23 KEEP YOUR SECRET
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The excited chatter around them threw anger and elation from side to side. Eli barely held on. If not for Slade putting her hand around his waist and yanking him closer, he would have lunged at the brigade captain and bitten out his throat.

Despite the buzzing chaos all around, they continued to stare each other down.

"I'm sorry," Lomos whispered. "An army of werewolves is one thing. Look at what is out there. You two were the ones going on about keeping him. What'd you expect!"

Eli charged but a force slammed him down.

Slade still whispered as she approached, muttering the commands to keep Eli on the ground. She crouched and rubbed his face then throat.

"I don't mind it," she promised. "You shouldn't either. It's for a good cause. Think of it. What would you do if it was ours? You'd lie to any god's face to keep us safe."

Gut still roiling, Eli growled. He hadn't allowed his wolf to surface but the creature was poised and more than ready to rise up.

"What's happened?" Franklin shouted, rounding the table to meet them. "What have you done, vampire? What have you done to him? Let him up. Your jealousy is unwarranted here."

Slade put her forehead against Eli's shoulder and whispered, "If this can work, if human babies can find safety, think about what this would mean for us—for ours."

That sweet promise rushed through Eli, dragging any sense of rage out. Ours. She'd said ours. Eli breathed out a low sigh and managed a nod.

Upon being released from the incantation, Eli dragged himself up to stand and dusted himself off.

His father beamed, boastful and proud. "My boy." He debated something but came to a conclusion. "Were you trying to barter with them? Was that it? A primate in return for his freedom?"

Eli cast Lomos a glance. The fear and desperation he found there had him telling his father, "Something like that. Father, I'm sorry—"

"Nonsense. You should have come to me sooner." Franklin shouted his praise. "The first wolf from our family born after that tragedy. We must find him. We must protect him."

The thunderbird pixie zipped forward. "If it looks like a human and smells like a human, the thunderbirds request permission to end it," the pixie bellowed.

"Absolutely not." Franklin glanced back at his fellow wolf elders and received solemn nods. All but one wolf lent support. "A werewolf is a werewolf, no matter the form." He considered something and told the pixie, "We will retrieve the child. If he's been sired by a werewolf, no matter appearances, he must remain safe."

In a flash, the pixie faded then reappeared again. "Thunderbirds repeat the previous request."

"The thunderbirds are denied said request. My bloodline was nearly wiped out and I'll be damned to hell before I give up on my grandchild. Anyone to harm this baby is the werewolves' enemy and more than likely the enemy of all ground animals we can gather." He searched the remaining ally's for help. "We all knew this was a possibility. We all knew. As humans make up parts of so many of us, an anomaly here or there was expected."

Another pixie hovered before him. "Yes. We all knew. And it was the decree by the wolves that stated to kill it on sight."

"Yes...but..." Franklin blanched. "I rescind that order. All wolves will agree to rescind it."

"Please," Eli said, unaware of where his own boldness came from. "The vampires wouldn't have had a chance to take him if I could have presented him to everyone outright."

Franklin took a step back. "You—you gave him to them?"

Eli swallowed hard. Words rushed through him but all he could utter was the same defense Lomos used. "Vampires would keep him alive. What choice did I have?" He scanned the crowd, getting far too comfortable with this act. "Would any of you dare say you'd have done things differently if you were in my place?"

A collective silence fell over them until Franklin chuckled. It held little joy and more embarrassment but he struck Eli's back.

"Of course. Of course." He calmed and focused on Slade. "The both of you—"

"It's not mine," Slade interjected.

The collective sigh of relief wasn't lost on either her or Eli. If she'd kept her mouth shut, they could have at least seen how things would play out. Eli regretted her arbitrary action but when he glanced at her and she shook her head, he nodded. This was the right action—saving that baby.

Franklin took his son by the shoulders, pride dripping from his mouth as he said, "All this...all this was for the right reasons. I'd thought you'd stolen it for...for her. You'd thrown us away for her. I'd hated you. Beyond words, imagination, I've hated you. But to hear this, to hear this wonderful news...." He sucked in a deep breath and fell on one knee, head bowed. "Forgive me."

