Side Chapter 10- Making Mirrors
9.4k 31 342
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Blake POV]

It’s been a few days since Luna brought me some orichalcum and I’ve been forging away trying to make those mirrors.  It has been difficult since this is the first time I’ve done anything with orichalcum and I don’t want to mess it up.

 

I got to a stopping point in today’s forging so I could get some lunch.  I went into the shop and found an old dragonkin man waiting for me.

 

“How can I help you?”

 

The dragonkin looked at me for a few more seconds before responding.

 

“I came here to meet you after hearing about you from that kitsune girl and I must say, you’re quite the excellent smith.  The name’s Reve.”

 

“Blake, Blake Smith.  I heard from Luna to expect you coming here.”

 

“That’s good.  Mind if I watch you work for a bit?”

 

“That should be fine, though it will have to wait for after lunch.  Come back in half an hour and I’ll be ready.”

 

“Then I’ll be back.”

 

The old dragonkin Reve left the shop and I went to get something to eat.  I finished quickly and 30 minutes later he showed back up.  I let him into the back and we went to my forge.

 

“What is it you’re currently working on, boy?”

 

“Luna commissioned two orichalcum mirrors and I’ve been trying to finish them.  It’s been tough since I haven’t worked with orichalcum before.”

 

“Working with orichalcum takes some patience,  while the work you’ve done so far is good, but it could be better.  The fire needs to be hotter from what I can tell.”

 

“I figured as much, but this is the best I can do at the moment.”

 

“Let this old man help you out then.  From past experience, to get the best out of orichalcum, you need some dragon fire, so you’re in luck that I came here when I did.  Though it’s still far from the genuine thing, I am a dragonkin, so my flames should be enough.”

 

He then spit some fire from his mouth into the furnace and the flames turned to an electric blue color.  The heat I could feel coming from the furnace was so extreme, I thought my furnace would melt.

 

“Hahahaha, don’t worry, boy.  Your furnace will be fine.  Now, start on your work and I’ll tell you anything that needs improvement.”

 

I did what he said and continued.  I kept working until nightfall and managed to finish the first mirror.

 

“That’s one down, now I just need to make the second one and add some things to make it look good.”

 

“I’m impressed, boy.  The last time I saw such good work from another person was when my teacher was still alive.  As thanks for showing me such good work, I’ll come back tomorrow to help again.  After that, I can teach you some of my techniques and pass on my knowledge.”

 

“Are you sure you want to do that?”

 

“Yeah, though I am a dragonkin, I’m still mortal.  I can tell I only have a few years left in this world and I want to make sure my teacher’s techniques live on.  I’ve tried to find worthy students for a long time, but none of them have ever been qualified enough.  You on the other hand, have what it takes.”

 

“I’d be happy to take up your offer.”

 

“That’s good to hear.  With the skills you already possess, you’ll be able to learn everything quickly.  I’ll come back tomorrow at the same time as today, so until then, boy.”

 

Old man Reve said that and left.  I went inside, cleaned myself, and talked with Ana and Soleil.  I told them about Reve and what he told me before he left which shocked the both of them.

 

“So, you’re going to learn some smithing from someone?  I though you maxed out the skill?” (Soleil)

 

“I did, but you can always learn and improve.” (Blake)

 

“You said that his name was Reve, correct?” (Ana)

 

“I did. Why?” (Blake)

 

“It sounds familiar, I just don’t remember where I heard it before.  I’ll ask Amagi tomorrow if she knows anything.” (Ana)

 

The next day, I prepared everything I needed for the second mirror and waited for old man Reve to arrive.  Once he did, we got to work right away.  With his help, I finished the forging part in two days.  Once that part was done, I moved onto decorating the mirrors.  I took inspiration from a game for the design and it turned out well.

 

“The finished product is very nice, boy.”

 

“Thanks.  Now I just need to wait for Luna to show up and enchant them, and they’ll be done.”

 

“What kind of enchantment is the kitsune girl going to enchant them with?”

 

“Space magic.”

 

“I see, that explains the need for orichalcum then.  Do you know why she wants two mirrors?”

 

“She’s going to give one to her future wife so that they can see each other over long distances.”

 

“Interesting.  How long until she comes to get them?”

 

“She should be here tomorrow.  I told her I would be done in a week.”

 

“Good, I feel like something special will happen when she enchants them.”

 

“Care to explain what you mean?”

 

“My eyes are special.  Just like dragons are drawn to things of value, my eyes tell me when there is something valuable.  I use this to judge my and other’s work as well as the potential in people.  It’s the reason I only make things for particular people like the Belmont clan.  The reason I think something special will happen is because I couldn’t use this ability on the kitsune girl when I met her.”

 

“Wouldn’t that mean she has no potential?”

 

“The opposite actually.  It means that her potential is so great that I can’t comprehend it.  The last person that was like that was the first summoned hero.  Now, since we have to wait, let me start on teaching you.”

 

I spent the rest of the day learning from Reve.  His techniques were complicated and he did things that I never could have thought up.  Most of them required the use of flames I could never hope to make with simple fire magic.

 

“I like that you’re teaching me these things, but I can’t make a fire like this on my own.”

 

“Don’t worry about that, boy.  When I’m done teaching you, you’ll get something that will take care of that.”

 

The next day at around noon, Luna showed back up.

 

“I’m back, Blake.  Oh, hello there, old man Reve.  I didn’t expect this.” (Luna)

 

“Hey Luna, come with me and you can enchant the mirrors.” (Blake)

 

“Hello lass, thanks for telling me about him.  He’s been a very interesting person.” (Reve)

 

All three of us went to where the mirrors were.  When Luna saw them, a wide grin spread across her face.

 

“Fufufufufufu.  I like the design you went with.  It’s very fitting.” (Luna)

 

“That’s why I went with what I did.  Mind if we watch the enchanting?” (Blake)

 

“No reason you can’t.  I’m going to start now.” (Luna)

 

She extended her arms towards the mirrors and started the enchanting process.  It took a few minutes but when she was done, a bright light flashed in the room.  It was so bright that we were forced to close our eyes.  When we opened them again, both mirrors were floating and gave off a feeling that I haven’t felt since the time the God of Summoning brought all of the heroes to his domain.”

 

I appraised the mirrors and was surprised at what I saw.

 

Divine Mirrors of Moon and Stars: Twin divine artifacts created by a master smith and a Fated one.  Using these will allow for face-to-face communication between the owners of the mirrors.

 

<Conditions Met: Title: Artifact Crafter obtained>

 

I appraised the new title I got.

 

Artifact Crafter: Title obtained by a mortal that assisted in the creation of a divine artifact.  Holders of this title will be given the opportunity to become the Apostle of Blacksmithing.

 

“Boy, these mirrors have become something that even I have never managed to make.  My eyes are telling me that they are the pinnacle of what can be made by mortals.” (Reve)

 

“This is so much better than what I thought.  I don’t think an extra piece of orichalcum is enough payment for this.” (Luna)

 

“Don’t worry about that Luna, you told old man Reve about me, and he’ll teach me things, so it’s fine.” (Blake)

 

“If you say so.” (Luna)

 

She took the mirrors and put them into her inventory.

 

“Thanks again, Blake.  Next time I get my hands on some orichalcum, I’ll bring it to you.” (Luna)

 

She went back through the door she came from and was gone.

 

“Now boy, let’s get back to me teaching you.”

 

“Lets.”

 

Author's Note:
Second chapter of the day.  Here is what I want the mirrors to look like but I suck at descriptions: https://twitter.com/fgo_english/status/1079794659596034050  Thanks for reading.

342