David The Gray Mage Chapter 24
233 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A gray light suddenly appeared in the white space, David hadn’t yet realized what happened as the sudden glow of the Orb was instantaneous for him, it even made him muddle headed for a bit as he momentarily even forgot what just happened.

The only thing right now he could think of was the white world around him and the gray light appearing out of nowhere, David tried to understand what this all was until he finally realized what he was doing before touching the Orb releasing himself from his muddleheaded state.

On closer inspection, David also realized that he wasn’t actually in a white world, he could feel his hands still touching the Element Orb with both of his hands, the sensation was cold and very smooth, he felt like he was touching a hunk of smooth ice, but without the frostbite hurting him for some reason.

In either case, David now knew that the white world or light actually came from the Orb itself so did the gray light which had already taken the entire space within the Orb turning it into a pure gray Orb.

-So this is my affinity…

David mumbled, fascinated trying to remember what this gray color meant from the book Syndra and him had read, the book roughly explained all the common affinities a person could have, there were over a 100 affinities that had been discovered so far, but some were simply more common than others like fire, wind, earth and water, David really hoped to have one of those common affinities as having a rare affinity didn’t mean that you were more unique or powerful than others, in most cases having a rare affinity meant that there wouldn’t be a lot of research for said affinity meaning no laid out path for you to follow or guide to read about forcing you to research your affinity by yourself slowing your growth rate.

Of course there were also people who choose to disregard their best affinity for their second best affinity just because there was no knowledge for their main affinity, those people are very unlucky indeed as their growth was still slow making them very miserable, David at least wanted to avoided getting into such a situation as he tried to think of what gray represented until he finally remembered.

-It’s the Neutral element?

The Neutral Element, an elemental affinity briefly described in the book, luckily still one of the more common elements in the world as it stood on the 27th place of how common it was, earth and water were 1st and 2nd respectively while everything bellow 50 was considered uncommon.

Just by its name alone the Neutral Element doesn’t really say what it does, but the book described it to be mainly a type of utility magic that can pretty much do anything, it isn’t limited to utility either as it actually possessed the ability to utilize all schools of magic from restoration which is the school of healing spells to evocation which is the school of destruction spells.

In the wizarding world wizards of the Neutral Element are considered a jack army knife, they aren’t bad at anything but they don’t excel in anything making their growth average in all school of magic, but because of their natural versatility they are naturally welcome by every wizard organization in the world because of how versatile they are. Specialists are difficult to grow after all as it all depended on your affinity.

In another vein, there also exist 2 more elements that are connected to the Neutral Element called Positive Element and Negative Element.

Positive element is an affinity that that is purely supportive and restorative, it has no offensive capabilities making it one of the best affinities for healing in the world, it also an uncommon element meaning it ranks bellow 50, but even so because of the pure strength of the Element itself it’s still worth cultivating.

Negative Element is similar to the Positive Element only that it’s the complete opposite, it has only the capability to cause death and destruction, it also is one of the best affinities in its school of magic even though it too is an uncommon affinity.

David at this moment was extremely satisfied with his affinity, in reality he didn’t really care too much what his affinity was as long as it wasn’t some kind of dead end uncommon affinity no one knew anything about, the Neutral affinity also gave him the impression that he could do a lot of things without needing to rely on others, though not being able to entirely specialize in something did suck a bit as he liked specializing, then again considering that he didn’t like combat too much maybe it was better for him that he hadn’t rolled into a fire affinity as that path would only lead him to become a combat wizard.

Talking about other affinities, David still wanted to know whether or not he was talented in other elements, he read in the book that even if you were good in one element and not so good in others it still didn’t hurt to widen your own spell arsenal as they could come in handy sometimes, David took this advice very seriously as Syndra also told David that even though she had a powerful affinity for Water she still learned a few fire spells because being able to produce fire at any given time without any tools was convenient.

David didn’t doubt it, so he searched the Orb for any other colors to see what else he was capable of, but strangely enough other than the gray light there was nothing else it seemed.

David couldn’t spot a single other color present, it was as if the gray light was the only thing he had which made him feel nervous as Syndra had told him that there didn’t exist a person in this world who only had one affinity.

Even having only 2 affinities was unheard of as at the minimum amount of affinities a person had was 4 to 5 affinities.

But David didn’t see wrong, the only affinity he had was for the Neutral Element, other than this there was nothing else.

-Ho…interesting you only possess an affinity for one element, and out of all those elements it is the Neutral Element, how fascinating.

Hearing the sudden voice of an elderly man near his ear, David suddenly jumped as he didn’t expect that only now starting to hear his surroundings as he was entirely engrossed into the Orb, his hands were still holding the Orb though and without him noticing, the Orb was also slowly starting to heat up in his hands while also emitting more light.