The collective gasp was shared by Eli who hurried to help him up. "No. Stand. Stand, please. I don't need any supplication. Please."

This was bad. And when his father stood and embraced him, Eli caught sight of Lomos's shock and he knew—this was worse than bad.

Someone clapped—maybe Slade but within seconds the cheers filled the entire tent. Franklin nodded at all the hand-shakes and slaps on the arms he'd garnered.

"Save the congratulations," Franklin said, "and let's formulate a strategy to get the boy back unharmed.

For the first time, Slade interrupted the talks. "Send in an envoy," she suggested. "Let's try diplomacy."

"Nonsense." Franklin dismissed her with a wave of the hand. "We have succubuses. They'll go in and scout for a night then tell us their movement. We go in, strike, and return."

"Succubus?" Eli asked, feeling queasy, "Is that a normal strategy?"

"When confronting a vampire? Of course," Franklin answered with a laugh. "They can put everyone to sleep and they are guaranteed to observe any vampire at close proximity."

Eli swallowed hard. "But...they can't be seen by a couple with genuine affection?"

"Affection?" Franklin spat. "It's a vampire. What affection? This is the most effective strategy and it's been proven again and again. We will send them without delay. Don't you worry, my boy." Franklin slapped Eli's shoulder. "This new grandfather will make it all right in no time." His eyes settled on Slade. "No offense, but we'd rather not have a vampire here eavesdropping."

Within minutes, Slade was cast out. Eli and Lomos traded a glance.

As the elders converged and strategized, Eli eyed Lomos.

The werewolf finally snapped, "What?"

"It won't work."

Lomos wouldn't look at him. Instead, he watched the table and the creatures there. "Course it will."

"Not on Manny. And not on Trixie. He actually likes her."

The way Lomos froze would have been comical at any other time. He rotated his head to look Eli in the eye. "Impossible."

"It was supposed to be impossible but I'm telling you, it's not gonna work. Any succubus sent in won't see him. They'll see the baby but that won't be enough."

Lomos backed up until he found the tent entrance. He slipped out. Eli kept his eyes on the crowd as he followed. Once they greeted the night air, he felt empty.

"What do we do now?" Eli asked.

The wolf brigade captain sounded hollow. "Go back and pray for forgiveness."

Considering that Lomos hadn't lost his ability to shift, Eli suspected that decision had never been far from his mind.

"Then go," Eli urged him. "Warn your brigade of what's to come."

Lomos at least looked pensive when he bowed his head, unhooked his kilt, and started off toward the forest. Once he shifted and ran into the trees, he faded from view.

This was bad. Manny had more than an advantage, he must have had Fate on his side for so many favorable factors to fall into place. Did the Fates want the vampire covenant broken as well?

A quick scan of the grounds gave no indication of where Slade went. She wouldn't be far. Once Eli found her, he had to convince her to think of their hides. Lomos's baby would only be safe until a DNA test came back. And what of the mother? Was she a vampire?

He wanted to find a quiet place to talk to his father. But equally, he wanted to act like the man never existed. A familiar voice called his name.

Instinct drove Eli to freeze but he regained his senses and walked on like nothing'd happened.

"Eli," Sarah called, dodging two playful wolf pups. "Eli. You made it. I was afraid when I didn't see you at the gathering. I have so much to tell you."

As shitty as it would be to walk away, Eli considered that course of action. Finally, he let out a sigh and turned to face her. What was she doing here?

"Did you see?" Sarah took hold of his hands, at peace. "Did you see my messages to you?"

Since entering this misguided quest, Eli donned only a kilt. Now, despite that fact, he felt exposed.

He was sure to take his hands back. "How are you, Sarah?"

"Oh, so you do remember me. What with me being your fiancée." She wrestled with something then said, "When did you arrive? Did you bring anybody else?"

"What exactly are you doing here?" Eli demanded. "I'd never imagine you in anything like this."

"It's a war, isn't it?" Sarah asked. "After Sovereign Sophie got arrested, things just came untethered."

