Chapter 6
1.5k 1 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

1.

The doorbell rang, pulling me out of my horrified daze. Oh, for God’s sake, was Steve here? He really wanted to hang out a lot.

Did that have anything to do with my dreams?

I left Melanie’s room and made my way downstairs. I made it to the door just as Steve was about to ring the doorbell again, and watched his eyes widen in surprise. “What?” I asked, then realized that he hadn’t heard my voice all day. “Look, I know I sound a little different, but that’s all that’s changed, okay?”

He shook his head slowly. “No… No it ain’t…”

I raised an eyebrow, then I realized what he was looking at. Me. His eyes were tracing my body from head to toe and back again. Suddenly, I felt a little chilly, and rubbed at my exposed arms. “Are you gonna hurry up and come inside, I’m kinda cold.”

“Um… Yeah,” he said, nervousness in his voice.

He came in and sat down on the couch, and I sat down beside him. “So… What’s going on?” I asked.

He shrugged. “Well, I’m kinda bored, so I came over here. You’re wearing short shorts and a tank top. And we’re not really doing much of anything.”

Dammit, dammit, dammit… Why had I decided now would be a good time to try on Melanie’s clothes? I finish doing that and suddenly my best friend arrived, I was just stupid.

Before I could suggest anything, Steve said, “You look nice, by the way.”

I blushed. I blushed! He complimented me, and I blushed! What the hell was wrong with me? “Thanks,” I said. Stupid goosebumps, causing me to to be nervous now. “Wow… It’s funny how something so minor as clothes can cause so much awkward between us, huh?”

He let out a chuckle. “Yeah.”

“Do you wanna do something?”

“Like what?”

“I dunno. We never finished playing Resident Evil Six the other day.”

He shook his head. “Nah. Let’s find something else to play.”

“Okay. I don’t have a whole lot more co-op games, though.”

He shrugged. “We don’t have to play a co-op game. You could play a game while I watch, I could play a game while you watch.”

I nodded. “Okay. Go pick something.”

He nodded, then got up and walked up the stairs. I just sat there, hugging my knees to my chest. Wait, what?! That is so something that girls do! Why was I doing it?! I uncurled and let my feet touch the floor again. I didn’t like what I’d just done. Why had I hugged my knees to my chest? Was I… Scared? Was I… Concerned?

Was I happy to be around Steve?

He came back down the stairs with a stack of games and set them down on the coffee table. “Well… Here’s our options.”

“How many of my games didn’t you grab?”

He flashed a weak smile and rubbed at the back of his neck. “Um… Two?”

I rolled my eyes. “Alright, let’s do process of elimination, then.”

2.

I sighed. Twenty minutes of going through all my games, and we couldn’t think of anything to play. I just sat back and propped my feet up on the coffee table. “For the love of God, just pick at random!” I said. It brought attention back to my voice, because it sounded even more feminine than it had before.

He sat back down on the couch beside me. “Hell, let’s just watch a movie.”

I shrugged. “Okay with me.” I picked up the TV remote, flipped to a Starz channel and caught the tail end of the credits of Iron Man 3. “Ugh, they’re still showing this? Aren’t there better movies they could show?”

Steve laughed. “You’ve never told me why you don’t like Iron Man. What’s wrong with ‘em?”

I shook my head. I dunno. I’ve just never liked them that much. I liked Thor better.”

He smiled. “Yeah, I wonder why.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

He lightly poked me in the arm. “Look at how you’re dressed!”

“What? I’m gonna havta wear this stuff eventually!” I was trying to justify this. Why was I trying to justify this? “Besides, at least I’m not wearing the same ratty jeans I wore yesterday, like you are!”

He burst into laughter, which surprised me. “You are such a girl now! You’re trying to ‘fix’ me already!”

I blushed again. “No I’m not! You’re just… y’know… You have other pants, right?”

He nodded through his laughter. “I can’t believe this. You’re wearing your sister’s clothes, and you’re trying to fix me, how are you not a girl right now?”

“I’m just… I’m not!” I was lying to myself and I knew that.

“You’re even wearing lipstick, man!”

Oh, crap, I forgot about that. I brought my hand up to my lips, like covering them up would erase the purple stuff on them. Why had I forgot about that? Why hadn’t I washed this stuff off while he was looking through all my games?

“Um… Yeah?” I said, with obvious embarrassment in my voice.

He patted me on my exposed shoulder. “Hey, it’s okay. I think it looks good on you.”

I swear my face had to be beet-red with how much I was blushing, and I could almost feel my masculinity draining away as I asked, “Really?” Why had I asked that? What possible reason could I have for asking that? Steve was my best friend, and the very reason I got into this situation, not a potential boyfriend!