From the very beginning the brightness of the Orb had never waned, to the contrary the Orb was only getting brighter and brighter, everyone at first was confused as to what that light was but soon enough it dawned on them as they all realized that the light must have come from David holding the Orb as only his silhouette was visible clutching the Orb.

No one knew how much mana this light represented, but remembering the earlier explanation the professor gave regarding the mana meter and how it gauged the mana of the individual, they could tell that it had already surpassed the 10-meter line as the light had reached at least 30 to 35 meters and was still growing at that too turning into what looked like a small star.

The light was offensive as well, painful to look at as if they were actually staring into a star from close up, because of this the professor took appropriate measures and made the students distance themselves from the Orb so the students wouldn’t hurt themselves.

Syndra, Olga and Valentia were hesitant about leaving David, but since the professor assured them that nothing was going to happen to David and that he was fine, they reluctantly agreed to let him handle it.

This commotion was large too as the light was incredibly bright and since they were close to the cafeteria there was no way the staff wasn’t going to notice anything as already a few teachers/professors arrived to see what was going on.

Professor Anton felt that a headache was incoming with all those staff approaching, he hadn’t expected anything like this to happen, David had literally given him too much a surprise so much so that he didn’t know what to do, but since he was connected to the headmistress who he supported professor Anton knew that he had to do something.

First of all, he stalled the approaching professors using a Mirror Image spell that would basically talk to them about the situation in a lengthy and evasive manner, he knew that it wouldn’t stall them for too long, but professor Anton didn’t need a lot of time, only enough to know what was going on with David and the Orb.

After all David had been stuck holding the Orb the moment he touched it, the professor feared that something might have happened as he wasn’t reacting to the extremely bright light even though everyone else was shielding their own eyes from it.

Using his protective spell to shield him from the light he approached David trying to get a glimpse of his current state, luckily it seemed as if nothing serious had actually occurred, David was breathing alright, his eyes also looked okay, but instead he seemed to be entranced by something in the Orb.

Professor Anton too looked at the Orb, he too was curious about David’s talents, he already knew that David had unimaginable amount of mana it still shocked him as well, but he stayed cool attributing to his age.

Which is why it couldn’t be helped that he again was shocked the moment he saw what the Orb was showing him.

Top Affinity!

It was the highest affinity a human could possibly have, the categorization of affinity followed like this from low, average, medium, high and finally top.

Having top affinity while not as rare as having a 6-star soul rating was still very rare as these people were usually dubbed natures sons or daughters, an organization would still prefer a person with a soul star rating of 5 over a son of nature, but this didn’t matter for David as the soul star rating that was being displayed already put him in the top 100 of this academy.

It was a 5-star soul rating only 1 star away from being a chosen one, at this point it was already very clear that David would have a bright future ahead of him, but then professor Anton noticed another surprising fact about David the more he observed the Orb.

-Ho…interesting you only possess an affinity for one element, and out of all those elements it is the Neutral Element, how fascinating.

David jumped at that, giving the professor a small relief as well as he was finally assured of David’s well-being, all this time the light was still growing, the professors/teachers who came to see what the commotion was about were starting to get impatient with the professors Mirror Image that wasn’t letting them come closer, one of them even decided to finally ignore the Mirror Image and directly see for himself which was the point where professor Anton knew that time was up.

-Young man quickly let go of the Orb!

Professor Anton urged, while the students had already seen what happened, he still couldn’t let an actually teach with unknown disposition know of how special the boy in front of him was, in the future he was likely going to become one of the most powerful supporters of the headmistress until then he couldn’t let any other faction know of anymore then they currently knew.

David in turn still not understand what was going on but still hearing the professor decided to listen and let go of the Orb, but just as he was about to let go, he felt the Orb in his hands heating up to an incredible level, just like how it was in the beginning when it wasn’t freezing him this time the Orb wasn’t scalding him either, but he could feel something terrible that was about to happen as if the Orb was about to explode.

And his guess wasn’t off the mark either, even though the professor was confident that no student would ever be able to reach the limit of the Orb, he now had to eat those words as what he witnessed next showed him that he was terribly wrong.

-David! Come here!

The professor ordered now seeing what was about to happen, David didn’t hesitate either jumping directly into the professor’s arms as the Orb cracked from all sides until eventually it exploded! Causing a shockwave of immense amount of mana to blast into all directions.

Professor Anton used one of his more powerful shielding spells to protect himself and David from the shockwave as they were directly in the epicenter of the blast, even the approaching professors had to stop to shield themselves as the blast came directly for them while everyone else was far enough away to not need any protection, what they felt instead was a terribly gale of wind pressing at them.

As soon as the powerful explosion subsided Syndra who witnessed all of this became terribly scared, her heart pumped with worry as she screamed out.

-DAVID!

========================================

If you want to read more, over 10 chapters of this series is on my site https://kakemonoko.wordpress.com/ please check it out if you like

4