[39] New Beginnings-! Nikko’s First Mission!
111 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[39]

 

Neji Hyuuga glared at Nikko Utsuri so hard she could practically feel his menace. Gaara had returned Nikko to the Hyuuga's domain right before he could intervene and interrupt their bedtime sparring, telling her he had to speak with the Hokage again. Neji had no idea what had occurred, only that Nikko was in chipper spirits. "Neji-kun, if you glare any harder your eyes will crack." She warned him with a smile.

"Cch. You really don't have any IDEA how worried I was," he spat. 

"...I'm sorry. But I was with Gaara, and he's completely safe," she assured. Her words didn't lighten his mood, in fact it only edged him on. "Gaara, the demon of the sand? The same one who would kill anyone in his path? The one who destroyed a lot of the forest in his fight with Naruto Uzumaki? THAT Gaara?"

"....That was his past. Neji-kun, people can change. You'll see. You don't know him like I do, that's all!"

"You...idiot!" 

Neji grabbed Nikko's shoulders angrily and pushed her to the empty engawa of their home. The other Hyuuga members were gone on various missions, even Hinata. All except for the tiniest member who was training with her father, there footwork echoing across the valley.

Neji hovered over Nikko, "Give me one reason I should ever let you leave here again!"

"Ahn. That hurts~ Be nice, okay? I came back. That's what's important, ne?"

"Clearly our definitions of important vary greatly." His icy glare bore into her. Nikko couldn't help but squirm as she looked away from his intensity. He jerked her chin to him so she had no choice but take his berating. A thread bare line stood between them, and she could see his eyes soften, wanting to close that distance. Her pulse sped up; he was looking at her lips, his own parting somewhat--

---And she quickly said, "...Neji-kun, I understand you were worried. But...I was okay. Please don't worry so much." She smiled at him. "You'll make wrinkles on your pretty face."

"You-!" 

Her attack worked.

Neji rose and turned away to hide his embarrassment. "...Stupid girl."

"Hehe." 

The conversation ended at last. Nikko breathed a sigh of relief. Her heart was so full light and carefree, nothing could bring her down, she reasoned. Naruto and Gaara had both accepted her and each other. She couldn't be happier. Her eyes closed, recalling the experience with an eager pulse. How she wanted to be by their side again. To be spoiled by them.

If only the Hokage would let her. After all, she had been pretty particular in ensuring Naruto and Nikko weren't around one another as of late.

But one day--Nikko would be by Naruto's when he become Hokage--wait--no, Gaara's side as Kazekage-- She frowned. It would be hard to be both at Suna and Konoha. How could she pull that off? 

All of a sudden she was full of confusion. It hadn't occurred to her that she'd have to pick. Clearly, she was property of Suna, but if she--married--Naruto then she could stay and live in Konoha. But Gaara wouldn't like that, she realized. He wouldn't give her to Naruto so easily. And she wouldn't do anything to hurt Gaara, not ever again. She still bore light scars on her back from his nails dragging down it. They'd faded to white now, but it was a reminder of the anguish he carried inside. To this day Gaara the demon was suffering; not understanding that Yashamaru had truly loved him. Nikko would need to tell him the truth one day. She just hoped he believed her.

She was neck deep in thoughts when a hand waved in front of her face. "Space cadet."

Her eyes lifted seeing the blinking face of Shikamaru Nara. He was leaning over, one brow raised in wonder. In his left hand was a paper, and as he straightened she could tell that he'd had a 'troublesome' time. Clearly she wasn't the only one with worries today.

"Eh! Ah, Shika-kun! You're back!" 

"Nice of you to join us," he chuckled. "I would have thought you were taking Ibiki-sensei's test. What's up?"

"Oh, nothing, nothing!"

Beside her the quiet Neji who was still sulking said, "She's had an outing. That sand demon took her to see Naruto-kun."

Shikamaru's eyes widened. "Ah." He eyed her closer, "How did it go?"

"Good!"

The good was followed with a heavy blush, and Shikamaru's brows lowered. He glanced off as his rational mind came to a conclusion that made his chest itch annoyingly. "...That's good. Hope you're ready; I finally snagged us a mission."

"EH? Really?" 

