Chapter Forty-Three: Propositions
1.8k 21 94
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Announcement
CW: Headache inducing stupidity, vivid imagery

“Slow down Bela,” Myri said as she embraced her panicking wife. “Take a deep breath and try to explain again. Why do you think she got kidnapped?”

“Yeah, aren’t you overreacting?”

Asabela sucked in a deep breath then slowly let it out. Meanwhile, we steadily walked down the main road.

“Okay. So, remember Riot asked permission to go out for a walk and I gave it to her?”

“Yes?” Myri responded.

“I made sure I told her to not stray away from our residence.”

“Right…but-” I started.

“Just hold on,” the vampire squid said. “So when we were making food, I figured I’d at least let her know in case she wanted any. I went around the entire perimeter, to no avail. Now she might have been a troublemaker when she was younger, but not once in her entire life has she ever just ignored something I told her. Especially when it was for her own good.”

“Okay, it sounds like you know your daughter,” I conceded with a twinge of jealousy. 

“Hmph naturally,” Asabela boasted.

“Well, I’m still her auntie and Mast-” 

“This conversation is cute and all, and I hope you both continue it…WHEN WE'RE NOT ACTIVELY SEARCHING FOR MY ANGEL!” Myri exploded. “Phew…now, I’m well aware you both become absolute boneheads when you’re around each other, but at least try to help.”

“Sorry.” we apologized scolding in unison.

Asabela and I were the best of friends, but try as we might, we both became complete idiots the second that we sparked up a conversation, regardless of the situation. There have been several times we’ve done it during life-threatening battles. But right now, with what’s going on, that is unacceptable.

As I was mentally berating myself, Asabela shouted.

“Oh! I found something!” she said as she bent down to get a closer look at what she had discovered.

Myri and I hurriedly scurried over to her. 

Sure enough, there was a feather laying on the ground.

Mau- I mean Riot had grown wings as her emotions rose with her realization. Pretty much confirming that she had become a spirit of some sort, even though it was already obvious. Not a species I recognized but a spirit nonetheless.

Before her walk, as her emotions calmed down, the wings melted back into her back, leaving me feeling a bit envious. As much as I loved my wings, they could be a hassle at times. Maybe I could learn how to do that too?

I’m getting off-topic. When the wings retracted, some of the feathers stayed on her clothes. Just like the one on the floor. 

I scooped it up and watched as the black feather turned to gold as I used one of my abilities. The ability, Golden Positioning Seeker, worked almost the same as the system that which it shared an acronym with. 

After a few minutes of analyzing, I got a location and wordlessly began sprinting in that direction. The other two followed quickly behind.

‘Hold on tight, Ma- RiRi…Yeah, I like that! Anyways, we’ll be there soon!’ 

 

—⁕🎕⁕—

 

Gary’s brain was in shambles as he watched the blade now embedded in his partner's mouth twitch.

He almost lost his lunch as it dove down Bob’s esophagus. 

He watched with disgusted awe as the blade wiggled it's way back up Bob’s throat, with the rope attached to it moving like a snake.

Gary’s awe turned into shock as the blade came back as a snake, bringing a glowing orb within its fangs.

The creature gave him the same deadeye look the angelic girl had given him and his partner before it promptly retracted.

It zipped its way from the chasm it made in the back of Bob’s head and seemed to almost fly around the room before it finally stopped at the palm of its owner. Gary watched almost in a trance, seemingly unconcerned about his well-being.

“Hey, you,” a melodic voice called out in a bored tone, shaking Gary from his stupor.

He looked around, trying to locate the owner of the voice.

“Helloooo,” it called out again.

Gary then figured out the voice belonged to the girl that was locked in the cell.

“Me?” he asked pointing to himself.

“Haah,” she sighed. “Yes, you. Who else could it be, we’re the only two in here…are you an idiot? Wait obviously you are, seeing as this is your occupation…please forgive me for asking such a dumb question.”

The insult flew completely over the snail man’s head, as he was too busy thinking about how perfect her voice sounded. Like a soft sweet melody. A lullaby that would put even the toughest guy to sleep.

“Anywho,” she continued, playing with the orb in her hand. “ I have a… proposition for you.”

The word proposition got Gary’s attention. It was one of his trigger words, as it generally meant money. Wait.

“A proposition for me?” He laughed, figuring out that the girl had no leverage. “Do you not realize the situation that you’re in?”

The golden-haired girl facepalmed.

“There’s no way someone can be this stupid….” She mumbled to herself.  

She cleared her throat.

“I just killed your partner…did you forget that already? Why wouldn’t I be able to do the same to you?”

Gary gulped. He hadn’t forgotten about the blade that made a tunnel through Bob’s head, but he felt confident that the girl wasn’t able to kill him, otherwise, she would have already.

He couldn’t stop the smile from creeping upon his face. 

She stared at him unblinking, her burning red eyes seemingly burning his very soul.

“It seems like you think that I can’t? Ehehe. Okay, just for fun, let’s say that you’re right. For some certain reason, I can’t kill you. Do you know where you took me from?”

Gary sat back, trying to understand the girl’s angle. After a few seconds of thought, he found himself stumped. He decided to bite the bullet and answer.

“From around…the queens’ residence.” He replied slowly, the connections clicking in his head. He internally cursed his now-dead partner.

“You finally understand, don’t you? Sometime soon, Queen Asabela, Archduchess Murua, and Ms. Myri will be busting down that door, with the intent to kill you.”

“You’re lying!” Gary shouted, trying to convince himself as he did so. “Why would such important people come out for some nobody like you?!”

The girl shrugged.

“If you think that’s the case, there’s nothing to worry about is there?”

The girl’s voice exuded utmost confidence. Gary found himself having no doubt that what she said was true. 

“S-so about that proposition.” He sputtered.

Better safe than sorry, he decided.

“Oh you’re interested now?” the little girl asked. 

He meekly nodded.

“If you answer my questions, and free me from this cage, I’ll convince them to spare your life. You’ll end up in jail, but that’s better than being dead isn't it?”

Gary opened his mouth to agree.

“Ye-”

“Actually, scratch that.” the blonde said, cutting him off. “I’m tired of being a damsel and waiting for people to come save me. Deal’s off.”

“What?!” 

“You do what I ask…or you die right here, right now.” she declared, crushing the orb for emphasis. 

 

I don't have much to say today. Other than thank you. Not only have we hit Trending like crazy lately, we just hit over a 100k views yesterday. I never thought that we'd get this far. I want to say thank you to you all for leaving a comment, a favorite, or simply just reading the story. I really do appreciate all the support! I hope you continue to walk with me! Thanks for reading!

  

94