“What?” he asked, taking close observation of my face. I must have had a disturbed look, or something.

“I think you should leave,” I said, and I meant it. This was getting out of hand. Steve wasn’t just looking like my best friend anymore, and that scared me. “Please, please leave.”

He grabbed me by the shoulders and said, “What is it?”

“I just… I want you to leave, okay?”

He took a deep breath. “I have something to tell you. I’ve been having these weird dreams, ever since we met that old witch. One of them had me walking into your house and finding you standing there, but you weren’t a guy. There was another one where I was complaining about how we don’t spend much time together anymore, and another one - “

I cut him off. “Where I’m the one complaining because you don’t want to spend time with me?”

He nodded. “Yeah. We were in here, and you were all bouncy and girly and… I think I realized that my punishment would be us drifting apart. I don’t want that to happen, because you’re my best friend, y’know?”

I nodded. “Yeah.”

“So, please, Amanda, don’t ask me to leave again.”

Suddenly, I felt something welling up inside me, and it was anger. He just called me Amanda. He just called me that goddamn name! No! “Get out!” I said, my voice firm.

“But, after I just - “

I cut him off again. “I said get out!” I yelled this time. Even with my more feminine voice, there was a bit of the authority that I’d felt as a boy.

Steve got up off the couch, nodded, and left, just like that. No muss, no fuss, no protest. He was there and then he was just gone. I just sat there on the couch, shaking, shuddering, shivering…

Angry.

3.

It took me at least an hour to stand up from the couch. I didn’t want to move, I didn’t want to do anything. I was angry. Angry at Steve, angry at that sorceress, even angry at Melanie for no reason whatsoever, just because I was wearing her clothes. I didn’t have any reason to be angry at Melanie, or Steve (really), I should have just been angry at the sorceress.

I walked upstairs to my room and practically dropped onto my bed. My tablet was still on my nightstand, so I grabbed it, tapped the camera icon, flipped the camera to the front lens and looked at myself, really looked at myself. My face in particular. It was obvious why Steve had called me Amanda, because I didn’t look like Adam at all anymore. If somebody was just looking at my face, they’d wonder how I could have ever beenAdam. I still had three days of this, how much more changing could I do? Well, aside from Little Adam shrinking inside me completely, and my breasts growing more.

I tapped out of the camera and got to the internet, where I searched for all those nutjobs I’d read about before. I quickly registered at the forum and started a new thread.

My name is Amanda, and I used to be Adam.

4.

I sat on my bed, hugging my knees to my chest, and waited for Melanie to come home. I didn’t have much else to do. I had the TV on, but I wasn’t watching anything. The thread I’d started had taken off, with over sixty different people saying things ranging from absolutely believing me to thinking I’m, and I quote, “Some dumb cunt who wants people to think she’s nuts.” I rolled my eyes at that guy.

I heard the front door open and Melanie did something downstairs, then she climbed the stairs. “Adam? You still here?”

“Yeah,” I said, “in my room.”

She walked into the room and stopped dead in her tracks. It probably looked odd to her to see her younger brother wearing her clothes - not to mention her lipstick - and not looking strange in any way. “Um… Is there anything wrong?” she asked.

I stood up. “Look at this.”

“Yeah, you managed to pick clothes I don’t wear anymore, what about it?”

“No! Look at this!

“Bro, I don’t - “

“Mel! I’m… I’m not Adam anymore!”

She sighed. “Look, bro, I hate to tell you this, but you really haven’t been Adam for a little while now. Pretty much since I woke you up this morning.”

“And you didn’t say anything?”

She walked over to me and sat down on my bed. “What would you have said if it was me or Steve that was changing? I wasn’t trying to make you feel worse. I already felt bad making you talk to Mom and Dad this morning.”

I sat down beside her. “What’s this mean for school tomorrow? How is anybody gonna recognize me?”

“We’ll see the principal tomorrow morning, it’s that simple.”

I laughed. “Yeah, what’s the principal gonna say about this? What are we going to tell him? ‘Hi, Mr. Malski, a sorceress cursed me and I’m turning into a girl during this last week of school’?”

She put an arm around me. It felt comforting, to have my sister hugging me. “We’ll think of something. Don’t worry.”

I put my head on her shoulder as she put her other arm around me. This wasn’t the same type of brother/sister hug that I’d experienced before, this was a hug between sisters, a knowing, loving hug that siblings of opposite genders just don’t understand. It was a feeling I’d never had before.

I felt a tear drip down my cheek. Adam was gone. He was gone, he was dead, he was never coming back.

I wasn’t crying because he was gone, I wasn’t crying because I was happy, I wasn’t crying for any reason that made sense.

I was crying because I accepted what had happened.

33