He had her full attention now. Neji's, too. Shikamaru held out the paper in his hand and read, "We'll be a convoy. The daimyo of the Land of Rice Fields will be marrying the Baroness of the Land of Lakes. It's a political marriage. Her name is...Yuki Mizu. Apparently, nobody has ever saw her. The daimyo is paying for her to move to the Rice Country--provided of course, she gets there safely. The Land of Rice Fields have been growing more and more corrupt lately..." Shikamaru sighed, as if the next part was a total drag, "...Nikko is to go in disguise as Yuki Mizu, while the real Yuki's position will be kept secret. This will be a two team mission. Our team will be first, as a decoy."

Nikko's eyes widened. The Land of Rice Fields held within it a ninja village--a village she knew too much about. She leapt up, crying, "I can't go there! Orochimaru-san will be there--" her hands began to shake as she thought of what that meant, of who else could be there, "--tell the Hokage I can't!"

Shikamaru sighed up at the blue sky. "I did. She told me she received news that he's not in the area. She's sure there won't be any danger from the Sound Village."

"Eh? He's...not there? I...I see. But still--what if he came back?"

"That's why you're going under disguise. It will double as both protection for the Baroness and hide your true identity." When his eyes found Nikko's they were full of concern. "We'll be with two teams."

Neji finally spoke. "And who is this other team?"

"Haruno Sakura, Uzumaki Naruto and Inuzuka Kiba." Shikamaru sighed yet again, "I'll be in charge of everyone. What a drag..."

Naruto would be there, Nikko thought excitedly. Her initial worry began to fade. He'd keep her safe for sure. "...I'll do it."

"Thought you might say that."

Shikamaru went over some more tedious information but ended with: "We leave tomorrow morning. Nikko, come with me. I know you don't have all the gear you'll need."

"Right." She stood. "I don't want to go with just Idate-kun's knife. Although it has saved my life...it wouldn't hurt to have more than just one weapon." 

***

Shikamaru and Nikko set off to acquire gear, while Neji silently fumed at the danger she could face. He was sure Otagakure wouldn't just let her slid by without clashing at some point. He'd need to be vigilant. 

 

 

The first place they stopped was a hair dresser, where Shikamaru purchased the disguise Nikko would be wearing the duration of the trip. A long black wig, shaped into an appropriate style befitting a Baroness, the frilliest and most annoying kimono in existence--all length and layers--and finally, fine jewelry. "Damn. Glad I'm just renting this out," Shikamaru said as he paid for it all, "Would be a real drag to end this mission bankrupt."

Nikko flushed. She was staring at her reflection in the full length mirror, imaging all the things upon her at once. She really hoped it would hide who she was. As she stared in a daze Shikamaru put his arm around her. "You think too much you'll psyche yourself out before it even starts, you know."

"...Yeah."

They left the shop with multiple bags. As they walked down the street, she spotted Naruto, beside him Gaara. Naruto was talking to him rather excitedly with his arms gesturing and a wide grin on his face, while Gaara remained neutral as always. Her heart warmed; they were getting along so well. She expected nothing less of Gaara--who was able to fix things with one attempt. A deep blush erupted on her face for he had fixed her too.

"Come on. I know you're dying to talk to 'em," Shikamaru said. He led her right to the duo. Upon their approach Gaara didn't so much as blink, but Naruto startled. "Nikko! When did you get here?"

"She was at the wigsman," Gaara replied calmly. His teal eyes twinkled. 

"Eh? How'd you know that?" Naruto asked. 

"...The earth told me," was his explanation. 

The one tailed Jinchuuriki walked over, lifted Nikko's hand and laid a kiss there. "Your first mission will be dangerous. But I can tell you that the sound village isn't a threat right now."

Nikko's blush grew so red her ears turned, too. That simple touch had pooled her heart to the ground. She was so stunned that she froze into a statue, only coming to life when Naruto stomped his foot. "Hey hey! You're forgetting one important thing, Gaara! I'm gonna be there, too! And I won't let anything happen to her. Believe it!"

Shikamaru sighed and swung the bags in his hand over his shoulder, yawning widely. "Are you done yet? We've got more stuff to get."

