Chapter 14: The Gauntlet of Soul Taming
98 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Yukito made haste to get back to the clinic after leaving the lord's manor behind in the darkness. They probably couldn't tell who I was, but I don't know if the hood really hid my cat ears very well. Even though I just saved the town, I can't count on news of this not reaching the capital. We need to get away before they send someone to check this out!

Fog rolled down the quiet streets of Barebury and the temperature had dropped dramatically since he had left on his little expedition. Steam puffed in front of him as he breathed while running towards the other side of the town. Those snake monsters were like something out of my nightmares. Kind of makes me appreciate my dull life on Earth. 

There were only a few street lamps in the whole town and they provided small pools of light as he passed. Before long he reached the clinic, a small lantern was lit outside the front door where the sign hung. Yukito burst inside the small building and found Celeste sitting in a chair, bundled up in a pile of blankets, watching the door. 

"Thank the gods! You're safe! What happened?"

"Some sort of snake people used magic to disguise themselves and took over the town. They were eating the people they took and keeping everyone locked up in the lord's dungeon." He panted and leaned over for a second before continuing. "I took care of them though. There were a lot of people who survived, including the real lord of Barebury and Oli's parents. I'm not sure if any of them saw my tail or ears, so we'd better leave now just to be safe."

Celeste threw off her blankets and the two of them went into their room to gather their things. She frantically grabbed things and shoved them into her bag. He did the same. "Where do we go from here?" he asked.

"I have been studying the Doctor's maps over the past couple days. Since we might have been discovered, then the best thing to do would be to take the old road up the Greigus Mountains. The trip will take longer, but if you want to avoid the main road that's our only option."

Yukito reached into his own bag and pulled out the gauntlet with the yellow stone in it. The thing was definitely too small for him to wear, but maybe Celeste could use it. The woman who had used the thing had been strong as a truck, that could definitely come in handy. "Celeste, any idea how to use this thing?"

"I'm just an innkeeper's granddaughter... I don't know how to use a magical artifact like that. I'm also not much of a fighter, either, if you haven't noticed."

"Neither am I, but we need to get stronger if we want to make it out of this country alive. Try it on." Yukito handed her the item. 

Celeste took the gauntlet carefully avoiding the long blades at the fingertips and slid it onto her tiny wrist. The gemstone, which had not been glowing as it had when Scorpina wore it, began to to emit a dim yellow light. Celeste's eyes changed color and now were a pale yellow. I think this is actually going to work! 

"How do you feel, Celeste? Anything different? Your eyes changed color."

Celeste let out a gasp at the comment and rushed over to the small mirror on the table and looked at herself to confirm the change. "You're right. I don't feel any different though..."

"Just keep it on, if nothing else it can make you look threatening in a pinch. We'll figure it out eventually... I hope." 

Vernia entered the room and saw them packing. "What happened?"

"I saved the town. Oli's parents are fine, but we need to go."

"Wait? In the middle of the night? Why? If you saved the town, then... did you kill the lord?"

"No, but I don't want to risk anyone knowing too much about me... The truth is that the Empire wants my head on a pike. I hope you'll keep my secret."

The doctor took a step back. 

"It's nothing like that. He's a hero summoned from another world. He's a good person!" Celeste said and Vernia visibly calmed down. 

"You can ask Oli's parents about what happened if you don't believe us. I didn't kill the lord." Yukito said as he slung his pack on and then flipped his cloak over it.

"It seems that the town owes you much. The lord is a good man at heart, he won't turn you in after what you've done for Barebury. I'm sure of it. You two can be safe here. You don't need to flee like thieves in the night."

Yukito hesitated for a moment. Can I really be safe anywhere in the empire? No. I need to be smart about this. My life is on the line here. This isn't a game. All it would take is for the wrong person to spot me one time and then they'd be coming after us again. He shook his head slowly. "Thank you for everything you've done for us, Doctor Vernia. Celeste, let's go."

His companion nodded and threw her hood on and the two of them shoved their way past the kind doctor and made their way out into the streets. Vernia didn't do anything further to stop them, he must've understood. The night was chilly, but they were at least dressed warmly. Clouds had rolled in and the night was becoming especially dark. 

