32 THE NEXT AXE
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Slade would regret nothing more in life than the moment she decided to put her body between an angel and a baby harpy. Arms wrapped around Trixie, shielding her, Slade moved as rapidly as she could to prevent the creature from going around to gain an opening area.

When the thing landed and tilted its head back, Trixie drooped. It didn't even matter if they were touching, so long as they were close.

"That's right," Davenport said, inching his way closer, fire sword drawn. "Drink your fill. I'll be taking that foresight."

Something slammed into his throat, taking him off the ground. "That's my kid," Manny growled, ax in hand, "as far as I know. I dare you to touch it."

But Slade had bigger problems; Trixie weakened with each second. "Brother!"

Manny looked up at Davenport then down at the child again. He debated which he should hold onto.

Instead of letting Davenport go, he tried calling to the child. "Hey. Hey."

"She's not a damn chicken, you moron." Slade pulled Trixie as close as she dared. "Brother, she's shivering."

Manny growled and threw Davenport a good distance. Once he rushed the baby harpy, he picked her up and patted her head. "Hey. None of that. Stop. Come on." He winced. "I can't get it to stop. She won't stop feeding."

It was having an effect because all the flames rose up, fading into a blue glow before shooting to the baby harpy's open mouth.

"The fire," Manny said, gasping.

"You mean the only thing keeping the other harpy's back. Yes, I'm aware of that." Slade looked down at Trixie then told Manny. "Give us distance. Please. I don't care how much of your runes it requires."

Manny gave a nod then vanished. He slammed back into the ground a second later, still with the child in his hold.

"It's no use. It's like she's anchored me. I can't get her detached."

Slade picked her head up. "Brother, do you hear something?"

"I hear it. This time, I hear it." Manny watched her, then took a step back and shut his eyes.

"Idiot—"

A force slammed into him, tearing a gasp from Trixie who opened her eyes.

The truck broke through the speed Gateway, the dwarf at the wheel. "Not again," she complained.

Eli jumped out of the passenger seat.

He came ready for a fight but froze when he saw Trixie. "Is she all right?"

"Not even slightly." Slade struggled with her. "Help me get her in. No less than thirty harpies are about to descend on us. Get my brother."

Both Eli and the dwarf traded a glance.

Eli groaned and rushed to find what was left of Manny.

The witches still gathered around their fallen. Tears in her eyes, the young witch stood and promised, "We'll give you time. You have my word."

With everyone clamored into the back of the truck, Slade glanced from the young witch to the body of her mother.

"I'm sorry," Slade said. She fought to say more. Two words weren't enough.

"She knew what she was doing. This was her choice. You must understand something, prepare yourself, too. Harpies only give birth when their time is over."

Slade's throat tightened. She trembled but said nothing when she climbed into the trailer and the dwarf slammed it shut.

The familiar awful rumble couldn't come fast enough.

"Can we trust this dwarf?" Slade asked.

Eli went about resetting Manny's bones. "As much as she can trust us." He gave Slade a weak smile. "The two puncture holes in her throat say otherwise."

He looked almost proud. Slade didn't feel it. Manny's bones cracked and popped as he healed. What was striking about him was how he, even after taking the full force of the truck, still curled up around the baby harpy.

Something slammed into the trailer, nearly tipping them over.

"Davenport," Eli gasped. "I can smell him."

Manny picked his head up. "Let him in."

A whomp sound came and Manny sat up in protest.

"No. Let that bastard in first—"

Thunder cracked and they were in motion.

"Fuck!" He risked looking down at the baby harpy resting in his hold. "She's down at least. Probably something similar to the headache I had. I suspect she won't be for long." He met Slade's gaze. "That's why I said let that moron in so she can feed on him instead."

Slade wanted to punch him. "Listen to yourself! We have harpies ready to take our heads because of you!"

"Not because of me. You heard them. It was my Legion, not me."

"And why would the Legion kill our food supply, dumbass?"

The intercom chipped in. "If I may interject."

They all looked up as Barbra's voice called over the speakers.

"Rebranding."

Slade traded a glance with her brother then focused on Eli.

"I'll explain it. Just...is she all right?"

Trixie sat with her wings encompassing her.

"I don't know," Slade admitted. "I don't know if any of us are okay." A thought occurred and she asked, "Do you know who Legion is? Really?"

Eli nodded. "I know. And that's why I think...." He met Slade's gaze. "There's no winning."

Those meager words had Slade watching the floor.

"It's the one true god," Manny muttered, eyes fixed on the creature he held. "The god of man." He asked Eli, "Right?"