Naruto and Gaara both looked at him in that moment. Both of their thoughts were on Nikko's words, saying Shikamaru was the third who'd stolen her heart. Gaara stepped forward ominously. It was mostly a change in the air, and it thickened quickly--so quickly Nikko was worried he'd hurt Shikamaru--but Gaara held out his hand instead. "Protect her with your life. Or the next time we meet I will end yours."

His threat had woke Shikamaru up from his mid day daze. His sharp mind could see the tense jaw Gaara had, could feel the threat would be real. He looked to the extended hand, before sighing. "Course I'll guard her. I'm her Squad Leader." When Gaara didn't drop his hand Shikamaru reluctantly took it. "...You don't have to threaten me, you know. We 'are' on the same side in this."

"It is not a threat," Gaara replied evenly. There was a darkness inside his ringed eyes. "It's a warning."

"Jeez. That's the same thing," he remarked with a sigh. "If you're done, we have more important things to attend to."

Naruto jut out his jaw before he snatched Nikko to him and said, "We're gonna come too!"

The next sigh Shikamaru released might have let out some of his soul. "...Fine. What a drag."

 

 

Nikko stood between Gaara and Naruto, and they'd each claimed one of her hands. Her nose was threatening to spurt out and she sucked up blood, looking at their shadows in front of them as the sun warmed her back. She was going on a simple enough mission but her two 'boyfriends' were acting like Shikamaru was marrying her off to some stranger. It both warmed her heart and made butterflies of the non-aponi variety swim in her belly. It was one thing to have just one boyfriend, but here she was with two--and one genius, who walked ahead of them.

The looks she was receiving were quite humiliating. She pulled free, saying, "...E-Everyone is staring at us."

"Let 'em stare! Hmp," Naruto said. 

"I apologize." Gaara said. His gaze remained forward, "We have been too possessive."

She quickly replied, "I-It's fine. I'm happy. But...m-maybe we can not...do that in public?"

Both nodded. 

The next stop was a weapons store. There Gaara took over, startling the customers into fleeing when he used his sand to lift various tools, testing their merit on the pitiful hay targets available. After all had been fired off he turned to the blacksmith, "Do you have anything sharper? These won't do."

Everyone fell over.

Nikko piped up. "Er...Gaara, maybe some simple shuriken?"

"Those won't be enough." He looked to Shikamaru, "Is this the best Konoha can offer?"

The lazy genius held his head. "How should I know? All of us get our equipment here."

Gaara had high standards for weapons, they all found out that day. He crossed his arms and shook his head at every option, until all that was left were katana. Those he pulled free of their hilt, and after slicing the hay targets clean in half, finally settled. "She'll take two of these."

The poor blacksmith practically begged him to take them, half price, and Gaara agreed. He had them wrapped and carried them aloft his sand, saying, "I will sharpen these myself."

"Of course...!" The blacksmith replied. It was clear he was looking forward to when their little group left.

Finally the shopping was done. Nikko breathed a sigh of relief, seeing the sun nearly set. They had expended the entire evening in just two stores. But a light hearted Nikko looked to Gaara--seeing the noble nose and forward gaze, wondering when he'd return to Suna. She wanted to say a proper goodbye.

Her Jinchuuriki escort ended at the Hyuuga's home. Shikamaru left, saying he'd see her in the morning at the gates. He also told her to bring the basics: food, water, and clothing, as if she were going on a camping trip, lastly reminding her to take the supplements. Finally he departed and that left Gaara and Naruto. Well, there was Neji too, and he was watching them both like they'd suddenly become a venus flytrap and devour her atop the roof of his home.

"You're leaving tomorrow too, Gaara?" She asked sadly.

"I only have one day permitted." He answered calmly. 

"Where will you stay tonight?"

Naruto smirked. "With me, of course! Heh."

Gaara nodded. "The Hokage allowed me to reside at Naruto Uzumaki's for the duration."

Nikko smiled at them both. "I see. Well...I hope you two have fun. J-Just not too much!"

"No way," Naruto said. His blue eyes twinkled. "Not without Nikko."

The way they both stared--warmly, full of affection and adoration--almost brought her to tears. She would never be without them again. Forget the curse, forget the dangers of Kurama, Nikko Utsuri wanted to live her new life by their side. She bowed. "..I'll miss you, Gaara. D-Don't go and love anyone else, okay?"

