Chapter 5: The Strange Man
2.5k 3 77
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Reiko POV

It's been a few days since I came to Traumland, and I can officially say, I have pants! After asking1begging - Cheryl Faye brought me a couple shorts! I do feel bad though, she looked very upset when I wore them instead of the dresses.

The people here are friendly but a bit overbearing. They treat me like some kind of saint, they give me free stuff, advice and generally try to get closer with me. A day or two before today I asked Faye if this was normal and she told me that it has been like this for the last decade.

"Welcome back Reiko, here's some commissions for the day"(Elise)

I opened the door to the commissioner's guild, oh yeah a commissioner's guild is basically like a, you know those uhh.... Adventurer's guild in anime? Like people who do not have a proper job can do manual jobs here and there requested by other people. Also the receptionist for this is guild is Elise! She is very nice! She has a black bob cut and green eyes.

"thank you..."(Reiko)

"As stiff as ever."(Elise)

Elise chuckled at me... Did I say something wrong, was there something on my face!? No... she said I was stiff, maybe I should smile?

I tried to make the biggest smile ever, bigger than the earth itself!2and your forehead Elise was taken aback then her face became a sorta weird smile, like the ones you'd make when someone does something wrong but you love them too much to be disappointed or  mad at. Instead of thinking about this I should probably let go of this smile.

 "help me sort materials at Hufschmied's Smithy. - Emery Hufschmied and don't forget to send your cutest worker..."(Reiko)

"Sorry, I gave you the wrong one"(Elise)

"No, I wanna do this one."(Reiko)

"Are you sure?"(Elise)

I nodded my head with determination, I've spent the last few days only doing easy work like, picking weed and cleaning windows. I have to do this, to leave this comfort bubble, it also pays 75 quils! Which should be around 7500 Yen!

"Ok then... Good luck."(Elise)

Before I could leave something caught my eye. It was a wanted poster with a reward of, 100000 quils... The person in the poster was also very weird. His face was concealed by a mossy deer skull, he was also large, and wore a tattered brown cape, he was intimidating to say the least.  He had large bulging muscles. His eyes were piercing, not in the way when someone attractive makes eye contact with you but the type that makes your body shudder.  

I could only gulp my saliva as I left the guild.


Third Person POV

Clank! Clank! Clank!

There was the constant banging of metal in the building. A short figure belonging to a well built woman, wearing a crude and bit rusty welding mask, can be seen banging a metal hammer onto the piece of glowing metal.  The blacksmith was sweating yet, her breaths were not shallow nor was she not slowing down.

"excuse me."(Reiko)

The blacksmith's attention was caught by the fox girl. Stopping at her tracks, she approached Reiko and took off her mask. Bending down to her level they saw eye to eye. Looking at Reiko, the woman's face softened.

"Hello, baby girl, are you lost?"(Emery)

"n- no, I am here because of this!"(Reiko)

Reiko handed Emery the piece of paper containing the commission.

"Oh, well I did ask for the cutest worker, but I didn't expect them to send a child. Hmmmm, this is pretty difficult for a child, so you can go home, I'll get someone else. Oh yeah, since you're here, have this!"(Emery)

Emery grabbed a bowl containing sweets and gave one to Reiko.

"No! I will do this commission, and thank you for this..."(Reiko)

"Are you su-"(Emery)

"Yes!"(Reiko)

"well, if you really want to do it then I guess it is fine."(Emery)

Emery gestured her hands telling Reiko to follow her. Opening a door, Reiko was greeted by a mountain of carts containing ore. Well more like a small hill, but to Reiko it could have been bigger than Mt. Everest. 

"The crates are labeled to which ore it is, can you organise them, put them where they belong over there. Usually I would want it to be done by the end of the day, but you can do it in a week!"(Emery)

Clenching her hands, biting her lips, Reiko stared at the boxes, fire in her eyes. She was determined not only to become stronger but because of the patronization. Holding the bottom of the crate, putting power in her body, as if she was donkey kong she raised the crate.

"H- Heavy!"(Reiko)

She has underestimated the power of the crate and the ore.

A smirk was drawn onto Emery's face, she took a hair tie and tied her salmon red hair.

"I'll be upstairs  if you need me~!"(Emery)


Stars shone in the night sky, it was like a canvas where the artist flicked a brush spreading paint everywhere. A little girl can be seen lying on a pile of crates, breathing heavily. 

"You should have listened to Elise and Emery."(Cheryl)

"shaddup."(Reiko)

"Hey language!"(Cheryl)

Cheryl reached her hand towards Reiko's soft cheeks and pulled it as if it was jelly.

"owch..."(Reiko)

Reiko's limbs were noodles, she could barely move a limb, however, she successfully did organise half the crates! 

"Hey... why didn't you help?"(Reiko)

"Well, you need to learn responsibility and I rather keep my ghostliness a secret."(Cheryl)

"But why?"(Reiko)

Cheryl's face contorted into a melancholic smile.

"You'll understand someday, when you get older."(Cheryl)

Cheryl patted Reiko's head, and to her it felt like the world was melting. It felt nice being spoilt by someone who cares about you. To her, it felt like being on a boat that gently drifts on the ocean floor, no worries, no pain, just the simple and easy swaying of the boat. It was paradise, but every ocean has its waves. The thought of why Cheryl stayed with her, the useless and weak Reiko. It was poison that she couldn't suck out, the thoughts of worry and distrust were storms to her paradise.

"It's time we should get home, Ms. Hufschmied did give you a week"(Cheryl)

Cheryl gently scooped up the drowsy Reiko and carried her out of smithy.