"Just a second!" Doctor Vernia's voice boomed from behind. Yukito and Celeste turned to see the kind man waving his arm at them and holding a rolled up piece of parchment. When the doctor saw that they had stopped he ran over to them. "You don't have a map, right? The least I can do is give you one. If you're going to continue on your journey, it should come in handy."

Yukito smiled and took the map, handing it over to Celeste, who put it into her pack. "Thanks. Sorry, but we need to get going. I'm glad I was able to help."

 The streets were as quiet as they had been when he was out here alone earlier. The only sound in the darkness was the sound of their boots thumping along the rocks of the cobblestone road. Celeste led the way and they wound their way through the town for several minutes before reaching a dirt road leading off into the darkness. "This is the route we should take." She was shivering slightly from the cold. 

"Sorry we had to leave like this... I acted rashly, but I just couldn't let things continue like that."

"Don't be sorry. The fact that you want to help innocent people is one of your best qualities." She smiled at him. "The next town is a few days journey from here. At least if they come looking for us, they will have to send soldiers in both directions."

Yukito nodded and the two of them walked away from the town of Barebury and into the darkness beyond. They were able to keep on the pathway using the dim light from Celeste's moss light. Crickets and a hooting owl could be heard nearby and he rubbed his hands together against the cold. It must be the beginning of winter here or something. It wasn't so bad so far since I've been here, but this is kind of ridiculous. I wonder how seasons work in this world.

Walking was at least keeping him warm. The road forked and Celeste took out her map, examining it before leading him off to the right. "There are campsites marked on the map. It looks like in a few hours we will come across a spot that people usually stop. Table Rock, is what it's labeled as on the map."

"Okay. It should be safe enough by then that we can take a short rest. I doubt anyone will hear anything about us before morning, probably not even until later than that. Hopefully we'll be long gone by then though." The quietly trudged along the winding road which was beginning to go at a steep incline. The wind began to howl and unfortunately, snow began to fall. Just like my luck to land me in an Isekai in the middle of winter. 

Things didn't get any better as the gentle snowfall quickly gained momentum. The moss shone against the falling snowflakes like a car's headlights in a blizzard. They didn't have much for visibility, but they could see the road a few feet ahead of them and that would have to be enough. "Safe or not, we're going to have to find shelter. There's no way we can keep going in this." Yukito pointed towards some trees off to the side of the road. They wouldn't provide the best of shelter, but it was better than nothing. 

Celeste nodded and they made their way into the small wooded area. The ground was still more-or-less dry here. "Let's start a fire. We're going to freeze if we don't." Celeste suggested.

"Right. I'll go see if I can find some dry branches." 

Yukito didn't need as much light to see by thanks to his cat eyes. He almost had a kind of night vision. He imagined real cats probably had even better vision than he did, but he couldn't complain. The dim forested area was just illuminated enough for him to see a fallen tree that was rotting on the ground. "Perfect." 

He began snapping off dead branches and once he had an armload he ran back over to his companion who was visibly shaking from the cold at this point. I did make the right choice to leave Barebury, didn't I? No time to think of that now though. 

He piled the sticks into a log cabin shape and shoved some dry leaves and grass that was on the ground near them into the middle. Celeste lit the fire with her flint and steel and a small fire burst into life in the middle of his log cabin structure. Quickly, Yukito piled more dry sticks on top of it to keep the fire burning and get some coals going. In just a few minutes they had a roaring fire going next to them warding off the stray snowflakes that came their way. 

"Hopefully the trees give us enough shelter to keep this thing going through the night. You should get some rest. I'll keep watch." He sat down close to the fire. The front half of him was warm, yet his back was cold and wet. He would need to turn around. Celeste had packed a blanket into his bag, but instead of throwing it over himself, he tossed it onto her. She was laying curled up facing the fire with her head next to his leg.

"I was really worried about you when you went after those people, you know. I don't want to be alone in this world, everyone I've ever cared for is gone, I don't want to lose you too."

"I know. I feel the same. I can't promise it wont happen again in the future, but I will try harder to be less reckless, all right?"

