Chapter 6: An episode of Cheryl
1.9k 6 75
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Cheryl POV

Time had stopped, I didn't know how long I had been going. I was carrying Reiko through the town of Traumland, through the rain. I felt my heart pounding, I felt the water on my body.

"p- please, d d don't leave me.. Please"(Cheryl)

Reiko's pulse was weak, she was barely gasping for air. A downpour of tears trickled down my face. My arms were shaking uncontrollably. I wanted to save her right now, but I was powerless, I was weak, I was too weak to protect her. How many times have I lied to myself, how many times have I told myself I was strong, that I could protect someone.

The gate for the army base was nearby, right in front of me. 

"SHE NEEDS MEDICAL ATTENTION! HELP!"(Cheryl)

As soon as I reached the army base, I yelled to get attention. Soldiers within reach ran towards me and Reiko, I handed the bloodied kid over to them. She was taken away.

We moved towards the infirmary, all I could do was stay and hope she got better. 

"What happened'! Is Reiko ok!?"(Faye)

The warrior girl burst out of the door as Reiko was placed on the bed. Faye pushed the medics aside to take a look at her. Worry was the only word that could describe her face.

"Hey kid, wake up! This ain't funny! KID!"(Faye)

Faye held the shoulders of Reiko and shook her. She turned to face me. 

"YOU! What did you do to her!"(Faye)

"I- she was... She was attacked by a man called Hunter and I- couldn't protect her."(Cheryl)

She gripped the collar of my clothes shouting at me. I could have let her faze through, but I was too distracted to even do that.

"You, I, ARGHH!"(Faye)

Faye growled and banged her left arm on the wall. 

"Come with me! We need to inspect who ya are!"(Faye)

"I... can't, I am a spirit bounded to Reiko and the necklace she wears."(Cheryl)

"Miss please, people are trying to sleep."(medic)

Faye let out a huff of air, her once neat hair quickly turned into a bird's nest. Her fists clenched and her teeth grinding she left the room, closing the door so harsh that it made a sound akin to an explosion.

To be honest, I wanted to go with her, I couldn't bear seeing Reiko like this, seeing Reiko so hurt...

 "Excuse me, doctor, how is she?"(Cheryl)

"She is in no life-threatening danger... it will take her time to recover."(doctor)

The doctor had a strained smile on his face. I crossed my fingers, I prayed to the Gods and Goddesses that she would be fine.


"PLEASE, SAVE M-..."(man)

"Oh it seems like there was still another worm left."(???)

I stared in terror as the man in front of me got his life taken by the demon that stood in front of me. I couldn't believe it, one moment everything was fine and a second after, everything changed.

There were cries of pain from everyone, men, women, children... The once well-off and humble village was left in utter ruins, eaten up by the raging fire. Houses were destroyed, lives were taken, and it was all because of 'her'.

We were supposed to protect this village, we fought with all our might and never gave in, yet that was not enough. 

"Cheryl, you gotta r-HRAAHHH"(Flint)

I saw my once companion crawl trying to get away from the monsters before an arrow penetrated his chest, killing him then and there. I wanted to take his arm and get away, but at that time my legs were rendered useless. I was scared, I was scared that I was about to die.

My cheeks became wet, I wanted this to end, I should have listen to mom and dad, and now because of this stupid mistake, I was never going to even hear them again.

The demon inched ever closer, it's unhinged smile, toothy grin all engraved into my head. 

"Well since you are the last one to survive, I might as well give you a prize. Do you like that necklace of yours?"(???)

I could only stare in fear, words were just not coming out. 

"I'll take that silence as a yes~"(???)

At that moment she charged up a dark, inky orb and shot it at me. The last thing I remember was the burning sensation that accompanied it.

"Hyaaaaah!"(Cheryl)


I woke and was greeted by the cornflower blue sky and the chirping of birds. The village I once knew was destroyed, the houses barely standing, shops were rumble. Vegetation began to grow amongst the town, the fire that raged on was completely put out. Alone, I was all alone, I walked around to see if there was anyone, anything!

"Hello?"(Cheryl)

Nothing....

It should have been me.... I should have been the one to die, I was the one who failed. 

I'm sorry... I'm sorry

I'm sorry mom, dad, Flint....

Balling up into a ball, I could only cry this pain away.


"Strange..."(Cheryl)

It's been quite a while since I found myself alone here, I tried to move away only to find that I couldn't.... It was like there was a rope tethered to my leg, I couldn't certainly touch whatever is beyond the boundary but I couldn't really move away.

"Is it the necklace -OW!"(Cheryl)

Wondering what was wrong, I looked for what could be the reason I am stuck. I tried looking around and saw my sapphire necklace. I reached for it and grabbed it. But I didn't, instantly I felt a sharp paint on my hand.

"Is this cursed!?"(Cheryl)

'Maybe I could touch it when somethin else was underneath it?' was what I thought. I proceeded with that thought and grabbed it with a leaf.

"OWCH!"(Cheryl)

Seems like it didn't work... strange.


Days turned to weeks and weeks to months. Time marched on without me, without Cheryl. The sun and moon moved like a book. All I could do to pass the time was sleep and exercise, nothing more nothing less. Although I still needed to sleep, I never got hungry.

