Ch27 Mana Minecart Express
1.4k 13 56
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Let’s focus on the path over here in case something major happens to the otherkin in the kingdom. We can always build the other facilities later, but if people need to escape, a safe route will take precedence.”

Everyone nodded in agreement with what I had said.

“I received the location from the king already. Normally, he uses an intermediary, especially when dealing with me, but he likely wants to ensure there aren’t any mistakes. He also chose a location inside of the dome which is telling. It shows us he trusts us. If he didn’t, he would have put it outside of the dome and made us take the normal entrance.” Firth said, grinning.

“He likely doesn’t want to offend Godd— Lady Astrid.” Meeri said, correcting herself.

It really feels like they are doing that on purpose now. Maybe I should give it some more time, though.

“That is also true. I have already mapped out a design for the entry of the small tunnel so we can begin digging the human-sized tunnel to inside the walls of the kingdom. The construction will take a couple of years even if we get everyone on it immediately.” Minnette said.

“What about the trade? A human-only sized passageway won’t be good for transportation. We won’t be able to use a car to transport the goods and a custom that could fit would be too expensive.” Mais questioned, and  rightfully so. How would we transport books?!?

“We could expand it later, but as Lady Astrid said, we need to worry about getting people here first. Which would look best.” Kobric replied.

“We also need to feed them. While Lady Astrid’s farm is endless, setting up the logistics is going to be tough.” Dontas said, worried about our ability to feed the people who may migrate over from the kingdom. I could always make more farms. We just need to set up a plan.

They were right, but I had other plans I wanted to suggest first. I mean, I was the quickest way to get this project done. There were plenty of earth spells at my disposal for tunneling there, as well as transportation magic. Something more physically crafted would be better, though, so I proposed something from a book I had read the night before. “Why not highspeed minecarts like the dwarven miners used?”

“We have heard stories of dwarven inventions, but that knowledge is long lost to time.”

The edges of my lips crept into a grin. “Well, I just read the book ‘Setting Up A Dwarven Mining Mountain Volume 2: Transportation’. I am just unsure how to design it.”

Several council members’ jaws dropped, some so far that two fists could fit in. Firth was the first to regain his composure. “We dare not ask you to help us.”

They reminded me of when a fan club member would be stuck on a problem I had solved like a thousand years before but didn’t bother asking. Even if I didn’t have the answer, I could point them to what part of the library to start looking at. One of them had given themselves a funny name, ‘I am such a dork. I have been working on this for fifteen years and never asked’ The name sort of stuck and I would call them that from time to time. Though they sort of started taking it as a badge of honor, since it meant I had recognized their existence enough to give them the name.

“This is my domain, dorks. If you all have even the slightest idea of magic making it better, just ask me.” I said, shaking my head, giggling, remembering the past.

The council looked slightly confused, not recognizing the word. It was probably best not to call them that but Fienna and the Valwrecks’ kids were fair game.

“Yes, Lady Astrid. Could we get a list of what books you have read?” Mais asked.

“Unfortunately, it would take you a few years to read all the titles, let alone their summaries and mine. Just ask. At some point, I want to convert most of what we make into gem technology so that others can use the knowledge, but for now, we can do it with my magical abilities alone.”

Everyone nodded in agreement with my suggestion. Which had become pretty normal. I really wanted to see who would flat out disagree with me first. It would likely be Firth, but maybe someone else would. I am not always right. I feel I am mostly wrong since I always feel like I could have made a better choice later on.

“Could we get your design for a mine cart? I actually have gotten a chance to see some car designs.” Mais asked.

“I will just grab the image out of the book I most liked.” I dove into my memobrary and revisited the design I liked so I could pop out a replica. Once I got out of my memobrary, several copies of that page popped into my hand. I gave them out to the council members.

The design showed a wooden mine cart with three bench seats, each wide enough to fit two people. There was a space in the back to put your gear. Then, attached to the back of the cart was another empty one for high-quality mined material.

“So you can see the lead cart has seating and a spot for gear and the back cart is empty for minerals. You just add more carts of either depending on the size of your mining operation.” I said, remembering how the book had explained it.

“Why the wood? Wouldn’t it break? Also, how is it powered?” Mais asked, being the most knowledgeable one on the subject so far.

“It uses wood because it is lighter than metal and is easily enchantable to be sturdy. Druidic magic is fantastic for manipulating wood. As for its power, it comes from the people riding it. You contribute your mana to move it up to a maximum speed. They did this so no matter how tired people were, they could make it back. Even if they had a dead power source.” I explained.