She lifted her head and blinked away sudden tears. It would be hard to see him go, to be apart from his side. But at her words his brows knit together, and he lifted her chin. "The only one for me is you."

["The only one for me is you."] 

The memory overlapped and she flung her arms around his middle, clinging tightly enough for his many layers of clothing and straps to aggravate. "Gaara--thank you."

The gourd on his back came to life and wrapped around the both of them and pressed her tightly to his chest. She knew it did that as his desire, and it made their embrace all the more bittersweet. It was his way of returning her words, and a promise of the future, a future by the Kazekage. How spoiled she was.

"Then, in the morning....travel safe, okay?" 

"You too, Utsuri Nikko." Gaara brushed aside her bangs and pecked her cheek lightly. 

It was time.

***

 

Naruto grinned widely as he and Gaara went back to his apartment. "This is great! I can't wait to go on a mission with Nikko! I've been looking forward to this for a long time! But, hey wait a minute, why did the Hokage all of a sudden change her tune? Hmm. Before, she never wanted Nikko to be around me..."

"I had words with her." Gaara said.

"Really? You did that for me? Gee, Gaara, you're a pretty cool dude, ya know that?" Naruto's arm went around Gaara's shoulder and the sand was barely held back in time from lashing out at the sudden touch. 

"Cool...I wonder..." his teal eyes shut. "No, I don't think I'm cold. I feel fine."

Sweat dripped from Naruto's cheek. "No, you've got it all wrong, wrong! Cool is...cool is, hmm. It's a good thing. Like uh, like you're charming or something. Yeah." 

The normally pale face of Gaara burst with crimson. He swatted down Naruto's arm. "..."

"Woah! Your cheeks are super duper red!" Naruto pointed and laughed.

His sand swiftly knocked Naruto off his feet.

"Hey! What was that for!"

 

The two friends made it home. There was a ruckus inside, and Naruto walked into his kitchen being raided by Kankuro and Temari. Kankuro was pouring milk from the jug into his mouth while Temari had several wrappers around her feet, nibbling a red bean cake.

"Oi, what are you two doing in my kitchen!" Naruto shouted.

"Duh. We're staying here, too," Temari replied. She smirked. "Got a problem with that?"

"You bet I do! Get the heck outta here!"

Gaara sighed. "There is no where else for them to go." 

Naruto deflated. He looked at the multiple wrappers. All his precious bean cake, gone. "Aw man...this sucks! I was saving those for hard times!"

Temari happily devoured the rest of her bean cake. 

"So," Kankuro said, looking around, "What's there to do around here? I'm dying of boredom."

His painted eyes spied a television in the living room. Below it, a playstation. "That looks promising."

While Kankuro went to play a video game, Temari zeroed in on Gaara. "How was it? Did you get to see your lady?"

Normally Gaara would just ignore her nosey ness, but he relented. "It was pleasant."

"Oh, really? From the look on your face it was REALLY pleasant." She smirked big, "You didn't go and do anything DIRTY, did you?"

Her younger brother shook his head. "Not at all. We were completely clean."

Naruto and Temari both gave Gaara an incredulous expression. Temari had been seeking to embarrass Gaara and had failed miserably. She sighed. "My goodness, Gaara-kun. Your naivety...how do you put up with him, Naruto-san?"

"I just roll with it." Naruto replied with a shrug. "He's kinda like a cute little puppy or something."

Gaara, not liking that similarity, smacked him to the floor with his sand again. Naruto shot back up, shouting out, "HEY. Quit doing that!"

"..."

Naruto sighed. "This is gonna be a long night."

And a long night it was. Gaara, who didn't sleep at all, spent his time sharpening the katana's for Nikko. He hardened his sand and used it as a blade sharpener. Which was fine and dandy, except for the sound of metal grating was so loud. And he just so happened to be doing that activity in Naruto's room of all places. Naruto couldn't sleep for all the damn noise. He tossed and turned all night, hearing Temari laughing as her and Kankuro were in his living room and playing against one another using HIS playstation.

Naruto put his pillow over his head. He hoped Nikko had a better sleep then he was having.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2