When the sun is gone and the moon is out, the city of Traumland turns upside down. The lively people aloft in the dreamland, the hardworking merchants counting their earnings. Only tranquility and silence prevailed in the night of Traumland.

"*yawn*"(Reiko)

Making her way home, Reiko let out a yawn. Her eyes were nearly fully closed, her fluffy ears drooping downwards. Cheryl guided the little lady down the streets, making sure she doesn't trip.

"!!!"(Cheryl)

Suddenly, the spirit disappeared, Reiko was confused, moving her arms to see where she was. 

Not knowing where she was, she soon bumped into something. It was huge and steady, causing Reiko to fall onto her bum.

Thinking it was a wall, Reiko slightly opened her eyes. Shock ate her up, because she was greeted by a large muscular man. A large scar ran down his face, like a fissure on the ground. His hair was dark and messy looking more like a lion's mane than human hair.

Reiko jolted, but her legs refused to get up, she was scared. Cheryl tensed, still invisible she prepared to send fireballs towards the man.

His blue eyes stared down to Reiko. When he bended down, Reiko felt like she was about to die.

"Are you ok?"(large man)

The man asked Reiko with a voice as gentle as the sea breeze. He extended his hands, offering Reiko help to get up.

Reiko was left speechless, she had thought that he was a monster, ready to break her apart, but he was instead friendly. With the man's assistance Reiko got up.

"Where are your mom and dad, where is your home?"(large man)

"I- don't really have parents... and I- I live in the army base...."(Reiko)

The mans grips onto Reiko's hand loosened for a second, his entire body twitched. His eyebrows raised and soon fell back down.

"I- see. What is your name then?"(large man)

"I- I- .... won't tell you..."(Reiko)

"Fair point, I wouldn't really tell my name to strangers I just met, it's pretty stupid if you think about it, especially if they just crept up to you."(large man)

"You can call me Hunter"(Hunter)

Hunter's entire attitude changed, although he was still friendly, he was more cautious.

"Then I'll be going now"(Hunter)

Hunter tries to shuffle off quickly but something fell from him. It was spherical and had a orangish hue to it.

"you dropped thi-"(Reiko)

"REIKO DROP THAT!"(Cheryl)

Cheryl swiftly intervened, grabbing the ball and tossing it away. 

As the ball landed on the ground, it exploded. Orange flames erupted, smoke emerging. The explosion sent a small shockwave throwing Reiko off balance. Hunter swiftly cocked his head backwards, disbelief plastered on his face.

"WHAT WAS THAT! WHAT ARE YOU HIDING!"(Cheryl)

Cheryl made a fighting stance while guarding the fallen Reiko. She was laser focused, ready to strike when the man made the slightest twitch.

"THERE SHOULD BE NO UPCOMING HOLIDAYS AND I DON'T RECALL ANYONE PREPARING FOR A FESTIVAL, THAT MEANS FIREWORKS ARE OUT OF QUESTION! IF IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE USED FOR CONSTRUCTION, IT WOULD BE AT THE SITE,  NOT IN THE POCKETS OF A SHADY MAN!"(Cheryl)

Hunter only stood staring at Cheryl, his look of disbelief dissipated and was replaced by a stern face that resembled a tiger, about to ambush its prey. There was nothing but the deafening  silence, the cold, callous and spine-crushing silence.

Crunch

Flames emitted out of Cheryl's hand, raging, destructive flames. Hunter had moved his left leg, taking a step forward. Cheryl's eyes glowed with ferocity that got brighter and harsher, the more the man drew closer. Hunter exhaled out.

"I'm sorry, forgive me for what I have to do."(Hunter)

His fist tightened, and after darted towards the two. 

"GET BA-"(Cheryl)

Bam!

It sounded just like a car crash, Hunter pummeled Reiko on her stomach. Air was knocked out of Reiko and before she could react, her ears started ringing. Hunter followed by thrashing Reiko's head with his other hand. 

Everything was blurry, all sound was muted out by the blood-curdling ring. Reiko felt like a part of her body was ripped off, it was just that painful. She wanted to scream but nothing came out, she wanted to run but her legs gave in. The pain distracted the girl of the blood streaking down her head. Eyes beginning to whiteout, out of breath, she fainted.

. . . . . .

"YOU, YOU MONSTER!"(Cheryl)

The fire on Cheryl's hand impacted with Hunter's arm. His skin was red due to the flame.

"Arrgh!"(Hunter)

Hunter balled his hands and threw it at Cheryl, before letting out a coarse growl. Unlike with Reiko, his hand completely fazed through her.  He backed away immediately, stunned by the fact. 

"A ghost."(Hunter)

Cheryl gritted her teeth, and began assaulting the man. Blow after blow, Cheryl was relentless. Although Cheryl wasn't as strong as him, it still felt like something was drilling into him. He tried blocking everything, backing away. 

"STOP! I don't want to do this, you made me, let me go, or she gets it."(Hunter)

Hunter screamed and took out another one of the spheroids, pointing it towards the now unconscious Reiko.

"Y-you wouldn't dare."(Cheryl)

Cheryl halted her attacks. She was pissed, absolutely pissed. She failed to protect her and now is helpless to do anything. These feelings clawed at her, the indescribable feeling of powerlessness. 

Taking the chance the large man escaped. 

The silence was drowned by the downpour of rain. Cheryl quickly floated towards the unconscious body and scooped her up. Anxiety is a parasite that clung to her back. Tears flooded her eyes, her hair messy. As fast as she possibly could she went back to the army base.

"Please live, please, not another one."(Cheryl)

is having blood gore? I don't know, better be safe than sorry

77