“You mentioned that it is high-speed, wouldn’t the wind exert pressure on passengers,” Dontas said

“We could just add a cover. Like a dome,” Meeri said.

“Exactly, since we will be moving people frequently, it can move faster and easier if it doesn’t have a load. A dome cover is a great idea. Please come up with a design while I get t excavating the tunnel,” I said, wanting to get started on this project. It needed to be completed in a rush so people could escape from those villainous noble girls if things got worse.

“We shall get right on that. Is there anything you would like to include?” Mais said taking the lead on the project.

Something came to mind, and I overreacted slightly. “Yes! Those comfy seats are like in the cars. Oh! Also that air system!”

Most of the council looked down in shame. “We don’t have that kind of technology here. Sorry Lady Astrid,” Firth said, speaking up for the group like a good leader.

“Just include plans for it to the best of your abilities. I can emulate it when it comes time to put it together. I can just enchant most things to copy gem magic but no one else can do that so it is only a temporary substitute. Once we have time to slow down, my domain will progress.”

The council smiled with pride and excitement at my statement. I headed out but before I could leave, someone spoke up.

“Lady Astrid, here is the location sheet. Also, if you are going to create the tracks, shouldn’t you add a communication line to both ends? Also, wouldn’t you need a loading platform?” Guye said, pulling out a covered paper in the mess.

I took it from his hand even though I had memorized it the second I had seen it. “Thank you. That is great input. Why don’t you come with me? Your input on the waiting areas is needed. I need the people around me to speak up, not only tag along in the conversation and input after I speak.” I said, noticing the room go tense at my obviously chiding remark. Hopefully, this would nudge them into take more initiative.

Guye followed me through the tunnels to the proposed entrance. He seemed to be the most confident since he spoke up, so I took him along. I could change things later if needed, but getting it right the first time was good as well. I wanted to tell Don to announce the free travel like the second this was done. The safety of the otherkin was weighing on me.

“Please speak up if you have any input while I am excavating the tunnel,” I said to Guye.

Guye nodded “Yes, Lady Astrid.”

“So I will start with a spiral staircase down a little over twenty meters down,” I said, raising my hands to start blasting a geomancy disintegration spell. I preferred this one since it would avoid harming living things.

“Lady Astrid, I have something to say,” Guye said nervously.

Good job! He actually spoke up! “Yes, what is it?”

“Could you please do stairs one long way with stop off platforms? The pathway to the mushrooms is dizzying and people have slipped and fallen many times. Luckily, there are medicinal mushrooms at the bottom.”

I felt like such a dork. “Uh yeah. Can we fix that?” I said, sounding dejected.

“Yes, don’t worry, Lady Astrid, we are adding a handrail. It is just hard to get the supplies,” he said quickly, trying to soothe me. His tail swooshed side to side almost like it was asking to be floofed. Gah too cute! I need to pet them. I probably shouldn't think like this, it was really rude. They aren't the bears in the library.

“Remind me to fix that when we get back,” I said, turning back to making the now platformed stairs. I emitted light the width of the geomancy disintegration spell and started digging downward, cutting out the needed tunnel. After we reached the correct depth, I gave it the same pleasant look the other tunnels had. Then I put in some handrails along the walls.

“How does it look?” I asked Guye. Unsure of myself after having messed up the last set of stairs I made.

“Your magic is so amazing, Lady Astrid. It is wonderful.”

“How big should the main area be?”

“Half the size of the mushroom farm should be good. It will probably become a major trade point. “

I nodded and cleared out the area, then cleaned it up. Then I created the start of the oval tracks by creating a platform for people to step into the cart. I remembered the need for a communication method, so I made a stone pedestal with a gem on top that would link up with a stone at the other end. I cast the first half of the connection spell. Once connected, it worked by sending motes of mana back and forth.

“Alright, this is going to be the long part. I will be carving out the tunnel, adding a railing, and cleaning up the walls. Any specific thoughts before we start?”

“What about lighting?”

“Oh, good idea. It would get kinda scary in here in the dark. I forget that dark vision isn’t a common attribute. Does glow stone sound nice?”

“Yes, that is purfect.” He covered his mouth as his cat's ear perked out of his hair. “I am sorry for speaking improperly. I just learned it from some of the other otherkin. It’s how we talk sometimes.”

“Improperly? That is too cute. You are all just the most adorable.” I said, then covered my mouth, feeling that I was being super rude. I was literally acting like my fan club. “I apologi—”

He stiffened up like a cat whose tail was grabbed. His fists tightened shaking on his sides. “No, don’t apologize. You are doing far too much for us to do that.” he snapped back then he covered his mouth.