Unwilling to meet his gaze, Eli nodded. "When did you know?"

Manny glanced at Trixie but not for long. "The moment she changed into a fucking angel."

He said it like it meant everything but to Slade, it was all nonsense.

Eli explained, "Before the humans got wiped out, a Legion approached the dwarfs. More specifically, Davenport approached them. He was offering what the vampires had. Eternal life. Dwarfs need only break their covenant and reform one with Legion. Imagine a world grafted onto ours. And it's a world of deities where followers are currency. We're currency."

Slade shook her head. "That still doesn't make sense. The witches said brother's Legion started this and that they knew man would get wiped out."

"No. I don't think they did," Eli insisted. "I think they were trying to get the wolves to turn and abandon the vampires."

"Why?" Slade wailed.

"Because our covenant was ending." Manny held the bird close to his chest. "And we had an advantage. The other vampire factions all wanted to demand more. We ruled the entire earth for Legion. I was there for the talks, that's how I know about it."

Eli agreed, "Barbra said dwarfs were seriously considering it, but ultimately said no. Everyone in attendance was taken over. Davenport just snapped. That mess up banished him to this realm to fix it."

Slade struggled to understand. "That doesn't explain why they'd snip the wolves."

"To leave us with no protection," Manny said with a chuckle. "I get it." He met Slade's gaze and said, "No wolves, less power."

"It's more than that," a weak voice said.

Slade wasn't sure where it came from until she focused on Trixie.

"Trix, it's okay," Slade soothed. "We'll figure it out. You don't have to risk it."

"Vampires threw their weight around, making it hard for Legion to recruit. So they set out to cut their power. They didn't anticipate that the other Children of Runes would slaughter the humans since it would further weaken their oppressors. Their gods didn't take kindly to Legion trying to spread. It was a stupid mistake and one they didn't intend to correct quickly, because they knew they didn't have to."

She didn't show herself from behind those wings.

For the first time, Slade contributed. "Because werewolves and vampires make human babies."

"Exactly," Eli agreed. "So they decided to let the vampires starve."

Manny nodded. "Yup. So that we'd be out of our minds and willing to accept any deal. Even a covenant that would never end."

Trixie's voice came with a scoff, "They hadn't counted on the damn sovereign of Dresden wanting to either stay starved or break the covenant. And they sure as hell didn't count on vampires taking to primates. It was all one big shit show. One that Davenport was tasked to remedy. With the help of this dwarf."

Slade picked her head up. "What?"

Trixie's wings receded to reveal the smug look. "You're dealing with a disgraced Legion looking for redemption who can't see the future. Only the past." She met Manny's gaze. "He knew you'd shove me into a truck. And he knew when."

Manny gritted his teeth. "It was an accident—"

"It was no accident! It was you. It was you and your stupid temper. You think this fucking truck coming twice was a coincidence?"

"Wait. It was my idea, though," Eli insisted. "Not hers."

Trixie gave off a sigh. "When this truck stops, the army of angels to greet us will summon Legion, and render what they need to render." She stared Slade head on. "If we're lucky, they'll rend us quickly."

Manny considered her words and stood. Holding the child with his right, he flipped the latch and yanked it up to reveal a winged army at their back, traveling the speed Gateway with them.

"Sonofabitch. Perfect." Manny turned to give Slade a smile. "Would you say you'd have thought I'd break this egg and steal its runes ten years ago?"

"Ten years? Try ten days."

"Good." Manny pressed his back against the wall and laughed. "Then he was, too. Hindsight doesn't mean shit when people change." He told Trixie, "Summon Legion. Do it now."

She stared him down, defiant. Finally, she met Slade's gaze and snapped her fingers.

Slade went rigid. A warmth coursed through her and her lips moved off their own volition.

"We are trying to be patient. Once you've come to a stop, however, the outcome is out of our hands."

"Listen very carefully," Manny held the baby harpy out. "I'm about to let this thing go. In which time, it'll consume the closest, strongest rune it can find."

Legion wasn't impressed.

Not until Manny said, "This fucking Gateway."

Slade's stomach dropped.

"And it'll trap each and every one of your flying ilk in here. It will also set off a chain reaction and collapse maybe all of them. Either way, your precious 'minions,' all gifted with foresight, can see you being taken down by the vampires once more. Try keeping your authority then."

The fury that burned inside Slade wasn't one she could define. In time, she said, "Name your terms of negotiations."

"Same as they always were. Whatever I care about stays safe."

Legion considered his words then said, "Acceptable. Return to the manor and prepare your sacrifice."

0