Chapter 284: Truck from Another World
97 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

2 weeks later in northern part of Korcari Wilds.

Jet and Solon are two large men who fled from Olga territory to Hyuutia. For the past 1 month, they did various physical jobs throughout the region. 

Hezri Kingdom has been developing agricultural facilities in that region after all.

Recently, Hezri Kingdom is undergoing large scale timbering project in Korcari Wilds. 

Thousands of workers establish campsites there. 

Suddenly, these two former refugees were personally called by the king to be hired as drivers.

At first, they were shocked as they had no prior experience as with horses but they were extremely shocked when they first saw the vehicle they are supposed to drive. 

It is a long vehicle which they have never seen before in their entire life. It is even longer than any horse carriage they ever saw. It has spacious place at the back that could carry several large timbers. 

The peculiar thing is this cargo vehicle is not driven by horses.

The king, Hiro painstakingly taught them how to drive and maintain the vehicle. He called the horseless cargo as a truck and the truck runs on something called as fuel. 

He summoned many bottles of black oil out of thin air which he called them as fuels. 

He poured the fuel from bottles into a hole in the truck.

The large timber are carried by men onto the back of the truck before both of them take turn to drive the truck to various places within Hyuutia region.

The timbers are to be used to build houses and defensive walls separating Hyuutia from southern Dioral territories. 

Refugees have been made understood that the new kingdom exists in secrecy at the moment, and they are now preparing ways to establish borders so that they could deter invasion from neighbouring Dioral forces once kingdom declares openly its existence.

It’s getting more and more unreal.

Anyway, they have to accept the situation.

Now, they are currently driving through the forest at a speed slower than horse carriage carrying cargos. It's understandable though as the truck is carrying 3 massive timbers on its back, something even the best horse carriage can never do.

They have cleared trees to build a path from the area beside Fort Connor towards inner part of Korcari Wilds and not all trees on the path are cleared. 

“Hey, how much longer do we have to go before we hit the road?"

Jet asks while picking his nose.

Solon is silent.

"Anyway, can we go a little faster?” Jet asks again nonchalantly.

Solon who only knows his colleague when firstly introduced to this job, is annoyed.

Solon steps on the gas pedal and started driving down the path at about 30 kilometers per hour based on the velocity meter before him.

The king also thoroughly taught them on operating these machineries.

The truck is something durable four-wheel drive, as the king called, so it could handle the rough terrain without any problem. Now that Solin has a little more leeway, he steps on the gas a little more while chewing on a bread he has left on the passenger seat.

“We’ll be merging onto the meadow soon.”

Jet slaps the driver's shoulder and scolds,

"Hey, look there are trees in the middle of the path. Evade to the left."

This is troublesome as the trees are not cleared systematically that they have to maneuver this huge thing to avoid the trees that remain here and there.

"Hey, faster."

Solon accelerates as asked and proceeds up the slope at a brisk pace.

When they get to the meadow, we’ll take a break. There are a lot of things on his mind.

The moment he accelerates and goes over a bump.

“Gah!?”

The land is not really levelled. 

Upon some turns and accelerations, the truck reach near the edge. There are hundreds of men everywhere and the gallant Fort Connor could be seen from here.

"Finally!" Jet shouts in relief.

"Don't be too excited. Tomorrow, we need to go in the forest again."

The truck is parked before Fort Connor.

They take a nap. Then, upon waking up half an hour later, they ear the last of breads and set off again.

Jet now sits on the driver's seat and control what the king called as "steering".

It takes them 20 minutes to drive along the meadow until they meet a farm being worked by villagers.

"We reach Hyuutia already. This is that baron's demesne."

They wave at the farmers while truck is moving slowly along the plain, before going at 60 kilometers per hour. 

The plain is full of grass of 1 meter height but the route before them is viewable. As they move further from the forest, the ground is becoming even. Vibration become less frequent.

Now, their left and right are newly made farms. 

At distance away, there are wooden houses which are clustered at concentrated areas. 

There are many clusters and farms and drains are between each housing cluster. 

There are house under construction here and there. 

Finally, they stop at a cluster with is hectic with undergoing construction. There are labours everywhere.

"Hoi. We have been waiting forever!" A man in his fifties call the truck in rough tone.

"Sorry, geezer. It has been a bumpy ride!" Jet answers in equally rude manner.

Dozens of men climb onto the back if the truck and dozens of them are receiving on the ground.

"Only one?"

Solon replies,

"Sorry, old man. The remaining two are for the border."

"Damn it." The man who looks like the supervisor slap the timber in frustration.

The men lift one of the timber and place it on the spacious ground nearby.

"Take the saws. We need to cut this into pieces by today!' 

"Yooooooooo!!!"

The labourers are raring to continue working.

***

2