"War?" Eli scoffed. "You do like to embellish." He always hated that about her. But she didn't defend herself. There was no need. Her long auburn hair was cropped at her shoulders. Rather than her usual designer outfits, she wore a simple kilt and shawl that ended mid torso. If she wanted to sell that this was a time of necessity, she was going the extra mile. Now when Eli took in the packed campground, he tried to give her the benefit of the doubt. "Why would you think this was a war?"

"Nothing's been announced. But this is a good strategic point but...I've heard rumors, whispers. Vampires. Someone's said there's a vampire sovereign up there, and he's strong." She looked from right to left and, upon finding no one, she whispered, "They say he's fully powered. But Eli, how's that possible?"

When she reached for his hand again out of comfort, he dodged her hold.

"We need to talk," he said. "As soon as possible. There's something I've got to tell you."

Sarah's usual pale face shined radiant today. "Me, too."

Eli prayed it was news of the same vein—that she found someone and was moving on. He had a feeling he wasn't going to be that lucky.

"You should talk to your father," she said. "He was worried about you. You were all he could talk about, even when we came here."

"Yeah," Eli grumbled, "I bet."

"What?"

"Nothing." He wondered when the best time was but concluded that the sooner the better. "We need to talk."

When he repeated those words, Sarah's calm features showed ripples. "Yes. You've said that. And I have to talk to you."

"Me first," Eli insisted. He couldn't meet her gaze so he stared at her throat then her chest then her throat again. "You know...I hold you in high esteem. In high regard."

Sarah backed away, eyes wild. "Why does this sound like a breakup?"

Eli let out a held breath and said, "I slept with Sophie." The audible gasp conjured up guilt, but he summoned the courage to meet her blue eyes and confessed, "And I'm gonna sleep with her again. It's...when I'm with you, I feel like I'm betraying her. I...."

Face twisted in fright and horror, Sarah took a step back. "But...but.... Two weeks ago. Two weeks ago, we—"

"That was her idea." Eli confessed, "She woke up beside me in bed and...and she freaked out. That's why I didn't have any condoms left—"

The strike shut him up.

Sarah trembled. "You.... You and Sophia Dresden. Why do you keep fooling yourself? What kind of life is that supposed to be? She's a vampire! Basic law: wolves and vampires don't misx."

Her voice was loud enough to attract several eyes on them. Eli couldn't focus on her. Instead, he looked past her but answered, "I love her. I've always loved her. Hell, I only wanted to marry you because she chose you and this would prove my love for her."

On any normal day, her onset of tears would deter him. Today was different.

"And I regret being with you two weeks ago. I wasn't in my right mind. I was crazy. I was out of it. I can't say I even recognized you."

His tone wasn't harsh or forceful but the finality in his words tore a sob from her.

What shocked him was how relieved he felt. He didn't feel guilty or...wrong. This felt right.

"But...but," was all she could utter.

"I'm sorry," Eli said. "But I don't love you. I never have. I never will. I'm sorry."

He wasn't—not even slightly—but it seemed like the right thing to say. She, on the other hand, offered nothing to him.

Instead of standing there gawking at one another, he resolved to find Slade and figure out what the hell their next move was. And more importantly, convey the fact that Manos Dresden was not to be underestimated.

He turned to walk away but Sarah grabbed his arm. "Eli...."

Whatever she had to say died, swallowed down by the gasp when a strong hand came down on her shoulder. Eli suffered the same fate.

"Oh, so it is you!" Sarah's father said, beaming. "Oh good. Did she ask you about naming the baby after me yet? Kinda surprised to see the one. Usually we have three or more but hey, I won't judge," he promised, chuckling.

Eli looked between them. "Sorry?"

Sarah's father was a heavyset man, graying at the beard and temples, so it came as a surprise to Eli that the man looked sheepish if not shy. "What?" He asked his daughter, "Does he not know yet?"

"No. I...we were getting to that."

Eli blacked out. That was to say, he blocked them out. He couldn't hear Sarah's coded pleas to not reveal the breakup, or her father's insincere apology. Instead, he thought back on one thing and one thing only.

Davenport.

And he'd said it. He'd said it and he was right. He saw this coming a mile away.

0