Loneliness chipped away at my sanity, hope dwindling away like a flame without fuel. I was ready to accept the embrace of the afterlife, I can no longer take it anymore. 

crunch

A crunching sound, a sound.... A CRUNCHING SOUND! I darted towards where it came from and saw a traveler boy. He seemed to be about 14.

"Hello, can you-"(Cheryl)

"AHHHHH GHOST!!!"(Traveler)

And just like that he ran away, horrified. Yeah... I would do the same if I was in his position. I am not quite alive... My body was transparent, I could faze through walls, fly... What am I? 

I gazed into the night sky filled with stars. 

"I missed my life..."(Cheryl)


Life has become stagnant, I can't remember the last thing I did nor will I ever will. People will run away from me, I was truly alone. 

"H- hullo? Anyone there? Anyone?"(???)

There was a sweet, angelic voice. I cocked my head to see whom it belonged to. A little beast girl, strange. Beast people are usually very connected, and she is barely old enough to be in elementary school! What makes it worse is that she is not even wearing clothes! Seriously, who will leave their child unattended like this.

She looked scared, looking at the ruins of the village. Maybe she was lost.... 

It took me a while to think, I wanted her to stay, but it would be better if she was in safe hands.

I took a deep breath and approached her, placing my hands on her shoulder.

"AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!"(???)

I did it again.. I scared another person. However unlike others, she didn't run, rather she closed her eyes and backed to a corner. 

!

It's my chance to talk to someone!

"Hey, hey. Calm down, I'm not gonna hurt"(Cheryl)

The girl relaxed slowly and lowered her guard. I saw her azure blue eyes poking out. She is ADORABLE! her hair was a silky white and her right eye was a beautiful ruby red and her left eye was like the ocean.

"Want to hear a joke?"(Ghost Lady)

She didn't respond in the slightest! I WILL TEACH HER MANNERS!

"Why did the farmer win an award? He was outstanding in his field!"(Ghost Lady)

"..."(Reiko)

"..."(Ghost Lady)

"pfft"(Reiko)

She started giggling like a fox, well I guess she is like part fox.

"You must have been scared when you first saw me. I'm sorry for scaring you. I wont hurt you, I promise, so can you uncurl yourself?"(Cheryl)

The lass began uncurling herself, and I just couldn't help it. I reached my hand out and pat her head. Her cheeks were painted in red, and my heart skipped a beat.

"D'awweee, you're so cute, I can just gobble you up! Oh yeah, hey little girl are you lost?"(Ghost Lady)

"Y- yes..."(Reiko)

"I see... Where are your parents?"(Ghost Lady)

She froze still, did I say something wrong?

"I- I don't know... I don't think I have parents..."(Reiko)

Oh... poor thing. My heart tugged at my heart, she must have had it hard. Doing what I could I quickly embraced her. I hugged her tightly, not letting go.

"I'm sorry."(Ghost Lady)

I felt wet tears on my back. I'd do it, I will protect you, I promise.


"Oh wait, I forgot to introduce myself. Hello my name is Cheryl Gunther, it is nice to meet you and I am indeed deceased."(Cheryl)

"And what might your name be?"(Cheryl)

"My... my name is Re- Reik- Reiko..."(Reiko)

"That's a lovely name!"(Cheryl)

"wh- what happened here and, why are you like that!?"(Reiko)

"That's.... a long story, as for me I am bound to a magical necklace after death."(Cheryl)

"*breathe in* a long time ago, I-"(Cheryl)

groowwwll

"..."(Reiko)

"..."(Cheryl)

"hahahah. You must be hungry, there should be some fruit nearby. Wait here while I go get them."(Cheryl)

I was happy, it wasn't much but I finally had someone to talk to, and she was adorable too! 

I floated towards the trees nearby. I picked a karikari aka since it's sweet and every little girl likes sweets!

I brought it to her and she was skeptical, almost as if she had never seen it. 

"I see... It's completely safe to eat, I promise"(Cheryl)

Reiko was still very doubtful, her eyes filled with suspicion.

"!!"(Reiko)

Her eyes widened and her eyes sparkled like the midnight star. She was so cute~! I just wanted to squish that cheek of hers! I could only smile at her euphoric face.

"It's getting late, here I'll start a fire"(Cheryl)

I focused mana into my palms and formed an ember to start a campfire.

"WAS THAT MAGIC?"(Reiko)

Uhh, wha? Of course it is... why is she so surprised, is it her first time seeing this?

"Y-yes."(Cheryl)

"CAN YOU TEACH ME?"(Reiko)

I felt like I was about to die of diabetes.

How could something this cute exist? I cannot say no!

"Of course! But right now let's try to get some shut eye ok?"(Cheryl)

"OK!"(Reiko)

The sky was painted black, I only heard the crackling fire. I couldn't help but plaster a smile on my face.

"How long has it been since I last saw another person? Heh, I can't even remember."(Cheryl)


Those memories were from a while ago...

"Ch- cheryl?"(Reiko)

W- was that Reiko?

My shot opened and to my relief there she was, awake. Without a moment's notice, I squeezed her tightly. She was really here, safe.

"Don't scare m- me like that."(Cheryl)

The last thing I heard was the voices of the surprised medics.

 

Dad am I doing good as an author?
  • No Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Yes Votes: 41 21.2%
  • You are adopted Votes: 47 24.4%
  • How did you get in my house!? Votes: 103 53.4%
Total voters: 193
75