“No, I shouldn’t treat you like that. It’s wrong to treat you similar to a cute toy, like an object. I just love how cute you all look.”

“No, that’s not how we take it. You are literally the being we worship. You are our light. And you recognize us. Not to mention  that you think highly of us and want to protect us and compliment us.” He started breathing heavily and panting, his breaths picking up as small tears started to well up in his eyes which grew increasingly red with each passing word. 

“Everyone else with power just thinks we are mutants but, but you think we are cute, which is the opposite of what the nobles have said all these years. We just don’t know how to handle it. I, I just don't know how to handle it—” Guye trailed off, small tears rolling down his face.  His ears and tail drooping down.

His speech froze me in place. I snapped out of it and went over and held him like the bears always held me. His body was trembling softly within my embrace and small tears dribbled off the side of his face. It had been a long time since someone had cried around me, longer than I could remember, and now wasn’t a good time to go to my memory lane. I definitely felt things moving in my emotions and I wanted to comfort him so I tried to remember what my mom did when I was little.

My heart sank as I felt the trembling man in my arms. As I thought of all the other citizens that had gone through the same discrimination and I felt a lump in my throat as I empathized with the crying man. 

“Shh, it’s okay,” I said like my mother always had when I was stressed out. I had literally broken down an adult with my kindness. Maybe I am greater than I think. Maybe I should act how they view me? I don't know what to do. This isn’t in any book.

“I was exiled for speaking up. I was well read and in the service of a nobles’ daughter. She had quoted some incorrect health advice to her friends and I had offered up the real quote so she didn’t look bad when it caused her shame when her friends got sick if they listened. She scoffed and lashed insults at me. Calling me a mangey cursedkin along with a slew of other insults to show her friends how smart she was. They just laughed along pointing and gawking.” he said with his lips quivering every few words.  His eyes were wide open as he relayed the memories of what he had gone through. The insults, slurs, and isolation. All poured out of him through his tears. 

“I don’t like to, but I just couldn’t let you fail. I truly believe in you. Even if you aren’t an actual goddess, like you try to say you're not. I believe in you.” he stuttered out sniffling, trying to stop his tears. 

I felt something shifte inside of me, but I pushed that aside to care for Guye. “Shh, let’s just stand here. It’s okay, I am going to do my best to fix all of this.” Those girls need to be reeducated, maybe a few levels in the dungeon would sort them out.

We stayed there for a while before he pulled away. “I am well, thank you, Lady Astrid. Let’s get this built. Please don’t tell the others.” He said, shaking his head and regaining composure.

“Okay, let’s get this done. I don’t feel like walking it either.” I said, pulling a book out of my dimensional storage.

He tilted his head, bemused by what he saw.

“What is this you ask? It is a book travelers’ book.” I said, whipping it at the ground, sending my mana coursing through it, causing it to activate. The magenta-colored book flipped open and hovered above the ground, pages flapping back and forth. I then grew its size to fit the two of us.

“While not as comfy as a car, it is just as efficient at travel,” I said, stepping on top of the book covers hard surface, holding out my hand for Guye. He stepped on, taking my hand to gain his balance. “Now watch me do my magic.”

The book floated forward as I followed the process of boring out earth materialscleaning up the walls and flooradding tracksadding lightsrepeating as I made my way to the kingdom underground.

It was going to take all day at this rate, so I opened up some of that other source of mana and allowed it into me to make it so I could increase my speed tenfold. I threw up a wind barrier so Guye wouldn’t be knocked off. We zoomed directly at the kingdom. Within an hour, the process was done. I created an exact clone of the Astraville side at the other end, leading to just below the surface. I used an earth-sense spell to see through to the other side. The area was clear and ready to go. If I even caught a slight hint of an issue, I could flood people in. A mass teleportation spell was also possible, but it was harder to aim.

“Well, all that’s left is to set up the cart and the building. I think we are done for now.” I said, turning to see how Guye was handling it.

“I agree that you have done enough, but could we go back? I really need to rest. Can I sit down on the way back?” he said, looking queasy and disoriented.

I realized I had taken him for quite the ride of emotions and then a high-speed trip. “Yeah, let’s head back. Yes, go ahead, but it’s not soft yet like a car but will be after I change it tonight.”

When we got back, he thanked me again, and we went our separate ways. I quickly went and fixed the handrail issue. I then headed off to grab Liz for the talks about the trade agreements. 

56