Chapter 19 – Troubled Kingdom, Troubled Hearts
1.5k 7 78
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I find myself walking down the street towards the inn with Avilia again, just as we’ve done for the last two weeks. It feels like she’s become attuned to the schedule of my lessons and knows pretty much exactly when to show up. She doesn’t really have time to come look at me study anymore, but that’s alright. Her having a job is a good thing, even if the tasks sound rather menial. Hell, I might end up joining her once my lessons are done. It might be a good idea to use the adventuring guild as an excuse to leave the village, too.

After some more testing the alterations Karine did to my arms, she declared them a total success. I mean, I’d say so, too. Oh, sure, I can see how this might have its drawbacks compared to having organic arms to cast with, but as substitutes go, this couldn’t get much better! I bet it’d be easier to interfere with the magic circuits of my arms than with the natural flow of organic bodies.

But hey, as long as people don’t know about my limbs, they won’t know to even try something like that!

My software is still analyzing the full effects, though. So far, everything seems rather promising. Using magic isn’t interfering with the normal function of my arms. It’s a bit different how it’s been in most fiction, for sure. What with magic and science not being compatible and all. But considering how intrinsic magic seems to be to this world, my guess is I would’ve died already if that were the case. Also, I still have to test if I can convert magic particles into usable energy for my augmentations.

All in all, it’s been a good day!

Well, until now.

The streets are lined with a strangely large number of guards with emblems that look reminiscent of the Fortalie national coat of arms I’ve seen in less fictional the books. They’re leering at us. Whispering among themselves. I keep forgetting that, especially the men around here, seem to have an issue with women walking around on their own as often as we do. Us minding our own business and holding hands just makes it worse.

At least we get a bit more leeway for being travelers and faux adventurers. We exist outside their backwards cultural practices. They might not like it, but they seem to be content complaining about us to each other. We could just travel elsewhere.

“I wonder why there’s such a large increase in guards in here all of a sudden. It was such a quiet village.

Avilia shrugs. “I am not quite sure. It could be because of the rebellion that has been ongoing for a year or so now, but I cannot say for certain.”

“Wait, there’s a rebellion?” I stop in my tracks.This is the first I’ve heard of that!

Avilia, still holding my hand, stops and looks at me. “Yes. Did I not tell you about it? It must have slipped my mind. I apologize.“ She takes a step closer to me and lowers her voice. “There is a peasant uprising and a beastfolk rebellion in effect right now. Although, based on my information, it is not just a peasants taking part in the uprising, and the two are intrinsically linked.

How’d you forget to tell me about that? Isn’t that a big deal?”

“Oh, it is. Of course it is. But considering how little a time you have spent here, I thought I should not burden you with everything at once, especially since it seemed like the uprising did not affect this village. It seems I may have been wrong. But I assure you, it merely slipped my mind that I had not told you about it.

I nod. I understand her reasoning, though I wish she hadn’t withheld this information. And you think the increase in security is because of the uprising?”

“It is the only thing that comes to mind that makes any sense at least. I have not heard anything at the guild, so it is likely that it was done without informing the guilds. It does seem to be some sort of an independent move by someone in the capital. Their insignia suggests as much.

It’s the national coat of arms, right?”

“The royal coat of arms, to be exact. There are some minor differences.” She gets a little bit closer still. “They look too well equipped to be regular city guards. They might be a part of the garrison from the capital. I have no idea what they might be after in such a small village with nothing particularly interesting in it.

I’m pretty sure you said this place isn’t supported by the capital, too.”

“I did. It is not. I checked. This village has been almost entirely funded by Strophie family since it was founded a few generations ago with no interest from the royal family or those close to them. Something strange is afoot.”

“I bet we’ll find out soon enough,” I say with a frown, “There’s nothing we can do about it right now. And I bet they’ll get suspicious if we just keep standing here in the middle of the street. We should get moving.”

“I agree.”

“Oh, guess what Karine did today?” I say as we continue walking.

“What did she do?”

I look at her, smiling. “She made the alterations she’d been talking about. I can cast spells outside her shop now.”

Avilia stares at me for a good few seconds. Even her puzzled face is cute. “I did not expect it to be this fast. How are they working?”

“No issues so far, everything’s ‘working within expected parameters’. I spent a good part of the day just casting spells to try them out. I’m still running some diagnostics, though. Just in case.”

“That is a relief. We had… Issues with magic interference originally. It took us a long time to shield hand-held equipment from the effect.”

“… Seriously?”

“Yes. Thankfully, for some reason, the things you are using have proven to be extremely resistant to it. As if it is not there. That is why I did not bother alarming you with the information.”

“Huh. That’s interesting. Scary, too. But interesting.”

As for me,” Avilia says, “My job for today was pest control.”

“Again? Just how many pests can you have in one village?”

I have wondered the same. Originally, I did wonder if someone was causing these issues on purpose. But I could not figure out why anyone would do such a thing, especially when they should know that there is someone in the village who will just deal with it. It seemed like a complete waste of time.

If it’s not for profit, they could be trying to make you seem ineffective, you know. Or that maybe you’re the one causing it.”

“Oh, the thought crossed my mind. But I asked the farmers. Apparently this is part of some sort of yearly migratory behavior caused by monsters moving around in the forest. They have had to pay for a seasonal exterminator every year before.”

And they have to pay you less for it, I take it?”

“It would seem so. I am not a specialist, and my rates are those of the guild. Pest control counts as a low risk task. They do not tell me directly that they are paying me less, but they have said as much at the guild without realizing I am there.”

“Figures.”

I should try to get her mind off of this.

Oh, guess what else Karine did today?”

“What did she do?”

“She told me she finally realized that Flore has feelings for her. And that they’re mutual, too.”

“That is great news,” Avilia responds with a smile, “I did think they looked like a cute couple. I was surprised when I found out that they were not involved. I hope they find happiness together.

“And we’re to thank for it.”

“We are? How?

Because Karine thought the same about us.”

“… She what?”

Avilia’s face turns red. It’s been a while since I’ve seen her get this flustered! I shouldn’t push too hard. This could easily backfire.

“For some reason, watching us two made her think of their relationship!”

It did…? Why?”

Because I love you. Because I want to share my life with you. Because my heart aches every day, fearing you might not share my feelings. But I’m not mad enough to tell you that just yet. I don’t want to scare you away.

“Because she doesn’t see women behaving around each other like we do all that often.”

I see.”

… Am I just hearing what I want, or is that disappointment in her voice? Her heartbeat is returning to normal. As if she didn’t get what she wanted.

This isn’t the first time this has happened.

She tolerates my flirting, and she flirts back.

With all that’s happened, she even wanted to keep sleeping in the same bed with me.

And those are just the beginning. The only way she could make her interest more obvious is if she came out and said it.

I shouldn’t be this dense. I’m not this afraid of rejection.

I shake my head. Focus. I don’t want to lose my chance.

I’m sorry,” I say and stop walking again, “That’s not exactly true.”

She stops in front of me, looking at me with confusion in her eyes. “It is not?”

Not exactly,I say, almost whispering, “She could tell. I’m the same as Flore.”

I lean in closer. She’s blushing harder than before, but she isn’t retreating, either.

“I love you.”

Finally all those unrelated things I mentioned... several chapters ago are done, so I can concentrate more on writing! Not that it'll necessarily show a whole lot on your end, dear reader, but in the back end, things are definitely easier.

78