Celeste nodded quietly and closed her eyes. Yukito didn't want to disturb her so he stayed quiet and just watched the flames as they danced in front of him. The wind had dyed down at least, but snow continued to fall steadily for the next several hours. He spent the time considering whether or not he really did want to go home. This world was extremely dangerous and ruthless people and monsters seemed to exist in abundance here, but there was Celeste. 

Back home, he didn't have any prospects for love. Truthfully, he didn't have time for anything, much less a girlfriend. When he went to college he would gain some freedom, but then once all was said and done he'd probably end up as a salaryman just like his father. Working 80+ hours a week only to come home and sleep without any free time was the existence of a modern day slave in his opinion and he didn't want any of it. It's decided then. For better or worse, this is my world now. I don't want to go home. I was given power, however, and I will use it to make this a better place.

An ember popped in the fire and brought him out of his deep thoughts. A dozen glowing eyes stared at him from the edge of the pool of light that the fire provided. Fuck my life. "Celeste," he whispered and shook her gently. "Celeste. Wake up." 

She sat up abruptly and looked around wide eyed. That was when she saw the menacing glowing eyes surrounding them. "What are we going to do?" she whispered.

"They seem to be afraid of the fire. But for how long?" he replied.

"Those might be blood hounds. They travel in packs and attack travelers sometimes. They're huge wolves and have blood red fur. What do you want to do?"

"I'll take care of them. I'm going to leave one alive. I want to try something with your new weapon. Give me the rope from your bag and get ready okay?"

She nodded nervously and put the gauntlet back on her hand while taking slow, deliberate movements to retrieve their rope. She handed it over and then he quickly unsheathed his sword and slowed time. Not much time. I have to do this quick. 

Yukito darted out into the darkness towards the glowing eyes. He caught sight of his first blood hound and Celeste hadn't been kidding. The thing's head was even with his chest and it had jaws that looked like they could snap his leg like a twig. Not taking time to admire the beautiful, yet deadly creature, he slit its throat before moving onto the next. About 12 seconds left.  

Frantically he ran between the slowed creatures like death incarnate slashing and stabbing until he had downed nearly a dozen of the things. Thankfully they had all been grouped close together. There was only one left and he only had seconds until the world would come crashing back and the thing would come for his throat. He ran the rope around the beast's front paws and then ran to the back doing the same to the rear ones. He tied a quick and weak knot and then kicked the wolf over onto its side just as time returned to normal. 

The wolf howled and raged against its bonds, but it couldn't stand back up so easily. "Celeste! Quick, come here!"

I hope this works. He readied his blade for striking the thrashing beast in the chest if it looked like things were going to take a turn for the worst while Celeste ran over to where he was. "What do you want me to do?" 

In games, something like this is pretty easy. It's worth a shot, right? "Place your gauntleted hand on the creature and concentrate on focusing your willpower on it. Tell me if you feel anything, okay?"

"O-Okay," she stammered. With a trembling hand she reached out and placed her hand onto the torso of the beast. As he had hoped something did happen. The dimly glowing stone burst to life, radiating through the darkness with a powerful, blinding light. "I... I can feel something... I..." 

She cut off and the stone of the gauntlet burned brighter than ever. The beast stopped thrashing and Yukito saw that Celeste's eyes had begun to light up. It started with a faint yellow glow, but grew bright as the stone for a brief second before her eyes settled on a dim yellow glow. She seemed like she was going to faint. 

"Are you okay?!" he rushed over and caught her as she fell backwards. 

"I did it. Somehow... I forced my will onto it and now it will obey anything I do until death. I feel... different. Stronger, maybe? But also... exhausted." 

"Can you have it keep watch over us for the night? We should both rest. We still have a few hours of night left I think."

Celeste nodded tiredly and then he removed the ropes that bound the creature's legs. It stood up and paced around the pool of light for a moment before sitting and staring off into the darkness. Well... at least we have a guard dog now. It was a good thing too, because he wouldn't be able to use his ability again for a while, and who knows what else might be prowling around out here in the darkness. 

The two companions laid down next to the fire after he fed it two large pieces of wood and then they cuddled up against each other for warmth before he drifted off into a dreamless sleep.

4