[Vol.2] Quest 139- Embers of War
2.4k 1 65
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was getting dark, and the sun was setting over the horizon.

Whoosh!

Whoosh!

Sitting down on the Eastern walls of the city, Cirrus looks out to the setting sun. Nox had left to go about her day as she wished.

Coming up from behind him a high confident red-head came up.

“So this is where you were?” Alise said.

“Alise…what bring you here?”

“Nothing much. I saw you up here while on patrol and thought "Hm! He knows the joys of a high place!"” Alise comes and sits down next to him. “So what’s over the horizon that got you looking so dam far?”

“…Nothing, just the sun.”

“Hmm…are you in a slump?”

“A slump?” Cirrus thinks it over a bit. “No, I’m just having one of those days.”

“So you’re on your pe-“

“No, I’m just gonna cut you off right there Alise. If you finish that sentence I am going to throw you down this wall.”

“Then what?”

“Well…seeing as Evilus hasn’t been showing activity I started to think…what am I going to do when their gone?”

“…What do you mean? Aren’t we just gonna explore the dungeon and maintain peace? And also me beating you to truly become perfect and gain Lady Astraea's and everyone in the Familia's respect and admiration!” Alise said in a assured tone of voice.

“…Maybe…but I don’t know.” He said plainly.

Cirrus remembers what he said to Ouranos all the way back then, he wanted power to live a “Full Life”, but doesn’t he already have it? He has friends and family, a girl he loves, a stable income and fame….the only driving force he has is Evilus and his promise to Ouranos.

‘Then…there is the deal with Susanoo…he said he won’t leave until Evilus has been handled so Ai could return home…so maybe I could find a place in the Far East? But Orario can’t let go of me, I’m one of the two level 7’s in this world. Ottar is close but he hasn’t done enough to reach it yet.'

“Well whatever it is it can-“

B O O M!!!!

Silence overcomes them and they turn to see a massive explosion far in the west.

“Alise!!”

“Cirrus!! Go!!!”

Cirrus equipped his armor and ran as fast as he could.

 

Running as fast he could see several faces in horror or surprise.

“Tch!”

Cirrus ran even faster, leaping from building from building with great speed covering the city within 2 minutes.

When he arrived at the scene he found no one.

“Shit!” he looked around and he felt a faint gaze on him before quickly disappearing.

‘Shit! Shit! They planned this! But why!?’

“Help us!!!”

“Were still trapped!!!”

“Help please!!!”

‘There’s still people inside!?’

“I’m coming!! Wait!!”

Cirrus rushes to the building when another explosion occurred in the distance.

B O O M!!!

On the other side of Orario another explosion could be seen.

“Dammit!”

Cirrus jumped into the burning building that is close to collapse.

“Where are you!!”

“Over here!” one of the people shouted.

When he waved through the fire’s and arrived to find 3 people trapped under debris.

“Were saved!!” they all said.

“Hold on! I’ll get you out!”

Cirrus carefully removes the debris from them and helps one of them up.

“Thank you!! Thank you so much!!” the man said hugging Cirrus.

“H-hey I know I saved you, but I need to get-“

“Thank you!! For coming in!!” The man made a deranged smile and a feeling of danger washed over him.

“!?”

Everything was telling Cirrus to back off immediately. Out of pure instincts he punched the guy in the chin nearly tearing it off and began to rip them off of him.

“Ignite it!!!” said one of the other people trapped under debris.

Cirrus turned to see as they easily got themselves up and pulled something under their clothes.

“FOR EVILUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” they shouted at the top of their lungs before exploding.

“!?!?!?”

The explosion was quick, far quicker then Cirrus is able to change armor.

"Hecto-B O O M!!!"

 

Clatter!!

Clatter!!

Keeeen!!

From the rumble Hecton pushes the fallen debris where Cirrus could come out.

"Ugh!" From the explosion he was covering his ears, his ears were ringing making him a bit disoriented. "Fuck me...(Exousía, Adorn).” While his armor heals him he walks out of the destroyed home a bit wobbly. "Hecton thank you for covering so quickly."

"Sir not at all." he said from the shadow near his ears. "The explosion was considerably strong, had i not blocked it it would have given you 1st and even 2nd degree burns. Aside from that it's lethality towards you is close to zero."

"And what if those of lower levels?" Cirrus disengaged his armor and regained his balance.

"Based on information I have witnessed Level 3's should instantly die if they are as close as you were sir. Should they be a few feet away they will have a considerably higher chance of survival."

"Damn fanatic's how fucked can they be to create such a-" Off in the distance Cirrus hears another explosion. “Fuck.” His hands shaking a bit. “Dammit.” He gritted his teeth and tightly clenched his fists. He calmed himself as best as he could and quickly began to run. “(Sword of Damocles, sing your vespers.) [Dia Dikastí̱s]!!!!”

Lightning infuses Cirrus as he moves to get to the other explosions.

“Nox!! Tell Ai it’s a trap set by Evilus! The people inside could have bombs on them!! Give Ai the same level of respect you would for me!!"

‘Got it!!’

Arriving at one of the sites he finds Allen and Ryuu.

“You two!” he shouted.

“Kirin! Shouted Allen. “You got here late! There are-“

“Those people inside could be Evilus!”

“What!?” shouted Ryuu. “But their calling for help!”

“They did the same for me over there.” Cirrus points at the smoke off in the distance. “When I helped one of them they hugged me and tried to set off a bomb.”

“!?!?” Ryuu was a bit distraught of that. “So what their fanatics!?”

“Yes so I want you two to quickly go and tell everyone to be extremely careful alright! These bastards made a trap we can’t refuse.”

“Got it! come on elf!” shouted Allen running.

“…Cirrus are you going to-“

“I am, since I know their trick I’ll be careful now go.”

Ryuu then took her leave running as fast as she can with more explosions happening around the city.

“God fucking dammit!”

 

This was the beginning, embers of what would later be known as, The Great Feud. A period of time that made the streets of Orario a warzone. A time where breaking points are finally reached for many who are already on that edge and just need a little push.

I posted a new chapter out since I wanted to end it off on a bit of a cliffhanger.

65