this section

The library almost feels like it was abandoned, almost no student was left in this place which was good since I didn't have the energy to look out for someone anymore.

'..[Penetrating Gaze]..'

With the same intensity as before, I looked through the shelves once again only to find the sign I've been looking for all this time.

There was a book which only had one layer of a page despite the thickness of it's outlines.

There's a particular thing that differentiates normal books from skill books and that's due to the presence of mana.

I had already noticed this when I looked through the Irisville manual with my skill. 

Although it's still transparent, It's has an obvious mark where only one layer of a page could be seen despite it's actual size.

I'm not sure as to why but I concur that it's because most skill books are 'turned' into skills once it is opened or read unlike normal books.

Deactivating my innate skill as I went to the skill book's location, I quickly tried to check the skill book out.

However maybe because I was so concentrated on finding a small item, I did not notice a person also wandering around.

I then bumped into that person.

"Hey! watch where you're...going.."

"..Oh sorry....Ah" 

"....Irisville..."

"...."

I couldn't speak since I didn't expect to see her here. She was staring blankly at me as she had multiple books in her hands.

Of all the people I could bump into, Sophia Foxx had to be it.

74